Chapter 9

A 'Shifter's Tale

"So when did you know you were different?" Asked Sandeul as he helped out Taehyun as they worked on general maintenance. "Different how?" Asked Taehyun. "When did you find out you were going to be a shapeshifter?" Asked Sandeul.

"I think I always knew," said Taehyun as he shrugged. "My older brother was one," he said. "So I kind of always knew," he said. "I didn't start changing until after my brother left but," he said, shrugging. "I see," said Sandeul.

"What about you?" Asked Taehyun. "What happened with you to make you start changing?" He asked. "My parents were a part of Kris's pack," said Sandeul. "But they never held a high position, they were a part of Jinyoung's group," he said. "They left though, after I started changing," he added. "So I don't know where they are now," he said. Taehyun hummed in acknowledgement.

"So I always knew what I was," said Sandeul. "But I started changing late," he added. "According to most I've talked to they started changing at age ten, I started changing at around sixteen," he said. "That's odd," hummed Taehyun.

A voice came through the walkie talkie, and it was Yoonsan. "Taehyun, Hojung wants you to go pick him up," said Yoonsan. Taehyun looked towards the camera in the hallway, nodding. "I'll go get him," he said. "He has a visitor," said Yoonsan. "Who is it?" Asked Taehyun as he immediately turned to look at Sandeul. "Yedam's here to check on Kangmin," said Yoonsan. "Ah, I see," said Taehyun as he nodded. "Alright," he said. "I'll go get him then," he said. Sandeul blinked in surprise.

Taehyun shook his head and took the walkie talkie off his belt, going to speak into it. "I'm going to pick up Hojung, anyone need anything?" He asked. "Lunch please, I'm doing plumbing in 109," said Junhyuk. "Tell Moonbyul she's due for work in an hour," came Sungwoon's voice. "I'll take her to work," came Timoteo's voice. "Also some lunch would be nice, I'm helping Junhyuk," he added. "I'm fine," said Yoonsan. "Alright, I'm going radio silent," said Taehyun before he silenced the walkie talkie, putting it back on his belt before putting the supplies away.

"Why is everyone using walkie talkies?" Asked Sandeul as he followed Taehyun out to the truck. "Easier to communicate," said Taehyun as he shrugged. "Especially with Yoonsan and his cameras," he said. "We can usually talk to him through the cameras while he speaks to us through the walkies," he said. "And it keeps our hands free if we're painting or something," he added. "Everyone's on the channel for work," he said.

"Welcome back, hello Yedam," said Taehyun as he stopped in front of the terminal. "Hello," said Yedam. "It's good to be back," said Hojung. "How was missions?" Asked Taehyun. "Fine fine," said Hojung. "We ran into each other on the way here," said Yedam. "So I figured why not stop by," he added.

"I see you picked up a new mutt," said Hojung as Taehyun drove to get lunch. "I'm not a mutt," grumbled Sandeul. "Leave it, he's here because mates be damned," said Taehyun as he sighed. "Who?" Asked Hojung. "Our new resident human," said Taehyun.

"What the hell did I miss?" Asked Hojung. "A lot," said Taehyun. "I heard my brother stopped by," said Yedam. "It's why he's here," said Taehyun as he nudged Sandeul with his elbow. "Oh, fun," said Yedam.

"He still got the polar bear with him?" He asked. "Yep," said Taehyun. "Figures," said Yedam. "What's wrong with that?" Asked Sandeul. "Nothing, I'm just surprised that Dongwoo hasn't gotten tired of being with him yet," he said. "Jinyoung tends to have a very commanding presence even if he doesn't mean to," he said.

"You do too to be honest," said Taehyun. "It's driving even my pack crazy," he said. "I know you don't mean to but," he said, shrugging. "It can't be helped, I know," said Yedam.

After getting lunch they returned back to the apartment building. Sandeul held onto the bags while Taehyun pinged everyone on the walkie talkies. "I'm back, if you want lunch come to the entrance," Taehyun said into the walkie talkie. "Also tell Kangmin that Yedam is here to see him," he added. A few minutes later Junhyuk came outside with Yoonsan and Kangmin, Yoonsan and Junhyuk getting their share of lunch while Kangmin went to talk with Yedam.

"Did Moonbyul go to work?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to Junhyuk. "Yes," said Junhyuk. "Alright," said Taehyun as he nodded before going back to working on the general building maintenance with Sandeul.

"So is it true?" Asked Sandeul as he held up a sign that was going to be attached to the door. "What?" Asked Taehyun. "That Jinyoung is Yedam's brother," said Sandeul. "You don't believe it?" Asked Taehyun as he drilled a nail into the sign to attach it to the door. "No," said Sandeul. "Not really anyway," he added. "They're both alphas in their own rights," said Taehyun as he drilled another nail into the sign and into the wall behind it. "But Jinyoung chooses to be in his position, same with Yedam," he said.

"I've been with Jinyoung for years, basically grew up in his group," said Sandeul. "It's still hard to believe that he has family sometimes," he said. "I guess," said Taehyun as he finished the sign. "Alright, next door," he said, going to start on the next door. Sandeul held the sign up and let Taehyun do his thing, being in his thoughts.

"Something on your mind?" Asked Taehyun. "A lot of things," said Sandeul. "Like what?" Asked Taehyun. "Nothing important," said Sandeul. "I see," said Taehyun.

"You said you had an older brother," Sandeul said suddenly. "Who is it?" He asked. "His name is Hongseok," said Taehyun as he shrugged. "He was a part of Hui's pack before joining Moonbin's pack," he said. "Mm," said Sandeul.

"What about you? Do you have any siblings?" Asked Taehyun. "Probably, I dunno," said Sandeul. "My parents left when I started changing and I was still an only child then," he said. "I never found out why they left," he said. "But if I did have any siblings I'd like to at least know they exist," he said. "I can find out," said Taehyun. "If you are willing to share such information," he added.

"I'll think about it," said Sandeul. "No problem," said Taehyun. "Take your time," he said. Sandeul nodded.