MISSION 02

The Chaser

The police mobiles stopped in front of a run-down factory. Boram got out from the car and looked at Mingyu. Both had guns in their hands. And so did the other officers along with their bulletproof vest. Chief Jung directed his team to certain location. Boram and a few other officers will ambush through the main entrance together with other officer from Unit A and D. Other officers stand by the other entrance. Chief Lee waved his hand, directed to attack. The police ambushed through the rusting door of the factory. The inside were many tables and lockers full of weapons, ready to be export. The men started to panic to save themselves and escape. Within a few minute, police managed to caught them and no one managed to escape. The officer had their firearm aimed to the knelt men. Chief Lee who lead the operation checked on the weapon on one of the table.

“So you’re exporting these, Kim Jooyoung-ssi?” he lifted his head towards one of the men who knelt near the table. Kim Jooyoung lifted his head and smirked. “Of course. You don’t know how much I’ll make from that single weapon”

“We have some familiar faces here” Chief walked pass a few of the men. “So all of you had been working with Kim Jooyoung? That’s not a surprise though”

Boram still had her gun directed towards the guys in front of her. One of the knelt men straightened his legs as his legs started to cramp.

“Stay still!” she directed her gun towards the sole offender. The guy smirked and flipped his hair. “Come on, Boram. Can’t you be nice to me?”

Mingyu and the officers turned their heads toward her including the Chiefs. Boram bit her lips as her face started to turn red at the attention she received. “Don’t talk to me like we know each other” she gripped on the gun tighter.

“Owh but we know each other” the guy pouted. “Right, Officer Park Boram? Or maybe more than just acquaintance?”

She shut her eyes in frustration and sighed as she felt the attention once again. “Damn you, Min Yoongi” she whispered under her breath.

* * *

Mingyu pushed the door open as he followed Boram out from the station.

“Park Boram” he called. Boram sighed and eventually turned to him. She tried hard to ignore him just now.

“Do you know that guy?” for the hundredth time, he asked. Boram sighed and pulled her hair back. “How can I say this? Wait” “Come on tell me” he demanded.

“He’s my friend, okay?” she about to shout. “No, more than that”

“You mean?” “He’s my ex. We were together during high school. I though we will never meet again but” she sighed more as dark memories hit her. “I hate talking about him”

“But you know he’s on our wanted list for a while right? You know he robbed thousands times” “I know. That’s why I try my best to avoid handling his case. I don’t want to bump into him ever again”

“So you know about him” he whispered. She nodded, not dare to lift her head. “But today’s case, I have no idea he’ll be there”

Mingyu sighed. “You’re okay right? I’m sorry for forcing you to tell me about this. I thought you know him because he disturbs you or something like that”

“Nah I’m okay. Now all the three units knows about us. Damn you, Min Yoongi” she snorted.

* * *

Boram looked into the mirror in her room. It was morning. She sighed and turned to the hanging checked light blue sweatshirt hung on her wall. She remembered wearing the couple sweatshirt with Yoongi. “Why is that sweatshirt is my favourite shirt?”

Her phone rang.

“Good morning, Chief----Yes. I’ll be on my way” she got out from her room.

* * *

Boram walked to her desk and got ready to continue her works.

“Officer Park” Chief Jung called her from the walkaway. “Nae, sir” she shot up and dashed towards him.

They walked into the interview room. Mingyu was there monitoring the offender in the observation room with another two officer. Boram followed their view towards the confrontation room. Her shoulder fell. It was his ex-boyfriend.

“You see Mingyu told me that you can help since he’s your ex” Chief Jung started. She narrowed her eyes to Mingyu. “No need to be mad at him” Chief Jung patted her shoulder. “That guy doesn’t want to cooperate. We need info. So that’s why…can you help, Officer Park?” he asked. “I know it’s hard for you. And I’m sorry for asking you do this”

“No it’s okay, sir. I will talk to him” Boram nodded, encouraging herself to stay calm. She narrowed her eyes to Mingyu. “And I’ll deal with you later, Officer Kim” Boram left them. The others had their eyes at Mingyu. “I’m toast” Mingyu sighed with a smirk.

Boram turned the door knob and slowly pushed the door open. Yoongi looked up. They met eyes. She cleared and closed the door behind her. She could her heart beat in her own ears. *Why am I nervous? Is it because it had been ages since we talk to each other?* She pulled out the chair and sat across him. Yoongi sat straight and leaned over. She tried to avoid his eyes. *He’s a total mess. He must had spent the night in the cell*

Yoongi smiled. Boram exhaled a sigh and collected her courage to voice. “How long have you been working for Kim Jooyoung?” He didn’t give her answer and continued to stare at her. “Yoongi-ssi” she called. “Answer me”

“How are you, Boram?” he asked. “You’re not answering me, Yoongi-ssi” “You’re doing fine right? I see you become what you dream of” She sighed and lifted her head.

“Can you cooperate with us, Yoongi-ssi?” “Sure anything for you, my love” he smiled.

Mingyu had his hands clenched into fist. “He’s just flirting with her”

“Can you-“ she managed to keep her shout and stayed calm. “I’m trying to do my work here”
“Yes I see that” he replied. “Anyway, how can you be this beautiful, Boram?”

Boram shoot up suddenly that her chair fell onto the floor.

“Can you please” she swallowed the lump. “We’re stranger now, Yoongi-ssi”

“Stranger? But you just said my name” “Yah!” her eyes were bloodshot. She sighed to calm down and sat again.

He reached to her hands. Mingyu grinded her teeth. “Chief” he turned to Chief Jung. “Can I take her out now?”

“No let’s just wait” Chief Jung intensively look at them as if watching a drama.

Yoongi entwined their hands. Boram stared at their hands then to him. He smiled. She remembered how they used to be happy together. She sighed.

“How can you be like this?” she asked. He sighed and shrugged. “What do you mean? You said you want to run a restaurant. But now. What happen?” “It’s a long story. But let’s not talk about that now” “You’re right. You still didn’t answer me” she let go off his hand. “How long have you been working with Kim Jooyoung?” she turned serious again.

He chuckled. “I thought we could talk about us for a while” “Excuse me. But there’s no ‘us’ anymore. Now speak, mister”

* * *

Mingyu picked up the canned coffee from the machine and joined Boram at the chairs lined beside the wall. She already sank into the chair, face all gloomy.

“You okay, Boram?” he held out the coffee to her. She nodded and gulped the coffee. “That ! He dares touch you” he expressed his frustration too. “Tell me about it” she gripped onto the can so hard that it crumpled under the pressure. “I wish we will never meet again after this but it seems like I need to face his often” she sighed.

“I’m sorry, Boram. I suggested to call you since he won’t talk” “Nah it’s okay. That’s the least I can do to help the units. Look. Just now he told me everything when I talk to him” “He’s a total ” “He’s a jerk”

“May I ask you something?” “Yes” “Who broke up with whom?” “He… Well he’s the real jerk. I caught him dating with other girl. So I broke up with him” she lost again into the old sad memory. “If he wants to cheat on me, at least can he be a bit smart to cover up. He can say that I had mistaken but instead he bluntly admits that he cheated on me”

Mingyu patted her shoulder. “That was in the past. I hope you’ll meet someone better than him”

Boram smiled at him and nodded. “I hope that too”