Nothing Matters Anymore

Be My Bias

“Honey, Taemin’s been in a car accident.”

You felt like you were just shot. Your whole world stopped, yet it was spinning at the same time.

“________ are you still there”, your dad asked.

“How bad”, you choked out.

“We don’t know yet. He was rushed to the hospital via ambulance. We’re going there right now. We will pick you up at your friend’s house. Where does she li--

“NO!! I mean, it’s okay; I’ll have my friend drive me to the hospital. I’ll talk to you when I get there. Bye.”

Kevin looked at you confused. “The hospital, what about a hospital?”

You put on a bra and put your shirt back on. “Can you drive me to the hospital?”

“Uh, I can’t go into the hospital with this thing”, he said pointing to his crotch.

“Fine, then give me the keys to your car”, you demanded.

“________, will you please tell me what the hell is going on”, he yelled.

“You wouldn’t care even if I did tell you. You hate him and could care less.”

Kevin grabbed both of your shoulders and made you look at him. Tears started streaming down your cheeks.

“Let me go Kevin”, you said trying to pry him away from you, but his grip just got tighter.

“NO, not until you tell me what’s wrong!!”

“Kevin Woo let go of me NOW”, you screamed finally twisted yourself out of his grip.

Grabbing your shoes and your bag, you unlocked the door and rushed to the elevator. Kevin came darting out the room, chasing after you. Just as he reached you, the elevator door closed with you inside.

The ride down went by painfully slow. Finally the elevator doors opened again and you rushed out, pushing past the people that were waiting for the elevator. You didn’t care if you were being rude, nothing mattered at that point. Adrenaline was your only ally.

You tried to figure out where the hospital was from here. You figured it was a good ten or twelve blocks so you started running and you didn’t stop, not even when your lungs were burning and you felt like you were going to collapse.

You could now barely make out the hospital in the distance so with what little energy you had left, you pushed yourself until you could barely walk, let alone run. You finally made it in front of the ER entrance and burst through the doors, frantically searching for your parents.

“________ over here”, your dad yelled.

You turned around and ran right into your parents’ arms. Your cries were choked because you were still trying to catch your breath. Your mom started crying again and you hugged her even tighter. Your dad sat back down again and eventually so did you and your mom.

“Do you know what’s going on”, you asked.

They shook their heads. “All we know is that he arrived here 10 minutes before we did”, your mom replied.

“Where are Taemin’s parents and Aly?”

“They were at Aly’s piano recital out of town. They’re heading back now. We don’t know when they’ll be here. The doctors won’t release any current condition information unless it’s to the family.”

You put your head in your hands. “Oh god, why did this have to happen”, you cried.

“Kevin, what are you doing here”, you heard your dad ask.

You looked up and saw Kevin running up to you guys. You saw he longer had his “problem”.

“Yeah, what are you doing here Kevin”, you asked furiously.

You parents looked at you. “Did you guys fight again”, your mom asked.

Both you and Kevin didn’t say anything.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Can I speak to you, in private”, you asked between gritted teeth.

You pulled Kevin out of your parent’s ear shot.

“What the hell are you doing here?!”

“Look, even if I don’t like Taemin, I don’t want anything bad to happen to him. I’m not a completely heartless person you know.”

“You could’ve fooled me back at the hotel.”

“Well I was worked up okay. I didn’t expect our special night to get interrupted by something like this.”

“Life is full of unexpected events. You just deal with them one at a time. By the way, what happened to your, well you know?”

“It’s better if you don’t ask. Look, let’s just wait and see what’s happening with Taemin.”

You and Kevin walked back to where your parents were sitting and sat down in the very uncomfortable hospital chairs. 5 minutes felt like 5 hours when you were waiting to hear about Taemin’s condition.

About 25 minutes after Kevin arrived, Taemin’s parents and sister arrived and they were told what his current condition is. Aly came over and hugged you tight, tearing falling down her cheeks. Taemin’s mom was in tears and his father looked like he would start crying any second.

The four adults left you, Kevin, and Aly sitting there as they talked amongst themselves about what the doctors said.

“Aly, what did they say”, you asked Taemin’s little sister.

“They said his kidneys are failing and if he doesn’t get a transplant soon, he’ll die”, she bawled.

“Can he get on the transplant list?”

She shook her head. “Not soon enough. And they told us none of us are a match.”

“Then I’ll do it”, you declared.

The adults looked at you. “What--what did you say”, Taemin’s mom asked.

“I said I’ll donate my kidney to Taemin. I don’t know if it’s match, but I’m willing to try.”

Suddenly a doctor came up to you guys. “Have you decided on what you’ll do”, he asked.

“I’m going to give my kidney to him.”

“Alright, we just have to check to see if you’re a match and then we’ll prep you for surgery. Please come with me.”

You followed the doctor back into a sterile room where a nurse did all the tests necessary for a transplant match. After she was done, you went back out into the waiting room, waiting for the results.

10 minutes later and the nurse and doctor came back out with the test results. They had heavy looks on their faces.

“I’m sorry but ________, you are not a match.”

You didn’t want to hear what had just come out of the doctor’s mouth.

“Then test me”, Kevin exclaimed from beside you.

Your eyes widened and everyone besides the doctor and nurse were utterly shocked.

“Follow us then”, the nurse said.

Kevin POV

I followed the pair back into the testing rooms. Even as much as I despise Taemin, seeing him die isn’t something I want to ever experience. At this point, I’m his last hope for survival so I pray that I’m a match. They poked and prodded me and when they were done, they sent me back out into the waiting room.

With hope in our hearts, we waited for the test results. Another 20 minutes went by and finally the doctor came back out.

“Kevin Woo, your transplant eligibility results are in.”