Good Day Sunshine

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ji Chang Wook woke the next morning, smiling happily to himself. Sunlight streamed in through the windows and he stretched widely, basking in the beauty of this fresh new day. And what a beautiful day.

He remembers the feeling of holding JiHyun in his arms and kissing her goodnight last night. It had taken several good night kisses before he let her slip back into her cottage; but, not long after, he himself had fallen into bed exhausted. He smiles happily as he remembers her confession and sweet blushes from the night before.

As if on queue, he hears a sound coming from the kitchen outside. She was here! He hops out of bed, not wanting to waste another moment and heads out with a wide grin on his face.

The smile falters a little as he sees it's his other landlady; but when she turns to him with a goodnatured greeting, he can't help but smile back.

"Oh, you're up Chang Wook. Good morning!" She reaches over to the tray she had waiting on the table, "Both you and my niece must have been exhausted. She's still fast asleep, poor thing -- I didn't have the heart to wake her up. Not much of a drinker, our JiHyun," her Aunt winks.

She  sets up a bowl and some side dishes on the table and waves him over.

"Come, sit down my dear. I have the abalone porridge ready; but between you and me, if you ever want cereal or Oreo O's instead, I won't tell."

Chang Wook murmurs assurances that he loved the jeonbukjuk. In fact it was one of the things he looked forward to every morning. He demonstrates the fact by digging in enthusiastically and his landlady beams with approval as she seats herself opposite him.

"There's nothing quite like the food we have here on Jeju-do," she notes with pride, "Everything can be gotten fresh, whether from the farms or the oceans. It's one of the reasons I decided to stay here with JiHyun," her Aunt smiles nostalgically, "the peace and quiet and the beautiful nature here seemed a good place to raise a child. But sometimes..." her gaze wanders off to the scenery outside the windows,  "...sometimes I wondered."
 

She pauses for a long moment, lost in her thoughts. Soon, she continues.
 

"I was always so cautious with her. I never let her eat all that fun junk food the other little kids ate. I didn't bother with a TV. I kept her here with me in this quiet little village because, well, I didn't want anything to happen to my sister's precious daughter."

Her voice seems a little shaky and Chang Wook can't help but notice a slight shimmer of tears in her eyes. His heart goes out to her. Perhaps all parents had such doubts.

"Ahjumoni," he says, his voice sincere, "JiHyun is on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter