MISSION 10

The Chaser

“Bye” a few girls waved to another girl as they exited the school when it was over. Dahyun waved at her friends then walked alone through the stores. Her eyes went to the pastry displayed. “Woah!”

 

She walked while looking around the neighbourhood. A man with hoodie shadowed his features followed her from behind. Dahyun narrowed her eyes. “Who is it?” she whispered to herself. Her heart beat started to race in nervous. She swallowed her saliva and braved herself to turn around.

“Yah!” she shouted.

“You dare call your brother that!” Yoongi pulled the hood off his head. “Oppa, I told you not to follow me like that!” “I just want to surprise you” “Or are you stalking me?” “Me? Tsk! I’m tired of your face already” “Then get lost!” she stomped away. “Yah, Dahyuni” he smirked and went to her. Yoongi slung his arm on her neck. “My Dahyun must be tired. Let me carry this” he took her bag. Dahyun smiled and took off her bag. Yoongi helped carry her bag.

“Oppa, let eat” Dahyun cling arms with him and skipped. “Nae nae” he smiled.

* * *

Morning dew dripped down the window of car in front of a small white English-style house in the neighbourhood. Boram’s phone on the dashboard rang woke her up. She stumbled upon hearing the ringtone and quickly answered the call.

“Boram-ah where are you?” Mingyu asked. “You’re at home?”

Boram rubbed her swollen sleepy eyes. “No. I’m outside”

“You just awake?” Mingyu looked at the house and turned to the car. He approached the car.

“Nae” she yawned and her eyes went out the windows. She shouted in surprise as she saw Mingyu’s face. “YAH, MINGYU!”

“Why are you sleeping in your car again?” he still talking to the phone. Mingyu tried to pull open the handle. “Open up”

She shook her head. “Aniya”

“Come on, Boram. Open it” “No” “Yah, you want me to take your picture, right?” “No!” “Open now!” “Mingyu!” “Or you want to tell me why you’re out here? Where have you been last night? Your family house? Did that jerk do anything to you?!” “No. I didn’t meet him. I went there. That crazy woman did not stop disturbing me lately”

Mingyu sighed. “You know you can ask help from me, right?”

“Tsk. Tell me, Mingyu” she smirked. “What can you help when my destiny is already written this horribly? Can you fix it? No. No one can fix it. Even me” she sighed. “Never mind. Just let me get ready first”

* * *

Boram and Mingyu was at the café for breakfast. Mingyu looked around the empty café. They arrived quite early that day so not many customers visited to take their breakfast.

“You know what?” Boram started as she put down the cup. “I had been thinking, who kill Hyukjae? Why do Jooyoung want to invent a drug? What will he use it for? Where is his lab? Who works for him?”

“We still looking into it. But how will you look into it if you can’t even enter the station?” “That’s why I need your help. There is this one question I had been thinking beside those questions”

Mingyu locked eyes with her.

“If Jooyoung threat Hyukjae, what or who is his bait?” “Hyukjae’s family?” “I think so too. Maybe you can search for his family members in the station” “I’ll do that. But for the time being, what will you do?” “I’ll still continue to look into the case” “Ask Yoongi’s help?” “Sure” “But you sure he’s not involve in this case?” “No. Positively” “Just be careful when you’re with him” “I’m sure he’ll not mess up with me. He knows best how I’ll kick his if he did that”

* * *

Boram got out of her car. Her eyes went to the small house of the rural area in the other city near the coast. She approached the old lady who was drying some fish in the front yard.

“Hello, grandma” Boram flashed her friendlies smile. The old lady lifted her head to her, no smile on her face. She continued with drying fishes and ignored Boram.

“I need to ask you something, grandma. I hope you can help me” Boram spoke. “It’s about Lee Jeongja family”

The old lady lifted her head to her once again. She looked around anxiously and then to her again.

 

 

Boram was sitting at the wooden walkaway of the old house. The old lady came with drink.

“Here, drink” she put one of the cup in her hand. “Nae. Thank you” Boram smiled and sipped on the tea.

The old lady sat across her with her hand busy knitting. “You said you want to ask about the Jeongja family”

“Yes. I heard you’re the first person to found the bodies” Boram put the drink. “They’re gone a while ago. Why do you still care about them?” “No, Grandma. I’m investigating on them. I’m Officer Park Boram of Cepheus Station. I don’t think the family die of poison they drank like already reported. That’s why I’m looking into the case again” “They’re not. Definitely not the poison. But I did that so the whole village won’t talk about them being kill for a long time” “You did what, Grandma?”

The old lady ran her eyes to the sky.

“I put the empty detergent bottle at the scene” “Just like they reported. You’re helping them because you and Mrs. Lee are friends, right?”

The old lady nodded. “For years until this very day, we’re still best friend. At that day, I went there to give her some of my dried fishes but end up seeing the horrible scene. Blood was everywhere. And I saw Hyukjin in the living room and Jeongja in the kitchen. Both already bleed to death. They can’t even say their goodbye to the other son” “Do you remember the wound on their body that kill them?” “Yes. There is a hole in each of their body. And the bruises all over their body” “The two are struggling with the killer” “Yes and the house was a mess”

“Grandma, do you remember the shape of the hole?”

The old lady squinted her eyes, trying to recall. Boram grabbed her phone and showed it to the old lady the picture of wound on Hyukjae’s body.

“Yes! It has the same weird shape like this one” the old lady exclaimed. “I never see a blade with that kind of shape. So small and seems blunt”

“Grandma, this is on Hyukjae’s body” “Hyukjae?! He’s dead?! Oh my goodness!” the old lady squinted her eyes and thumped her fist on her chest. “Aigo! Poor child!” She was overcome with melancholy at the sudden news.

Boram caressed her back.

“Hyukjae was a good son. How can people do this to him? Aigo! I’m so angry!” tears slid down the old lady eyes. “All the villagers always see him around helping everyone and he even went to the city to look for money for his family. What happen?”

“He was found dead at his house by his neighbour. And he was cremated last week” “Why did those people kill him too?! Aigo, that poor soul!”

“But Grandma, do you notice anything weird happening at the house on that day? Someone suspicious?” Boram asked. The old lady turned to her. “Nothing unusual. But that day, someone came to their house” the lady paused. “A doctor. Usually there is this one clinic in our village that sent doctors to houses to check on villagers. But he came on an odd day not like the doctors usually come. I left the house right after the doctor arrive”

“Can you describe the doctor appearance?” “Wait. Let me remember again” the old lady’s eyes went from side to side, recalling what she had saw past a few days. “He’s tall. And so skinny that Jeongja offered him food a few times. He has small eyes and wears spectacles. And he had small feet. I thought he was a girl”

Boram lost in her thought for a while.

“Maybe you can try ask the clinic, officer” the lady suggested. “It just right down this road. With red roof”

“Nae. I’ll try. Thank you so much, Grandma” “No. Thank you” she smiled a tad. “For looking into my best friend’s murder case”

Boram held her hand and smiled. She was touched by her remarks.

“I will do my best to find the murderer”

* * *

Boram got out from the village clinic. She sighed in disappointment. “It seems that this ‘doctor’ wasn’t a real doctor after all”

Her phone rang and answered it.

“Boram, the case is closed as suicide” Mingyu informed. “WHAT?! Hyukjae’s case?! But-“ “The cause of death is distinguish as over dosage of drug. Just the audience of the concert. But Hyukjae considered as taking his own life because the drugs found near his death scene” “What the heck! But you know it’s not suicide” “I know. But Boram we have no voice. We have no proof and unable to find the person who kill Hyukjae. And Kim Jooyoung is still unable to be track” “Maybe he’s on the run. Because he knew he’s wrong”

“Never mind, Mingyu. Thank you for informing me”

* * *

“Here” a lady who sat across Boram at a fast food restaurant pushed an envelope towards her. “Thank you, Chanmi. I appreciate it” Boram took the brown envelope and took out the content.

“It’s quite hard for me to get my hands on these, you know. But because you’re my friend, I help you” Doctor Chanmi drank her cold cola.

Boram had her eyes to the pictures of wound found on both Jeongja’s body and his other son. *The same size* she remembered the size of wound on Hyukjae’s body.

“Why do you need these anyway?” Doctor Chanmi asked. “You know the case about the guy was closed”

“How do you know?” Boram lifted her head to her. “News. Your chief announced it this morning” “Ouh he did” Boram sighed. “But I know it’s not suicide. I’ll proof it to them”

“I hope I able to help you, Boram” “You already did, Chanmi. Thank you so much”

Doctor Chanmi smiled and looked at her watch. “I need to go now. Sorry for not able to stay and chat longer” she slung her bag to her shoulder. She brushed her hair off her shoulder. “See you later” she waved.

“Nae” Boram waved back and looked as her friend exited the door.

Boram continued to see a few teenagers walked passed Doctor Chanmi and stared at her in wow as she walked pass them. *Boys* Boram rolled her eyes then went back to keep the photo. The groups made their way into the restaurant as they continued to chatter loudly. *Some citizen just don’t respect each other space* she glared at them and met eyes with one of them.

“You-“ her eyes widened, totally shocked. “Boram noona” one of the male froze his steps.

“Yah, Kookie. You know that lady?” another male asked. “Nae” Jungkook chuckled. “That’s my senior”