MISSION 05

The Chaser

Boram joined the others at their practise room. She sat on the floor. Eunwoo turned to her. “You sure you’re okay, Boram-ssi?”

“Yes” she smiled and nodded.

“But the blackmailer really crossed the line” Moonbin complained. “How can he thought of something so extreme like killing?”

“He’s trying our patient” JinJin replied.

Eunwoo phone rang and he looked at the ID in terrified. Boram took his phone as he held it to her.

“It’s the blackmailer!” Rocky gasped. “It the first time he ever calls”

They gathered around the phone as Boram the loud speaker and recorded the call. The voice was edited.

“Don’t you dare report this to the police. Or I’ll make sure your members receive the same fate like you too”

They looked at each other. She narrowed her eyes. The voice continued.

“Kill yourself or I’ll kill you myself. Get it, Kim Dongmin?”

Eunwoo panted in anger. “Show yourself, coward!” The voice snickered. “You’ll regret it when you see me” The call ended.

“Darn it!” Eunwoo swored under his breath with his head facing the floor. *No. Not the members*

“He said don’t report it to police” Sanha looked at Boram. She smirked and shrugged. “Well you got a police officer as your guard. Oh well”

“We can solve this problem together. I know we can” MJ patted Eunwoo on his back.

“Myungjun-ssi is right” she ran her view to the others. “We can solve this” she turned to Eunwoo. “You bring along everything I told you to, right?”

Eunwoo lifted his head and nodded weakly. He got up and took a backpack. He took out a box and pushed it to her.

“I asked my friend to track the phone number” she opened the picture of the blackmailer. “And this is what he found” she passed the phone to them.

“His name is Lee Hyukjae, 38. Live alone and working at Jang Bakery in Auriga District. Do any of you familiar with this guy? Maybe you saw him at the fan meet?”

“Why would he pay to come for fan meet if he hates us?” Moonbin asked. “Don’t know” she shrugged.

“I think I saw him the other day” Rocky held the phone back to her. All eyes darted at him. “Where?” she demanded an answer. “At the tool shop two blocks away from here”

“In fact” he continued. “I think I did saw him a few times at our showcase and fan meet. Don’t you all see him?” he turned to the rest of the members. They shook their head. “I’m not sure” Sanha pressed his lips, unsure if he ever saw they guy.

Boram took out the items from the box that was the letter and the knife.

“Hey~” Woojin came and joined them. But everyone seems to ignore him as they were immersed to the items.

She held the letter and read again the words.

“Why would he do this to us? I’m so frustrated with this guy” Eunwoo was still staring at the picture. “You sure you don’t recognise him?” JinJin asked. “No. I’m sure of it”

She turned the paper over. There was a stain of something brown behind it. “Did anyone other than you touch this letters?”

“No” Eunwoo shook his head. “After I read it, I kept it in the box and didn’t allow anyone to touch it”

She ran her finger to the stain and felt the texture. Her brows furrowed. Boram brought the paper closer to her nose and smelt it. “Blood?”

“Blood?!” they were in sync. “You sure it’s blood?” Wookjin asked. “Wait” she narrowed her eyes, still doubting. “No. It’s not blood. It did smell rusty but blood smell rusty only when it’s still fresh”

Her head snapped to Rocky. “You said you saw him at the tool shop, right? Do you remember if he bought anything from there?”

“Some tool I guess” Rocky explained. “Because we accidentally hit each other when he walked pass me. And the bag in his grip knocked my leg. I think he was carrying some steel because it left bruise on my leg”

They were silent. Each thinking about the connection between the information they had gather. “I’ll visit him tomorrow morning at the bakery. I’ll catch him if I can”

“So” she turned to Woojin. “Make sure you’re with them until I come back, okay?”

  1. Woojin nodded.

* * *

Boram came and joined ASTRO and Woojin who were at the garden. They were on break from photoshoot session for magazine.

“What happen? Did you catch him?” Woojin shot question. She doubled over and sighed. She shook her head. “No he knew someone is following him. I should be more careful”

“Why? What happen?” Eunwoo asked. “Well… this morning I went to the bakery but he wasn’t there. The worker said Mr. Hyukjae took the week off. So I asked if he knew where he might be because I went to his home but he was not there. The worker told me that Mr. Hyukjae might spend his time at his workshop. So I went there. And I saw him fixing an old car. It seems that he owns the workshop and he like to restore and transform old thing into something unique. The place is full of iron”

“That why he went to the tool store” Rocky added. “Yes. He need to buy supply” she continued. “Anyway, I went around his workshop and I saw steel ball inside a bag with the logo of the tool shop. I think maybe Rocky had hit that bag the other day”

“No wonder it hurts a lot” Rocky was surprised.

“That’s not the best part yet. I saw something long beside the bag” They had their eyes to her. “It’s a riffle”

They gasped. “He’s going to shoot me?” Eunwoo whispered. “No we’ll never let that happen” Woojin patted his shoulder to comfort him.

“But then” she sighed. “I heard he’s coming so I was totally startled that I accidentally hit the bag full of steel ball”

“You what?!” Woojin sighed and rolled his eyes. “I know. I’m sorry” she pleaded. “So I ran away to the busy road because I thought he’ll chase me. But then I didn’t see him”

“Next member please come here” the director called them. “Nae!” ASTRO members replied full of enthusiasm. “Never mind you go on with your work” Woojin told them and they left. He looked at Boram once again. “I’m really sorry, Woojini” He sighed “Nah it’s okay. At least you’re not caught” “I hope he thinks it was cats’ doing” she sighed.

“Anyway, what will he do with the riffle?” he asked. “He wouldn’t shoot Eunwoo, right?”

“I can’t guarantee that myself. But all I know I’ll protect him and the other members”

It was Eunwoo’s return for the photoshoot. The members and Boram stayed near him, anticipating if something bad will happen again. Boram looked around, guarding. Eunwoo’s session ended in peace and without them knowing, they sighed in relieve at the same time as the nerve wrecking moment went pass.

Moonbin stood in front of the camera as it was his turn. Eunwoo came to them with a wide smile. “I was so scared that something bad might happen”

“Luckily nothing happens” Sanha chuckled. They split and did their own activity.

The other members were enjoying the refreshment and rested under the umbrella while Boram stood near the set, eyes glued to Moonbin.

A riffle shone as sunlight hit the iron body. A person loaded the weapon with steel balls. Boram noticed something shone as the shine blinded her. She looked to the source of the shine. A bullet went pass by her so close to her face. Her head snapped to Moonbin in terror. “Duck!” she pulled him away as more shots were fired towards them. The female staff screamed in fear and everyone ran to hide and saves their life. Boram and Moonbin were hiding behind an audio system. She looked at him as he winched in pain. Her eyes went down to his hand that was holding onto his bleeding ankle. “Oh no!” she held onto the wound. “Hang in there, Moonbin-ssi” He was panting, holding on to the stung. The shots stopped.

“Wait here” she stood and sprinted to the other members. “Sanha!” Woojin was shaking Sanha’s body who was now unconscious. Pool of blood was under his pale body. Boram lifted her head to see a female staff nearby who just got out from her hiding place and terrified at the scene before her. “Miss, please call the ambulance!” “Nae” the staff held to her phone with trembling hand.

“Sanha” JinJin held onto his bleeding arm and knelt beside him. Boram looked around. A few other staff were injured by the attack. She clenched her hand into a tight fist. *I swear I’ll catch you for this*

* * *

“This morning, the new boyband ASTRO was attacked by unknown individual while they were shooting for ‘ALWAYS’ magazine. Most of the staff were injured due to the attack. The boygroup youngest member, Yoon Sanha was still unconscious”

Moonbin closed the TV in front of him. His leg was bandaged. He sighed. JinJin who was at the other bed of the hospital sighed as well. His arm was bandaged. The other members were there too but they were speechless. Too worry and shock at the same time. Boram rubbed her face in worry. Her phone rang. She got up and stood at the hallway. She squinted her eyes as she was listening to Captain Ahn yelling at her. “I’m apologise, sir----Nae” He ended the call. Boram leaned to the wall and flopped onto the floor. “It’s all my fault. I couldn’t even protect them”

The door of the room was closed. A shadow fell over her but she didn’t dare to lift her head as she started to sob. Woojin knelt and pulled her into his embrace. “It’s okay, noona. You did a great job back there” he patted her back. “We’ll sure to catch that guy”

 

Eunwoo stared out the window. He could see reporters had gathered at the main entrance of the hospital. He sighed. *That guy really going to pay for this!*

* * *

“The CEO said all ASTRO’s activities halted until this case close”

Boram remembered Woojin telling her the message. She was leaning against the wall out of the member’s dorm. Noises could be heard from the dorm.

“They’re so loud” she chuckled.

“Alright let’s go, Boram-ssi” Sanha went to her. The members started to exit their dorm.

“Our activity was halted doesn’t mean that we don’t have to practise” MJ voiced as they were waiting for the elevator. The members whined. “Just look at the bright side. We can have some rest and write song during this period, right?” JinJin smiled.

“Not so ‘rest’ right?” Eunwoo whispered. Boram beside him smirked at him. “I know you idols must be super tired” “Of course”

They walked towards their van in front of the building. Boram got into the van and sat beside the driver seat. Eunwoo got into the passenger seat. “Woojin-ah” she lifted her head to the driver seat after putting on her seat belt. Her eyes widened in fear. The door was closed and locked. Eunwoo had his eyes to the driver as he noticed something was off. The other members were still outside and was confused. “Yah open up” JinJin tried to pull the handle.

“Where’s Woojin?!” she demanded but the unknown driver who hid his face behind the mask and cap didn’t utter a word. Boram saw Eunwoo at the back. “Eunwoo, get out!”

The unknown driver closed and nose with the handkerchief. Boram’s head flopped to the side as she fainted.

“Damn it! Open up!” Rocky knocked on the window of the vehicle. And so did the others as they learnt the situation. Eunwoo was struggling to open the door too.

“Stay still, Dongmin” the guy aimed a gun to Eunwoo. Eunwoo let go off the handle. The members gasped as they also saw the firearm. “Yah!” MJ kicked the door.

The vehicle started to move and left them. “They were kidnapped!” Sanha panicked.

“Hyung!” Moonbin saw Woojin who was beaten to pulp unconscious in front of them. He probably beaten up right before he could enter the van. JinJin took Woojin’s phone. “Hello, Mr. CEO”

* * *

Eunwoo gained conscious again and looked around the dark room that was full of iron. He remembered himself fainted in the van. His hands were tied together to a pole. His lips were sealed with tape. Boram was still unconscious and tied to a chair near him. He mumbled her name but she couldn’t hear him. Eunwoo looked around to look for something he can use. A rod was near his leg. He grunted as he tried to reach for the rod with his leg. The rod hit Boram’s leg. She blinked her eyes opened and looked around. She recalled what had happened. She mumbled his name. *Oh no! Now what?* she looked around the room full of rusty iron. It was Hyukjae’s workshop. But there no sight of the male. *I better figure out a way to get out from here* She tried to move her hands but it was tied with rope. Boram shouted in frustration.

Eunwoo told her to quiet down. She sighed. All of the members and Woojin face came into her mind. *No I can’t give up now* She tried to unseal her lips. The tape slowly became loose at it unsealed her lips. “Yes” she whispered. He stared at her in awe.

“Eunwoo-ssi, wait” she dropped herself to the floor and dragged her being towards him. “You okay?”

He nodded.

“Let me” she leaned in. His eyes widened at how close their faces were again. Boram bit on the tape end on his lips. Slowly and carefully, she unsealed his lips. Eunwoo gulped a large amount of air. “Thanks. Now I can breathe again” he sighed in relieve.

“Now, we need to untie ourselves” he voiced. “Wait” she looked down to her tied hand. “This is just rope” she smirked. Boram held to her leg and took out a pocket knife from inside her socks. “What?!” he whispered in shock. “How can you keep that there?”

She shrugged with a smile. She struggled to keep the knife and cut the rope as it scarred her hands. She winched but hold the pain. The rope fell onto the floor. Boram then cut the rope tied to her legs then freed him. “Thanks” Eunwoo voiced.

“Yeah sure” she nodded. Her eyes darted to each corner of the room. “I can’t believe we’re kidnapped” she snorted. “I hope my friend at the station can locate us here”

“How can they know we’re here again?” he asked. “GPS. On my watch” she brought her hand, eyes still looking around. “There” she pointed to a source of light at the end of the room.

“Let’s go” she led the way. They walked between the junks.

The door suddenly burst open, revealing Hyukjae with the riffle in his grip. They held their breath. Hyukjae walked to the pole he tied Eunwoo to. “Damn it!” he kicked a steel can near him that made the two jumped. Eunwoo accidentally hit a rod that it fell onto the floor, creating a sound. Boram and Eunwoo exchanged terrified eye contact. Hyukjae smirked and put the riffle aside. “So you want to play hide and seek, eh?” he took out a glock from his back pocket.

“Seriously where did this guy get those firearm?” Boram whispered to herself. She pulled Eunwoo to follow her as they moved to another corner.

Hyukjae saw a movement at the rack. He fired a shot. Eunwoo and Boram gasped as the bullet nearly hit them. She pulled him to hide behind piles of rusting barrels. They peeked on the guy between the barrels. Boram could hear her own heart beat at her ear due to the haunting fear. She glanced at Eunwoo. His bright skin become paler in this situation.

“Kkkokkkokkkokkkok sumeora~ Meorikarak boila~ (Hide carefully~ I might see you~)” Hyukjae sang, still searching for them. “See? I even know your song, Dongmin”

*This guy is really annoying!* she narrowed her eyes, irritated with him. Boram lifted her head. The exit was not too far from them already.

“Eunwoo-ssi, listen” she whispered. Eunwoo looked at her, still panting in fear. “You go out there and call the cop. I distract him”

“But he’ll get you” “I’m going to be alright. As long as you’re safe” she smiled to reassure him. His eyes went to the guy and the exit one after another.

 

“Come out already” Hyukjae called them again. “You think you’ll be safe just because you have a police with you?”

Eunwoo had her eyes at Boram as she went far from him to the place they were tied. He moved quickly to the exit. She took a rod and knocked on a few small barrel near the place she was hiding. Hyukjae turned to the sound and narrowed his eyes. The glock aimed to the source of sound as he stepped towards Boram’s location, deeper into the room. She once again knocked the barrels. Eunwoo quickly pushed the door open and got away from the room. Hyukjae saw a figure dashed out the door. He yelled in furious. “Can’t you kids stay still for a while?!” He made his way to the door. “You think you’re with the police you’re safe, Dongmin? Your police look tiny I can even squish her with my foot!”

“YAH!” Boram snarled. Hyukjae halted his steps and chuckled. He walked back to her direction. “Annoyed already?”

She snorted in anger. He really got on her nerve this time.

“Come out! Don’t be a coward!” he was standing near the pole. Boram stepped out to the light “Look who you call coward. Aren’t you the coward one? Scaring people behind those harsh words of yours. Can’t even show yourself if you want to hurt someone. What a petty person” she snickered back.

“Hey, missy. You better watch your mouth” he aimed the glock to her forehead. “You little kid should beg to spare your life. Or you’ll die here alone without anyone knowing”

“Never I will” “You think I should be afraid just because you’re a cop?” “No. You should be afraid of the law. You just bought a ticket to prison for 14 years all for yourself, mister” “Shut it, tiny!” “No” she grabbed a rod near her. She held it out to his face, threatening him. “You should shut up, mister”

Hyukjae was about to pull the trigger when she hit the glock far from them. She smirked but her smirk didn’t last as he kicked the rod off her grip. He jumped towards her, hand forming fist straight aimed to her face. Boram dodged it and he fell onto the pile of steel. Hyukjae pushed himself up and lunged towards her once again. She kicked his right ankle that he fell onto the floor. Boram got on top of his back and pulled his arms back. He groaned in pain. Boram handcuffed him. She looked down to his ankle. Blood spilled beneath it.

-Flashback-

Boram stared at Hyukjae as she and Eunwoo were hiding. *Does he always walk weirdly like that?* She noticed his unbalance posture while walking with more weight on his left leg. *Right leg injured?*

-End of flashback-

“You better watch your mouth, Hyukjae-ssi” Boram glared down at him. “Putting someone down by hurting their emotional is the cruellest way to treat someone. Get it?”

The rusty door burst open once again. But this time revealing armed cops. Boram smirked and Mingyu approached.

“Boram, you okay?” he held her shoulders. “Yes of course” she nodded and paused. “Eunwoo? He’s okay right? The other members?” “Yah can you worry about yourself first?” he snorted. “They’re all safe”

“Officer Park” Captain Ahn joined them. “Sir” she saluted. He smiled and patted her shoulder. “You did it again. Good job!” “Thank you, sir” she bowed with a broad proud smile. “Now have a rest. Report to the station in two days” “Woah! You’re giving me a day off! Thank you, sir” “Yes. And don’t forget to write the report on what had happen” “Yes sir”

Hyukjae was arrested. Boram sighed in relief as they walked towards the exit. “You sure you’re alright, right?” Mingyu asked to reassure. “Yes of course”. He sighed and his eyes went to her injured arm. “I can’t believe you got hurt from saving those kids” “They’re not just kids. They’re idol that have a big dream. Same like any other citizen. And it’s our job to ensure their safety”

She stepped to the sunlight outside.

“Boram noona” Woojin ran towards her. “Woojini, you okay?” “Noona, I should be the one who ask you that” he looked into her eyes in worry. “Omo, our Woojini don’t cry” she ruffled him on his head. Mingyu watched them, arms crossed to his chest. He rolled his eyes. “Yah” he interrupted. Mingyu stared at Woojin. “So you’re Hajin?”

Boram and Woojin glanced at each other and laughed.

“I know you two are lying” Mingyu said. “Yes. I’m her cousin” Woojin held out his hand to him. “Park Woojin imnida”

“Officer Kim Mingyu” he shook his hand.

Boram lifted her head to the ambulance there. Eunwoo was about to board the ambulance when he saw her. They exchanged smiles. He waved at her and entered the ambulance. Boram chuckled as she realised she was blushing by a cute gesture from a younger male. *He deserve to be the visual of the group though*

Two days later, Boram was at the station. She stretched her exhausted body from bending to type the report in her laptop at her desk. She let out a frustrated sigh. Mingyu who sat across her lifted his head and smirked. “Chill, partner. You know everyone need to write report”

“You know I’m bad in writing right?” she complained and looked at a few sentences she had type for the past hour. “I give up! Let me just have some break” she took her phone. Her finger scrolled to the V live. A small smile appeared on her lips as she saw ASTRO was streaming live for their comeback showcase. She watched their live performance. *They’re just doing fine. That’s good*

“Wanna be your star! Hello, we are ASTRO!” ASTRO introduced themselves. Mingyu heard the name. “You’re a fan now, Boram?” he snickered. “Yeah” she smiled to herself. “I think I’ll be their noona fan from now on”