Can't Buy Me Love

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nam Ji Hyun peddles furiously up the hill, her mind still mad over the rude mainlander from earlier.

These, these… tourists!   She silently fumes. Coming over as if they own the place just because they spend money here.

It was a little unfair of her, especially since Jeju-do's economy did depend on tourist dollars. In fact her and her Aunt's own livelihood depended on having visitors come over to take in the beautiful scenery of the island.

Jeju island was reknown for it’s natural wonders. The gorgeous beaches, ancient volcano, exotic birds and wild horses. It was a playground for nature lovers and, despite it’s popularity, there were many hidden spots where one could get away from it all. Like her own sleepy village.

But still, doesn't give someone the right to be obnoxious, she fumes some more.

Luckily for JiHyun, she was none the worse for wear after her little tumble earlier. A little muddy and a lot mad; but her bike, self and groceries had more or less survived intact.

She parks her bike and carries the groceries in, scowling once more as she sees their dirt-stained, crumpled condition. She tucks the hemorrhoid cream away in the cabinet. It was for her Aunt, if you must know. But she refuses to feel embarassed. Thanks to him, she might have to make another trip because some of the packages were a little too grubby to be provided to their guest. 

Speaking of said guest, she glances at her clock and hurriedly changes. JiHyun has a lot of cleaning to do if she wants to have things ready for tomorrow. Especially if she needs to make another trip to town. She ties her hair back, pulls on an apron and slips on rubber gloves.

Then, with a determined look, a broom and a bucket of supplies, she marches over to the guest house and starts cleaning. She takes out her annoyance  on the hapless dust balls, curtains and floor and soon feels a lot better. 

This house would be the cleanest, most shiniest place the guest would ever have the pleasure of staying in by the time she was done with it.

 

 

 

 

The path is a little bumpy as Ji Chang Wook rides his scooter up the hill. But he’s pleased to see the pretty village roads and lush fields  along the way. He marvels at the wide expanse of greenness and the sweet smell of some type of flower in the air. This was a different side to Jeju than what he was used to, and he was enjoying it's crisp beauty.

Chang Wook sees a traditional jeongnang gate up ahead and stops to check his map. It was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter