The Aftermath

Be My Bias

You came back from the bathroom and you suddenly felt as if the atmosphere had become as thick as butter. Something definitely happened while you were gone.

“Mianhae for making you guys wait long.”

“It’s okay. So are you ready to go home”, Taemin asked sweetly.

Woah, total demeanor change from earlier.

“Neh, I’m tired”, you said yawning to emphasize your exhaustion.

To your surprise, Taemin threw his arm around your shoulder and walked you back to the car with Kevin following behind. Because your stuffed hello kitty was so big and you didn’t want Kevin to have to sit with it, you let Kevin sit up front while you laid down in the back and used your giant stuffed animal as a makeshift pillow. As soon as Taemin got on the highway, you were out like a light.

When you woke up, it was still dark outside so you couldn’t tell where you were at. You weren’t moving so you knew you weren’t in Taemin’s car. Getting up, you felt around the room until you came to a light switch. When the light flickered on, you saw that were in your own room. You don’t remember being woken up to go to your bed after you and the guys got home so either they must have either guided your sleeping body to your room, or carried you up. Realizing your surroundings, you flicked your light back off and climbed back into bed, but you couldn’t sleep. You got back up and put your slippers and a jacket on and went outside. Walking always cleared your mind and made you fall asleep. Your mom told you that when you were a baby and wouldn’t sleep, she’d take you around the block in your stroller and by the time you got back to the house, you’d be fast asleep. You had just started walking past the Woo residence when their front door opened. Coming down the porch steps was none other than Kevin himself. He was surprised to see you outside so early in the morning.

“What are you doing out here so early”, he asked you curiously.

“Couldn’t sleep. You?”

“I always take a walk at this hour. It lets me think clearly.”

“Well, we might as well walk together since we’re both here.”

The both of you started walking. At first you stayed silent, but then striking up a conversation seemed like a good time passer, plus you wanted to know what happened between him and Taemin while you went to the bathroom.

“So what happened? You know, back at the amusement park.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“When I came back from the restroom. I could tell the air was tense. Why?”

“Oh, Taemin and I just had a small disagreement. That’s all.”

“How small is small?”

Chuckling he said, “Curious are we?”

“Very. Was it about me?”

“That’s for us to know and you to never find out”, he said continuing to laugh.

“Yah, pabo. Tell me”, you said lightly punching Kevin’s chest.

His chest. The same chest that your head rested on mere hours ago. That soft, yet strong chest. You were just about to put your hand back down at your side, when Kevin grabbed your hand and held it in his own.

“You have such soft hands”, he said.

Because it was dark, he couldn’t see you blush, but when he put his hand to your face, you knew he could feel your heated cheek.

Surely smirking he said, “Why are you embarrassed?”

You really couldn’t think of a good excuse because Taemin’s done much skinship over the years and you guessed you’ve gotten so used to his touch, a new guy’s touch was well, exciting and made you blush. Kevin removed his hand from your face and instead, took yours in his own and continued to walk down the street. It was nearly sunrise and the sky was turning pretty shades of oranges, pinks, and reds. There was a nearby playground with a big hill that you used to sit on and just think about the world and life. It would be the perfect spot to sit and watch the sunrise.

“Hey, I’ll race you to that hill in the distance”, you told Kevin, pointing to the visible hill.

“On 3. 1--2--3!!”

And you were off, running in the cold morning air, keeping a steady pace with Kevin so you reached the hill at the same time. You laid down on the damp grass and tried to catch your breath. Kevin lay down next to you. Watching the morning sky turning different colors was a wonderful sight. You kind of felt a little guilty because during the summers, you and Taemin did this and sometimes even took a tent and camped out here, just to be here before the sun rose.

“What are you thinking about right now”, Kevin asked out of the blue.

“Hmm, I’m thinking that how I wished all mornings could start like this one, and not just for me, but for everyone. Then the world could be a much happier place to live in.”

Of course, that was a lie, partially anyway. You did wish that you could spend every morning like this, but all good things must come to an end.

“So what are you thinking about”, you asked Kevin back.

“I’m thinking that I’m glad I’ve finally found a friend who doesn’t care what I look like and how I act” he replied turning on his side to face you.

Touched by his honesty you said, “Well, I’m very glad I could be that friend. I am that friend, right?”

“Of course you are, pabo”, he said laughing and gently slapping your arm.

Laughing along with him, you felt joyful and continued to lie facing the sky. Suddenly, Kevin started singing.

Saying I love you,

Is not the words I want to hear from you.

It’s not that I don’t want you,

Not to say, but if you only knew.

How easy it would be to show me how you feel.

Cause I already know.

 

 “You’re an amazing singer, Kevin. Did you ever think of becoming a professional singer?”

“I’ve thought about it. It’s just, I had a friend that went and auditioned to become a singer.”

“What happened to him?”

“He made it and moved away and I never saw him again. A few years later, he finally came back to visit and he just wasn’t the same. It changed him, both physically and mentally. Right then and there, I knew I didn’t want to go through what he did.”

“Oh I see. So what do you want to do after high school?”

“Hmm, I’m not really sure yet. I mean, I have my whole life ahead of me to decide. That’s what bugs me about adults. They are always asking me what I want to do right after I graduate and it makes me feel like I have to rush to decide the rest of my life. Why rush things, ya know.”

“I know exactly how you feel. I’m planning on going to college next fall, but I’m not sure what I want to major in yet.”

“Did your parents talk you into going to college?”

“They told me I can choose whatever I feel is right for me.”

“That’s good. My parents are the same way. We’ve sat down and talked about me going to an arts and music academy, which is something I’d love to do, but nothing is set in stone yet.”

“I wish Taemin was more like you.”

“Why is that?”

“Well because, he already has his whole life planned out. A dance and music school next year, then he’s going to another school for science, which will take four years. I mean, I can barely plan what I’ll wear the next day, but no, not him. But I do admire him for it though. He’s got his head on straight and that’s one of the reasons we’re such good friends. We’re both compulsive and organized and we think ahead. I only think ahead a few days, but still.”

“Seems like you two are made for each other”, Kevin said smirking.

“Well, they do say that there is a soul mate out there for everyone.”

“I suppose. So, how do you feel about him?”

“How do I feel about him? He’s my friend. What else is there to feel?”

“No, I meant, like, do you have feelings for him?”

You were shocked by Kevin’s bold question.

“Not to be rude, but what’s that any of your business?”

“It’s just a simple yes or no question.”

“I don’t feel comfortable discussing my private life with you. Look, my parents will soon wake up so I have to go home. I’ll talk to you at school tomorrow.”

So you just got up, brushed your pajama pants off, and walked home, leaving Kevin sitting there by himself.

“Geez, where does he get off on asking me how I feel about Taemin. Why is that any of his concern!?”