Journal Entry #5

fight or flight

Journal Entry #5



   Today is also spent outside, except that this time, I’m sitting at a coffee shop, that opened recently. Though admittedly, the only reason why I'm trying it out is because Jackson recommended it to me specifically. 

   (“Park, all of the guys there are single! And if I was gay, I’d do them.”) 

   With an offer like that, how could I say no to him? Though I think Jackson exaggerated just a bit because the guys that are currently working are handsome, but not do-able. They’re eye candy at most. 

   Still, I’m glad I came over. Although it’s far from where I currently live, and from the Industry as well, there’s no memory lingering over the place. I can also start anew here. 

   But it’s not just that. The coffee shop itself is lovely; it’s bigger, even though it’s less comfy and more minimalist than the café I used to visit. Its’ furniture is black and white, with a hint of red and yellow that brought life to the coffee shop. While it’s less comfortable to sit for an extended period, it’s undeniable that it looks clean and sharp. The flooring is concrete, and it’s a change from most café I’ve been to. On the walls hang contemporary paintings from different artists, but most of them were from the same one. The coffee shop was currently playing Drive by Halsey if I’m not mistaken.

   I feel at peace as I’m writing this down. Up until now, there’s not a single con to this coffee shop because the coffee is excellent as well. 

   I’m pondering whether I should share this hidden gem with Youngjae and Mark. We’ve made up, but am I ready to let them in on my newfound haven? Huh… that’s funny. I think I can see someone that looks awfully a lot like Yugyeom, but that can’t be. This place is far from the Industry… 

   I feel myself go cold. It’s him, in the flesh, in whitewashed jeans and a basic white t-shirt again. Yugyeom’s entering the café and there’s nowhere I can hide because I accidentally made eye contact with him. He’s making his way over, and no, don’t you dare burst my tiny bubble of happiness. I’m actually happy witho─

   Sorry for the abrupt pause of this entry. I believe I’ve mentioned it before, but I find it comical that it looks like nothing happened in between because a lot happened when Yugyeom approached me. I’m genuinely unsure as to how I’m supposed to internalize the recent (and not to mention, spontaneous) event that unfolded out of thin air. It went something like this: 

   “Jinyoung,” Yugyeom sounded surprised.

   I managed a tight smile as I looked at him, my arms covering my journal. “Hey, fancy meeting you here.” 

   “Yeah, no kidding,” Yugyeom said as he his neck. I could tell he was uncomfortable with my presence. The feeling’s mutual then, “I thought no one else knew this place existed.”

   I nodded as if I was interested. “A friend of mine told me about this place. It’s new, right?” 

   “Yeah, it is…” Yugyeom’s voice trailed off, “But, uh, listen, can I go order my coffee and sit here? I need to talk to you about something important.” 

   This actually caught my attention, and I said yes without hesitation. Yugyeom left to order his coffee with his wallet in hand, and I hid my journal in the meantime. I couldn’t let anyone discover this; it would break all the walls I’ve put up and reveal a part of me I’m not proud of nor eager to show off. A distant part of me registered the song that was playing as an attempt to distract myself. It appeared that whoever was managing the coffee shop’s playlist was in a Halsey mood because Heaven in Hiding was playing.  

   Minutes later, Yugyeom approached me with his coffee in hand and sat across me. As he shifted in his seat to put away his wallet in his pockets, I stared at him. It was odd having him across me. Yugyeom was like a part of a puzzle that wouldn’t fit because it wasn’t meant to be there. Once he sat comfortably, I cleared my throat and asked, “So what was it that you wanted to talk about?” 

   Yugyeom looked at me as he sipped from his coffee, comfortably leaning back on his chair. “Well, aren’t you eager to know?

   "You made me curious," I said as I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, “So talk. What’s so important that you need to tell me?

   He smirked knowingly, “You got your job back.” 

   I felt my mouth fall open in shock. I hadn’t even gone to the interview, so how was it possible that I had my job back? “I pulled some strings when I saw your folder. You were an excellent employee before you left, so I figured there wasn’t a need to take the interview again. You start working tomorrow right away, at 9 o’clock, sharp. Meet me at my office, and don’t be late.” 

   Then Yugyeom left like he hadn’t just said the most unbelievable words he could ever say to me. And while I’m shocked at his decision, I’m stoked. Tonight, I celebrate. 

 

P.J.

 


A/N: So that's it for now :') I know the previous chapters have been... fairly short, but trust me, they gradually get longer as the story continues. Not to mention, they also become a little bit more interesting, lol. But anyway, I'll see you guys next with the next chapter! :') Remember to stay safe, wear your masks, and practice social distancing!