MISSION 07

The Chaser

 

                Boram pushed the door and they entered the fast food restaurant. After ordering and received their meals, the two settled at the table near the window.

“You didn’t tell Somi we’re here, right?” Boram asked. “I did. Why? Since she works just around here” “Aigo, Mingyu-yah. I have to treat her ice-cream if I meet her because I promised to the other day” “Great. I want too” “Sure. Pay on your own” she grinned.

 

 

                There a knock on the window beside Boram. She turned to find a hideous face of Somi staring at her. Boram jolted that she fell flat backward onto the long chair she was sitting. “What the!” she hissed. Mingyu burst into laughter and so did Somi. Somi joined them inside.

“Somi-yah!” Boram straightened her positon again. “You should see your face” Somi didn’t stop laughing. “No, Somi” Mingyu said between his laugh. He shoved his phone to her face. “You should look at your face”

                He took her ugly picture just now and had uploaded it to Instagram.

“Yah, Kim Mingyu! Delete it!” “Look you already have 10 likes” “Mingyu-yah!”

 

*I’m so lucky to have both of them in my life* Boram thought.   

*          *          *

                Mingyu looked up to the dark sky. The three of them were enjoying their ice-creams.

“I wonder why that road is blocked” Boram was looking straight ahead. The road was busy with cars cramped from three lane road into just two lane road.

“There’s a concert at the Lily Square tonight. TRAX will perform there” Somi answered. “Oh I never know. Won’t join the concert?” “Me? Nah. It’s not ASTRO”

                Somi lifted her head to see bus stop ahead of them. The bus was about to pull over.

“You sure you don’t want to ride with us?” Mingyu asked. “No it’s okay. You two were heading to the station right? I don’t want to burden you two” “Alright then. Be careful” “Sure”

“Don’t worry, Mingyu. Somi will be alright” Boram replied. “She knows karate. She can knock anyone down in seconds”

“In fact, Boram gave me this” Somi took out a pocket knife from her back.

“You girls carry those dangerous things around in your handbag?!” his eyes widened.

“No not just that. You can find almost anything in her bag” Boram jeered. “Yah, you’re a girl too” Somi replied.

               

                The two waved at Somi as she boarded the bus.

“That one friend of yours is weird” Mingyu voiced. Boram glanced at him. “Why does she likes public transport so much? She knows her father can even afford 5 sport cars all for her”

“Somi is not that type of person who take after their parent’s fortune. That’s why she’s working at his father’s company”

*          *          *

 “Last night incident at TRAX mini concert at Lily Square killed a sum of 20 youngsters who attended the concert. The identity of the victims is identified and family members started to claim the bodies this morning at Hospital of Cepheus. The cause of death of these youngsters were believed come from drinks they had consumed from the concert”

                Both Mingyu and Boram heaved a sigh as they listened to the news report through the radio in the car.

“We just pass by that area last night” Mingyu complained. “Tell me about it” she sighed. “Just now at the meeting room was harsh. Everyone was so shocked by the news. But we have too little clue to start from”

“Let’s just meet the other audience last night” he stated. “Then we can share our finding with the station ASAP. But this case is quite huge too”

                There was silence tick-tock between them as both busy thinking about the new case.

“We were near Lily Square last night, right?” she asked. He nodded “Yes. That’s what I said seconds ago”

“That means we may have bump into the culprit” “Maybe. But many people were there. How can we possibly find the culprit?”

*          *          *

                Boram pushed the car door shut as her eyes trailed to the apartment in front of them. They went into the lift. Mingyu glanced down to his phone to read the address as they walked through the hallway of level 8. “There” he pointed to a unit. Boram pressed the doorbell. The door was opened not long after that, revealing a female teenager.

“Miss Lee Soyul? You made the report about TRAX concert, right?” Mingyu asked. “Yes I did” the teenager, Soyul opened the door for them. “Come in”

                Boram and Mingyu entered the living room of the unit and the house was modestly decorated with modern style. Soyul went to the kitchen. “Make yourself comfortable”

“You’re home alone, Soyul-ssi?” Boram asked as she looked at the photos hung on the wall. “Nae. My parents went to the market for a while” Soyul answered. “They’ll be home later”

                Soyul joined the two.

“I’m Officer Kim Mingyu” Mingyu introduced himself. “I’m Officer Park Boram” Boram sat with them. “We’re from Cepheus Police Station”

“It’s nice to meet you, officer” Soyul replied.

“So you called telling you attend last night concert, right?” Boram started. “Nae” Soyul nodded. “I went there with my friends. But they arrived early and I joined them later since I finish my tutor late”

“May I know if you found anything strange during the concert?” he asked. “Strange?” “Yes. Maybe like seeing someone acting weirdly” “As far as I know, no. But maybe I can ask my friend. Wait” she went to her room and took her phone. She rang someone.

“Hello, Yebin----Can you come down for a while?---Yes the police need anyone who can help with the investigation----Alright thank you” she ended the call.

                Mingyu and Boram looked at her.

“My friend said she’ll come help. She’ll be here in a while” Soyul replied. “Your friend is coming?” Boram asked. “Yes. She lived upstairs. Since she went too last night. Maybe she saw something weird I didn’t”

“Thank you very much for your cooperation” Mingyu smiled. “Yes sure. I just hope the culprit is caught. It’s not nice to do that to people” Soyul stated. “Didn’t the culprit think about consequences? Or how the victims’ families will feel?”

“They’re some people who lived like that, Soyul-ssi. And these people might do bad things not because they want to. Maybe because that person was forced. It all depend on each person’s situation”

“Hello” Yebin entered the house and joined them.

 

 

 

“Did you see anyone one suspicious last night at the concert?” Mingyu began. “Well…” Yebin’s eyes trailed to Soyul. “Don’t you? The guy who gave out drinks for free?”

“Drink?” Soyul tried to recall. “No. Maybe because I got there late”

“Free drink?” Boram asked. “Yes. This one guy gave out free bottle drinks to the audiences”

“How does this guy look like? Can you describe his feature?” “He’s in his early 40, I guess. His skin is fair and he’s skinny. His hair is brown and a bit messy. Last night he wore a green shirt. Sorry but that’s all I can recall” “No that’s more than enough. Thank you” Boram turned to Mingyu. “I should contact Team 07 now”

“Excuse me” Boram excused herself and walked out.

“So this guy distributes free drinks?” Mingyu asked. “Nae” Yebin answered. “I received one too”

“You did?!” Soyul was surprised. “Yes. But I don’t drink it. Because it’s orange flavoured” Yebin replied. “You know I don’t like oranges”

“Do you by any chance still have the drink, Yebin-ssi?” Mingyu asked. “I threw it away this morning. But I think it’s still in the garbage can in my room. I’ll get it for you later” “Thank you very much”  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cameo Appearance

Soyul, Yebin (DIA)