Homecoming

Be My Bias

You were still debating whether or not you were going to tell Taemin that you were going to homecoming with Kevin. Well, he’d find out Saturday night anyway so it didn’t really matter. The school week seemed to drag on forever because you were excited to go shopping with Deanna on Friday. When you told your parents that you were going to homecoming, your mom actually started crying. They said to pick out the best dress, no matter what it cost, as long as it didn’t go over $200. You weren’t planning on buying an expensive dress, just a pretty dress that would look nice on you. Tuesday, Taemin did show up for school and you guys presented your project and the teacher was really impressed and you guys got an A on it. On Thursday night, you went over to Kevin’s house and started looking at dresses online with Deanna. You couldn’t decide on which ones to get. They were all beautiful.

Finally, it was Friday afternoon. You and Deanna were all giggly as you walked to Kevin’s car so he could take you shopping. He was waiting for you two in the driver’s seat. You climbed in the passenger seat.

“So where to first”, he asked, turning the car on once Deanna was seated in the back.

“The mall of course”, she answered.

“Yes ma’am”, Kevin said saluting and pulling out of the parking lot.

You two haven’t really talked much since Monday night when he asked you to the dance. Truthfully, you were really nervous. You turned your iPod on and listened to music the whole way to the mall. When you arrived, Deanna practically dragged you out of the car. You could tell she was really excited. You wanted to wait for Kevin to come and Deanna was pulling your arm.

“Calm down Deanna before you rip ________’s arm off”, Kevin said.

“Well if you’d hurry up slow poke”, she replied.

You walked through the parking lot and through the double doors of the mall. You saw all the shops and you couldn’t pick which one you wanted to go in first. Finally, Deanna spotted a dress shop and dragged you into it. Poor Kevin had to go in too because he had Deanna’s spending money. Then you remembered that he had to get a tuxedo, unless he already owned one.

Deanna went to one end of the store as you looked at some of the racks at the front. The dresses were reasonably priced and were really pretty. You looked through one rack and headed to another one when, a gorgeous purple dress caught your eye. You immediately picked it up and looked to find Deanna to show her. You found her holding up a blue and black strapless dress.

“Unnie look what I found”, she said holding up her dress when she saw you approach.

“Wow, Deanna!! That’s really pretty!!”

“Hehe thanks and I see you’ve found a pretty dress as well. Let’s go try them on.”

So you headed off into separate dressing rooms, trying your dresses on. When you came out of the dressing room, Kevin was outside waiting for you guys. His eyes widened when he saw you and he couldn’t stop staring.

“What do I look that bad”, you asked looking in the mirror.

No, you actually looked good. In fact, the dress made you look amazing. You admired yourself and smiled.

”What do you think”, you asked Kevin.

The only word he could get out was, “Wow”.

You blushed and Deanna came out wearing her dress. She too looked really pretty.

“Wow, unnie you look really pretty in your dress”, she exclaimed.

“You do too Deanna.”

“I’m definitely getting this dress. What about you? Are you getting that dress?”

“Neh, I really like it and it’s not that expensive.”

You both went back into your dressing rooms and changed into your regular clothes. You went up to the counter and paid for your dresses.

“So where to next”, Kevin asked.

“Well don’t you need to get a tuxedo”, you asked.

“I’m planning on wearing a dress shirt and black pants.”

“Then I guess oppa has to get a shirt to match your dress unnie”, Deanna said giggling.

“I might as well get Taemin one to match yours too.”

“Ugh, fine. I just need a shirt. I already have black pants.”

Dragging Kevin through the mall, you reached a men’s suit store. You and Deanna looked through the different colored dress shirts, looking for a purple and a blue one. Finally, you found them, in the right sizes and paid for them at the counter. With your bags in tow, the three of you walked to a food stand, grabbed a quick snack, and walked back to Kevin’s car. You only spent $65 on your dress and $35 on Taemin’s shirt. Deanna paid for her own dress and Kevin paid for his shirt, so now Taemin owes you money, but you were too excited to care about it right now.

When they dropped you off in front of your house, you immediately ran in and showed your mom your dress. She really liked it and she once again cried. You just rolled your eyes and told her you had to drop Taemin’s shirt off. You walked back outside and went over to Taemin’s house, knocking on the door. Aly answered and when she saw you, she called Taemin. He came to the front door and you handed him his shirt.

“What’s this for”, he asked.

“Your shirt for tomorrow night. We got one that matches Deanna’s dress.”

“Oh. Thanks ________. You didn’t need to do that, though.”

“I did it because I wanted to.”

Taemin smiled.

“So are you going to ride with us tomorrow night?”

You knew this would be coming. “Ani, I have a ride to the dance.”

Taemin shot you a quizzical look. “Who?”

“Well, I’m going with Kevin to homecoming. He asked me Monday night and I said yes.”

He tried to hide his disappointment, but it was obvious.

“Don’t worry. I’ll save a dance just for you, okay”, you said reassuring him.

His face lit up a little. “Sure. I’d like that. So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow night then.”

“Yep. Goodnight Taemin.”

“Goodnight ________.”

That night you couldn’t sleep. You were too excited. Many questions ran through your head. What if Taemin hurt Deanna’s feelings? What if Kevin tried to kiss you? What if Taemin tried to kiss you? What if Kevin and Taemin fought again? All these questions and no answers for any of them. You’d just have to find out that night.

Deanna came over in the early afternoon to get ready. She helped you do your hair and makeup since you never wore makeup much and you always had your hair in a ponytail. (this is how your hair looked and this is how Deanna’s hair looked)

“Unnie, we look so pretty!!”

“Heh, we do. I hope the guys will like it.”

“I’m sure Kevin will love it”, she said winking at you.

You hurried downstairs and checked the kitchen clock.

“Oh, the guys will soon be here”, you exclaimed.

“We better get out there. Oppa gets very impatient sometimes.”

After saying goodbye to your parents, you and Deanna headed out to the front porch, waiting for Kevin and Taemin to show up. They walked over at about the same time. They looked very handsome in their attire, their dress shirts matching perfectly with your dresses. Once Taemin saw you, he couldn’t seem to look away, Kevin doing the same thing. Both pair of eyes were on you and you started to feel self conscious. You purposely coughed to divert their attention back to reality.

“Wow, you girls look really pretty”, Taemin said.

“Yeah, what he said”, Kevin said, still in a daze.

“Yah, pabo stop staring and your date”, Deanna said pushing Kevin next to you.

Kevin nervously scratched the back of his head. “So shall we”, he asked holding out his arm to you.

“Neh”, you said taking his arm and letting him you to his car.

“We’ll see you at the dance”, Deanna called.

Like a gentleman, Kevin opened his car door for you and you took a seat. Getting situated in the driver’s side, he turned the car on and drove off towards the school. The car ride was filled with awkward silence. You looked back and saw Taemin’s car behind you. The drive took about 15 minutes and when you arrived in the parking lot, you guys got out and went to the double doors where you had to pay to enter. Kevin dug out his wallet and paid for you guys. You and Deanna were talking and giggling like girls. She was too adorable and you hoped that Taemin wouldn’t ruin her bubbly mood.

The four of you walked into the gym where the dance was being held. Everything was decorated beautifully. The theme of the dance was a masquerade and there was a teacher handing out masks. You each took one and headed into the gym. It was already dark and music was playing. You headed to the side and the four of you formed a little dancing group. Being the dancing machine he is, Taemin immediately started dancing, impressing Deanna who started dancing too. You and Kevin kind of just stood there awkwardly. You didn’t really like to dance, mostly because you thought you looked stupid doing it. Eventually, the dance got more exciting and the four of you were dancing and acting crazy. It was fun watching Deanna and Taemin dance with each other. They looked really cute together. Suddenly, a slow song came on and the couples were pairing up. Kevin offered his hand to you and you took it. You awkwardly wrapped your hands around his neck and he put his own around your waist. Most couples were really close together, but you guys looked uncomfortable, dancing at a distance. Seeing your awkwardness, Deanna pushed you guys together so that there was no space between your bodies. In a way, you were thankful to her because it cleared the awkward atmosphere. Soon you guys were enjoying yourselves without being weird around each other. Towards the end of the song, you even put your head on Kevin’s shoulder. You could smell his Ax cologne, which you loved because Taemin always wore it. Wait, why are you thinking about Taemin?! You can’t be doing that!! You mentally slapped yourself.

The dance went quickly and there were only about 15 minutes left. The DJ announced he’d be playing the last slow song and you remembered you had promised Taemin you’d save a dance for him. You went out to look for him in the hallway. You couldn’t find him, but you found Deanna by the punch bowl.

“Deanna, where did Taemin go?”

“Oh, I think he’s still in the gym. I came out to get something to drink.”

“Okay, kamsa.”

“No problem”, she said nicely.

You your heel and went to look for Taemin back in the gym. You went back to your little dancing area and still couldn’t find him. Just then, a pair of arms hugged you from behind. You turned around, but you couldn’t tell if it was Kevin or Taemin. It was dark and he was wearing a mask. Plus, if he had tried to say anything to you, you couldn’t hear because of the loud music. He wrapped his arms around your waist and you put your arms around his neck. You smelled Ax again so you knew it had to be Kevin. You laid your head on his shoulder, taking in his enticing scent. The song was ending and you lifted your head. You looked at his face, well what you could see because his mask was covering it from above his eyes to his nose. Suddenly, he started leaning his head in and his eyes closed. You weren’t sure what to do. You knew he wanted to kiss you, but you didn’t know if you wanted to kiss him back. Your instincts took over and you leaned towards him until your lips met in a warm and sweet kiss. The kisses were gentle and innocent, just like Kevin is. Also, this was your very first kiss and it was more than you expected it to be. After a few minutes, you parted and smiled at him. The dance was over and you walked out to the hallway to meet up with Taemin and Deanna.

When you finally got out into the lit hallway, you noticed that the guy you had just kissed was wearing a blue dress shirt instead of a purple one. You immediately ripped his mask off and behind it wasn’t the guy you had come to homecoming with.