While My Guitar Weeps

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nam Ji Hyun sat near the phone, her mind still going over her conversation with Chang Wook-oppa. Her heart hurt for him. He had sounded distracted and very tired. She notes with guilt that because of her, his whole world had been upended.

If telling a lie would make his life easier, she would understand. Maybe she was being naive thinking they could face down the scandal and any of the media. What did she know anyway? It's easy to have ideals when you're not the one caught in the fallout or risking your career.

She remembers how weary Chang Wook-oppa had sounded and her heart aches again.

Maybe she should have gone to Seoul with him. Even if she couldn't change anything, at least she could be there and let him know he wasn't alone. When she herself had been at her lowest point and needed someone by her side, he had stayed. But here she was hiding while he was far away left to deal with everything by himself

She gets up, feeling a burst of resolve. The answer was obvious: she needed to go to him. She doesn't know anything about the showbiz industry or the media or what is the right or wrong answer. But what JiHyun does know is that she had promised to stand by him and be by his side.
 

She heads to her room and starts pulling out some clothes. JiHyun isn't sure how long she would be gone or what she would need, but she'll just pack light for now. Her thoughts turn to her Aunt and her hands falter for a second. She wouldn't be gone too long. Imo would be ok, wouldn't she? If it was just for a little bit? She keeps on packing determinedly though her heart feels torn. They would figure something out.

She is in her room zipping up the bag when she hears the loud crunch of the gravel in the driveway. Was Imo back already? JiHyun's Aunt had gone with a neighbour to watch a shaman ritual a few villages over. It was an age-old and dying island tradition to bless new babies with offerings to the old Gods and Goddesses and her Aunt never missed the chance to see one if she could help it. But they had only just left. Perhap Auntie had forgotten something.

 JiHyun steps out into the main hall and looks out the window but she doesn't recognize the black car parked outside. Was it possible Imo had rented out the guesthouse and forgot to tell her?

She opens the door to greet the visitors and sees two men step out of the vehicle. They're dressed pretty casually but something about them seems not quite right. They don't look like the backpackers who usually come their way. The shoes are a little too shiny for any roughing outdoors and the way they are looking at her place and at her is a little too intent.  A tingle runs down JiHyun's spine as her instincts put her on alert. 

She casually grabs the broom near the door and smiles at them. 

"Hello," she greets, "Can I help you?"

"We 're here to rent your guesthouse," The  taller of the two speaks. She notices he has a Seoul accent.

"I'm sorry," she replies, not feeling sorry at all, "We don't take walk-in reversations. The house is not ready. If you leave me your information I can call you to let you know when it will be available"

"It doesn't look like anyone is using it right now."

The other man steps closer and JiHyun's grip on her broom tightens by a fraction. She couldn't pin down why, but her heart was racing and her instincts told her she had to be careful. There were two men and one of her.  She might be able to hold them off for a short time, but then what? There was no one else nearby and the closest neighbour was a mile away.

If she could take them down for a little bit she would be able to get away on her bike. But, if they got back in their car, they would quickly overtake her. Or she could try to barricade herself inside and call the police; though the closest police station was far away and on the small, windy roads it would take them some time to respond. 

Her mind races over all sorts of possibilities, until she finally tells it to stop. For all she knows, perhaps they are just last-minute hikers looking for a place to stay.

"Well, the cottage hasn't been prepared yet, " she replies, sounding calm even to her ears, "but, you can go take a look at it." This might buy her some time or give her a chance to slip away.

She still didn't know why she was being so paranoid. Maybe this whole worry about paparazzi and media was making her jump at every shadow. Could they be from the tabloids, she wonders? How did they even find her so quickly?
 

She gestures to the path that lead to the little cottage and waits for them to proceed before following behind. JiHyun casually asks them where they are from and how long they would be staying in Jeju but the men's answers are short making her even more suspicious.

Once they reach the guest cottage, she quickly steps past them and unlocks the the door, making sure she did not have her back turned to them too long. She pastes a wide smile on her face and invites them in, but only one of them steps inside. The other stays on the patio, looking at the view of the trees and the mountain far away.

"Pretty place," he says briefly. The way he stands there makes her nervous.

"The tea fields here are quite famous," she plays along, "The hiking trails are popular too. Are you here for some hiking?"

"Yeah," he doesn't elaborate, "You get a lot of guests?"
 

"Quite a bit," She answers cautiously. The faint sound of the phone ringing at the main house makes her almost sigh with relief.

"I have to get that," she says, trying to step around the man, but he doesn't move.

She looks up at him with alarm.

 

 

---------

 

 

The phone rings and rings then kicks to voicemail. Chang Wook feels almost wild with panic. He had just spoken with JiHyun. She had just been there. Why wasn't she picking up?

He imagines her scared or afraid. Or hurt. Or...

He didn't want to think about that last option. JiHyun had to be ok. If anything happened to her, he'd never be able to forgive himself.


"Sign the papers," the CEO repeats, "Otherwise...." the threat hangs in the air.
 

"You sick bastard!" Chang Wook spits out with murder and rage in his eyes, "There is no way in hell you can get away with this!"

"Maybe," The other man says calmly, "But it would be too late for her to find out, wouldn't it?"

Chang Wook looks at the man in front of him and the dead seriousness on the CEO's face chills him to the bone. It's at that very moment he realizes the other man would stop at n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter