Chapter 3

A 'Shifter's Tale

"So you decided to stop by huh?" Asked Sungwoon as Hwanhee showed up at the cafe with Xion. "For a bit," said Hwanhee as he shrugged. "Just to check things out," he added. "I see," said Sungwoon as he nodded. "What can I get you?" Asked Jihun as he stood at the register. "Ah, 3 iced coffees," said Hwanhee. "Is it possible to make one extra strong?" He asked. "For your other companion?" Asked Jihun. Hwanhee nodded. "Yeah I can do that," said Sungwoon. Jihun rung up the order and Hwanhee went to pay for it while Xion looked at the pastries in thought.

"Did you want a pastry too?" Asked Hwanhee as he looked at Xion. Xion shrugged. "I guess," he said. "Which one?" Asked Sungwoon. "The cake pop," said Xion as he pointed to one. "Do you want two?" Asked Sungwoon. "Sure," said Xion as he nodded. "They're on us, it'll be a few minutes for your coffee," said Sungwoon as he handed over the cake pops.

"Not that busy today," remarked Hwanhee as he went to wait for the drinks. "No," said Sungwoon. "It's usually pretty busy to be honest," he said. "But you came in after the lunch rush," he said. "I see," said Hwanhee. Xion munched on one of the cake pops, saving the other for Dongmyeong as he went to sit down on one of the comfortable chairs.

"So what's the story with the twins?" Asked Sungwoon as he worked on making the coffee. "Ah..." Said Hwanhee as he hesitated, blinking. "It's okay," said Xion as he shrugged. "I guess it's better to know," he added. "Well," said Hwanhee as he shrugged. "I'm not sure myself," he said. "But Xion suffers from insomnia and his brother suffers from narcolepsy," he said. Sungwoon blinked.

"We're linked in a way," said Xion. "Like he's the one who sleeps or is sleepy all the time and I'm awake all the time and vice versa," he added. "It's kind of weird, because I didn't believe it at first," he said. "But I think it makes sense," he said. "Because I find myself blanking out if he's fully awake and don't come back to the world until he's done with whatever he's doing," he said. "Is he sleeping now?" Asked Sungwoon. "I think so," said Xion. "We kind of just left him there, though he knew we were coming over here," he said.

Everyone turned when the door chimed and in walked Dongmyeong with Moonbyul, the two of them having walked over to the cafe together. "Hey there," said Jihun. "Moonbyul, you'll help Sungwoon with drinks when the evening rush comes in okay?" He asked. Moonbyul nodded and went to put on an apron before joining Sungwoon by where the drinks were being made. "You can make the last one," said Sungwoon. "It's just iced coffee," he added. "Okay," said Moonbyul as she went to make it. Dongmyeong went to sit with Xion and took the cake pop that was offered.

"This oddly reminds me of the way Moonbin's coffee shop is set up," hummed Hwanhee as he tilted his head to the side. "It's similar in a way," said Jihun. "The set up is the same but the workers are different," he added. Hwanhee nodded.

"So who's group are you with?" Asked Sungwoon. "Just keep on asking me questions why don't you?" Hwanhee asked with a snort. "Hey, I was asked to find out mostly everything about you three, Taehyun's curious," said Sungwoon as he passed over the three drinks. "Well," said Hwanhee as he took one of the drinks, Xion and his brother coming to get the other two.

"I belong to a group that used to be led by Wooseok," said Hwanhee, being mindful of Moonbyul. "I see," said Sungwoon. "But since Wooseok left, Xiao took over as leader," he added. "For reasons I don't want to disclose because it'd be rude," he added quickly. "I wasn't going to ask," said Sungwoon.

"We've had our fair share of things like that, trust me," said Jihun. "It's understandable," he said. "Why do people leave?" Asked Moonbyul. "Sometimes things don't work out in a group," said Sungwoon. "Sometimes groups aren't meant to be together," he said. "I see," said Moonbyul.

"We'll be off then," said Hwanhee. "See you around," said Sungwoon. Hwanhee waved before leaving with the twins.

 

~



"Aish," said Taehyun after he listened to what Sungwoon told him. "Twins are really rare in the supernatural world," he said. "To see these two still going at it even with their handicaps is different," he said. "The last set of twins, at least technically speaking anyway, were Nichkhun and Kyuhyun," he said. "They were born on the same day I think, but have different mothers," he said. "They consider themselves twins but they're not really twins though," pointed out Junhyuk.

"You know, those two are going to go places," said Taehyun. "Dongmyeong's famous for coming up with the mantra that everyone follows," said Hojung. "I've met him a few times, but I never thought he had a twin," he said. "You've met him before?" Asked Taehyun. Hojung nodded.

"Dongmyeong is a good person, just with a pretty bad history," he said. "The reason he became a werewolf hunter in the first place was due to something happening to his home pack, I'm not sure what it was," he said. "I feel bad for the kid," said Taehyun. "He's a good kid," said Hojung. "Just different," he added.

"His twin I don't think anyone knows about," he said. "The most information I can get about him is that he belonged to a pack that helped out vampire hunters, they helped find blood dens," he said. "I see," said Taehyun. "Kangmin recognizes him but other than that," Hojung said, shrugging. "The pack he comes from is pretty much unknown," he said.

"You know they're unknown if Moonbin doesn't have any information on them," said Sungwoon. "That's true," said Taehyun. "Let's not judge them too much alright? They're just here for missions," he said. "Right," agreed Sungwoon and Hojung.