Trying to Enjoy the Moment

Be My Bias

You had a sickening feeling deep in the pit of your stomach. You just slapped your best friend in the face after he kissed you; the second time that weekend he’s done that. You hated to fight with him, but what he did, well almost did, was unforgivable.

It’s kind of a bad time, but the current situation is very ironic. Taemin drilled into your head how all guys only want from girls and yet that’s exactly all he wanted from Deanna. That, and to make you jealous and/or punish you for going to homecoming with Kevin. Well either way, he was acting like a little child and he was causing everyone around him problems just because he was jealous.

Now, while he goes on with his life, you have to be the one to clean up his messes. How is that fair?! And only one good thing came out of this whole ordeal; you and Kevin are now boyfriend and girlfriend, a small reward compared to the big problem.

You thought about all this on your way back home. When you walked in your front door, you immediately headed up the stairs, not even going to the kitchen for breakfast. You went up to your room and grabbed your cell phone. You promised Kevin you’d text him about your chat with Taemin, minus the kiss. You didn’t think it was necessary to add more stress to his plate. This is what you texted him,

“Hey, Kevin. I just got back from talking to Taemin. He told me he doesn’t know why he did what he did. Basically, what I got out of him was he’s jealous of you and I and he was angry that you asked me to homecoming. That’s pretty much it.”

A few minutes later, Kevin texted you back. “He tried to my sister because he was mad at me!? Why couldn’t he have confronted me like a man instead of going for an innocent 15 year old?! And I just don’t understand what he’s jealous about. I mean, he’s had how many years to say anything to you and he was too much of a chicken to spit it out. His loss, though.”

“Honestly, I don’t know why he does what he does half the time. Anyway, how’s Deanna doing now? Did she come out of her room?”

“Yeah, she came out shortly after you left. She’s starting to feel better, thanks to you. She just told our parents that she must’ve eaten something bad at the dance last night and she wasn’t feeling well.”

“Well I’m glad she’s feeling a little bit better. How are you by the way?”

“Me? I’m a lot better now that I’m talking to you. ;) Speaking of which, are you busy tonight?”

“Besides lame homework, I’m completely free.”

“Do you want to come over to our house for a BBQ party? Your parents can come too!!”

A party at Kevin’s house?! That sounded like fun and you could use some right about now. “Sure, I’ll ask them if they want to go, but I’ll definitely be there. Who else will be there?”

“Awesome!! It’s at 5 and just my parents, Deanna, me of course, and some people that my parents work with. It’ll be pretty boring so my parents said we could invite some friends over.”

“Sweet, I’ll be there!! See you then!!”

“Annyeong ________.”

You ran downstairs to where your parents were sitting, watching TV. Excitedly, you told them about the Woo party tonight.

“Oh we’d love to go”, your mom replied.

“Great, it’s at 5.”

You were just about to go back up to your room to get some of your homework done when your mom spoke again.

“Is everything alright with Deanna now?”

You hated to lie to your parents, but you knew when things should be kept a secret. “Yeah, she just wasn’t feeling well. Something she ate at the dance, that’s all”, you said putting on a fake smile.

Your mom smiled back at you and you darted up the steps to your bedroom. Digging through your bag, you pulled out your worksheets for school.

“Ugh, don’t teachers realize we do have lives on the weekend?! Might as well preoccupy my mind with something productive.”

Until you had to leave for Kevin’s parents’ party, you worked on your homework; your boring Calculus, Chemistry, and English. 4 long brain busting hours later and you finally finished, giving you just enough time to get ready. You quickly jumped in the shower and when you were done, you pulled your hair back, put on a little makeup and went to your closet to pick something out to wear.

You decided on a pair of grey skinny jeans, a black tank top with white polka dots, a long grey baby doll shirt, black flats, and a black cardigan. It was a casual, but cute outfit. You checked yourself out in the mirror and satisfied with how you looked, made your way downstairs and headed out the door, towards Kevin’s house.

There were a couple cars outside so you figured that those were the other guests. You knocked on the door, but no one answered. You figured they must all be in the backyard, so you went around to the side of the house and let yourself in the gate. Sure enough, all the adults, Deanna, and Kevin were out back. When Kevin spotted you, a big smile came across his face.

“Hey, you’re here”, he exclaimed.

“Yep, here I am’, you said giggling.

“My dad is just about to fire up the grill. Here I want to show you something”, he said, grabbing your hand.

Butterflies entered your stomach and your heart fluttered. Kevin led you past a big garden that they had just started planting. Behind a bunch of bushes, there, right at the back of their yard, was a beautiful gazebo with a swing in it. You never knew it was back here. Kevin led you up and you sat down on one of the swings. He sat next to you.

“Wow, Kevin it’s beautiful!! Did you guys put it back here?”

“Ani, last weekend, I was helping my dad outside and I just stumbled upon it. Pretty cool, huh?!”

“I’ll say. It’s so romantic”, you replied blushing, turning your head away so Kevin couldn’t see your red cheeks.

You sat there for awhile just enjoying nature, your hand still entwined with his. The sun was starting to set and you had a perfect view of it. As you focused your attention on it, Kevin looked up into your eyes.

Giggling, you asked, “What are you looking at?”

“Just the most beautiful girl in the world”, he replied smiling.

You blushed again and were about to turn your head away, when Kevin’s hand met your cheek, caressing it with his thumb. As if on cue, your heads started leaning towards each other. He his lips and they met with your own in a sweet, passionate kiss, moving in synchronization. You were too busy kissing that you didn’t here someone approaching.

“Busted”, you heard Deanna say, laughing.

You broke off the kiss to see Deanna sitting on the other swing in front of you. Kevin shot her a small glare, but she just rolled her eyes.

“Mom and dad wanted me to tell you that dinner’s ready”, was all she said before she left.

“Thanks Deanna”, Kevin said sarcastically.

“No problem oppa”, she replied back.

“We’d better go”, you said, getting up from the swing.

Kevin grabbed your wrist and pulled you back down in your seat, kissing your lips lightly. You smiled as you and Kevin headed back to the party.