Till There Was You

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Nam Ji Hyun waited for what felt like long minutes, but the man before her stayed oddly silent. She was about ready to ask him if he needed anything, when another bright flash of colour streaked by and her head turned to follow the movement. 

She smiles when she realizes what it is. Another Fairy Pitta had joined the first. Perhaps it was a female. The little creatures, which old-timers called 'eight-coloured birds', are one of the few species where the males and females both have bright, colourful plumage.
 

When she was a young girl, it had seemed particularly unfair to JiHyun that nature would often give the males of a species the colours and leave the females muted and brown. The tiny Fairy Pittas with their bright colours had caught her imagination when she realized they were one of the few exceptions. Perhaps the females had demanded with the Gods that they get their fair share of plumage. 

Without her noticing it, JiHyun was slowly walking towards their tree using soft soundless steps. A hand touches her wrist, and she looks back, surprised to have realized she almost forgot the man behind her. His eyes look questioningly at her.

"Come," she whispers then points out the tree where the birds were currently preening. He doens't quite seem to catch her meaning so she pulls him closer.

 "See," she adds excitedly "those birds up there are Fairy Pittas; with the bright colors. And I do believe they may have a nest right nearby." During hatching season, the birds would not wander far from their nests.

Sure enough, one of the tiny birds swooped down to a dense foliaged area not far from where they stood and the other one followed shortly after. The little pittas created nests near the forest floor, tucking them in between rocks or weaving them within dense piles of leaves.

JiHyun scans the area before them and soon spies the little house of grass and twigs with it's round entrance. She pulls her guest along, gesturing sliently at where the n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter