New Neighbors

Be My Bias

Like every day after school, Taemin would drive you home since you lived right next to each other. When he pulled his car into the driveway, you saw a moving van sitting outside the house that was next to yours.

“Hasn’t that house been up for sale for awhile now”, Taemin asked.

“Yeah, the old couple that used to live there moved into a retirement home almost a year ago.”

You started getting curious as to who your new neighbors would be. A middle aged couple was moving furniture into the house. The woman saw you staring at them and came over to say hello.

“Hi, I’m Andrea Woo. You must be one of our new neighbors.”

 “Hello Mrs. Woo. I’m ________. It’s very nice to meet you.”

Just then, a car pulled up behind the van.

“Oh, my children are home from school. Would you like to meet them?”

Children? Hopefully they weren’t annoying little kids.

“________, this is my daughter Deanna and my son Kevin. They go to the same school you do.”

Standing before you was Kevin, the guy that you’d met earlier in school and a younger girl, maybe around 15, with long brown hair.

Cracking a smile, you said, “It’s a pleasure to meet you both. Let’s be great neighbors.”

“Believe it or not mom, I’ve actually met ________ already. She and her friend Taemin helped me find my classes today. They were very nice to me. By the way _________”, Kevin said turning to you, “Where is Taemin?”

“Oh, he had to get started on his homework. He lives at that house right there”, you said pointing to the Lee family house.

Kevin seemed to frown slightly, but you probably just imagined it.

“That’s great”, Kevin exclaimed. “Now we can be great friends!!”

“Sure we can. And Taemin even has a little sister around Deanna’s age but she’s at piano practice right now. She’ll be back later though.”

“Don’t forget to come and unpack your things when you’re done talking”, Kevin’s mom said from the front porch.

“Yeah, mom I’ll be right there. Deanna why don’t you go help mom and dad unpack?”

“Ugh, I guess”, Deanna said slinking off to the house.

“So do you have any siblings”, Kevin asked you.

“Nope. Just me and my parents. I’m an only child.”

“Oh, must get lonely sometimes though?”

“Sometimes, but I’m always with Taemin so I’m never really alone.”

“You two are close?”

“Yes, very. We’re practically brother and sister. We spend more time with each other than we do with our own families. He’s been my friend since high school started.”

“Well, I hope that one day, the three of us will become close like that”, Kevin said with a smile.

“I’d like that. By the way, do you need any help unpacking?”

“That would be great, but I don’t want to trouble you.”

“It’s no trouble. My parents won’t be home from work for a few hours yet anyway so I have some free time”, you said grabbing a box off the moving truck.

You were actually kind of curious to see the inside of their house. You were never allowed to go into the house when the elderly couple lived there. Taemin always used to tell you how they stored dead bodies in their basement. You knew it was farfetched, but it still creeped you out. You decided it would be funny to freak Kevin out.

“Hey Kevin. Did you know that the people who lived here before you guys put dead people in the basement?”

“Oh really?! Did you know that sometimes when I’m home alone, I wear my mom’s clothes?”

You were utterly shocked at his confession and judging by Kevin’s burst of laughter, your face showed your surprise.

“It’s a joke, but the look on your face was priceless.”

“Thanks. I’m glad my face amuses you”, you said joining in on his laughing fit.

“You’re quite welcome. Now we have to take these boxes to my room”, he said walking up the stairs towards the second floor.

The Woo house was much like yours and Taemin’s. In this neighborhood, all of the houses looked the same. The only difference was the outside paint color. Yours was off-white, Taemin’s was a light blue, and Kevin’s was tan in color. Kevin stopped in front of one of the second floor rooms, the one with the window that faced your house. Outside Kevin’s window, you could see your own bedroom window. It can’t just be a coincidence that your bedrooms are facing each other. You let that thought escape your mind as you helped Kevin unpack some of his boxes.

“Coming”, you could hear Kevin’s sister yell from downstairs.

Then footsteps on the staircase. And finally, Taemin’s figure standing in Kevin’s bedroom doorway.

“Oh there you are!! I’ve been looking all over for you”, he exclaimed.

“Well, you found me”, you said with a laugh. “I’ve been helping our new neighbors move in.”

“How sweet of you”, Taemin said coming over and pinching your cheeks.

You brushed his hand away. Taemin knew you hated that so why did he do that and in front of Kevin yet too?

“Well it’s always nice to have friendly people to welcome you into a new neighborhood. I know it was tough for me when I moved here, but I got through it, especially because I had you there to help me”, you said implying Taemin at the end.

“I’m just glad I found some kids my own age. I’ve never made friends easily”, Kevin explained sadly.

“Oh why? You seem so friendly and sweet. How could someone not want to be friends with you?!”

“I’m not sure why, but I suppose people have their reasons.”

Seeing Kevin sad made your heart break and although you just met him that day, you pulled him in for a big hug. You even forgot Taemin was still standing behind you until he cleared his throat, very annoyingly you might add.

“Don’t you think we should be getting to our homework now, ________? That project is due by Monday and we’ve barely started it.”

You don’t know what got into Taemin, but he was acting, well rude.

“Oh yes. Well I’m sorry I can’t stay longer, but I have homework, like Taemin said so I guess we’ll see you at school tomorrow, araso.”

“It’s okay and thanks again for your help. I’ll see you guys later.”

Leaving the Woo house, you finally went to your own home with Taemin following you like a puppy. You went up to your room and threw your school bag on the floor. Taemin plopped down on your bed.

“What was that”, you strictly asked him.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Umm, do you have short term memory loss because I distinctly remember you acting like a jerk towards Kevin.”

“Okay, don’t you think it’s a little coincidental that he just so happens to live right in our neighborhood?”

“Umm, no. Not really.”

“And why is he so, so umm what’s the word.”

“Umm nice maybe?”

“Too nice. He seems a little weird, don’t you think? Like isn’t it odd how he hugged you? What kind of person hugs someone they just met?”

“Me. I hugged him.”

“Well it looked like he was way too into the hug if you know what I’m saying.”

“Ugh, you’re so gross. Let’s just drop it okay. You’re the one who wanted to work on our project anyway, so get started mister”, you said lying down on your bed, closing your eyes.