Journal Entry #2

fight or flight

Journal Entry #2


 

   Today was full of surprises. 

   It all started after finally moving into my new apartment, not a house, near the company. I didn’t choose a house because I wasn’t ready for one; buying a house meant more space than I want and than I’m comfortable with. It felt like it would’ve been a waste of money because I’d probably spend my days out on purpose instead of living in it. So, I moved into my apartment, feeling excited about my new life there.

   I was taking a break on my couch from the move. It had been more exhausting than I thought it would be, even though I didn’t own much furniture. The heat in the apartment felt unbearable, but I didn’t make a move to turn on the fan because I was busy becoming one with the couch. There’s not much to do except that, and for once I’m content with it. It was right around then I heard a knock coming from the door. 

   My first thought was that it was one of the movers. Perhaps they had left a tool behind when they were doing their job. It seemed reasonable enough for me, so I stopped what I was doing and opened the door within a heartbeat. This is where things take a turn. 

   For some reason, Kim Yugyeom, my previous boss, was on my doorstep with a basket of fruits. 

   And while I might’ve been completely blown away by his existence on my doorstep, he looked better than I remembered him looking. I used to see him 24/7 in a tuxedo that fit him perfectly, too perfectly that made me think someone took his measurements and did it for him. Not that it would’ve been surprising, of course, Yugyeom had the money to do it. At that moment, he wore a basic white t-shirt with washed-out jeans. 

   It appeared as if he was also blown away by my sudden appearance. Yugyeom’s eyes opened comically before he spluttered out, “J-J-Jinyoung? Is that you?” 

   I told him that yes, yes it’s me. Then Yugyeom stared at me some more, and I frankly don’t blame him for it. I hadn’t told anyone at the company that I was back because it was meant to be a surprise after I told Youngjae and Mark first. They still don’t know, but it’s because I was busy with the move.    

   Yugyeom then handed over the basket of fruits without looking at my face. I asked him why he was giving these to me, and it turns out that we’re neighbors. Shock must’ve been evident on my face because Yugyeom snorted (and that’s a first because Kim Yugyeom, my boss, never snorted. He only gave out commands and turned red around my presence). He waved goodbye, and now I’m reflecting on my desk. 

   Just what happened when I was away? 

 

P.J.