Chapter 6

A 'Shifter's Tale

As expected, Sandeul didn't bother them anymore, at least from what Moonbyul had observed. He left her alone, and the others were sure that Jinyoung and Sandeul would be back whenever they were finished with whatever else they had to do. Jinyoung sent a message when they left the city, telling Taehyun that they'd be back within the next month or so.

"Ah, it's strange," said Taehyun as he walked with Moonbyul, the two of them just taking a walk around the neighborhood. "Those two are good friends of mine," he said. "But they didn't say that they were coming for a visit," he said. "I'm sorry for causing you so much trouble," said Moonbyul. "No, it's okay," said Taehyun. "We were stressed due to not knowing who they were until Jinyoung approached us," he said.

"What does he do for a living?" Asked Moonbyul. "Jinyoung?" Asked Taehyun. Moonbyul nodded. "He does a lot of traveling for work," said Taehyun. "Just to check on things with people," he said. "I see," said Moonbyul. "Does this have to do with your building?" She asked. "In a way," hummed Taehyun as he nodded. "But it's nothing bad," he said. "We take care of the building while the owner pays for the bills," he said. "It's why no one really moves in permanently," he said. "And we are so careful with who moves in," he added. "I see," said Moonbyul.

"Not everything is covered though," said Taehyun. "Hojung makes sure that any repairs and stuff is paid for, but the general bills, like electricity and water and building taxes, are paid for by the building owner," he said. "I see," said Moonbyul.

"How is things at work?" Asked Taehyun. "It's been okay," said Moonbyul. "Jihun has been patient with me and Sungwoon isn't sure what to do with me since I've been able to handle all the tasks given," she said. "Kihyun comes in every few days to check on inventory and things, we've been very busy," she said. "They try not to overwork me though," she added. "That's good," said Taehyun.

"They had to close the cafe early today," said Moonbyul. "Apparently Jihun got called to something at last minute and no one was able to fill in for him," she said. "Ah..." said Taehyun. "Who knows, you might get a new employee soon," he said. "It's possible," said Moonbyul.

 

~



Repainting the hallways of the first and second floors of the apartment building was always a chore to go through. Taehyun got the first floor while Junhyuk got the second floor, and everyone got to watch in amusement as they did the arduous task themselves. There was a few new tenants, some humans looking for a temporary place to stay for the moment until a more permanent option became available. They learned pretty quickly not to mess with Yoonsan and his security cameras, and to keep things civil in the apartment building. Moonbyul got to get to know some of her neighbors, but stayed on a professional level with them, only being neighborly in saying hello.

"Why is painting hallways always so taxing?" Asked Taehyun as he looked around the hallway to examine his work. "It's funny to see you doing this," said Timoteo as he came over after bringing a drink for Taehyun. "You try doing this then," Taehyun said, scowling as he took a sip of his drink.

"When are they coming back?" Asked Timoteo. "I dunno," said Taehyun as he took the roller and started painting the other side of the hallway. "Last I checked they were meeting up with another pack member of theirs but that was weeks ago," he said.

The walkie talkie attached to Taehyun's belt came to life for the first time in hours and it was Yoonsan. "You got visitors," came Yoonsan's voice. Taehyun put down the paint roller and did a thumbs up to the camera in the hallway before going outside to see who it was. Timoteo was left to continue painting, grumbling about it after a few minutes.

"Sandeul, Jinyoung," said Taehyun as he met them on the steps to the apartment building. "Hello," said Jinyoung. Sandeul nodded in greeting. "I see you met up with your pack member," said Taehyun as he noticed a third person with them. "This is Dongwoo," said Jinyoung. "Hello," said Dongwoo as he nodded in greeting.

Taehyun blinked, nodding. "What brings you here?" He asked. "I'm here because Jinyoung wouldn't leave Sandeul to his own devices," Dongwoo said with a snort. "I'm just a fellow werewolf," he said, shrugging.

"If you were, I'd know," said Taehyun. "You don't smell like a werewolf," he said. "Well, that's shocking," said Dongwoo. "You knew what I was the entire time?" He asked. "I've only met one other animal-human like you," said Taehyun. "And he's a wolf-dog," he said. "How the hell did they manage to get a polar bear cub?" He asked. Dongwoo shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets.

"How long are you staying around for this time?" Asked Taehyun. "Mm, we're not due for anything so," Jinyoung said, shrugging. "You got an apartment open?" He asked. "We do," said Taehyun. "Need a place to stay for a bit?" He asked. "If that's alright," said Jinyoung. "Follow me then," said Taehyun as he turned and walked into the building.

Junhyuk noticed Dongwoo immediately, blinking in surprise. "What?" He asked as they walked passed him. "Don't question it," Taehyun called back as he went to get a key, leaving Jinyoung, Sandeul and Dongwoo to stand outside the apartment for a minute. Junhyuk shook his head, sighing as he went back to painting.

Taehyun came back out with a key a few minutes later, going down the hall to the apartment at the other side of the building. "Here you go," he said, turning to Jinyoung and handing him the key. "Keep the place clean, no parties, don't mess with Yoonsan and his prized security cameras, trust me he will know something is up," he said. "Don't mind the other residents, and keep things civil yeah?" He asked. Jinyoung nodded, and Taehyun stepped aside to let them enter the apartment.

"What the hell?" Asked Junhyuk as Taehyun walked over. Taehyun shrugged. "I learn to not question logic anymore," he said, earning a snort from Junhyuk as he went back to painting. "I'm going to get back to painting now if you need me," he said. Junhyuk waved him off and Taehyun went back to paint, letting Timoteo get back to whatever he was doing.