Chapter 8

A 'Shifter's Tale

"So, how'd you end up with one of Kris's top generals?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to Dongwoo. "I was with some werewolf hunters when they were sent after Jinyoung," said Dongwoo as he shrugged. "He bet that he could defeat them in battle, so they took the bet, using me as the prize if he won," he said. "He would've accepted death if he lost, but he ended up winning," he said. "This was years before the law for Kris's employees passed by the way," he added. "So no repercussions would've come out of it," he said.

"I think that even if that happened, Yedam would've done something about it," said Taehyun. "How so?" Asked Dongwoo. "Jinyoung is Yedam's older brother, and the first turned werewolf, technically speaking anyway," said Taehyun. "How are you able to gather this information?" Asked Dongwoo. "I have my sources," said Taehyun as he shrugged.

 

~



Jinyoung leaned against the counter at the cafe, waiting on his drink as Sandeul was the one making it. "What, you think I'm going to poison it?" Asked Sandeul as he poured the coffee. "No," said Jinyoung as he chuckled some. "You've been my beta for decades now, if you were to poison me you would've done it years ago," he said. Sandeul snorts, not entirely disagreeing with Jinyoung.

"When are you gonna leave anyway?" Asked Sandeul as he handed Jinyoung his drink. "Mm, not anytime soon," said Jinyoung as he took a sip of his drink. "I'm still a good ways away from needing to do anything for Kris at the moment," he said.

"What's your job anyway?" Asked Jihun as he cleaned the register. "I'm needed to check on the northern territories in the US," said Jinyoung. "The other generals usually take the other countries but," he said, shrugging. "Byungchan's been home a lot since Seungwoo went to help out another pack," he said. "Seungwoo isn't obligated to stay with the pack right?" Asked Sandeul. "Since it's a pack of 'shifters," he added. "Yeah, so he tells the pack leader when he's needed to do things," said Jinyoung. "He's their only source of income for the moment, so they've been rather lenient with him," he said.

"I'm still confused as to why this is a thing," said Moonbyul as she blinked. "Well, us supernatural creatures need to make extra income somehow hm?" Asked Jinyoung. Moonbyul nodded. "I get my income from checking on territories," said Jinyoung. "Others hunt, and you got the ones running information networks, like it is here," he said. "Most major cities have at least some sort of information network, Kihyun established one here, and there's one in Seattle and Boston," he said.

"The cafes and coffee shops are just that, cafes and coffee shops," explained Sandeul. "There's a lot more going on behind the scenes, if you look closely," he said. "The most famous one is in Berlin," said Jinyoung. "Everyone ends up going there if they need to go to Europe for anything," he said.

"Toronto is a major hub for vampire hunters I hear," said Sandeul. "It is," said Jihun. "The information network there also spans all of Canada, or so I've learned from Chani," he said. "A lot of Canadian vampires hm?" Asked Jinyoung. "In a way," said Jihun. "Canada's rather large, I wouldn't be surprised if what’s left of Italy's vampires ended up there after the purge," he said.

"I'm surprised Kris was okay with it," said Sandeul. "Chani's on a list of vampires to not hunt, so Kris saw an opportunity to broaden the information network and pass it to someone else," said Jinyoung. "Remember, Seungwoo and Byungchan were the ones running it in Toronto," he said. "Right," said Sandeul.

"It let Byungchan look for unknown packs, it's how he found Wooseok," said Jinyoung. "Those two do have a knack for finding unknown packs or unknown people," said Sandeul. "I think they were known, just not to Kris," said Jinyoung. "Everyone has their own information network," he said. "Just how extensive it is however, depends on who you know," he said.

"They say Chanwoo has the largest information network but," said Jihun as he shrugged. "I doubt it is now, especially after learning of who Wooseok knows," said Jinyoung. "Wooseok's contacts reach even the hard to contact places," he said. "That and he knows to contact certain people that Chanwoo can't," he said.

"A shapeshifter's information network can be drastically different from a vampire's or werewolf's information network," said Sandeul. "Wooseok has ties in the werewolf hunting association through Yuvin and his brother," said Jinyoung. "He has access to Kris's information network through Byungchan, access to Chanwoo's information network through Jinhyuk, Rocky and Eunwoo, and has Hwanhee and the twins as a way into the vampire hunting association," he said. "I'd say that he has the largest information network now," he said. "Even if he's in a new pack," he added. "He does still hold ties to his old pack," agreed Sandeul.

Jinyoung got a text, and he looked at his phone, sighing as he pushed away from the counter. "I'm needed then," he said. "Where are you going?" Asked Sandeul. "Byungchan needs me to do a Europe run since Seungwoo is busy," said Jinyoung. "I'll be back in a few months then," he called, leaving the cafe.

Sandeul sighed, shaking his head. "Well, I have the apartment to myself," he said. "How so?" Asked Moonbyul. "Dongwoo goes where ever Jinyoung goes," said Sandeul. "Unless Jinyoung told him to stay here," he added. "Which I doubt, I can take care of myself just fine," he said.

"Who are the other two generals?" Asked Jihun. "I dunno, I never met them in person," said Sandeul. "I know Byungchan and Seungwoo through Jinyoung because our old territory bordered theirs, when all four of us surrounded Toronto anyway," he said. "Seungwoo was the general and Byungchan was the beta," he added to clear up any confusion.

"Looks like you're alone for a bit," said Taehyun as he entered the cafe. "Mm," said Sandeul. "Anything new in the information network?" Asked Taehyun as he looked at Jihun. "Nothing really, but Hojung's coming back from missions soon," said Jihun. "He apparently ran into some trouble recently, but things should be good now," he said. "That's good," said Taehyun as he nodded.