Chapter 33: The Break-up

Hallyu Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay. That's it for today." SM Entertainment's performance head said.

They were at one of the many conference rooms in SM Entertainment's building discussing Super Junior's future plans for the year along with all the members, their managers and the different department heads of their company. Now that their leader has gone in the army, they had to discuss which member would temporarily take charge of the group. And everyone seemed to agree that Eunhyuk and Shindong should temporarily co-lead the rest of the members while Leeteuk is away.

"Everyone can go home now." One of the heads said.

"Deh. Kamsahamnida." The members and the managers bowed in chorus. Everyone stood up from their chairs stretching their arms and legs. They had been seated there for at least three hours. The conference room was filled with loud chatter, all coming from the Super Junior members.

"Everyone can go home. Except for Kyuhyun-ssi." SM Entertainment's PR head announced.

The chatter immediately died down. All eyes landed on Kyuhyun.

"Me? Just me?" Kyuhyun politely asked.

"Oh. Maybe a manager should stay as well. Preferrably him." The PR head said, pointing to Super Junior's equally handsome manager.

"Waeyo?" Kyuhyun asked. He could feel all s eyes on the back of his head.

The PR head squinted his eyes at him. "I'll tell when everyone leaves." He looked expectantly at the other members. "Well?" He asked.

The other members hurriedly gathered their things and said their goodbyes to the other heads. They each looked at Kyuhyun with a look that says that whatever it is that they would talk about, they would need to hear it after. Kyuhyun discreetly nodded at them before they went out the door.

"Please, sit down." The PR head said, motioning to the seats in front of him.

Kyuhyun and the manager, who were still standing up, slowly took their seats. Everyone has left the conference room except for him, his manager, the PR head and his assistant.

The PR head sighed deeply and loudly before leaning back on his chair and crossing his arms. "Hmm. Where to begin?" He murmured loudly while looking at Kyuhyun intently.

Kyuhyun nervously smiled at the head before bowing his head down. He was clutching his phone and noticed that Kangin messaged him. He discreetly read it.

Kangin: Kyuhyun-ah, we'll go ahead okay? You know where to find us.

He was about to type out a reply when their manager, who the members fondly called Prince Manager thanks to his princely and handsome looks, lightly kicked him from under the table. Kyuhyun looked up at him and found his manager glaring at him.

"We have a serious matter to discuss." The PR head said.

Kyuhyun only nodded at him. He was racking his brains, thinking of possible topics that the PR head needed to discuss with him. Could it be for a solo album? Or maybe that Super Junior would be disbanding because their responsible leader is away? Or maybe their planning to kick him out of their company already? Or maybe... Kyuhyun's thoughts were interrupted when he heard a sound of banging on the table. He looked in front of him and saw a thick brown envelope.

"Oh no." Prince Manager muttered.

Kyuhyun blinked at the brown envelope in front of him. He looked at the PR head, who was looking at him expectantly, and to his manager who had a look of worry in his eyes.

"Go on, Kyuhyun-ssi. Open it." The PR head urged him, pushing the envelope towards him.

Kyuhyun hesitantly picked the envelope up. It was thick and a bit heavy. He sighed first before opening it. Kyuhyun's heart dropped when he saw the contents of the envelope. He's not having a solo album. He's not going to be kicked out of SM Entertainment. Super Junior is not yet disbanding. Kyuhyun blinked his eyes while examining the photos on his hands. He felt his heart speeding up, his mind going blank except for one thought. They have finally been caught.

"Don't worry, Kyuhyun-ssi. We have a plan." The PR head said with a smirk on his lips and a look that made Kyuhyun even more nervous.

 

~0~

 

Super Junior's van stopped in front of Kona Beans but Kyuhyun wasn't moving. He was just staring blankly ahead of the dark road.

"Yah, Kyuhyun-ah. We're here." Their manager tapped him on his shoulders.

Kyuhyun snapped his head at him almost like waking up from a very deep sleep.

"Huh?" He blankly asked.

"Aish!" Their manager muttered while scratching the back of his head. "Compose yourself, Kyuhyun-ah. She might notice." Their manager said while pointing to the coffee shop. 

Kyuhyun looked. The windows were covered but light was streaming from the little cracks that wasn't covered. Kyuhyun sighed. Inside the coffee shop were his hyungs and his girlfriend having fun. And he didn't know how to face them with something boggling his mind. "Hyung, ottoke?" He asked his manager in a pleading tone.

"Aigoo, Kyuhyun-ah." His manager sighed. He reached out and tapped Kyuhyun's head. "You're a smart kid. I know you'll do the right thing." He removed Kyuhun's seatbelt and opened the door for him. "Now go inside and have fun. Don't think of anything else. Just have fun. Arasso?"

Kyuhyun nodded his head. He slowly made his way out of the van. He slammed the door shut and turned to walk away but stopped when he heard his manager calling his name.

"Yah, Kyuhyun-ah!"

Kyuhyun turned around and looked at him. His manager gave him a sad smile. "I'm really sorry." He said to Kyuhyun in a gentle voice.

Kyuhyun smiled back sadly at him. "Not your fault, hyung." He said before turning around.

He heard the screeching of tires signalling that their manager had already left as soon as he reached the coffee shop's door. He touched the knob and inhaled deeply.

"Manager hyung is right, Kyuhyun-ah. Don't think of anything else for tonight and just have fun. You can do it. Cho Kyuhyun fighting!" He gave himself a pep talk. He let out a deep breath. He smiled and opened the door.

Super Junior's songs were blasting loudly from the speakers of the coffee shop. Fortunately, the other establishments beside their coffee shop were already closed and they won't be bothering anyone with the noise. He saw some of his hyungs dancing on one side of the room, others were running around. But he was looking for someone else. His eyes scanned the room and saw her sitting on a table alone with her elbows on the table and her chin propped on her hands, puffing her cheeks while pouting. Immediately, Kyuhyun felt his heart lightening and his lips curling into a smile, a real smile. She picked her phone up, covering her face. Kyuhyun smiled when he heard his phone beeped. He was sure that he's the one she texted. He watched as Donghae and Ryeowook creeped up behind her, grabbed her phone and ran away.

"Yah!" She shouted and started chasing the two.

Kyuhyun sighed. He walked towards them and grabbed Shin Hye's waist and huggged her from behind before she could even catch the two. "Hey." He breathed on her ears. He turned her around to face him. "Yah. How could you be chasing other men when your handsome boyfriend is here?" He asked in a teasing tone.

Shin Hye smiled brightly upon seeing his face. "You're here!" She happily exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around Kyuhyun's neck.

Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around Shin Hye's waist and hugged her as tightly as he could. He inhaled and smelled her sweet scent. He lifted her up a little bit and swayed her to which she giggled.

"The oppas said you weren't coming anymore." Shin Hye said in a muffled voice.

"Is that why you're all sulky and pouting when I got here? I saw you sitting on the table." Kyuhyun said in a sweet voice.

"Yeah." Shin Hye replied. She let go of the hug and looked at Kyuhyun's face. Her hands placed on his shoulders. "I missed you!" She giggled.

Kyuhyun bit his lips while moving his hands from her back to her waist. "Really? Then who were you texting just now?" He asked, teasing her again.

Shin Hye fumbled for Kyuhyun's phone in his pockets. When she found it, she opened it and showed Kyuhyun a text. "You!" She said.

Kyuhyun laughed at how adorable Shin Hye is. He leaned down and gave Shin Hye a quick kiss on the cheek. "Are you aware of how cute you are? A little more and I think my heart won't be able to take so much cuteness from you."

Shin Hye giggled, her eyes twinkling. "I know, I'm adorable. You never let me forget. And arasso, starting from now on, I'd stop being cute." She said. She furrowed her brows and crossed her arms.

Kyuhyun wasn't sure if she's trying to look mad or what. He laughed again. "If that's your attempt at trying to not look cute, then I'm sorry to tell you that it's not working. You look as adorable as ever."

"Arasso. Then you'll just have to suffer the consequences of my cuteness." Shin Hye winked at him.

"Ugh, you two should just go and get a room." Someone exclaimed. Kyuhyun looked and it was Ryeowook. Beside him was Donghae taking selcas on Shin Hye's phone.

"Why are you chasing those two monkeys, anyway?" Kyuhyun asked Shin Hye.

Shin Hye turned around to see the two taking selcas on her phone. "Yah!" She shouted at them. "They stole my phone!"

Ryeowook and Donghae stopped taking selcas and stuck their tongue out to her. "It's our phone now!" They exclaimed in unison.

Kyuhyun glared at the two. "Yah. Give it back." He sneered at them.

Ryeowook and Donghae looked at each other then to Kyuhyun. "We will give it back.." Ryeowook said.

"If you tell us why you're late." Donghae continued.

"Oh yeah. Why are you late, anyway?" Shin Hye asked him, nudging him on his side.

"Uhm," Kyuhyun started. He felt everything around him stopped, the music, the loud talking, the teasings. He felt everyone's eyes on him just like how it was earlier in the conference room. He looked around but he was wrong. The music was still playing. The other members were still teasing and talking with each other. He looked at Ryeowook and Donghae who were wriggling their eyebrows at him. Then he turned to Shin Hye who was smiling at him very sweetly. Even her eyes were smiling and twinkling at him.

Shin Hye lightly poked him on his side. "Yah. Am I that pretty that you can't answer the question?" She teased.

Kyuhyun laughed nervously. "Sorry. What was it?" He asked blankly.

"Aish! Nevermind!" Donghae exclaimed.

"Here's your phone, Shin Hye-ah." Ryeowook said as he gave the phone to Shin Hye with a wink. He and Donghae joined the members who were dancing like crazy.

Kyuhyun breathed a sigh of relief. "That was weird." He muttered.

"What?" Shin Hye asked him innocently.

Kyuhyun shook his head. "Aniya. Nothing." He smiled.

Shin Hye squinted her eyes at Kyuhyun. "Are you okay? You're a little pale." She said. She placed a hand on Kyuhyun's forehead.

Kyuhyun wasn't able to help it. He wrapped his arms around Shin Hye's waist and hugged her again tightly. "I'm fine. I just really missed you."

"Me too. I missed you, too." Shin Hye said as she hugged Kyuhyun back. "But.." She said.

Kyuhyun gently broke the hug and looked Shin Hye in the eye. "But what?"

Shin Hye wasn't able to answer. Her eyes averted behind Kyuhyun where his hyungs were creating a commotion. Yesung was on top of the table doing his signature body wave dance move. "Heol. Daebak." Shin Hye giggled as Ryeowook climbed on top of the table and danced crazily as well.

Kyuhyun shook his head disapprovingly at the sight in front of them. "How embarassing. See that. That's exactly why I didn't want you to meet them in the first place. They sometimes just really love embarassing themselves." He said while crossing his arms on his chest.

Shin Hye laughed. "I'm glad I met them. They're really charming and funny. No wonder your fans love you guys so much." She said, her tone seemed like she was in awe.

Kyuhyun turned his head and stared at Shin Hye, who was laughing at the Super Junior members. Seeing her reaction, the members tried to do more crazy stuff just to make her laugh. Kyuhyun sighed to himself. He tried to think of how his life was before he met her but can't remember it. He tried to think of how his life would be like without her but it just seemed empty. Shin Hye, his girlfriend who is not aware that what they were dreading to happen has happened already. She is so precious and he is sure that he won't forgive himself if her career would be ruined all because of him and because of that, he finally made a decision. He took her hand in his and squeezed it tightly. He leaned in to her and whispered to her ear, "Do you want to get out of here?"

Shin Hye looked at him with wide eyes. She nodded her head and smiled, letting Kyuhyun to gently drag her out of the room.

 

~0~

 

Shin Hye hugged Kyuhyun's jacket tighter to her as she felt the cold spring air cutting through her body. It didn't do much for she shivered underneath the jacket. Kyuhyun took her at Han River, just at the edge of the water. If she moved a little to the front, she would tumble into the water. She sighed while waiting for Kyuhyun, who insisted on buying her coffee from the nearest coffee shop. She took a seat at the concrete and hugged her legs. She looked at the beautiful reflection of the lights from the nearby bridge in the water, letting her mind drift into her thoughts. A few days ago, she just completed filming her cable drama which was well loved by the viewers. And while she was too busy filming her drama, Kyuhyun was busy as well with preparing for their upcoming world tour ans for a japanese album that they never really had the time to talk to each other. This was actually the first that they saw each other after such a long time. Shin Hye thought that for a relationship to work, there should be constant communication which they do not have. Plus the fact that she had been hearing news about Kyuhyun from someone from his company. Also, her company's CEO talked to her about something very important and asked her to make a decision. So after talking with someone who she thought has a sane way of thinking, Shin Hye had come to a very important decision. Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang, breaking the stillness of the night. She looked at her phone and saw Hongki calling. She let out a deep breath before answering.

"Yobose--"

"Shin Hye-ah! My champagne is ready to be popped! Did you do it already?" Hongki excitedly asked.

Shin Hye covered her eyes with her hands. "Honestly, I--"

"Oh no! You chickened out, didn't you? Yaaah." Hongki said incredulously.

"I just can't do it, Hongki-ah." Shin Hye said in a pleading tone.

She heard Hongki sighed in his end of the line. "You were so intent on doing it when you talked to me about it the other day." He said sternly.

Shin Hye sighed as well. "I know. I was still firm on doing it earlier but then I saw him and he looked so adorable and he was so sweet, and--"

"And then you realized how much you actually love him." Hongki finished for her.

"Yes." Shin Hye answered quietly. And then it hit her. She loves him. So much.

"But he's a jerk." Hongki pointed out.

"No, he isn't. He's a really nice guy." She said.

"Sure he is. He's nice enough to not even bother contacting his girlfriend for a very long time." Hongki said in a pissed and sarcastic tone.

"But I had every chance to contact him as well but I didn't." Shin Hye tried to reason out.

Hongki laughed on the other end of the line. A laugh full of sarcasm. "That's because you were waiting for him to do so." He said.

"Well, what do you want me to do? I just can't throw everything away!" Shin Hye whimpered.

"You're basically throwing everything away by staying with him!" Hongki practically shouted at her. "And didn't your company's CEO told you the consequences if ever those photos are leaked? Did you forgot? Shall I remind you?"

Shin Hye felt her eyes getting hot. She can't cry now. Not with Kyuhyun coming any minute now. "I know." She quietly said in a choked up voice.

"Well, let me tell you anyway." Hongki said. It was obvious by the tone of his voice that he was getting worked up. "You've seen this happen before. We all did. And I think it's safe to say that all the hate won't go to him. It will all go to you."

Shin Hye wasn't able to help it and felt a tear trickle down her cheeks. She hated to admit it but, Hongki was right. She saw this happen before. And if ever the photos were leaked, it would be hard for her to rise again. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and sniffled.

"Mianhae, Shin Hye-ah. It's just that.." Hongki started. "It's just that I saw how hard you worked to be where you are right now. And with just a photo, all of those things that you worked hard for might crumble down." He said softly.

Shin Hye sniffed again before talking. "I know. And you're right." She said as she wiped another tear away. "I hate it when you're right and I'm wrong." She laughed a little to lighten up the mood.

Hongki laughed a little as well. "Shin Hye-ah, I'm just being a concerned friend. And I hope from now on, you try to think of yourself first before others." He said in a concerned voice.

Shin Hye nodded her head. "Arasso. But--"

"Fine. I won't tell you to actually do it. But at least think about it. Give it some thought, which I know you already did. Am I right?" Hongki said.

She nodded again even though Hongki won't see it. Tears have stopped streaming out of her eyes. She looked to her left and saw Kyuhyun approaching with two cups of steaming coffee. "I need to go. He's here. I'll call you." She ended the call, not letting Hongki speak more. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand to remove evidences of tearing up just as Kyuhyun came and sat down beside her.

"Was I gone for long? Sorry! I had a little problem with my card. But--" Kyuhyun stopped talking and was looking at her face. "Did you cry?" He asked, his face etched with worry.

Shin Hye smiled and shook her head. "Ani!"

"Then why is your nose red?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Oh." Shin Hye consciously touched her nose. "It's because of the cold. It's really cold." Shin Hye lied.

"Jeongmal?" Kyuhyun exclaimed. He placed the cup of coffees in front of them. He blew on his palms and rubbed it vigorously together and cupped Shin Hye's cheeks after. "Does it feel warm now?" Kyuhyun asked in his deep and sweet voice.

Shin Hye felt closing up and felt her eyes stinging again. She blinked several times and nodded her head.

Kyuhyun smiled. "Good." He said, looking her in the eye. "I'm sorry I left you here in the cold."

Shin Hye closed her eyes and felt Kyuhyun's warm hands on her cheeks. "It's okay." She smiled.

Kyuhyun removed her hands from Shin Hye's face and ruffled her head. "Aigoo. Your facing is turning all red. Are you that cold?" He asked.

Shin Hye shook her head. "I need to tell you something."

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows. "What is it? You sound so serious." He chuckled. "You're not breaking up with me, are you?" He said in a joking tone.

Although Shin Hye knows that he was just joking, she still felt something else by the way he said it and by the way he looked at her.

"Uhm, the other day, you know, my company's CEO talked to me and--"

Kyuhyun suddenly stood up and picked up a stone, not letting her finish what she was saying. "Hey, watch this." He said excitedly.

Shin Hye sighed. Maybe it can wait. She watched as Kyuhyun threw the stone into the water and it bounced off three times before going down. Shin Hye clapped her hands. "Wow. I didn't know you could that." She said.

"You didn't?" Kyuhyun asked. He sounded genuinely surprised.

Shin Hye tapped the spot next to her. Kyuhyun looked at it and sat down. "Tell me something about you."

"I love historical dramas." Kyuhyun proudly said.

Shin Hye shook her head. "No. Not that. I already know that. Something that is not found on the internet. Something that even your fans don't know."

Kyuhyun furrowed his brows, thinking of something. "Arasso. When I was young, I wanted to be a doctor."

Shin Hye giggled. "Jeongmal? Why?"

"I don't know. I just think it's really cool to save people's lives, you know." He said with a hint of shyness in his voice. "Plus I think I'd look really handsome in a white coat." He added.

Shin Hye nodded her head. "Okay. Cool. And no one knows about that?" She asked.

Kyuhyun furrowed his brows in confusion. "Does it matter if anyone knows it or not?"

"Can I be honest with you?" She asked Kyuhyun in all her seriousness.

Kyuhyun nodded his head. "Yeah. I guess."

Shin Hye moved and fully faced him. Kyuhyun did the same. She let out a deep breath before talking. "Okay. Sometimes I feel like I know you so well. One look at your face and I could already tell what you are thinking and how are you feeling. But sometimes, I look at you like you're a different person. Like, I sometimes feel like you're a big blur to me. Everytime we see each other, I learn something new about you. Like, you know. I feel like you're not really that open to me." 

Kyuhyun only looked at her. After a few long seconds, he laughed. But it wasn't a real laugh. It was sarcastic. "Wait, you mean to say that I," He said while pointing a finger to himself. "That I'm not telling you stuff about me?" He laughed again.

Shin Hye slowly nodded her head. "Yeah."

Kyuhyun again, laughed. "Don't you think that's a little unfair for you to say?" He said, his eyes twinkling.

Shin Hye raised an eyebrow. "Me? Why?"

Kyuhyun tapped her on the top of her head and smiled. He picked up his coffee and happily sipped it, not bothering to answer her question. Shin Hye watched as Kyuhyun drank his coffee. Drank it all in one shot even though it was piping hot.

She grabbed Kyuhyun's arm and lightly shook it which caused some of his coffee to spill. "Why is it unfair?" She asked.

"Yah!" Kyuhyun exclaimed while wiping off the spilled coffee on his hand. "Hot." He whimpered.

"Sorry! Sorry!" Shin Hye said. She took Kyuhyun's hand and blew on the part where the coffee spilled.

"So, what exactly are you trying to say?" Kyuhyun asked.

"That I feel like there are still a lot of things that you haven't told me." Shin Hye said while wiping Kyuhyun's hand with her handkerchief.

Kyuhyun pulled his hand away from Shin Hye and clenched his jaw. "Unbelievable." He muttered.

Shin Hye scoffed. "What?" She asked.

"I can't believe you're pulling this stunt with me right now." Kyuhyun said. His voice was cold as ice.

"What do you mean pulling this stunt? Are you getting mad at me?" Shin Hye asked. She surely wasn't expecting for Kyuhyun to get mad.

Kyuhyun puffed air out from his chest. "Yes, I am getting mad. Because you of all people are telling me that I'm keeping secrets from you." He said as he stood up from sitting on the cold concrete. He turned his back at Shin Hye.

Shin Hye followed suit and stood up as well. She walked towards Kyuhyun and faced him. "Wae? Is that not true?" She said, her ears heating up.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at her. "Seriously? Don't you think you're being a hypocrite?" He spitted out.

Shin Hye felt like she was slapped. She didnt think she would hear that word be said to her. Especially not from Kyuhyun. Not from her boyfriend. "Excuse me?" She said in a hurt voice. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter