MISSION 30

The Chaser

Boram was looking at her laptop. She was at her desk in the station.

“Boram-ah” Officer Sejong approached her. “Nae?” Boram turned to her. “It’s already late. Go home, will ya?” she smirked. “Nae. I will. Just a bit more” Boram replied with a smile. “I’m heading home then” “Alright be careful” “You too” Officer Sejong waved as she exited the room.

Boram ran her view around the room. She was the only one left. She went back to her laptop but then paused. She lifted her head to Mingyu’s desk. It was empty. Her eyes saddened. “It had been 2 years already” she sighed. Her hand went to shut down icon and turned off the laptop.

 

The next morning, Boram stepped into the station again. She took her place at the desk.

 

Boram propped her elbow on the desk and sighed. Her eyes went to the clock. “Almost afternoon” she sighed. “When will it be evening?”

“Officer Park” Officer Inseong came into the room. Boram lifted her head. “You have visitor” “Visitor?”

Boram ran out of the station. The sight of a guy made her stopped. “Woojin-ah”

“Here” he held out a paper bag to her. “What is this?” she took it. “Lunch” “Oh that’s so sweet of you” she looked into the content.

Woojin ran his view to the station. The old building looked brand new with new bright paint as well as new doors and windows. “This place looks amazing now”

“Nae. It all thanks to Dongseok-ssi. Please thank Moonbin for me” “Yea sure. About the group”

Boram turned to him.

“They’re starting their tour soon so they had been busy lately” “Aigo, you must be tired too” Boram massaged his shoulder. He chuckled. “Noona. I’m okay”

“And I’m sorry” he looked into her eyes. “I should have protected you too”

She knew he was referring to Somi. “Nah, you have no other choice at that time, right?” she held his shoulder. “I would do the same if I was in your place”

“Besides” she let go off him. “That’s all in the past”

Woojin sighed. “Anyway, we should hang out more”

“Of course. I should spend more time with my family” she slung her arm to his shoulder. Woojin smiled. “Don’t you want to look for your real family?”

She turned to him.

“No I mean” he cleared his throat. “I know my aunt and Haechan hyung had been giving you hard times for years. I thought maybe you want to look for your real family since they harass you a lot”

“Nah I don’t think I want to” she smiled. “I’m okay with my life now. I’m scared that if I meet my real family, they might not want me”

“Noona, you’re perfect. Your family wouldn’t hate you” “I already have my family” she glanced at the station. “And you”

He smiled. “Well, I need to go now”

“Nae” she patted his shoulder. “Say hello to them for me. Don’t work too hard”

“You too, noona” Woojin waved as he exited the station area.

* * *

Boram glanced at the clock. It was already evening. “Yes!” she took her coat and got up. “See you tomorrow, everyone”

“Woah!” Officer Yujin teased. “You’re off work early today”

“Half day, right?” she smirked.

“Of course, Yujin” Officer Inseong joined them. “She have a date, right?”

“You’re right” Boram smiled and waved. “See yall later”

* * *

Boram parked her car and entered the building that have the signboard ‘jail’ on it. She got out from her car and bent over to the side mirror. She fixed her hair and checked her make up. “I don’t look awful, right? I hope not” She fixed her dress. Boram made her way into the building. She entered the visiting room and sat there.

“Wait for a while, miss” one of the worker there greeted her. “Nae” she replied. “You’re looking pretty. Have a date” “Thanks”

Boram played with her finger as she was waiting. A steel door was opened that made her head shoot up. A broad smile was on her face. Yoongi sat across her and held out his hand to the glass that separated them. Boram smiled and held out her hand to his. “Hi”

“Hi, how are you?” Yoongi smiled.

“Good. Did your sister come?” “Yea a while ago with Kookie. I’m so lucky that I can rely on him”

They chat for couple of hours more.

“Don’t worry” he smiled. “I will get out of here next year and I’ll make sure to take you for a trip”

“Really? Just the two of us?” “Yah, what are you thinking?” he chuckled. “And then we can make future plan together”

“Now I have to make my life plan all over again” she pouted. “All because of you. In 4-year time, we have to get marry then we need to move to a new house”

“Woah you sure look far ahead” “Of course. I need to” she glanced at her watch. “I think I need to go now”

“You’re going to see Mingyu?” “Uhuh. It’s his birthday after all” “Alright. You have to visit him often so that he knows that I’m doing a good job in taking care of you”

Boram smiled and stood. Yoongi stood too and held out his hand. She touched his hand. The ring on her finger shone. He too wore the same silver ring. “See you later, Yoongi” “Alright. Say hello to Mingyu for me” “Nae” “Be careful” “Nae. I love you” Boram waved. Yoongi smiled wider but he cupped his lips, avoiding his smile to broaden more. She chuckled and exited the room.

* * *

Boram walked into the charnel house. A flower bouquet was in her grip. She entered the building and went to the upper floor. She stopped in front of a shelf. A smile formed as she stood in front of ‘Mingyu’.

“Hi, Mingyu” she put the bouquet. Her eyes went to his picture and the picture of the three of them including Somi. Tears blurred her vision. She swallowed the lump. She chuckled as she wiped her tears. “I shouldn’t cry, right? It’s your birthday. Sorry” She clapped her hand and started to whisper the birthday song. Tears slid down her face. Boram slid her hand into her pocket and took out a small figurine.

“Here” she placed it on the shelf. “I remember you said you want to buy this character figurine. And it kind of costly, you know. Why do you even like this pricey thing?” she chuckled. “But never mind. I got you one as a gift. You should be grateful to have a friend like me, right?”

She continued to stare at his picture for a moment and she lost in her thought.

“Yah, I need to go now” she ran his finger to his picture. “See you later. Happy birthday, Mingyu-yah” she stood there with a smile.

 

‘Mingyu’ wrapped his arm around her from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder.

* * *

Boram walked pass the shelf as she approached the exit. Her steps stopped as she saw something. She approached a shelf. The flower placed there was new as she noticed someone was there just now. There was a family picture that caught her attention. Her eyes widened. Boram ran out of the room. In the picture, was a picture of a family smiling. There were the parents, a son and another little girl. A familiar wound was on her arm.

 

A guy in corporate suit walked down the stairs. Boram saw him and caught up to him. “Excuse me, sir”

The guy stopped before exiting the main entrance. She stared at him in disbelieve. The older guy flashed a warm smile. “Hi, dongsaeng”

 

End: 21st July 2017 (8:11 a.m.)