I Don't Know You Anymore

Be My Bias

That night, you couldn’t sleep. The scenario with Taemin and Deanna kept replaying in your mind. How could a guy you’ve been friends with for so long turn out to be like that? Maybe you didn’t know him as well as you thought you did. On the brighter side of things, you were now dating Kevin; your first boyfriend. How exciting!! In the morning, you planned to confront Taemin. How, well you didn’t know how, but you’d figure something out. If Kevin confronted him, Taemin would probably start another fight and/or he wouldn't listen, but maybe if you talked to him, he’d listen.

In the morning, you woke up groggy from lack of sleep. You dragged your down to the kitchen where your parents were. When they saw you, their faces held mixed expressions.

“How was the dance last night”, your mom asked, grinning awkwardly.

“Uh, fine I guess”, you replied sitting in one of the kitchen chairs. “How was dinner?”

“Okay. Kevin and Deanna’s parents are really nice”, your dad said.

Neither you nor your parents said anything. You could sense there was something on their mind.

“So, we got a rather strange phone call this morning.”

Uh oh, this can’t be good. “Strange?”

“Mrs. Woo called and wanted to talk to you, but I told her you were sleeping”, your mom explained. “She said Deanna is acting weird. She won’t come out of her room and she won’t talk to anyone, but you.”

“Me? Did Mrs. Woo say why she only wants to talk to me?”

Your mom shook her head. “I told her as soon as you woke up, you’d be over. “

As you were about to race out of kitchen, your mom stopped you. “Did something happen last night?”

“Don’t worry, mom. I have everything under control”, you said kissing your mom on the cheek before heading upstairs to get dressed.

Kevin POV

My poor sister. Ever since last night, she won’t talk to anyone, but ________. Mom called her house this morning, but she was still sleeping. I want Taemin to pay for what he did to Deanna. ________ promised she’d handle everything. I just hope she’s able to, but I have faith in her. Good news is we’re now officially dating!! I’m so happy!! I’ll always try to be the best boyfriend for her.

I was just getting up out of bed when I heard the doorbell ring. I ran down the stairs and opened the door, to see ________’s beautiful face. She smiled when she saw me. I smiled back.

“Good morning ________. It’s a little early for a visit, don’t you think”, I asked smirking.”

“I know, but your mom called my house and I wanted to come over and check on Deanna”, she said with a small frown.

I nodded and let her in. She immediately went up the stairs to Deanna’s room.

You POV

You walked up the steps to Deanna’s room and knocked.

“Deanna, it’s me.”

You could hear a small voice say, “Come in”.

You opened the door to find Deanna in her bed, covered by a mountain of blankets. You sat on the edge of the bed.

“How are you feeling?”

“Mhmhm. Mhmhm--hmhm.”

“Huh?”

Deanna sat up and her eyes were puffy and red from crying.

“I said I’m not feeling so good, unnie. How could this have happened?! Why did I let it happen?!”

“Deanna, you didn’t let anything happen. This happens to girls every day. It’s because he saw you as an easy target.”

“Yah, I’m not easy!!”

“What I meant was, you’re innocent and young. I didn’t mean you’re easy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for yelling at you unnie. I know you’re only trying to help.”

“It’s alright”, you said patting her back.

“So what happens now? Like do I report him to the police?”

You definitely didn’t want Taemin to go to jail because of this.

“Hm, well I don’t think the police will do much.”

“I just want to forget all of this even happened. Thanks for talking with me unnie. I needed it. I’m going to go back to sleep now.”

“Okay, just rest”, you said covering Deanna before you went back downstairs.

Kevin was waiting in the living room. “How is she?”

“She’s still upset and kind of confused. Ugh, Taemin really created a mess this time.”

Kevin nodded in agreement.

“What did your parents say?”

“I didn’t tell them…yet. I figured I’d let Deanna say something. I just can’t wrap my brain around it. She’s only fifteen.”

“I know. I can’t believe he’d do something like that. Well, I’m going to go talk with him right now.”

“Alright. Text me how it goes”, he said, giving you a small kiss on the cheek.

“Sure thing”, you replied grinning.

You stepped outside and took a deep breath. Now comes the fun part; talking to Taemin. You slowly walked over towards Taemin’s house. You knocked on the door. No answer. You knocked again. Still no answer. The family car was gone, but Taemin’s was still parked in the driveway. He was probably ignoring you. Maybe he went to your hill in the park. You your heel and headed off in the direction of the park. Sure enough before you arrived, you could spot Taemin’s figure sitting under the maple tree. He turned his head around when he heard you walk up. You sat down beside him on the grass. His eyes were red, like he’d been crying.

“What happened last night”, you asked with a level tone.

He looked at you with sad eyes. Then he turned his head back. Obviously, he knows about as much as you do at this point.

“Taemin, what happened?”

Surprisingly, he spoke this time. “I don’t know. I just couldn’t control anything. It was if I was outside my body looking at myself. I couldn’t think straight. I was angry at you, for going with Kevin instead of with me. I was angry at Kevin for asking you in the first place. I mean, we’ve been friends for 4 years now and he thinks he can just show up and take you away from me, just like that?!”

In a calm voice you said, “Taemin, Kevin didn’t do anything. The three of us could’ve been friends, but your jealousy pushed us apart, not him. You became jealous that I was hanging out with Kevin and then you just exploded. If you wanted to make a move on me, you’ve had 4 years, so don’t blame him for anything.”

“I just never thought--

“You just never thought what?”

“I never thought another guy would take--

“Spit it out Taemin”, you said becoming mad. “What? You never thought that another guy would like me? Or take an interest in me? Well, honestly, I thought that too. You’ve made me fear other guys because you wanted me all to yourself and you never said anything. If you liked me, then why didn’t you say so?! And another thing…”

You couldn’t finish your sentence because Taemin’s lips crashed into your own. You were taken aback as you pushed him away from you. Disgusted by his action, you slapped his cheek. He rubbed it, a red handprint forming.

“Ow, what was that for?”

“You can’t just kiss me and think everything will be okay. You’ve had a chance, many chances, but you blew every one of them and now you’re too late”, you said getting up and brushing your pants off.

“What do you mean I’m too late?”

“Kevin and I are dating now. I tried to talk to you. I still can’t come to terms with what you did. After all these years, I thought I knew you, but obviously I don’t. Just stay away from me, Kevin, and especially Deanna. You ed up big time Lee Taemin”, you said leaving him sitting there with his mouth hanging wide open in surprise.