MISSION 08

The Chaser

                Captain Ahn made his way to the investigative division. The officers quickly stood and bowed to him. “Any new info?”

“Not much” Officer Lee answered. “As we all know” he moved to the board where all information was gathered. The board was full of post-it notes and pictures regarding the case. “Mr. Lee Hyukjae is the person who distribute the free drinks” he directed his hand to the picture from a CCTV of store near the Lily Square. It shows a male like Yebin and Soyul described.

“Lee Hyukjae” Captain Ahn rephrased the name and looked at Boram not far from him. “Officer Park, you know this guy right?”

“Nae, sir” “Don’t you feel it’s weird that he’s involve in such a big case?” “I think so too. And I’m trying to relate the two cases if possible” “Great”

“And from Officer Park” Officer Lee continued. “We know that Hyukjae own an AR-15 riffle and a glock”

“New info!” Officer Sejong stopped running as she saw Captain Ahn. “Sir!” she saluted before proceeded to the board. She pasted an A4 paper to the board. “This” she began. “Is the result from the lab. About the content of the drink audience received during the concert. Most of the drink distributed was safe but only 30 of them have dangerous substance in it”

“Dangerous substance? Poison?” Officer Lee asked. “No. Not really” Sejong looked to the rest of the officer. “Drug”

                Everyone there gasped.

“Yes. Ayahuasca or yage is brew made out of Banisteriopsis caapi vine and often used as a traditional spiritual medicine in ceremonies among the Indigenous peoples of Amazon” Sejong continued to read the facts. “And it causes hallucinogenic effect. Maybe because of the high dosage, it directly kills anyone who consume it”

“But how can that drug be in the drink?” Mingyu asked. “We should ask that to Hyukjae himself” Chief Jung replied. “Did we manage to track him?”

“No, sir” Officer Inseong reported.

“Sir” Officer Yoojin took everyone’s attention as he ended the call he just received. “We received a report from an individual saying he heard a gunshot from his next door and he said his neighbour name” he paused and looked at everyone. “It’s Lee Hyukjae”

“Alright. Officer Park and Officer Kim go check on it” Captain Ahn instructed.  

*          *          *

                By the time Boram and Mingyu arrived at the scene, the house was already crowded with neighbours. They made their way into the house.

“No!” Boram sighed as they saw Hyukjae lifeless body laid on the floor of the living room of the house. Pool of blood was beneath him. Mingyu took out his phone and informed the station as he walked out for a while. Boram bent over to the body. There was the glock in Hyukjae’s grip and a wound from the bullet on his head. Her eyes went to the blood that mostly came from the wound on his head. But she saw something else.

“Is that-“ her eyes went to another wound on his body. The wound was not too big. “Wound from small blade. I wonder where it is from?” she stood and looked around for the weapon.

                Mingyu came back and went to the dining table. A few alcohol bottles laid carelessly on the table and Hyukjae’s phone. He picked up the phone and went through the call log. The phone received calls from an unknown number a few times that day. Boram sighed as she walked into the living room once again.

“What’s wrong?” Mingyu asked. “There is a small wound on his body made from small blade. But I don’t think I see anything that can wound him like that” she replied. “You mean that this is not suicide?” “I guess so. Because besides the gunshot, I think someone came and hurt him first before he finishes off his life on his own”  

*          *          *

“The autopsy report is here!” Officer Inseong came into the investigative division holding a piece of paper. The officers snapped their heads to him.

“Cause of death is loss of blood through two major wound. One from the gunshot and another from a wound across his abdomen. The wound on the abdomen made from small blade. And the lab is still searching about the blade. Besides the wound, the body also covered with bruises and scars believed due to strangling”

                Officer Sejong pasted the pictures of part of the body that was wounded onto the board. Boram went to the board and stared at the picture of the wound from the blade. She ran her finger to the wound. *The size is familiar though*

“Officer Yoojin” Chief Jung called from his desk. “You track the phone number already?”

“Sorry sir” Officer Yoojin replied. “I tried but it’s a burner phone”

“Aish” Chief Jung hissed.

                Boram looked at the picture of the bloody silver glock. “This looks familiar” she whispered to herself. “Officer Sejong” she called. “Nae” the latter lifted her head from the reports in her hand. “Have anyone identify anything from this glock?” “Officer Yoojin was on it. But it seems that he failed to find anything for now” “Alright thank you”

“From what I can see” Chief Jung began. “This Hyukjae is not doing this alone. He must be working with someone. And that ‘someone’ must have shut his mouth so he can’t tell anyone”

“I think so too, sir” Mingyu voiced. “But who is this ‘someone’?”

“That’s our job to find out, right?” Chief Jung smirked.

*          *          *

                Boram gazed down to the cremation house. “Good bye, Lee Hyukjae-ssi” she voiced. The place was full of Hyukjae family and relatives. Mingyu was standing outside the building. He lifted his head to see Boram on one of the building roof.

“See anyone familiar?” she asked through the earpiece. “Nope” he replied. “You?”           

“No. I’ll move to somewhere else” “Nae. Be careful”

                Boram descended the stairs and walked through the alley. She climbed up the stairs to the roof of a building located quite far from the cremation house. She looked around but failed to see anyone that might involve with Hyukjae case. She sighed but as wind came blew against her face, a smile appeared on her face. *It’s so peaceful up here* The housing area was quiet and little vehicle went through the road there.

“Boram-ah” Mingyu’s voice snapped her out from her thought. “Nae” “I saw someone ran out from the cremation house with a bag” “What?!” her eyes darted wildly looking for anyone walking near her area. “I’m in the cremation house and I checked on late Hyukjae’s belonging. The glock is missing”

“Seriously? Let me look around more. Maybe that person still around here” her eyes looked around more. She ran downstairs to the lower level. A set of footsteps echoed through the alley. Her steps halted. She peeked down.

“Mingyu-ah, I think that person is near me” “Where are you now?” “4 blocks away” “Got it”

                The footsteps sound nearer to her. Boram fixed her eyes at a corner, anticipating a person walked out from the corner. And she was right. A lean male with bright hair and black suit walked out the corner. A bag in his grip.

                She gasped. “Yoongi?”

                Yoongi looked around as he walked. *He visit Hyukjae?* Boram eyebrows furrowed. *The glock! It was the same as he was holding the other day at the hotel room! Does this mean he know Hyukjae too? Why did he take Hyukjae’s glock?*

                She moved to the lower ground and decided to follow him in silence. *The weapon? Does this two related to the weapon export case? If so, then that must mean they received their weapon from Kim Jooyoung!*

                Yoongi walked into another alley. Boram followed behind. He stopped in front of a closed store. Yoongi looked around for any sight of a person. No one was in the alley except him. Boram peeked behind a wall. He opened the rusty steel door and entered the old dusty store. She approached the store and went around it. She saw another door at the back. The door was half agaped. She looked through the door.

                Yoongi dropped the bag onto the floor. Dust flew off the cemented floor. Boram was unable to hear a thing as they stood quite far in the middle of the empty dim-lighted room. A man with his face covered came and bent down to the bag. He took out the glock. *It’s Hyukjae’s* she thought. The man kept the gun and took the bag away. Yoongi looked around and his mouth moved as he was saying something to the guy. The guy came back but this time with a plank in his grip. Boram gasped as the plank landed hard on Yoongi’s back. Yoongi doubled over and smirked. *He must be about to swear at him now* she thought. And she was right. She saw his lips moved before he threw a punch that managed to land on the man. She watched as the two beat each other up.

*Yoongi is dying if this continues* Boram began to look around to find anything to make a sound.

                Yoongi fell onto the floor, beaten to pulp. He was about to get up again but there was a sound of glass shattered. Boram kicked the thrown window nearby and it shattered into piece. The man threw the plank aside and went to the direction of the sound. She ran to the front of the store and dashed into the store.

“Yah” she bent over to Yoongi. “Boram-ah, what are you doing here?” his eyes widened. He was not seeing this coming. Boram quickly slung his arm to her neck and helped him to stand. “Let’s get out of here”

                Boram had to drag him out as he was badly injured. He moaned in pain. “Come on Yoongi” she looked around for a place to hide. They stopped in an alley.

“Boram, where are you?” Mingyu asked through the earpiece. “Mingyu” she looked around. “I’m at-“

                Yoongi pulled her so close that she halted her words. “Don’t tell him” he whispered. “Please”

“Yah Park Boram” Mingyu called. But she didn’t reply and shut the earpiece off.   

“Thanks” Yoongi fell backward, leaning against the wall.

“Look at you” she eyes at the bruises on his face. “How-Why did he beat you up? You did nothing, do you?”

“Boram” he smirked. “Don’t look at me like that. I’m shy”

“Yah now isn’t the time for that”

                He chuckled. “I know”

“He just want the glock back” he started. “So I have to do it for him”

“Who?” “Kim Jooyoung. And that’s the last task I’ll do for him. Because I’m seriously against him now. That’s why I’m telling you this. Last time at the jetty, I didn’t go there as he said. I went abroad instead. That’s why I was beaten up. I must have got on his nerve” “But about Hyukjae. How do you know him?” “At the concert” “Jooyoung is involved too?” “Yes. He’s the one who distribute the drink. He wants to test the new drug he had made” “So he’s using the public as his lab rat?” “Exactly. That’s why I’m against him now. Hyukjae had to do it, Jooyoung threaten him” “So that’s mean Jooyoung kill him?” “What? You think he did?” he smirked. “There’s one thing you need to know about Jooyoung. He will NEVER dirty his hand. Someone else do it for him” “Who is it?”

“Boram-ah” Mingyu shout could be heard. They lifted their heads in sync. She stood and skipped out from the alley and looked around. “Mingyu-yah!” she waved him over. Boram ran back to Yoongi. “Where-” she paused. Yoongi was nowhere to be found.

“Boram, where is the guy?” Mingyu asked as he approached her. Boram stared at the space Yoongi was seating just now without listening to Mingyu.