Chapter 5

A Hunter's Decision

After driving for a few minutes Joshua decided to speak. "I'm surprised you don't remember me," he said. "I blocked out those memories of the camps," said Cory as he looked out the passenger side window. "It was afterwards," said Joshua. "When you got out with Jeonguk," he said. "Jeonguk's mate survived the camps you know," he said. "What?" Asked Cory as he turned to Joshua in surprise.

"There was a reason you had changed your name to Cory," said Joshua as he kept looking straight ahead. "And the reason Jeonguk kicked you out," he said. "You killed her Cory," he said. Cory blinked. "What?" He asked. "When was this?" He asked. "You were still going by your human name, and I was visiting with Sungcheol and Chan, since Jinhong and Kisu were both with us when we got you out of the camps," he said.

"You were feeling really off that day, and I guess some sort of argument started and you went berserk," he said. "It took Sungcheol and I to hold you down but by then you had already killed her," he said. "It was my idea, to give you a new name," he said. "It would be easier in case something like that happened again," he said. "And then Sungcheol, Chan, and I took you back to the states," he said.

"We got you to forget about what happened and I started calling you Cory, but we made you believe that Jeonguk's mate died in the camps," he said. "And that some random outburst caused Jeonguk to kick you out, but you ended up going back to South Korea with Changsun and Hongseob, who were visiting Chan," he said. "I guess you still don't remember," he said as he stopped the jeep at a stoplight. "No," Cory said after a minute.

"That explains the missing links between Jeonguk and I," he said. "How so?" Asked Joshua. "He forgave me so easily, for me to break the promise of bringing the 3 of us home," said Cory. "I didn't know there was more to it," he said. "He forgave you because the argument was his fault," said Joshua. "You were arguing over who would become alpha of the pack and that happened," he said. "He didn't put into thought about you being a lone wolf," he said. "You weren't used to being in a pack, and it got out of hand," he said. "Oh," said Cory as he sighed. "I guess, when I was living with my parents we didn't have a pack, it was just us three," he said. "It would make sense why I wouldn't want to have an alpha or whatever," he said. Joshua nodded, continuing to drive when the light turned green.

"That's why I was in the US after World War 2," Cory mumbled. "Mm," said Joshua. "Will I ever remember that time?" Asked Cory. "Probably, you probably already do with the nightmares, but," Joshua said with a shrug. He looked at the gas meter, noticing it was getting low. "Mind if I stop for gas?" He asked. "Sure," said Cory. Joshua nodded and drove to the nearest gas station and went to fill up the tank.

While Joshua was filling up the tank Cory went to get a drink, contemplating what he had been told as he tried to remember that time. He walked over to the jeep after getting himself and Joshua a couple sodas.

"So we knew each other back then huh?" He asked as Joshua kept an eye on the gas meter. "Mhm," said Joshua. "When I heard you had come to the states thanks to your ex pack mate Hui I had to check over Hongseob's file again," he said. "And then I ended up checking your file to be absolutely sure it was you," he said. "I'm surprised you still didn't remember us though," he said, shrugging. "I remember being in the US in the 50's but that's it," said Cory as Joshua finished filling up the Jeep. They got into the Jeep after Joshua paid and Joshua started the truck, going back to driving around for a little longer.

"I guess the amnesia did help, especially when we started calling you Cory," said Joshua. "Mm," said Cory. "Did my personality change?" He asked. "Kind of," said Joshua. "You're a lot more... Bold? Confident even," he said. "Back then because of where you came from you were a little quieter, more submissive," he said. "You didn't want an alpha, nor did you want to lead the pack either, so yeah," he said. Cory nodded.

"Do you want to go back to that life?" Asked Joshua. Cory tilted his head in question. "Back to being your quiet self," said Joshua. "Not really," said Cory. "Not after what you had told me what I did anyway," he said. "You can ask Jeonguk if you want a confirmation by the way," said Joshua. "I'm sure he'll tell the same story," he said. Cory nodded.

Joshua pulled up to the apartment building, where Minhyuk was waiting for them on the front steps. "Well, I guess I'll leave you to things then," he said, turning off the ignition and grabbing his keys. Cory nodded and got out of the jeep, heading inside. Joshua got out of the jeep after making sure traffic was clear and walked over to Minhyuk.

"Did I keep you waiting for long?" Joshua asked Minhyuk. Minhyuk shook his head. "No," he said. "Ryeowook thanks you for dinner by the way," he said. "Good, and I figured he was craving Subway," Joshua said with a chuckle. "What'd you and Cory talk about? He looked very serious when he left to find you," said Minhyuk. "His past, and how I know him," said Joshua. "It helped him get some closure actually," he said. "Well, that's good," said Minhyuk.

That night Joshua lay in bed with Minhyuk hugging him from behind. "Hyung," mumbled Minhyuk. "Hm?" Asked Joshua as he turned his head. "Your father is still looking for you," said Minhyuk. "Mm," said Joshua. "I don't want you to go back there," he heard Minhyuk mumble before Minhyuk fell asleep. "Neither do I," Joshua mumbled before he fell asleep.