Chapter 15

A 'Shifter's Tale

Moonbyul was not one to be suspicious of everything but something wasn't right with the cafe. It wasn't like she didn't want to work there, no it was the complete opposite, but things seemed a lot more tense with everyone. When she asked Kihyun, he said it had to do with a certain visitor coming, and Moonbyul wondered who it would be.

"Don't worry about it," said Jihun as Moonbyul asked him. "It's not going to involve you, but everyone is extra wary when a werewolf hunter announces that they're coming over," he said. "It's different when everyone knows them, but when a new hunter comes around that's when everyone becomes anxious," he said. "You don't know what he's like," said Moonbyul. Jihun nodded. "That makes sense, I think," said Moonbyul.

 

~



Eunki stopped by the cafe again, much to Moonbyul's annoyance. "Don't worry, there's a reason," said Eunki when Moonbyul shook her head at him. "Hanse brought his guest," he said. "And asked if I could come and tell the mutt," he said.

Moonbyul grabbed the walkie on the counter and spoke into it. "Is Sandeul around?" She asked. "He's taking a shower, he'll be at work in an hour, what's up?" Asked Taehyun. "Eunki stopped by again, said that Hanse is almost here with his guest," said Moonbyul. "Already? We weren't expecting him until next week," said Taehyun. Eunki held out his hand for the walkie, and Moonbyul handed it to him.

"Look here mate," said Eunki, his British accent coming through. "We got your guy, so I'm out," he said. "Alright alright," said Taehyun. "Remember, one human in the city," he said. "Alright," said Eunki, handing the walkie back to Moonbyul before heading out the door.

"I swear," said Taehyun as he entered the cafe with Sandeul a few minutes later. "Some people can be impatient as hell," he said. "I don't think Eunki liked me," said Moonbyul. "He was thirsty," said Taehyun. "It's normal," he said. "He just wanted to get out of there before hurting you," he said.

"Just you today?" Asked Sandeul. "For the moment," said Moonbyul. "Sungwoon's supposed to be here in a bit," she said. "And plus you're joining me today," she said. "Of course I am," said Sandeul as he went to grab an apron. "Turn on the open sign please?" Asked Moonbyul as she turned to Taehyun. "Sure," said Taehyun as he went to do so.

Sandeul came out of the back room as Sungwoon entered the cafe, going to get his apron before going to his spot at the register. The walkie talkie was placed in a charger by the register in case someone at the cafe was needed. Taehyun went to sit down at a table, doing something on his phone.

 

~



"Aish, the trouble I nearly got into trying to find you," came a new voice as the door chimed and in walked two new faces. "I wasn't that hard to find," said the second person.

"Ah, Hanse!" said Sandeul. "What can I get you?" He asked. "Well, I'll take the usual, and next time you see Byungchan tell him he owes me big time," said Hanse as he shook his head. "And tell Eunki that he can stop threatening to tear me to shreds because I needed him for one last thing," he added. "Sure," Sandeul said with a snicker, ringing up the order as Hanse passed him the money. "Keep the change," said Hanse. "It'll be a few minutes then," Sandeul said, nodding his head.

"Over here Hanse," said Taehyun as he waved him over. "God damn it, I nearly got myself killed trying to find this dude," said Hanse as he walked over with who everyone assumed was Wontak and sat down in front of Taehyun. Wontak sat beside Hanse, keeping his hands on the table in a way to show that he was harmless.

"So you're the werewolf hunter that everyone has been looking for," said Taehyun. Wontak snorts. "It's not that hard to find me," he said. "And yet I nearly got killed for it," growled Hanse. "Excuse you," said Wontak. "If you hadn't gotten in the middle of a war zone you would've been completely fine," he said. "Well I'm sorry, how was I supposed to know that your latest mission took you into a literal war zone between humans?" Asked Hanse.

"Is that really where they're sending werewolf hunters now?" Asked Taehyun. "I've run into the occasional vampire hunting team, but yeah," said Wontak. "I'm just glad to be back in the states," he said.

"So, what was so important that Yuvin had to give me one last mission for?" Asked Wontak. "Well," said Taehyun. "How much do you know of your family?" He asked. "I know enough," said Wontak. "Then you know you have a brother then?" Asked Taehyun.

"I knew," said Wontak. "What?!" Said Sandeul. "Yeah, I knew of you the entire time," said Wontak as he looked over at Sandeul who walked over and sat beside Taehyun with their drinks. "I got pictures," said Wontak. "And learned of you from there," he explained. "Mom and dad didn't want you apparently," he said. "Said it was abnormal for you to start changing so late," he said.

"So you killed them for that?" Asked Sandeul. "No," said Wontak. "They were in trouble for other reasons," he said. "It's funny because Dongmyeong and I were both sent to hunt them down," he said. "His story is a bit tragic, but it's good that he's found his brother after all these years," he said.

"So where are we going to go with this?" Asked Sandeul. "I don't know," said Wontak. "I could retire but I have this last mission to do," he said. "And I have a reputation to keep," he said. "What kind of reputation?" Asked Sandeul. "You'll find out one day," said Wontak.

"Dongmyeong was known for his clean kills, what about you?" Asked Taehyun. "I'm known to get in and out within a few minutes," said Wontak. "I think when it comes to teams I prefer to work with him," he said. "I don't think there is a more famous duo than you two," said Taehyun. "Well, other thank Kookheon and Yuvin," he added. "We were never declared an official team," said Wontak. "But if we run into each other we will work together," he said.

"So, about the werewolf you're going after?" Asked Taehyun. "I'll be in and out in like 10 minutes," said Wontak. "No worries," he said. "I made sure to come around on a day where he was home," he said. "Good," said Taehyun.