Chapter 14

A 'Shifter's Tale

There was something about the amount of visitors visiting the cafe that Moonbyul was extra wary about. She figured it had something to do with her being no more than just a human but Jihun was still human, at least that was what he said when she asked, so she wondered if it had to do with being a normal human, one that wasn't really as exposed to the supernatural world as Jihun was.

There was one particular person that liked to hang around the cafe, and his presence honestly scared Moonbyul. Everyone assured her that Eunki was harmless, but the way Eunki held himself was what set Moonbyul off.

"I blame the fact that you're a vampire," said Moonbyul as Eunki stopped by again. Eunki snorts. "I can't help being what I am," he said. "So get used to it human," he said. "You don't have to be here you know," said Jihun. "I know," said Eunki. "But I'm here anyway," he said.

"I get that you're part of the information network but is there any really important reason that you need to be here for?" Asked Jihun. "I actually do have a reason," said Eunki. "But the mutt named Sandeul needs to be here for it," he said. "I think he's back," said Moonbyul. "Radio him?" She asked.

Jihun grabbed the walkie and spoke into it. "Sandeul back yet?" He asked. "I am, what do you need?" Asked Sandeul. "You got someone asking for you," said Jihun. "I'm on it," said Sandeul before the line went silent. Jihun put the walkie on the counter by the register. "Anything else?" He asked. "No, that's it," said Eunki as he nodded, going to sit down. "If it was that easy I would've done so days ago," grumbled Moonbyul, earning a snort from Sungwoon who was cleaning tables.

Sandeul entered the cafe, an eyebrow raising in question when he saw Eunki. "What do you want now?" He asked as he went to sit down in front of Eunki. "Your brother," said Eunki. That caught Sandeul's attention as he sat up straighter. "What about him?" He asked. "And I have a brother?" He asked. "You're surprised," said Eunki. "I never knew I had one," said Sandeul.

"You've been out of the loop it seems," said Eunki. "But yes, they've been found," he said. "I wasn't here when Taehyun got any information regarding any family I have left," said Sandeul. "Well when you weren't here there wasn't much going on, except people looking for them," said Eunki.

"What about my parents?" Asked Sandeul. Eunki shook his head. "Dead," he said. "Who killed them?" Asked Sandeul. "Werewolf hunters," said Eunki. "What the hell?" Asked Sandeul. "They stopped working for Kris, you know how that law goes," said Eunki. "I guess," hummed Sandeul before he sighed.

"So when am I going to be able to see him?" Asked Sandeul. "I dunno," said Eunki. "It depends on him at that point," he said. "He doesn't work for Kris, nor does he know about you so," he said, shrugging. "What does he do for a living then?" Asked Sandeul. "I don't know actually, but word around says he's a local hunter," said Eunki. "Deer and things, he mostly does trades and stuff," he said. "I see," said Sandeul.

 

~



"What the hell?" Asked Taehyun. "What?" Asked Sandeul. "You want to go find your brother even though you don't know what he does for a living?" Asked Taehyun. "It can't be that bad can it?" Asked Sandeul. "Kid, I think Eunki left something out when telling you you had family," said Taehyun.

"My information tells me that he's a werewolf hunter," he said. "And his initiation mission was to kill your parents," he said. "He got the hunter part right, but I guess he didn't want to tell you what he did for a living," he said. "You realize how bad of an idea that would be?" He asked.

"Who came to you with that information?" Asked Sandeul. "Yedam himself," said Taehyun. "Look," he said, showing the email he had been sent. "Here's his picture," he said. "Ah," said Sandeul. "I see," he said.

"His name is Wontak," said Taehyun. "He's in the Treasure Box faction, but prefers to work alone than with other groups," he said. "He's been at this for a good 10 years now," he said. "And apparently he's your younger brother," he said. "According to Yedam, he was without a faction for most of his time as a hunter," he said. "He's one of the newer members of the faction, but he, along with Dongmyeong, were advocates of the now famous mantra," he said.

"Does he have a pack?" Asked Sandeul. "No," said Taehyun. "He is a lone wolf, and apparently prefers to be that way," he said. "Sounds like something he'd do," hummed Sandeul.

"Last I heard Byungchan was going after him, but he's busy with stuff in Toronto," said Taehyun. "He is," said Sandeul. "I was there talking to him with Jinyoung," he said. "He said he had something important to do but he sent one of his other pack members to do it," he said. "Seems he was asked to look for my brother," he said.

"Do Yuvin and Kookheon know him?" Asked Sandeul. "It's possible," said Taehyun. "Those two are one of the more well known teams due to them being brothers but," he said, shrugging. "Werewolf hunters tend to stick to their respective teams/factions," he said. "But thanks to the Treasure Box faction there's been a lot more teams and solo hunters working together," he said. "I see," said Sandeul.

"Don't go to him yet, wait until he comes here okay?" Asked Taehyun. "Right right," said Sandeul. "No problem," he said.

"Though, he may have to come around anyway," said Taehyun. "Apparently Moonbyul's alcoholic roommate is a werewolf, and his so called violent drunkenness is due to his wolf," he said. "If I remember anyway, that was what Yuvin was here for, but since he came to me with information before he left, he decided to pass the job onto your brother," he said. "I see," said Sandeul.

 

~



"Did Eunki stop bothering you?" Asked Taehyun as he turned to Moonbyul. "He did," said Moonbyul as she nodded. "Good, I know he was only around to pass on information but he didn't need to stick around for that long," said Taehyun.

"I never knew that my old roommate was a werewolf," said Moonbyul. "Apparently he hid very well because werewolves aren't supposed to be living in this city, unless they're with me of course," said Taehyun. "I wonder how he managed to stay hidden for so long?" Asked Sandeul. "He was never home," said Moonbyul. "But when he was home he stayed in his room," she said. "That would explain it," hummed Taehyun.