I : VI

Want You Back

Double update :D 


PART ONE
"I  R E G R E T  Y O U"
I : VI

Baekhyun didn't know how it happened.

After their skateboard date, they had managed to go on two other dates, in the space of three weeks.

Before they had even realized it, it was their two month anniversary, and Baekhyun's friend group wasn't liking the look of things.

"Hey, Baekhyun," Minseok called, saying his name as if it were some being he found in a pile of dust behind his door.

"Hey," Baekhyun replied as he set his bag down, sitting down at their lunch table.

Chanyeol had a test during lunch that day, so Baekhyun ditched what had become routine (sitting with Chanyeol and drawing the stupidest pictures,) settling instead to sit with his friends like the old days.

Though, it seemed as if the three of them were opposed to this idea.

"Not sitting with Chanyeol?" Jongdae asked, seemingly taunting him.

Baekhyun shrugged. They were always like this to each other, or at least, he thinks so.

"He's busy today," Baekhyun explained and Junmyeon laughed.

These days, Baekhyun felt that all they ever talked about was Chanyeol, and if he didn't have any common sense, he would guess that they all liked him.

But of course, Minseok and Jongdae had even told him themselves that Chanyeol was just a nobody at this school that Baekhyun could use to his advantages. Which is why those thoughts were completely brushed away.

"Hey, don't you think that maybe... You've been hanging out with him too much?" Jongdae suddenly said, and Baekhyun looked up from his lunch, trying to make it seem like he didn't care about those words whatsoever.

"Why would you say that?" Baekhyun questioned, taking a moderate bite out of his favourite type of apple.

Ever since Chanyeol had found Baekhyun at Walmart, he had been going there more, and he now had complete control over what he could eat for lunch. It was quite a nice addition to Chanyeol's other services (giving him dating experience).

"Don't boyfriends hang around each other a lot?" the ravenette added as an afterthought, and he didn't miss the obvious look Jongdae gave to Minseok, something that seemed like "did he really just say that?"

Jongdae laughed as if he had figured something out, leaning forward and eyeing Baekhyun with amusement and malice. "I didn't know that you now called him your boyfriend, Baekhyun," he paused, pursing his lips in thought—as if he didn't already have a huge scheming plot in his brain—and turned to Minseok. "If Baekhyun was really just dating Chanyeol for Sehun, don't you think he'd give Chanyeol a nickname like 'Big Ears' or something?"

"Don't—"

Baekhyun stopped as he realized what he was just about to do.

He was just about to defend Chanyeol, for something as small as Jongdae calling him "Big Ears".

What the hell?

Was he really letting Chanyeol crawl under his skin like this?

Jongdae had obviously noticed the little slip up that Baekhyun had, his already curved lips forming a smirk.

"What's this? Do you actually like Park Chanyeol?" Minseok asked, obviously just as interested as Jongdae in this conversation.

"Yes, so what?—" is what Baekhyun wanted to say, but he found himself tongue tied.

, he felt so stupid.

"No," Baekhyun declared, going back to eating his lunch as if things were completely normal. "I don't like Chanyeol. I don't think I ever will. So let's stop playing these games and talk about some real problems, shall we?"

As Jongdae and Minseok groaned, obviously annoyed at the change of subject, Baekhyun clenched his jaw, wondering why he always did things he regretted.

Maybe Chanyeol had actually managed to get some type of feelings from Baekhyun—whatever they were, he had no idea—and maybe Chanyeol had actually managed to implant himself into his brain, but Baekhyun couldn't accept that.

For fear of returning to the days in his past, he had done what he did best.

Denying.

~

He tried not to hear it.

"Baek?"

Wow, what an interesting book.

"Byun Baekhyun."

He finally looked up from the Emerald Knights, aka the most boring book he'd ever read, and found his boyfriend staring at him, looking as if his cookie had been stolen from him.

"Hi Chanyeol," Baekhyun greeted, trying not to let Jongdae's words from yesterday enter his brain.

After that lunch time, Baekhyun had skipped out on whatever plans they had that afternoon, settling with taking a long sleep that lasted until the next day. Yes, his sleeping patterns were .

"Do you wanna go out?" the taller asked as he plopped down in the spot beside Baekhyun, his arm casually landing on the backrest, his hand nearly touching Baekhyun's shoulder.

The black-haired male wondered why he noticed the smallest of details around the other.

"Where?" Baekhyun asked, wanting to put this off for as long as he could—until he could, maybe, sort some things out in his mind.

"I was thinking just a walk on the bridge, the one near my house."

"But that's so far," Baekhyun complained, actually meaning it when he said he didn't want to go. Walking was such a chore, and mostly when mosquitos were reigning this time of the year.

"We'll drive to the bridge first, and then just walk across it once or twice, sound good?" Chanyeol questioned and Baekhyun scrunched up his face, thinking about his words. "I felt like we both needed thinking time."

Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol, who was staring at something ahead of them, and realized that maybe Chanyeol was having problems of his own, too.

"Sure. Should we go now?"

Chanyeol nodded, turning to Baekhyun with a smile and making the smaller's face heat up ever so discretely.

He bit his lip, wondering when his reactions had every been this obvious, closing his book in a haste as he stood up. "So what are you waiting for?" he questioned as he shoved his things into his backpack, quickly swinging it onto his back.

"Nothing," Chanyeol answered and when Baekhyun was about to take his leave, Chanyeol grabbed his wrist, using Baekhyun's arm to pull himself up from the chair.

Baekhyun yelped and had to plant his foot to keep from falling down, scowling at Chanyeol when they were both standing upright.

"I am not supposed to take care of your old ," Baekhyun stated as he pulled his backpack up higher, glaring at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol chuckled, running his fingers through Baekhyun's hair affectionately and making the smaller's heart hiccup.

"G–Get your ferret feeling hands away from my hair," Baekhyun grumbled, smoothing down his hair even when Chanyeol had done nothing to ruin it.

The owner of the so-called "ferret feeling hands" only laughed even more, following Baekhyun as he stomped away childishly, making his way to Chanyeol's car.

Chanyeol's car was impressive to somebody who claimed to be from a poor family, because Mercedes was never associated with the word cheap.

He said that he got it online from some kid who didn't know what they were doing with life, but Baekhyun found it hard to believe when the thing was near goddamn perfect. He slipped into Chanyeol's car and shoved his backpack in the feet space, kicking off his shoes and buckling himself in. When he was ready, sitting nearly cross-legged, Chanyeol finally started driving.

"One day I'm going to crash this car, and one day, your death will be because I never stopped you from sitting like this," Chanyeol pointed out and Baekhyun snorted, placing his elbow on the small ledge on the car door, staring out the window with his chin in his hand.

One day, huh?

The ride to the bridge was silent, and it was obvious that Chanyeol was right. They both needed to do some thinking.

Perhaps Chanyeol was thinking about something terrible, like a close relative dying, or he was thinking about which ice cream to eat with Baekhyun next.

The smaller didn't have an inkling of what was in Chanyeol's mind, but he didn't need to think about it for long because his own thoughts swept him up.

When they finally arrived, the clouds had accumulated and the wind was a little more than a light breeze, making it look as if it would rain any second. The sun was now in hiding along with the sky, and even though it should be gloomy and gray, it somehow managed to look nice outside.

Baekhyun unbuckled himself and made his way out before Chanyeol had even cut the engine, breathing in the fresh air.

Chanyeol was beside Baekhyun in the next second, and they were climbing the stairs onto the wooden pedestrian walkway. The bridge was originally for a train, but the people had added a walkway just because... well, why would Baekhyun know anyway.

Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol's hand like it was a habit, lacing their fingers together once they had a full view of the river. Baekhyun let out a deep breath, staring at the little streak where the clouds couldn't cover, making it look like someone had accidentally spilled yellow paint onto a blank page.

They began walking, saying nothing as they basked in the nice wind and the view.

This was a better idea than Baekhyun had thought.

The moment they reached the middle of the bridge, Chanyeol stopped, leaning against the wooden banister as he stared down at the animated water.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and he suddenly had thoughts about everything they had done with each other in the past month, and he wondered when it would be enough.

He wondered when he would finally stop whatever was going on between them, and he wondered why he felt a part of himself rejecting the thought of never seeing Chanyeol again—never seeing the way he talked about the things he was passionate about, never seeing the way he greeted people at Walmart when he knew Baekhyun was watching, never seeing the way he made Baekhyun's coffee just the way he liked it and oh god, why did Baekhyun suddenly feel like he was drowning?

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol; watched how the wind blew his hair out of his face and made him look like a lion; watched how Chanyeol's lips curled when he spotted pelicans—and watched how he turned to look at Baekhyun too.

He saw that look in Chanyeol's eyes, and he wondered...

Did he have that look in his eyes too?

And suddenly, he wasn't staring at Chanyeol anymore.

His eyes automatically slipped close when he felt Chanyeol's touch on the back of his neck, and the moment he leaned in, he was pressing his lips against Chanyeol's.

They had met each other in the middle and Baekhyun's arms had somehow found their way to Chanyeol's shoulders, holding onto him as Chanyeol tilted his head, the burning sensation of his touch moving to the small of Baekhyun's back. He pulled Baekhyun closer, his arm wrapping around his waist as they didn't separate for one second, drowning in the feeling of each other.

Chanyeol's tongue ran across Baekhyun's bottom lip and the latter moaned as he opened his mouth without hesitation, wanting to lose himself in the sensation of everything that Chanyeol was.

Baekhyun separated when his lungs burned with the need for oxygen, and if he thought the bumpbump of his heart earlier had been alarming, hell, he'd need a military force to disarm the bomb currently ticking in his heart.

Chanyeol's eyes were clearer than ever, and as they stared into Baekhyun's own, Baekhyun questioned if he could see what he was thinking.

They currently looked like some long lost lovers, having just kissed each other for a solid minute and a half without pulling away, wrapped in each other's embrace.

Chanyeol smiled at him, and when the wind picked up and brushed Chanyeol's hair away, revealing the ears that Baekhyun realized were indeed bigger than normal ears, he was suddenly reminded of Jongdae.

Jongdae, and what he had said.

No.

This wasn't how it was supposed to end.

Baekhyun managed to break the pink, heart filled filter that was clouding his mind, and he abruptly took himself out of Chanyeol's embrace.

He didn't utter a word, and neither did Chanyeol.

He didn't stay back to see the heartbroken look on Chanyeol's face as he side stepped him, walking back double the speed that he had gotten there.

The only footsteps thunking on the wood were Baekhyun's as he made his way away from Chanyeol, as far away as he could. His hand instinctively made his way to his lips, brushing away any remnants of their kiss with the pad of his thumb.

He tried not to think about how good it felt to have Chanyeol's lips on his own, or how good it felt to have his arms around him.

He nearly sprinted down the stairs once he got there, making his way to Chanyeol's car and pulling on the handle, surprised when he saw that it was unlocked.

He grabbed his backpack and didn't bother putting it on properly, closing the Mercedes door with a slam and betraying himself as he looked up.

He saw the small figure standing alone, in the middle of the bridge, and he bit the inside of his cheek when he felt his stomach twisting.

Shaking his head, he reminded himself that Chanyeol was only a tool that he had used for his personal purposes.

It didn't matter that he could see the clear image of Chanyeol crying in the front of his mind—he cried because of Mulan, for Christ's sake—and it didn't matter that he knew what he was doing to Chanyeol's mind now.

He balled up his hands and made his way to a bus stop relatively close, but in a direction that he was sure Chanyeol wouldn't drive to.

He set his backpack down on one of the cold, metal chairs, falling into the object's embrace and recognizing how different it was from Chanyeol's hold.

Baekhyun turned and looked at the Mercedes which was backing out of the parking space rather clumsily, and he watched as it drove away, in the opposite direction as he had expected. He stared at it for as long as he could, before it was hidden by trees and houses, disappearing from his sight and leaving him by himself.

When will it be enough?

Or rather...

Will it ever be enough?


Dramatic is my middle name