Chapter 1

A 'Shifter's Tale

Taehyun stopped by the cafe that Sungwoon worked at, as Sungwoon had something to ask Taehyun. "What's up?" He asked, ordering his usual drink before going to wait for it while Sungwoon made the drink. "Ah, there's a human that comes in regularly," said Sungwoon. "I normally don't bring this up with you but she looks like she needs to move in to the apartment building," he said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Asked Taehyun. "I'm saying that she um... Her home life doesn't look so good," said Sungwoon. "She coming in today?" Asked Taehyun. "She usually does," said Sungwoon as he nodded. "Here," he said, handing his drink over. "Thank you," said Taehyun as he nodded, taking the drink before going to sit down.

"You talking about Moonbyul?" Asked Jihun as he came out from the back room. "Yeah," said Sungwoon. "Ah... She does look like she needs to get away from that," hummed Jihun. "Is it that bad?" Asked Taehyun. "You'll see," said Sungwoon. "I see," hummed Taehyun.

Right on cue a nervous looking woman entered the cafe, fidgeting with her hands as she kept them in front of her. "Hello Moonbyul," said Jihun. "H-Hello," said Moonbyul. "The usual?" Asked Jihun. "Please," said Moonbyul as she went to pay for it. "Hey," Jihun said gently, pushing back the money. "It's on me today, you look like you need it," he said. Moonbyul nodded, looking down. "Thank you," she mumbled, taking back the money and going to wait for her drink.

"The apartment owner's in today, if you want to talk to him," said Sungwoon as he made her drink. "Will he really let me stay?" Asked Moonbyul. "As long as you hold a job, you're fine," said Sungwoon. "The cafe owner doesn't mind you here either, so you can get hired here," he said. "Kihyun does have a soft spot for people with home problems," agreed Jihun.

"Well, here you go," said Sungwoon as he handed Moonbyul her drink. "He's sitting by the window if you want to talk to him," he added. "Thank you," said Moonbyul as she turned, spotting Taehyun still sitting down by the windows, looking out them and pretending to not listen to the conversation. She then walked over, making sure not to spill her drink as she stood behind the chair that was across from Taehyun.

"Sit down," said Taehyun as he noticed her, smiling slightly as he turned to look at her. Moonbyul managed a small smile in return, moving the chair before sitting down, putting the drink down. "So," said Taehyun as he adjusted in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest. "I heard you were having home problems," he said, looking concerned. Moonbyul nodded. "Just an alcoholic roommate, the like," she said. "I see," said Taehyun as he hummed.

"Sungwoon said you would let me stay in your building for free," said Moonbyul. "If I worked," she added. "Yes," said Taehyun. "But I don't just let anyone live in my building," he said. "Most who stay are usually there temporarily," he added. "So if you are staying permanently then yes, you would have to work," he said. "I think it's going to be permanent," said Moonbyul.

"You don't have a job currently?" Asked Taehyun. "No, not currently," said Moonbyul. "B-But Sungwoon offered to talk to the cafe owner," she said. The stutter didn't go unnoticed by Taehyun as he tilted his head to the side. "...Okay," he said after a few minutes. "We have a room open just across the hall from Jihun's apartment," he said. "It's already furnished from what I know, so you can move in immediately," he said. "I'll talk to the cafe owner and see if he can let you work here," he added. "I'm sure he will, but I will talk to him," he said. "Thank you," said Moonbyul. "Stay as long as you need, and Jihun will get you home tonight to show you the apartment," he said. "The keys will be given to his roommate Kangmin," he added. "Okay," said Moonbyul, sounding relieved.

"Hey," said Taehyun as he smiled softly. "Things will get better, trust me," he said, nodding as he got up. "Hang in there alright?" He asked. Moonbyul nodded, smiling slightly in return.

 

~



"Oi, we need to see if the apartment across from Kangmin's apartment is clean," called Taehyun as he entered the apartment. "We're getting a new tenant?" Asked Junhyuk. "Yes," said Taehyun as he went to get the keys. "Is Kangmin home?" He asked. "He should be," said Junhyuk as he went to get his cleaning supplies. "Alright," said Taehyun as he grabbed the correct key and headed out. Junhyuk followed after him.

Kangmin opened the door, rubbing his eyes. "Oh, hyung!" Said Kangmin. "What's up?" He asked. "You're getting a new neighbor," said Taehyun. "So I'm leaving the key with you, Jihun will return with her tonight," he said. "Is there a reason?" Asked Kangmin as he blinked in surprise. "Home life," said Taehyun. "Ah... Okay," said Kangmin. "Yeah, I can hold onto the key," he said. "Thank you," said Taehyun before he walked over to the apartment across from Kangmin's and unlocked it, opening the door and Junhyuk went in to see what needed cleaning before Taehyun came back and handed the key to Kangmin. Kangmin took it, pocketing the key. "Is there anything else you need?" He asked.

"Is Kihyun in?" Asked Taehyun. "He went to get groceries, but yes, he's home," said Kangmin. "Tell him that someone needs a job," said Taehyun. "Jihun will fill in with the details," he added. "Okay," said Kangmin. "Anything else?" He asked. "No," said Taehyun. "Alright," said Kangmin as he nodded, closing the door.

"Why do I have a feeling that this won't end well?" Asked Junhyuk as he left the room after making sure everything was clean. "I don't know," said Taehyun. "But let's hope Yoonsan isn't immediately hostile towards her," he said. "She's human," said Junhyuk. "Does that matter though?" Asked Taehyun. "I guess not," said Junhyuk as he sighed. "Let's head back up then," said Taehyun before he headed back to their apartment. Junhyuk followed after him.