Chapter 4

A 'Shifter's Tale

Taehyun was never one to defend his tenants from anything, but since Moonbyul was the first female tenant in a long time Taehyun found himself keeping a closer eye on things, assigning Sungwoon to keeping an eye on things while he was at work with her. The others could take care of themselves, and Taehyun knew that.

Today was just another one of those days where Taehyun was working on general things on the building, checking on the overall integrity of the building to make sure nothing was breaking. It was usually Junhyuk's job to check on the empty apartments to make sure there weren't any squatters, though they kept tight security measures to keep the building crime free. Yoonsan and Hojung made sure nothing electrical was broken and fixed whatever the others couldn't.

"T-Taehyun," said Moonbyul as she approached Taehyun who was currently cleaning the first floor windows. "What's up?" Asked Taehyun. "I-I don't want to bother you with something but can someone walk with me to work today?" Asked Moonbyul. Alarms immediately went off in Taehyun's head as he turned to Moonbyul, stopping what he was doing as he put the mop back in the bucket. "What's wrong?" He asked. "My roommate... He might be s-stalking me," said Moonbyul as she looked away. "Aish," grumbled Taehyun as he sighed. "No problem," he said, fishing his phone out of his pocket. "What time do you go into work today?" He asked. "In an hour," said Moonbyul. Taehyun hummed, going through his contacts to see who was available.

"Why the hell does Kihyun have you work the afternoon and closing shifts?" Taehyun grumbled to himself as he texted someone. "I hate to bother Kangmin since he just returned from a job but," he said, sighing as he got a response. "He is home, and agreed to take you to work today," he said. "Don't worry about security alright? It's really safe," he said. "Unless you want to stay outside while I finish washing the windows?" He asked. "I'll be fine, t-thank you," said Moonbyul as she bowed before heading back into the building.

It was then that Taehyun noticed a peculiar figure standing across the street, quickly turning his attention back to the windows as to not draw attention to himself. He went back to cleaning the windows, moving onto the next one and ignoring whoever seemed to be eyeing the building from across the street.

An hour later Kangmin walked out of the building with Moonbyul. "Thank you again," called Taehyun as he worked on the second floor windows. "No problem!" Kangmin called back.

"Damn people," grumbled Taehyun as he sighed, finishing with the window washing, dropping the mop into the bucket. "What happened?" Asked Junhyuk as he walked over. "We have a human stalker," said Taehyun. "Ah..." Said Junhyuk. "Kangmin had to walk Moonbyul to work," added Taehyun. "Well," said Junhyuk. "This is your mate," he said. "Of course," said Taehyun. "I would want to keep her safe," he added.

"Where is he?" Asked Junhyuk. "He was across the street last I checked," Taehyun. "You mean the human just pacing back and forth while we were talking?" Asked Junhyuk. "Yep," said Taehyun.

Kangmin walked back with a drink in his hands, waving to Junhyuk and Taehyun. "Hey Kangmin," said Taehyun. "Thanks again," he said. "No problem," said Kangmin as he drank from the straw placed in his drink. "Did the hunters leave?" Asked Junhyuk. "I think they did earlier this morning," said Kangmin. "They knocked on the door to say goodbye so," he said, shrugging. "I see," said Taehyun. "They didn't want to overstay their welcome," said Kangmin. "That makes sense," said Taehyun.

"So what are we gonna do about the stalker across the street?" Asked Kangmin. "Leave him be for now," said Taehyun. "If he comes any closer, like actually stepping up the stairs leading into the apartment building call the cops," he said. "We do have cameras everywhere," agreed Junhyuk as he looked up at the camera pointed towards the front door of the building.

"Who's job is to look at that again?" Asked Kangmin. "Yoonsan or Hojung," said Taehyun. "They've got everything set up in their room," he said. "Mhm," said Kangmin.

"How do they manage that when there's three people in the room?" Asked Junhyuk. "Very carefully," said Taehyun as he grabbed the bucket. "Let's go get lunch then," he said. "Want to join us Kangmin?" He asked. "Ah, sure let me tell Jisung," said Kangmin as he nodded, running inside. Taehyun chuckled slightly and went to clean up and change clothes. Junhyuk waited outside for them, keeping his hands in his pockets.

When Taehyun and Kangmin got back Junhyuk was the one to drive everyone to lunch, while Taehyun was the one to pay for everyone's orders. Everyone talked about random things, just saying what came to mind.

"How's missions been?" Asked Taehyun. "They could be better," said Kangmin. "I haven't had many international missions but I think I'm due for one soon," he said. "Yedam is supposed to stop by, maybe he can put in some word for you," said Taehyun.

"You're checking your phone for once?" Kangmin asked with a teasing grin. "Oh shut up," Taehyun said, chuckling some. "I've checked my phone more often now," he said. "Hojung's been making sure I've checked my emails," he said. "When is he coming over?" Asked Kangmin. "In a few days," said Taehyun. "I think he's only here to check on Hojung," said Junhyuk. "But according to Hojung he's here to make sure you're handling things well," he said. "You know, since everything happened and everything," he added.

"I'm handling things pretty well I think," said Kangmin. "I know, it's been a couple years since the incident but," he said, shrugging. "I'm doing fine, I moved on," he said. "Would I forgive Hayoung and Taeseon for what they did? Probably not," he said. "But the team is doing well I hear," he said.

"They're flourishing under other teams, which is awesome," he said. "I was afraid they wouldn't," he said. "Yeah," said Taehyun. Junhyuk nodded in agreement.