Hey Jude

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ji Chang Wook's first stop is to an internet cafe. He heads to the main streets of the city looking for the familiar sign and soon finds himself in the dark confines of a PC Bang. He grabs an empty computer station, logs on and opens a browser.

 

First order of business, he needed to figure out how to get  phone and internet connectivity while out in the remote areas. Even though he was lucky enough to be able to take as much time off as he needed; he knew he still had to keep in touch with the rest of the world. His Omma especially would not let him hear the end of it if he disappeared without a word for days. A quick search leads him to satellite phone options that  provide both call and data service. He writes down some quick notes to give to his manager who will have to help him make the arrangements.

 

Next, he searches for hotels. He doesn't know if the guest house would be available for the duration he planned to stay but he wanted to be prepared, just in case. There wasn't anything in the immediate area of JiHyun's village but he found one not far from Hallasan National Park which would be a little closer. He went ahead and booked a room for the next week.

 

He had a little bit of time still, so he searches for articles on early-onset dementia. The results he finds both scares and relieves him. The good news was that JiHyun's Aunt didn’t seem to fall in the category of patients who had a severe case. He hopes that means they still have a lot of options.
 

The rest of the news however is not pretty. Dementia. No known cure, no definite timeline. It could remain a mild case, or brain cell loss could happen rapidly. He imagined it  would be hard no matter what to have this hanging over your head. He could not picture waking up one day and not having his memories or not being able to recognize the people he loved. Perhaps it was worse if you were the loved one having to watch it happen. 

He remembers the sadness in JiHyun's eyes and quickly logs off and heads out. He didn't know what specifically he was going to do or if there was anything he could actually do to help. But he knew, he could not walk away -- no matter what. Whether JiHyun and her Aunt wanted him there or not he was going to do his best to be there. Because there was no way he could get on a plane and pretend that all of this had not happened. That they didn't exist.
 

That he hadn't fallen in love.

It hits him all of a sudden. Love. He had fallen in love with this woman.

In a matter of days her presence had wrapped itself around his heart and he couldn't imagine living in a world where she did not exist. Perhaps people were right when they talked about Fate. If not for a sudden whim, he would not have come to her quiet village. He would never have known that in this wide universe there was a girl as beautiful and wonderful as her.

And right now, she is hurting and he wants to do whatever he can to help her.
 

As he walks to th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter