A New School Week

Be My Bias

Sunday passed and it was Monday morning. That day, you had to present your project with Taemin. You wanted to avoid talking to him today, but you needed to maintain your good grades so you had to it up and do the project. The crappy part of fighting with Taemin was now you didn’t have a ride to school so you’d have to either take the bus or ask your parents for a ride.

“Mom, can you or dad take me to school today?”

“Why, don’t you usually ride with Taemin?”

“Neh, but we had a fight yesterday and I’m not talking to him right now.”

“Oh dear, well I hope you guys make up. What about Kevin? He has a car.”

“Well see, I’m not talking to him either. They actually were fighting yesterday, umm, over me I guess you could say so I’m mad at both of them.”

“Oh, well lucky for you, I have some time before I need to be at work so I’d be more than happy to give you a ride to school.”

“Thanks mom.”

So your mom took you school that morning. When you arrived at your locker, Taemin wasn’t waiting for you. You didn’t see him anywhere. It was probably for the best. The homeroom bell rang and you rushed to your classroom. Taemin was still not there.

“Oh great if I have to do this presentation by myself, I’m screwed. He has the flash drive. That pabo better be here today.”

The late bell for homeroom rang and Taemin still didn’t show up. Soon it was time for first period History that you had with both Taemin and Kevin. When you walked into class, Kevin was there, but still no Taemin. You were getting really worried. You sat down in the seat in front of Kevin, still ignoring him. As the teacher walked in, he tapped you on the shoulder with his pencil and handed you a note. It read,

“Are you still mad at us?”

Of course you were still mad at them. So you replied, “Yes, I’m still mad. By the way, where’s Taemin? I haven’t seen him all day and we have a presentation 6thperiod.”

You handed him back the note. A minute later he handed it back. The new note read,

“I think he’s at home, probably playing hooky. When I left this morning his car was still sitting in the driveway.”

That’s strange. Taemin never acts sick. Maybe you did more damage than you meant to. You couldn’t focus through most of your classes. Finally, 6thperiod arrived and you didn’t have your project material. Hopefully the teacher would let you present tomorrow when Taemin was back.

“Taemin and ________, you’re project is up next”, the teacher called.

“Mrs. Sanders, Taemin is absent today and he has our flash drive. Will we be able to present tomorrow?”

“Oh I see, okay yes. Even if Taemin isn’t here tomorrow, make sure you get the material ready for tomorrow. I won’t deduct any points today.”

“Thank you.”

Taemin is a very lucky guy, but that means you’ll have to go to his house and get the flash drive, which means you’ll have to talk to him. After 6thperiod was lunch. As you got your lunch and were sitting down at a random table, you noticed signs plastered all over the cafeteria that read, “Homecoming Dance this Saturday”. You completely forgot about homecoming, although you never went. You and Taemin usually spent those nights watching movies at your house or camping out on your hill in the park, but because it was your senior year, you wanted to go, but you didn’t want to go alone, so that means you had one of two options; you would either have to go with both of the guys or pick between them. Why was a teenager’s life so hard?!

The rest of the school day went by painfully slow. Finally it was 3 and time for everyone to go home. You didn’t want to have to ride the bus and your parents couldn’t pick you up so you had to it up and ask Kevin to drive you home. You spotted him in the hallway putting books into his locker.

“Kevin”, you said quietly.

He turned at the sound of his name. A smile plastered across his face.

“Yes ________. Need something?”

“I was umm, wondering if you could drive me home.”

“Sure no problem.”

“Really?!”

“Yeah, I’ll be happy to drive you home.”

“Oh thank you so much!!”

“Don’t mention it.”

So you walked out to the parking lot with Kevin to his car and saw his little sister waiting for him.

“Oppa, it’s about time you got here. I’ve been waiting forever.”

Then she saw you.

“________ unnie, so you’re the reason oppa was late”, she said wiggling her eyebrows.

“Umm, yeah I guess haha.”

“Just get in the car Deanna.”

Deanna started laughing as she sat in the backseat of Kevin’s silver Focus. You rode in the front passenger seat. Kevin got in the driver’s seat and drove out of the parking lot.

“So how was school today”, you asked Deanna.

“School well, it was school”, she said giggling.

“Well put”, you said joining in on her giggle fit.

“So do you know how much Kevin oppa talks about you?! It’s ________ this and ________ that.”

“Deanna, shut up”, Kevin yelled.

“He talks about you a lot in his sleep.”

“Deanna, shut it!! I will pull this car over and come back there and beat you up.”

You laughed at how flustered Kevin was getting which made Deanna start laughing again.

“Aww, I think it’s cute, Kevin.”

Kevin’s face was noticeably red as he kept driving.

“So ________ unnie, are you going to homecoming this Saturday?”

“I was thinking about it. Why?”

“Well, I need someone to go dress shopping with Friday after school and oppa said he won’t take me if I don’t have another girl to go with me. Will you please go with us?! Pretty please!!?”

Chuckling at Deanna’s aegyo you said, “Sure I’ll be happy to go with you, that’s if it’s alright with your brother.”

“Of course it is”, Deanna said without letting Kevin have a chance to reply.

“And unnie, do you think if I asked Taemin oppa to be my date, umm do you think he’ll say yes?”

You were very surprised that Deanna liked Taemin. You of course didn’t know what he’d say and you didn’t want to give her false hopes just in case he would turn her down.

“Well, I guess you’ll just have to ask him to find out.”

“Okay, I’m so nervous. Will you ask him for me?”

“I could, but don’t get disappointed if he says no.”

“Oh okay”, she said sadly.

“Hey, he’ll only say no because he’s a big pabo. He’ll be stupid to say no.”

“Heh you’re funny unnie. I like you.”

Soon the three of you pulled up into Kevin and Deanna’s driveway. You thanked Kevin, said goodbye to Deanna, and walked over to Taemin’s house. You had two missions to complete here. First was to get the flash drive that had your project on it and the second one was to ask Taemin to homecoming for Deanna. You knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer. A minute or so later, someone opened the door. It was Taemin. He looked a little tired and he was still in his pajamas. His expression told you he was surprised to see you.

“Hi ________. This is umm unexpected.”

“Yeah I know but I have some things that I need from you. May I come in please?”

“Uh, sure. Please come in”, he said letting you in before closing the door. “What can I do for you?”

“I need the flash drive with our project saved on it. We had our presentation today and I couldn’t do it because you have the project. Mrs. Sanders gave us an extension until tomorrow whether you’re there or not, so yeah.”

“Oh I completely forgot our project was due today. I’m sorry. I’ll go get it right away. Wait here.”

Taemin ran upstairs to his room and came down with the flash drive.

“Thanks and by the way, you don’t need to apologize if you weren’t feeling well.”

“Oh, right. Need anything else?”

“Well, this is kind of awkward, but you know how homecoming is coming up this Saturday?”

Taemin’s eyes lit up with hope. “Yeah, why?”

“Well, Kevin’s sister, Deanna, asked me to ask you if you would go as her date.”

You saw his face drop a little.

“What’s she like?”

“She’s really nice and she seems sweet. You’ll really like her.”

“Well it’ll be nice to go for once so sure. Tell her I’ll go with her.”

“She’ll be so happy to hear that. We’re going dress shopping Friday after school.”

“You’re going to homecoming”, Taemin asked surprised.

“Yeah, I might as well. It’s my senior year too and I’ve never been to a school dance. Should be fun, plus Kevin said he wouldn’t drive her unless she had someone to go with. Well I’m going home now, so will I see you in school tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there. Can’t let you take all the credit for our project”, he said forcing a grin.

“Okay, well. I’ll be going. Annyeong”, you said walking out the door.

“Bye ________.”

You were going to go home first, but you wanted to let Deanna know Taemin’s decision. She’d probably die of anticipation if she had to wait. You went up to their house and knocked on the door. Deanna answered it almost immediately.

“So what did he say?”

“He said he’d love to go with you.”

“OH MY GOD!!!!!!”

Deanna’s screaming practically blew your eardrums.

“Deanna, what are you screaming about”, Kevin yelled from inside.

“HE SAID YES!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!! OMG OMG!!”

Kevin appeared at the door.

“He said yes”, Kevin questioned you.

Deanna went to go call her friends or spazz out some more, or both.

“Yeah, he did actually. You’d think because she’s your sister he would say no, but he said yes.”

“Sounds a little fishy to me.”

That thought never occurred to you. Taemin could be planning something, but surely he wouldn’t have enough heart to hurt Deanna’s feelings, would he?

“Now that you think about it, yeah it does seem a little suspicious. You don’t think he’d hurt Deanna do you?”

“I don’t know. You’ve known him longer than I have.”

“We’re probably just being paranoid. Well, I have to get home now, so I’ll see you at school tomorrow, araso?”

“Neh, wait so does this mean you’re not mad at me anymore?”

“I guess so”, you said with a smile.

“Cool, I’ll see you tomorrow and if you ever need a ride, let me know. My car is always open to you.”

“Thanks oppa. Bye.”

Kevin said goodbye and closed the door. You walked back to your own house finally. You knew you wouldn’t be able to stay mad at Kevin for long. He was just too sweet to stay mad at. You went up to your room and sat down at your desk, turning on your laptop. Your room always seemed to get stuffy so you opened your window. Just as you were about to go back to your desk, you saw something out of the corner of your eye. You turned back around to see Kevin at his window, waving at you. He had a notepad in his hand.

He wrote something down on it. When he turned it around it said, “Hi.” You and Taemin used to do this too so you grabbed your notepad out from under your bed and wrote, “Hi” on it and showed it to Kevin. He wrote something else on his. It said, “Will you go to homecoming with me?” You looked over at his hopeful face and you could see he was blushing. With shaky hands you wrote on your notepad and turned it around for Kevin to see. Your notepad said, “Yes”.