I Want to Hold Your Hand

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Ji Chang Wook breathed in the fresh night air and blew out a deep, long sigh.  Today was the third day of his getaway and he was sitting outside on the guesthouse porch, listening to the crickets late at night. He had spent most of the day out on his scooter, and went for a long walk on the beach. He had eaten seafood ramen at his favorite stall at the fish market; and watched the seagulls ride the wind.

All the usual things he enjoyed doing at Jeju. 

But, he was bored.

Being alone could be tiresome.

 

After another full day with only his own company, he'd come back to the guest house for dinner; hoping to catch some conversation with his hosts. To his slight disappointment, the pretty younger one was not around; but he was grateful to see a delicious meal of Okdomgui grilled sea bream waiting for him. Ahjumoni Landlady served it out on the cottage's wooden porch and sat down with him. They chatted about his day and the dishes he enjoyed.  But what Chang Wook truly wanted to know was where Ji Hyun has disappeared to.


He wondered if she was avoiding him. Since that first misunderstanding his young landlady had been pleasant and polite. Too pleasant and polite. Always smiling and bowing. But she had dashed away quickly after bringing him dinner that first night and his other landlady had brought him breakfast this morning. He didn't know why, but he felt anxious to see her again.
 

Ji Hyun's Aunt watched on with delight as her guest devoured the meal. It was a pleasant evening to enjoy the outdoors; what more when there was a strapping young man to keep her company instead of those old fogies in the village. The sun was slowly setting, casting shadows from the mountains nearby and the many varied songbirds were fussing, settling down for the night in the trees nearby.

She noticed how he kept glancing around and she smiled.
 

"Ji Hyun is probably on one of her walks right now." 

He pauses. "Where does she go?"

Ji Hyun's Aunt smiled even wider, noticing he had not denied he had been looking for her niece.

"Here and there," she replies. "There are some pretty trails in the woods and she likes to walk them as she sorts out her thoughts. She's a writer, our Ji Hyun. Hasn't published anything of course; but that shouldn't stop one, should it?"
 

Landlady-Ahjumoni looks at Chang Wook expectantly and he quickly nods.

A writer. Ji Chang Wook looks at the deep forest nearby and can't help noticing that it would be getting dark soon. The village did not have streetlights and there were hardly any other houses around.

"Is it alright? Her roaming alone at night, I mean?" he asks, not able to hide the worry in his voice.

Her Aunt just laughs. "Ji Hyun has been walking these hills since she was a tiny little thing. It's just a small village here you see; so there's nothing to worry about,"

At his skeptical look, she grinned even further "Did I tell you she's a fourth degree black belt? Learned Taekwondo from Master Cho who retired here many years ago. She may look tiny but she's plenty strong."

Chang Wook felt a twinge in his shoulder as he remembers the way Ji Hyun had flipped him over earlier. Yes, he could believe it.

"There's a saying we have here in Jeju-do," her Aunt continued. "Have a baby girl and we'll throw a pork barbecue; have a baby boy and we'll kick his ".

She laughs uproariously at this, and slaps the table hard. Chang Wook laughs along too but silently makes a note to never mess with a Jeju-do lady. While the men spent weeks at sea on their fishing boats, the women here had to feed their families.  For centuries they tended farms and dived for seafood; plunging the depths long before diving equipment was invented. This had made them a sea-hardened, tough breed of women.

He and Landlady-Ahjumoni chatted a little bit more about his work (though the aunt didn't seem at all impressed when he said he was an actor); the best places to eat in Jeju and other simple things. Dinner ended amicably and Chang Wook was left to enjoy the peace of the night.
 

All alone.

After what seems like an endless amount of time (but was probably half an hour) he notices a movement near the gates. A flashlight shines a path to the larger cottage and  he smiles to see the very person he was hoping to speak to. She looks deep in thought, her movements silent as she steps over the jeongnang gates and walks across the front yard.

"Ji Hyun-shi," he calls.  She lets out a little shriek.
 

"Sorry, just being sociable," he grins. "Had a good walk?"
 

"Yes, thank you," her gaze skitters away,"Now, if you'll excuse me," she tries to hu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter