MISSION 03

The Chaser

Boram looked up to the screen in the dark room. A few other officers were there too in the conference room. Chief Jung was explaining about the latest biggest case their team was going to handle. The screen displayed a villa.

“This is Paradise Villa, the location most people had found dead for the pass weeks”

The screen then displayed a gentleman in his late 20’s. “The first victim. Mr. Ha Minwoo. A clerk at Epic Company. The body was found at the parking lot of the villa on 24th March around 5 a.m. by the villa guard. His wife doesn’t realize he went missing as she was sleeping in their room”

The screen changed to display a picture of a young woman with a cheerful smile. “The second victim is Ms. Hyorin. She works for a modelling company and in her early 30. Was found dead by the villa staffs in the woods near her room after her colleague reported her missing on 5th April. Time of death is on 4th April around 9 p.m.”

“And last victim” the screen showed another male picture. “This is Mr. Lee Hyunwoo. He’s the owner of HW Company and the youngest millionaire in the country. His body was found floating in the swimming pool in the morning of 15th May”

“From what Unit C had investigated before this, all the victims went to the villa on odd time, not on usual day of holiday. So that’s all” Chief Jung put down his report in his grip. “That’s all the information that they provided us before handing the case to our unit. And yet they expect us to solve the case in just a few months” he snickered. He started to divide the task. “Let’s do a good job, okay?”

* * *

A male fixed his cap as he pushed the cleaning equipment along the hallway. His name tag witten ‘Kihyun’. The male smiled. His step stopped as a person exited from a room of the villa. He smiled at the young female. “Good morning, miss Soohyun” he bowed. “Good morning” Soohyun bowed back. “Going for a jog?” “Yes”

He saw the ‘make up my room’ tag on her door knob.

“I’ll make up your room beautifully” “Thank you. I’ll take my leave then” she bowed with a smile and left him. He watched as she left. He turned the knob and entered the room. He began to do his work. He done wiped the mirror of the bathroom and changed the towels. He glanced back to the cleaned room and smiled to himself. “All clean!”

* * *

“Officer Park!” Officer Sejong from Administration Department called Boram. “Nae” her head snapped up to her from the screen of her laptop. “Captain Ahn wants to see you” “Alright”

 

Boram lifted her head to the name displayed on the glass door. It was Captain Ahn’s office. *I didn’t do anything wrong, right?* She gulped. Boram fixed her clothes and inhaled deeply. She knocked on the door.

“Come in” Captain Ahn voiced from the inside. She opened the door to reveal herself. “Officer Park, come” he beckoned her to stand in front of him as his eyes busy looking at the screen of the desktop and the reports after one another. She heard a song played from his desktop. It was a young male voice and it was quite a recent song.

“I want to ask you something” he fixed his glasses and put down the report. He stared at her. “Do you know whose song is this?”

“Yes. It’s the song by new boy group named ‘ASTRO’ titled ‘Hide and Seek’” she answered. “Oh” Captain Ahn impressed with her. “So you know these guys?” “Not a fan but I just like their song” “Okay here’s what I want you to do. Go to your laptop”

She anticipated more on what he was going to say. Her heart beat raced due to nervous. Captain Ahn continued. “Turn on the wifi and download this song”

Her eyes widened in shock. “Download the song?” *He called me just to tell me this?!*

“Yeah. I like this song though. My daughter won’t let me download this song since she said I’m too old to like these young boys’ song” “Sir, if you want the song. I already download it” she took out her phone. Captain Ahn laughed. “No it’s okay, Officer Park. I’m just joking”

She couldn’t stop herself from narrowing her eyes to him. *This old man*

“Owh come on, Officer Park” he chuckled. “Okay here’s the real task. I received a request from a client this morning. Maybe you’re familiar with this name. Park Woojin” “Woojini? My cousin?” “Yes. He personally asks for your help to guard his idol group. You know he’s the manager for ASTRO, right?” “He never tells me. Maybe he just got transfer to that group” “Well the issue is one of the members received threat from unknown person” “Maybe a fan?” “I thought so too but it’s a guy” “A fanboy?” “But it just not any threat. The member had been into many accidents that seems impossible to be called accident. And almost kill him. So I want you to find out the blackmailer identity and protect the group” “Alright, sir” “But I only appoint this task to you solely. I hope you didn’t spread to anyone about this. Please protect the idols’ privacy” “I will, sir”

Boram exited the room. She took out her phone and snorted. She walked towards the quiet end of the hallway.

“Wonjin-ah!” “Boram noona~!” Woojin replied cheerfully. “Why did you call my captain directly?” “You can personally ask help from me, right?” “If I do that, you’ll have to ask permission from your captain and chief. Isn’t it easier if I ask him directly?” She sighed. “Anyway, we should meet. You can tell me everything about this issue” “Alright. See you this evening then” “Alright”

* * *

Somi held her phone to her ear. She looked around the fifth level of the shopping mall where people started to line up at a counter opened at the centre of the level. She was too in the line. Somi sighed as she waited impatiently for the other person on the line to pick up.

“Somi-ah” Boram answered. “Where are you? It’s like an hour I waited for you here. And you won’t believe if I say the line is ridiculously long” “Somi-ah, I’m so sorry. I don’t think I can make it there” “Seriously? What’s wrong?” “Nothing I just have extra work” “Owh it’s okay. Don’t work too hard” “Nae. I’m sorry for letting you wait for me there” “Nah it’s okay. Don’t forget to eat. I will surely get our tickets to our ASTRO oppa showcase” “You know they’re much younger than you right?” “Correction. Some of them” “Alright alright” Boram chuckled. “I’ll see you later then. Thank you, Somi” “Don’t mention it. Bye” She ended the call and lifted her head to the long queue in front of her. “My legs already sore from standing for hour” she complained.

 

Boram put her phone aside and looked up to the male in front of her. Woojin pushed a cup of iced americano to her. They were at the music entertainment café.

“It’s my friend” she stated and sipped on the cold coffee. “Ticket to ASTRO showcase?” Woojin smirked. “You know you can just ask free tickets from me, right?”

“Isn’t it unfair for the other fans? Besides, I’m just accompanying my friend. She’s a big fan of ASTRO” she cleared and looked around. “Anyway, can’t you think of anywhere else to meet? ASTRO’s fans might be in this café too”

“I wanted to bring you into the building but it’s only for staff. And I’m super busy so I can’t afford to go anywhere further” “If that’s the case” she leaned back. “Better tell me the important things without mentioning your artists’ name”

“Yeah sure” Woojin took out a few pictures from his coat pocket. There was a picture of knife with fake blood on it, letters written with red ink and a few screen shot of messages. “These are what one of the member received”

Boram reached out to the picture of the knife. “The blackmailer seems to be genius in creating fake blood”

“That’s the latest item the member received. We tried to keep this a secret. Only the CEO and the members know about this. I don’t want this matter to leak and got attention from the media” he voiced as she continued to analyse the photographs. “The member was depressed because of this. I hope you can help him”

“I will try my best, Woojini. And I’ll start to guard the group for the time being until I find the blackmailer” “Thank you, noona. I really appreciate your understanding” “I’m just helping the innocent citizen. That’s my job” “Tell me if you need anything” “Sure” “And you’ll receive the pass to access the company building by tomorrow. I’ll send the group schedule after this”

* * *

Boram looked down to the tag hang over her neck. It was written ‘staff’ on it. She looked up and continued following Woojin through the hallway of the music company building. He glanced back at her. “You’re not nervous are you?”

“What? No. Why should I?” “Well, you’re meeting your favourite idol” “I just like their songs though”

They stopped in front of a door. Music could be heard from inside the bright room.

“This is their practise room. I think they need to recognise their personal body guard then it’ll be easier if anything happens” Woojin suggested and turned the knob.

Six young males were practising dancing in the practise room. With the presence of Woojin, they halted their practise and lined up. One of them paused the music. Woojin approached them with Boram following.

“Hello, manager-nim” they bowed. “Yes. You do a good job practising” Woojin smiled. “I’m just here for a short visit and to introduce you to someone new” Woojin turned to Boram. The males with bright hair colour had their eyes to her.

She smiled and bowed. “Hello. I’m Officer Park Boram from Cepheus Station”

“Hello” the males bowed.

“She’s your group personal bodyguard” Woojin continued. “And she’s my cousin. So be extra nice to her”

“I’ll do my best to guard each member safety” she replied.

“Hyung” one of the member raised his hand. “Is it because of my case?”

Woojin hesitated to answer but then he sighed. “Yes. I asked miss Boram here not to just guard your group but also find the blackmailer” He turned to Boram. “That’s the member that I talked about”

She met eyes with the member. He bowed. “Hello. I’m Cha Eunwoo”

“Hello” she bowed. “I’ll do my best to find the blackmailer”

“Yes please do” he mustered a smile but still she could see he was depressed. She nodded and ran her eyes to the other members. “I’m sorry but I think you need to introduce your name to me. Since I just know the name not the person. I do like your song though but I don’t think I can recognise each member easily by myself”

“Alright then” the male at the end voiced. “I’m leader Jin Jin”

“I’m Rocky” “I’m Moobin” “MJ” “Maknae Sanha”

“I guess you need time to get to know each other” Woojin smiled and turned to Boram. “You have their schedule, right? Now it’ll will be easier since you’ll know about their whereabouts. And as of today, I guess that’s all. Since they’ll be in the practise room until dawn, I don’t think you need to guard them”

“I will them to their dorm later after practise” Boram then turned to the members. “I need to talk to you later about the case. And if any of you receive any other threat, let me know”

“How about after practise?” MJ suggested. “Sure that’ll do” she nodded.

“Well if you done” Woojin started. “I need to introduce miss Boram to the other security staff”

“Yes of course” the boys bowed.

* * *

Boram yawned as she drove through the empty road after waking up from slumber in her room. It was 2 in the morning. “They just finished practising” she glanced at the passenger seat. There was a plastic full of food. “They’ll be hungry. I can’t believe they’re still up at this hour. They’re just amazing!”

* * *

Boram sat with the members in the middle of the practise room.

“Thank you, Boram-ssi” the members thanked as they dug into the food. “You’re welcome” she smiled as she unwrapped one of the hotdog bun for herself. “You guys must be tired. How can you manage to stay up until wee hour? It’s amazing”

“We’re used to it by now” Sanha replied. “Boram-ssi, we must give you a hard time”

“No it’s okay. It’s my duty” she replied. “So is it Eunwoo-ssi only who received the threat or did other members received it too?”

They shook their heads. “Only I received it” Eunwoo replied. She took out a notebook from her pocket and a pen. “So since when did you start receiving these threat?”

“Early last week” “And you started to receive the hate mail first, right?” “Yes” “Do you have any individual in mind that might hate you or want to harm you like this?” “As far as I know, no. I don’t think any of my friends or family will do this to me”

“We target the fans” Rocky stated. “It’s not that we don’t trust our AROHA”

“Some of the fans may be not a ‘real’ fan, right?” Boram continued. “It just too random” Moonbin stated. “It could be anyone. How can we catch the blackmailer? It’ll be really hard”

“You guys don’t have to worry about that. Even if it’s hard, I’ll make sure to catch the culprit ASAP”

She took out the pictures Woojin had gave. “Woojini-I mean your manager gave me these. And he did brief to me about the problem”

“The knife is the scariest one” Sanha stated. “But luckily it just fake blood”

“Fake blood” she rephrased as her mind tried to reach something. “Do you by any chance still keep the knife?” she turned to Eunwoo. He nodded. “Thank goodness. Can I have a look at it tomorrow after your schedule?” “Sure”

“And do you remember the content of these letters?” she pointed to the picture of letters written with red ink. “Wait” Eunwoo ran and took his phone. He scrolled through the gallery. “Here. I snapped the picture of it” he held out the phone to her.

Boram read the content of the letter. “So this blackmailer just jealous of you”

“We think so too” MJ replied. “But isn’t it over the line to send death threat like that?” he sighed.

“But it’s scary though” she still reading. “He doesn’t want to see alive. We really need to find out the blackmailer fast before he could harm you physically” She looked at them. “But this kind of case is quite common for us police. And mostly, the case closed without any loss of lives. So no worry”

“Loss of live” Eunwoo smirked. “That word is much scarier”

“But something is funny about the letter” JinJin mentioned. She turned to him. “It smell nice”

“Nice?” “Yes. Something delicious. According to Rocky, it smells like bread” “Yes” Rocky nodded. “Freshly baked from oven. Maybe the blackmailer is baking while he was writing the letter”

“Or maybe he’s working” she suggested. “A baker? Since the ingredient to make fake blood can easily be found in a baker’s kitchen”

Their eyes widened in surprise. “We never thought about that”

“But we’re not quite sure yet. I guess I need the letter tomorrow as well” “Alright” Eunwoo nodded. “I’ll show it to you tomorrow”

Her eyes went to the picture of the screenshot.

“The blackmailer sent messages to your phone right? Have you tried to call it?” “I did but couldn’t reach it” “It’s okay. I’ll try and track the number”

She typed something on her phone and put it aside.

* * *

Boram’s phone rang. She picked it up as her eyes went to Woojin who was driving the van.

“Nae, Mingyu-ah” she answered then pulled the phone off her ear. The entire the van could hear Mingyu’s shout and made the members stayed still from trolling each other. She mouthed ‘sorry’ to Woojin.

“I have some other work” she explained. “Other work?!” Mingyu rolled his eyes. “Don’t you know I had been looking for you around the station all day?! Where are you now? Why are you still awake at this hour?”

“Don’t Captain Ahn told you about my personal task?” “No he didn’t tell me. You know that old man always stuck in his office” “Well it’s quite important so I don’t think I can tell you. Ask Captain Ahn if you want” “That old man will never tell! Where are you now?”

Her eyes nervously went to Woojin who was driving. “I’m hanging out with my cousin now” “Your cousin? Is it a guy?” “What? No. Of course not” “Really? Proof it” “What?” her eyes once again went to Woojin. Woojin heard their entire conversation and shook his head, terrified as he knew what she wanted to ask him to do. She brought her palm together and pleaded. He sighed, gave up. The other members leaned forward, anticipating their manly manager to act out his voice as female. Boram held her phone to his ears. MJ had to held to Sanha mouth as the maknae already started to laugh. Woojin cleared and imitated a female voice. “Hello, Boram’s boyfriend”

Boram pressed her lips inward, holding back her laughter. The members struggled to keep their laughter.

“Aigo, Hajin-ah. I told you he’s not my boyfriend” Boram pretended to reply to her ‘female’ cousin. “You hear her, Mingyu?” she continued to talk to Mingyu.

“She must be a beauty. I want to meet her one day” he replied, sarcastic. “Anyway’s what’s with the number you gave me?”

“Can you run the number in the system for me? I don’t think I can step into the station tomorrow either. And I need the result fast” “About your secret task again?” he sighed. “You’re lucky I’m still at the station”

“Station?” “Uhuh. The weapon export case is not closed yet so yeah. Here I am working alone” “Aigo, poor Mingyu. We’ll go to holiday later, okay?” “As long as you’re paying, I’m okay with it” “Aigo, this guy. Don’t work too hard” “Nae you too. I’ll text you the result in a minute” “Thank you” He ended the call.

With that, the whole van laughed out loud including Boram. Woojin chuckled to his silly voice too.

“I’m so sorry, Wojini” Boram patted his back as she was laughing. “Hyung a beauty?” JinJin struggled to say between his laugh. “I guess I have to pretend to be Hajin to meet him right?” Woojin smirked.

* * *

Woojin got into the car again after sending the members into the building. Boram was staring down at her phone. His eyebrows furrowed. “Woojini” she called.

“Yes?” he looked at her. She showed him a picture of a guy in his late 30. “This is the owner of the number. His name is Lee Hyukjae. Have you ever saw this guy anywhere? Maybe at the showcase or fan meet?” “As long as I remember” he shook his head. “Maybe you should ask the boys. They focused to the audience more than staff do” “You got a point there”