Closer

Don't Give Up On Me

Ch. 11

Amber’s POV:

We’ve just finished having our lunch and have now settled down into having a nice cup of warm coffee. During our lunch we didn’t talk about much, just classes and such; nothing too personal.

“So when did you move back to Korea?” I asked her.

“About two years ago.” She sipped her tea.

“Wow, that was about the time I moved back to America; except by myself.”

“And your parents let you go alone?” She asked curious.

“Well, I’ve been pretty independent since I was a kid. My cousin Victoria would take care of me but sometime when she isn’t there I would manage pretty well.”

“Didn’t you say she has to wake you up every morning?”

“That was the beginning, I was really tired. Actually, I’m still pretty tired.” I pouted. I really am; I’ve been doing non-stop working since the weekend started.

“You should really put your health first. I know this company is important to you but you have to rest or you’re going to get sick and end up not getting anything done instead.”

“Yea, I know…But I just want to meet everyone’s expectations. I want to prove to them that I am capable of the job. I may be young and that’s all they see. I can see in most of the higher position employees that they don’t like the idea of an 18 year old ordering them around.” I told her my observations.

“No one likes the idea of someone younger being the boss but it’s your job and it’s something that you have to overcome. If you keep thinking that no one is going to listen then no one is going to. You have to put your foot down and speak with confidence.”

“You’re right! Heh, it sounds like you already run a company yourself.” I chuckled at her.

“I’m a Jung; I’m born a leader, not a follower.” She raised her chin in pride.

“Hahaha, such confidence.”

“Really? A lot of men don’t like women that are independent, it makes them feel useless and you know guys and their pride.”

“I know, right? But I’m pretty sure that a lot of people will admire the fact that you can take care of yourself without the support of a man.”

“Really? Like who?” She asked me with a smile.

“I admire it.”

Her smile turned into a thoughtful grin.

I really do mean it, though. There’s nothing wrong with a woman that can handle her own. I find that rather attractive.

I swear the more and more I get to know this girl, the more I find that she has everything that I’ve been looking for. And trust me when I say that I haven’t even been looking.

What miracle is it that a young lady like her is to appear right before me? Now, if only she likes girl it’ll be perfect, but then again that’s too good to be true.

“Here you go sir. Another cup of coffee and tea on the house.” Our waitress set our new cups on the table and took our old.

She was staring at me the whole time. I just gave a smile of gratitude before leaving.

I looked back at Krystal after the waitress left and I could have sworn she was mad dogging her.

“Aren’t you going to correct her?” Krystal asked offended.

“No need, I get it a lot.” I chuckled taking a sip from my new cup. As I picked it up, a small piece of paper slipped from underneath it.

What’s this? I picked up the slip and I turned back to the waitress and noticed that her coworkers and her are smiling and waving at me as I looked at them.

“What is it?” Krystal asked, I can see a hint of jealousy in her eyes.

“Her number.” I slipped it in my pocket.

“You’re going to keep it?”

“You never know.”

“I’ve noticed that you have a lot of female fans around campus.”

“Eh, I don’t pay them any mind. They don’t interest me.” I waved it off.

“Actually, can I tell you something? It’s not a secret but I don’t want any misunderstandings.” I decided to tell her that I in fact do like both genders.

“Sure, shoot.”

“You probably have already thought about it, but yes, I do like both girls and boys.”

“….” She didn’t answer. It looked like she was deep in thought.

“I hope that doesn’t change anything. I still want to be your friend.”

“Of course not. I don’t judge people. I was just thinking about how brave of you to already be able to say it publically.”

“Well, yea. It took a while for me to tell my family but after they accepted it, it was easier to be more open about it.”

“Well, I’m glad you told me. It makes me feel closer to you.” She smiled at me.

“Hahaha, yea no point in lying about who I am. I rather be happy living my life than to meet the expectations of non-approving eyes.”

“Seems like you have your whole life and being figured out.” She chuckled.

“I just have had a lot of time to think that’s all.”

“Yea, it seems like you are lost in your own thoughts usually before class.”

“So you’ve noticed?” I laughed.

“I try not time to think, because when I do, I start thinking about things I shouldn’t.”

“Same here, but you know, that’s how I came in terms with my ideals. I rather know the truth than to be stuck in a box not knowing what the outside world is like.” I told her.

“You know, you’re really wise for someone your age. Your dad would be proud; your mom too.”

“Actually, I’ve haven’t seen my mom in 10 years.” I looked at my coffee.

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. You didn’t know. I don’t talk much about her. I’ve only heard stories but I don’t know who to believe so I go by what I remember about her.”

“Well, it’s her loss for not sticking around to see what a wonderful person you’ve become.” She rested her chin on her hands, smiling warmly at me.”

“Thanks. You know, let’s do this more often. I like talking to you. I feel as if I could tell you anything.”

Why is that? I tell her worries I have with my current position that I don’t even tell Vic. Partly because I don’t want to worry her. She already needs to take care of me I don’t want to bother her anymore.

“I just have that effect on people.”

“Can I ask you a question?” I asked her, I can’t wait anymore; my curiosity is getting the best of me.

“….okay.” Why does she sound so hesitant. It’s like she already knows what I’m going to ask her.

“Tell me the truth, okay?”

“I’ll try to my best ability.”

“Do you…remember being friends with me when we were children?”

 

(A/N: I can see most of you guys are getting curious about their past so i'm going to start writing the flashbacks in but what the cause of Amber's memory loss will still remain a secret for a little while longer. Glad you guys love my story, it makes me happy that you enjoy it. remember, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, and don't do drugs. No good-AH!!