Moments Like These

Be My Bias

After your little “speech”, Taemin, his parents, and his sister left the party. Kevin’s parents told everyone else to go home, except you.

“We’ll see you at home sweetie”, your mom said hugging you tightly.

You hugged her back and followed Kevin inside their house. Mr. and Mrs. Woo were sitting at the dining room table. Deanna and Kevin’s mom was crying and their dad was trying to comfort her. You and Kevin sat down across from them, avoiding any looks you might get. You were emotionally drained at this point.

Their mom lifted her head and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. “Honey, Kevin, you guys should go. This is girl’s talk.”

Their dad and Kevin left and went outside to clean up the party.

“Deanna, ________, tell me what happened.”

You and Deanna looked at each other, then started telling their mom all what happened last night; from the dance to when you caught Taemin trying to have with Deanna. Mrs. Woo cried more than Deanna did. It seemed like she was over it that, or she was a very good actress.

“Are you going to press charges”, you asked carefully.

“I should, but it’s up to Deanna. Sweetie, what do you want to do”, her mom asked her.

“Like ________ said, why should someone’s whole future be ruined by one little mistake? Taemin’s human too. I won’t press charges.”

Deanna turned to you. “Tell Taemin I forgive him”, she said, smiling weakly.

Your eyes widened at Deanna’s statement. “I--I will. I’d better go now.”

After saying goodbye to Deanna and her mom, you walked through the back door to say goodbye to Kevin and his dad. Mr. Woo was clearing off the food table, but Kevin wasn’t anywhere to be found.

“Mr. Woo, I was just leaving now and I wanted to say goodbye to you and Kevin. Where is he?”

“He went back to the gazebo. He’s still a little shaken up.”

“Thank you Mr. Woo and I’ll see you later.”

“Bye ________.”

You walked through the bushes to where the gazebo was located at. You saw Kevin’s figure leaning against it, looking up at the stars. His face seemed to glow in the moonlight.

“Kevin, I just wanted to say goodbye before I went home.”

He turned to face you and ran up, embracing you in a warm hug. He started crying on your shoulder. You buried your head in his own shoulder and patted his back, trying to calm him down. When you parted, you noticed his bloody knuckles from when he punched Taemin in the mouth.

“Does it hurt”, you asked, holding it carefully, examining it.

Kevin shook his head. “Not really, but it felt damn good to give him a bloody lip.”

You were worried about Kevin’s sudden demeanor change. “You’re not going to act like this from now on, will you?”

Kevin laughed and pulled you closer to him. “Of course not. I’m not one to fight, but I was protecting my sister, you know that.”

“I know, just checking”, you said snuggling your head in his chest.

You stood against him for a long time; so long you almost fell asleep.

“I’d better go home now. It’s getting late. See you at school tomorrow”, you asked him.

“I’ll be there. Do you need a ride to and from school?”

You nodded your head. “If you don’t mind that is.”

“I don’t mind. I’d be happy to give my girlfriend a ride to school”, he replied, bringing you even closer to kiss you.

You smiled into the kisses before you pulled away and went home.

The next morning

You hopped in Kevin’s car, with Deanna sitting in the backseat and made your way to school. When you arrived in the parking lot, you could spot Taemin’s car in one of the spots close to the entrance. You could also see the group of girls that used to insult you, crowding around him as he stood against his car, waiting for the school doors to open. You ignored them and grabbed Kevin’s hand. Your skin tingled when it touched his own; a very happy feeling. Deanna walked behind you as you made your way to the entrance doors, where the other kids were waiting. You briefly glanced at Taemin who was staring at you. The head of the group of girls shot an icy look at you and stepped in Taemin’s line of vision. He turned his attention back to her.

The doors opened and students were allowed to go in. You went to your locker and grabbed your books out for your first couple of classes. You had to endure homeroom with Taemin, but at least you didn’t have to face him alone in first period history, which you had with Kevin as well. You hugged Kevin goodbye and walked into your homeroom. Taemin was already seated in the back. His head perked up when he saw you, but you ignored him and sat in the front of the room.

For once you actually paid attention to the announcements. When the bell for first period rang, you walked out of the classroom as fast as you could, hoping Taemin wouldn’t try to talk to you.

“________, wait up. I need to talk to you.”

You rolled your eyes and stopped so he could catch up.

“What do you want Taemin”, you asked coldly.

“I wanted to apologize to you.”

“I’m not the one that you need to apologize to.”

“Not about that. I meant I’m sorry for letting my jealousy get in the way of our friendship.”

You hated to say it, but without thinking you let it slip. “What friendship”, you asked even colder.

You didn’t even look to see what Taemin’s reaction was. You could literally feel his heart break. Hey, yes you were being a , but finally for the first time in your life, you were able to stick up for yourself.

“Taemin oppa”, you heard an annoying girl’s voice yell.

You looked up and saw the same girl that shot you the evil glare in the parking lot.

“Eww, what’s she doing here”, she asked, a disgusted look on her face.

“I was just leaving.”

“________, wait”, Taemin said reaching out for you.

“Don’t mind her oppa and don’t forget about our date after school, okay”, she said, showing the most pathetic excuse for aegyo she could manage.

“Yeah, yeah”, he said waving her off.

“You better not”, she said giving him a kiss on the cheek and skipping away happily.

While Taemin was distracted, you left smirking at how pathetic they both looked right now. You walked to your history class, seeing Kevin’s angelic face once you entered the classroom. You took a seat next to him, making the only available seat for Taemin was in the “spit zone” at the front of the class.

While the teacher started the movie you guys would be watching for class today, you pulled out your cell phone and texted Kevin.

“Ugh, another lame movie today? Well, it’s definitely better than doing worksheets.”

He pulled out his cell phone, read your text, and replied.

 “Yeah, totally better than worksheets. Taemin didn’t give you any problems so far today did he?”

“No, but apparently, he’s dating one of the girls that used to make fun of me. She’s one of the queenkas of the school.”

“Lol I know who you’re talking about. She’s annoying and her aegyo is a total fail. Speaking of dates, what would you like to do for our first official one?”

“Hmm, idk. What are good date ideas?”

“I’m sure I can come up with something by tonight.”

“We’re going on a date tonight?”

“Sure, why not.”

“Lol okay. We’d better stop texting unless you want to get in trouble.”

Kevin smiled at your reply.

“Mr. Woo please stop smiling at your crotch and turn your attention back to the movie”, your history teacher said out loud.

The whole class started laughing and Kevin’s face turned bright red.