Chapter 7

A 'Shifter's Tale

"You know at some point we'll have to tell Moonbyul about us right?" Asked Taehyun as he went to get groceries with Sandeul. "I know," said Sandeul. "But when?" He asked. "I was thinking of taking everyone to the forest within the next week under the guise of a hike," said Taehyun. "I don't think Moonbyul would mind," he added. "She talks about wanting to take a hike through the forest at work from what Sungwoon says," he said.

"You know," said Sandeul as he paused, looking thoughtful. Taehyun turned to look at him, his head tilting to the side in question. "It's been quite a while since I got to settle down," he said. "I wouldn't mind this, if you would let me," he said. "That would depend on you at that point," said Taehyun. "I know, I technically own the apartment building but," he said, shrugging. "I don't have any control over who does what," he said. "As long as they follow the rules set," he added. "Right," said Sandeul.

 

~



When Taehyun announced a hike Moonbyul jumped to the occasion, as hikes were something she liked to do in her free time. Dongwoo and Jihun would be the only ones to stay back, the two of them needing to man the cafe. It wasn't like they didn't want to go, they did, but they both understood that everyone needed to go for a run in their animal forms for a few hours. Jihun was the only human left in Kangmin's group and Dongwoo wasn't really one for running since he was a polar bear. He was built for tanking attacks, not running. Everyone else was definitely up for the hike, knowing that it was really just a chance to run around in their animal forms for a few hours.

Everyone arrived to their designated spot in separate cars, with Taehyun being the one to drive Moonbyul over while Junhyuk drove the others in their pack over in another car. Jinyoung soon arrived with Sandeul and Kihyun was last, bringing along Kangmin and Jisung.

"This is gonna be fun," Jinyoung said, looking towards the forest. "It is," agreed Junhyuk. "We all know the plan right?" Asked Taehyun. "Groups stay together, yell if you get in trouble and be back before the sun goes over the tree line," he said. Everyone nodded to the plans.

Moonbyul eyed the forest in front of her in awe, immediately being reminded of the dreams she had, not really listening to the conversation. Two wolves were constantly in her dreams at night, and she had wanted to come out to the forest to possibly see them. It was something that she deemed nearly impossible, but a small part of her still hoped to see them.

"...Moonbyul," said Taehyun as he managed to catch her attention as he waved a hand in front of her face. "Hm?" Asked Moonbyul as she blinked, turning her attention to Taehyun and Sandeul. "Everyone's headed off now," said Taehyun. "We're the last people, want to head on in or are you gonna keep staring at the forest?" He asked, the last part in a joking manner. Moonbyul pouted before hitting Taehyun on the shoulder. "Yeah, yeah let's go," she said, heading into the forest and following the path. Sandeul and Taehyun chuckled before following after her.

"So why'd you agree to the idea of joining us in the forest?" Asked Taehyun as they walked. "It just felt nice to be away from the city for once you know?" Asked Moonbyul. "I dunno, it seems like something fun to do every once in a while," she said. "Mm," agreed Taehyun. Sandeul nodded. "It's a lot of fun to do," he said. "Especially with a group of friends," he said.

"Why did they go without us?" Asked Moonbyul. "I told them that it'd be better for us two to be with you," said Taehyun. "And I think you prefer to be alone or in a small group anyway," he added. "Since I know the area it's best," he said. "And I doubt you'd want to be alone with me," he said. Moonbyul hummed.

"So," said Taehyun. "What's this I hear about you dreaming of wolves?" He asked. "Damn it Sungwoon," said Moonbyul, earning chuckles from Taehyun and Sandeul. "But," she said, sighing. "I am having dreams of wolves," she added, scratching the back of her head.

"Would you believe us if we said we could turn into the wolves in your dreams?" Asked Sandeul. "What?" Asked Moonbyul as she turned to them, her eyes widened in surprise. "What did you think we came out here for?" Asked Taehyun as howls erupted from the forest around them. The howls sent a shiver down Moonbyul's spine, though she felt extremely safe in Sandeul and Taehyun's presence.

"I'm a werewolf, and he's a shapeshifter," said Sandeul as he shrugged. "What's the difference?" Asked Moonbyul. "My pack is rather famous for being actual types of wolves," said Taehyun. "But we don't reach horse size like Hui's pack does," he said. "We're just slightly larger than our real counterparts," he said.

"Werewolves are that, just werewolves," said Sandeul. "We hate silver, and we're structured like a normal gray wolf but with different fur colors depending on the person," he said.

"Can you show me your wolf forms?" Asked Moonbyul. Taehyun nodded, turning to Sandeul. "We'll be behind some trees," said Sandeul as he nodded. Taehyun and Sandeul went to change behind the tree as Moonbyul waited with curiosity, wondering if they really were the wolves she had been dreaming about.

Taehyun was the first to walk over after changing and Moonbyul fell back in shock, putting a hand over . Sandeul was next, and Moonbyul backed up, hitting a tree. "W-What?" Asked Moonbyul. It was then that she noticed the figures of the rest of Taehyun's pack, along with a few other wolves she could only assume was Kihyun and his group along with Jinyoung. Taehyun's pack was the easiest to recognize because they all had different color eyes while the others had regular gold colored eyes.

"I-I need time to process everything," said Moonbyul as she gulped, letting her hand drop to the ground. "B-But, I'm okay with this," she added. "So I guess it's time to go?" She asked. Taehyun turned to look at the sky, noticing how late it got. He then nodded, motioning for the others to go get their clothes. Everyone soon went out of view, and Taehyun and Sandeul went to change and put their clothes on.

"Where did you two get your scars?" Asked Moonbyul as she walked back with Sandeul and Taehyun. "We'll tell you one of these days," said Taehyun. Sandeul nodded in agreement. "Okay," said Moonbyul.