Love Me Do

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Despite the early dawn hour, the fish market next to the harbor was already bustling with activity. Vendors shouted out their catches of the day and their customers shrewdly haggled over prices and wares. The little market was no where as large as the nearby Seogwipo Maeil Olle, but it opened earlier and the seafood here was fresher, some literally being pulled off the boats under the watchful eyes of the sea captains.
 

The more popular and larger market closer to the town's center would have been a better option for a tourist; after all it had a wider variety of goods and food. But this little outdoor market opened much earlier and the locals knew to come here for the freshest fish.
 

Nam Ji Hyun pulled her little shopping trolly behind her as her guest trailed along dodging people and puddles.  She had been coming to this market since she was a little wee thing and  a few  familiar faces called out to her behind the stalls. She nodded and waved but her first stop was to a little corner near the back, close to the pier. Her favorite Fisherman-Ahjusshi was there unloading some crates and he smiled to see her.

"JiHyuni! Morning! Where's that beautiful Aunt of yours?" the Ahjusshi had had a long time crush on her aunt and he always made sure JiHyun had the choicest pick of items.

"Imo is doing well," JiHyun replies, "She wanted me to ask you if you're going to the next council meeting."
 

The local city council had another hearing scheduled for the proposed golf course and a battle was brewing between those who wanted the tourists and jobs it would bring and those who did not want to see even more of the forests and lands cleared off for resorts. Her Aunt was undeniably on the side of conservation but the topic was a tricky one even amongst locals. After all there were not a lot of jobs in Seogwipo outside the tourist industry and young people had been moving away in droves.

"I wouldn't miss it" the Ahjusshi grins, "Anyway, who is this with you? Your new boyfriend?" he looks over the handsome stranger next to her and JiHyun fights the blush that wants to appear despite Ahjusshi's knowing look.

Before JiHyun can respond an arm is slung around her shoulders and all of a sudden she is pulled close to a firm, hard chest. She almost loses her balance but reacts instinctively, twisting the wrist hard until the offender lets go.

"Ahh...ah..! Noona.. Ouch, that hurts!" the man next to her cringes in pain until she lets up.

Of course... it's him. She rolls her eyes and lets go. The younger man next to her straightens up, puffing out his chest as he glares at the newcomer.

"I'm Joo In Guk, JiHyun-ie's boyfriend."

 

-----

 

Ji Chang Wook had been watching with amusement, laughing at first when he had been called the boyfriend and smiled to see JiHyun blush. He was not feeling amused now though as he looked at the other man who was standing way too close to her. For some reason, he had not thought she had a boyfriend. But, she was so pretty... of course the local boys would have made a move.
 

He looks the other man up and down and thinks I can take him down, easy. Despite the Jeju man's beefy arms and wide chest.

Their little standoff is interrupted when JiHyun smacks the younger man on the head.

"Yah, In Guk! First of all, I'm older, a Noona! Noo-na. So, don't use my name, you punk. Second of all I told you, we are not an item,"  In Guk was Ahjusshi's nephew and she had known him forever ago.  Recently however he had been making a nusiance of himself calling her his girlfriend. Despite her telling him never. Not going to happen. Not even in his dreams. She had known him too long and she was well aware of the string of girls he'd been through. Just, no.


She punches his shoulder again for emphasis.


"Ouch! That hurts, Noona"

JiHyun turns to the Ahjusshi ignoring the pouting man who was rubbing his shoulders next to her. 

"Ahjusshi, this is Ji Chang Wook-shi. He's our guest at the cottage this week," Chang Wook nods politely in greeting at the older man and is given a searching glance in return.

Joo In guk takes this as his cue to stake his claim even more. He steps up between JiHyun and Chang Wook and looks the other man up and down.

"You look real familiar. Been here before?"
 

"Nope"

"You have that city boy look about you. Like one of them idol boys. With the pretty hair and makeup. You one of those?" In Guk accompanies this with a smirk, but it doesn't faze Chang Wook.

"Nope, not an idol"
 

The other man is disappointed not to get more of a rise out of the insult intended but he's not about to let up.

"Well, I don't trust pretty boys. Especially the kind travelling alone. If you're up to no good staying up there with those two helpless women, I'm going to... Oww!!"

In Guk's little tirade is interrupted by his foot being stomped roughly by one of the "helpless women" in question.

"What's gotten in to you?!" she glares, "Chang Wook-shi is going to think Jeju people have no manners," her hand is posed ready to give him another smack on the head.

However, before she can give him what for, his uncle ste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter