Chains

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"It's for your own good."

Ji Chang Wook can't believe what he's hearing. As soon as they had wrapped up the TV commercial he had called the agency office and demanded to speak with the CEO. But the secretary said he was in a middle of a call.  And so Chang Wook had sprinted to his car and sped over to confront the man directly.

Manager Bang Chi Gu had followed along silently. He claimed he hadn't known that the CEO would do this; but Chang Wook was still mad at him too. His friend hadn't seemed too surprised or upset about how things had played out.


As soon as they arrived at the agency building Chang Wook had rode the elevators to the top floor and pushed his way through to the CEO's office, ignoring the secretary's frantic efforts to stop him. The CEO had been on the phone but at the intrusion, he finished up his call before looking up at Chang Wook calmly. 

"What the HELL!?" Chang Wook feels almost burning with rage. "Who are you to decide what is or isn't for my own good? We had a clear agreement. You lied to me."

The CEO sighs and stands up. His voice is even but his words pointed.

"Chang Wook, when you and I started, we had nothing. But together we built something. All of this, the building, the studio, the talent we're nurturing now; it's all the fruit of our hard work -- together."

"I need you to think about this more. Do you really want to throw away everything you've  built so far? I'm not saying you can't fall in love or date. You know I've never stopped you from having a personal life or any woman you wanted. But you know the rule. Keep that hidden. The minute you stop becoming the fan's fantasy, that's when you're dead to them."

The CEO grabs a pile of folders on his desk. 

"You see these? These are offers for you to work in China. There are twenty-three offers. Twenty-three!! They don't care that you can't speak a single word of their language. What they want is you. The fans there want you. But those fans, when they find out you're dating, they'll wonder why they should waste their effort and love on someone who won't love them back the same way. Who's busy with another woman."

CEO Jung looks at the young man in front of him. He doesn't understand why it's so hard for Chang Wook to get it. He doesn't think he's being unreasonable. After all, this was how the game was played in their industry. People had their private lives where they could do what they wanted. And then they had their public lives that they showed to fans. It didn't have to be complicated.

But to throw it all away, just when he was this close to making it big? That was what didn't make sense. He had to make Chang Wook see reason. 

"If your woman truly loves you," he continues calmly, "She would understand. After all, most celebrities lie about their dating status. It's not something anyone else needs to know about."


The agency boss looks at him, his face a little bit more flushed now; though his voice is still in that same even tone.
 

"You have so much potential, we haven't even scratched the possibilities. China, Japan... even Hollywood. Think about the projects you could get; the top directors and actors you could work with."

Chang Wook looks at him with frustration, "You don't get it," he says, "it's never been about the money or the projects or the fame. I don't need to go to China to find success. And I don't understand why something that most people will shout about from the rooftops is something I have to hide. You're underestimating the fans. You're underestimating me."

"How about the sponsors?" The CEO demands, "The ones who've already paid you money to advertise their makeup line, skin care and watches? They signed up for it-actor Ji Chang Wook. The minute your star falls, they'll ditch you in a hot second. You don't think there aren't tens of other young actors lining up to be the next Jo In Sung or Kim Soo Hyun?"

"Listen, those boys out there they're talented, they're good-looking, they're hungry. This industry doesn't care about almosts or has-beens or nobodies and neither do fans. And if you bail on me now, if you walk away just when you're about to break to that top tier; then you will become a has-been."

His CEO's harsh words take Chang Wook aback. All this while he had thought they were friends. They had built a partnership forged from their early days when it had been just the two of them scrounging around for any opportunity, any audition or role for Chang Wook.

Chang Wook ignores the pain of this betrayal and hardens his heart. It appears there was nothing left to be said. There was no point continuing this discussion  and at this point, he's pretty sure he can never trust his so-called friend again. Evidently all this time he had been nothing more than a dollar sign.

He turns to walk out, not sure what he was going to do next but whatever it was it would be better than staying here to listen to this hideousness.

"Actually I wouldn't do that if I were you." The words are uttered with soft deadliness, "If you're thinking about revealing your relationship or running off I wouldn't advise it. For one, you're still under contract and any work you do has to legally go through this agency. And, for two..."

The CEO looks at Manager Bang who had been standing there awkwardly as the two men argued. Bang Chi Gu sees the CEO looking at him, but is not sure at first what the other man wants. But as the CEO gestures towards the door, he gets the point. He gives Chang Wook one last apologetic look and leaves.

Now only Chang Wook and the CEO remain in the room. The other man walks back around to his desk and unlocks a little safe. He pulls out a thick folder and lays it on the table.

"There's a little something I should share with you."

He flips the folder open and at first all Chang Wook sees are what look like financial papers or ledgers. Lots of numbers, and contracts. Against his better judgement, he comes closer to look and suddenly he sees something familiar. It's his home address. He grabs that piece of paper and sees the title: "Line of Mortgage". His mortgage?

He picks up a few others. There were buildings he owned, joint ventures in his friends' companies, different investments. All laid out in this folder. But the name on all of these was not his. It was the CEO's. His heart plunges. Had the betrayal gone even deeper and longer than he thought?

"I don't think I have to explain it to you, but everything you own actually belongs to me" the other man states calmly.

"That doesn't make any sense," Chang Wook stares at the words printed in disbelief, "I earned that money, I paid for all of this."

"It turned out t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter