II : VII

Want You Back

PART TWO
"I W A N T Y O U"
II : VII

Baekhyun grabbed his keys off of the counter, pausing one last time to contemplate his life choices. Was he really going to go to this Viva Polo thing?

It had been nearly two weeks since he'd seen Chanyeol and he felt as if it was aiding him in his need to get over the giant—if he saw him now, would that change anything?

It's just one evening, Baekhyun reminded himself, knowing that he couldn't just ditch the plans and run (even if that option was very tempting). Kris would probably be waiting for Baekhyun, and he didn't want to disappoint the male because... well, he was probably going to break things off with him soon.

Kris wasn't a bad guy, he admitted that, but Baekhyun couldn't feel anything past friendship. He tried going out with him multiple times but whenever they had skinship, Baekhyun didn't feel the sparks—whenever he stared at the blond, he didn't feel something flutter nor light up his stomach.

Making up his mind, he checked his appearance one last time and left the building, running into Zitao in the hallway and giving him a curt smile as they entered the elevator, starting up a small conversation about whatever was on their minds. Baekhyun may have felt that the guy looked intimidating, but he could sense that he wasn't a terrible dude.

He figured out that Tao was a professional singer and actor, while also taking up some form of martial arts, and that he moved to Korea around 6 years ago, having been born in China.

Baekhyun shared a few things about himself too, like how he was going to assume the position as CEO of his parent's company sometime soon, and how he moved into the apartment a few months ago.

He bid goodbye to Tao when they reached the Lobby and were walking to the parking lot, separating as they went in search of their cars.

Baekhyun entered his own car and started the engine, pulling out of the parking space and beginning the short ride from his place to the restaurant. The entire ride, he couldn't help but imagine worst case scenarios—the worst of them all being Chanyeol all over Wendy the entire time (since Baekhyun was sure that he would bring her), and becoming entirely too jealous about a taken man.

He tried to calm himself as he drove up to Viva Polo, sliding easily into a parking spot and taking a deep breath as he turned off his car. He held onto the steering wheel for a couple of moments after that, trying to get a good grasp of himself before he went in there and his mind ventured off without allowing him time to block the thoughts. Nodding, he took all of his needed belongings and left, locking up his car as he entered the air-conditioned building.

When he entered, the mood was surprisingly more chill than he expected it to be. He thought people would be all crowded up and talking about things Baekhyun wouldn't understand, but he was surprised to find around 14 people just standing around, making small conversation as they ate some food.

The tables that usually filled the space were pushed to the side, a table in the middle that had dishes that Baekhyun guessed were Viva Polo's specialties, allowing the workers to actually try what their chefs were capable of if they hadn't before. The moment Baekhyun walked further inside, Kris called him over in a rather loud voice, alerting the other people as they turned and glanced at the newcomer.

Baekhyun was used to all of the attention but for some reason, knowing that amongst those people Chanyeol was currently staring at him, it made his heart stutter as he walked over to his date for the night, trying not to trip up and completely embarrass himself.

The moment he stood by Kris' side, the taller began introducing Baekhyun to people who looked interested in the unfamiliar person who was apparently Kris' date. Baekhyun told himself that this was normal, because he had done social gatherings like these many times with his parents before and he made himself smile naturally, introducing himself in place of Kris doing that for him.

Over the years, he had become better at communicating with people because his job wasn't one meant for an awkward social caterpillar, so he was prompted to learn how to small talk and amuse people, which he admitted was something he was grateful for.

The evening continued smoothly with no interactions with the restaurant's manager and chef, and Baekhyun met a couple of people he could now call acquaintances. Overall, the staff at Viva Polo weren't bad and Baekhyun was glad for that, else that day would've been a complete show.

Even though he wasn't talking to Chanyeol, that didn't refrain him from staring over at the giant every now and then, making sure that he'd be discreet as he watched Chanyeol converse with other people naturally, the "awkward" image he had in high school completely disappearing. Baekhyun recognized that Chanyeol was probably a little like him, needing to become someone who could control the situation at any given moment but again, Baekhyun didn't know much anymore.

It was weird what time could do to a person and all of the things they experienced. To some, like Chanyeol, the mistakes they had would fade and become something they couldn't spare another thought to. While to others, mainly Baekhyun, the mistakes they had would only cut deeper with time, imprinting itself onto their identity and becoming something they couldn't forget.

Baekhyun wondered why he couldn't be like Chanyeol, why he couldn't move on from someone who was meant to be a small breakup back in high school. The short male knew that Chanyeol was right—knew that it was stupid to hold onto something that no one cared about anymore, but Baekhyun was like that. Because of his first mistakes, he couldn't forget all of the others, leaving them to pile up in his memory thus allowing it to act as a slow, poisonous mixture that would eventually kill him.

He felt jealousy stir in him as he watched Chanyeol talk with Wendy more than the others, staring down at her like she was the only thing he saw regardless of everyone around him. Baekhyun's heart ached and he turned away, focusing his attention back to Kris who had been sticking to him more than usual.

When it turned 9 PM, Chanyeol suddenly came back from the bar with a few bottles of chilled wine in hand, presenting them to his coworkers who cheered, fetching glasses for everyone in the room as Chanyeol opened the bottles.

They set the glasses on the table and left it open for anyone who wanted to drink. Kris offered to get him some but Baekhyun denied. "I don't like drinking with people I don't trust—I mean, I trust you but not the other people in the room because I haven't known them for long and—you get it..."

After what had happened when he went to the club with Jongdae, Minseok, and Junmyeon, Baekhyun never went partying again. He always wondered what would've happened if Chanyeol hadn't been there, so he didn't drink when it wasn't with Luhan or an environment that wasn't appropriate.

Kris nodded and went to get a drink for himself, leaving Baekhyun standing there awkwardly. He was actually surprised at how much time had passed without him realizing it, but he guessed that it was because his thoughts had been mostly on Chanyeol, and not the time like it usually was.

The purple-haired man always felt as if he had too little time to do anything, considering the fact that sleeping took up a third of his day and eating took up another few hours if he wanted to enjoy it. His work took up half of his day which left him a couple of hours to do things that he enjoyed, which ranged from exercise, reading a book or just sleeping for another couple of hours. His routine was pretty solid but sometimes Baekhyun wished that he could live recklessly like other people; always right next to the deadline and spending all the time he wanted for himself.

It was at that moment that Chanyeol turned and Baekhyun was caught red-handed staring at him, his heartbeat flip-flopping as none of them turned away for a couple of seconds, which felt like forever. Baekhyun was snapped out of his daze when Kris returned and he missed the way that Chanyeol winced at the sight, the taller distracting himself as he talked to the others.

Chanyeol felt himself inwardly scowl as he thought about how earlier, Kris had wrapped an arm around Baekhyun's waist as he introduced him. Chanyeol had really hoped that Baekhyun wouldn't come to this get-together because even if he denied it, he was frustrated that he was coming with Kris. He didn't like seeing the way his worker would subtly touch Baekhyun's arm, looking all too happy (which was rare from the blond) as he talked by Baekhyun's side. Chanyeol couldn't tell if Baekhyun himself was enjoying it as much as Kris but when Baekhyun smiled and laughed, he felt his stomach turn at the fact that it wasn't him who was making him laugh.

, Chanyeol cursed, telling himself to get it together. This wasn't some fairy tale and Chanyeol wasn't the protagonist—but when he looked at Baekhyun he felt exactly like that, scolding himself when he caught his thoughts.

Wendy placed a hand on Chanyeol's arm, recognizing the way that Chanyeol's eyebrows would lightly furrow and the sparkle in his eyes would disappear. The taller felt glad that Wendy knew him so much, giving her a tight smile that she returned, but brighter.

In truth, he wasn't dating Wendy at all.

He scolded the girl after she had introduced herself as Chanyeol's girlfriend, and she had only replied that it was fun messing with Baekhyun's mind after he messed with Chanyeol's and really, Chanyeol should've expected that for his overprotective friend.

Though there was a time where Wendy confessed to loving him, Chanyeol just couldn't return the feelings, insisting that they could still be friends. After that time—five years ago—they had been closer than ever, sharing all of their worries even if they were in the past. Wendy knew who Baekhyun was even before he introduced himself, knowing the moment he stepped into the elevator and had that expression on his face as he saw Chanyeol with her. If Wendy knew one thing, it was the fact that ex-lovers usually didn't look at their partner like that without leftover feelings.

Chanyeol sipped on his wine as he glanced over at Baekhyun who wasn't drinking anything, only nodding along to Kris who was currently talking to Kim Sunggyu. He noted that Kris was being more touchy feely than usual, grabbing Baekhyun's arm or throwing his own around Baekhyun's shoulders. It was probably the wine that he had been practically inhaling, causing him to be a little different than usual. But Chanyeol could rest at ease because he knew that Kris wouldn't ever do something terrible, he knew that Kris would probably at worst start kissing Baekhyun but the smaller could always push him away without him fighting.

He sighed. Whenever he was in the presence of Baekhyun, he would always make sure to keep his attention on Wendy, not wanting to awaken any of the old emotions he felt for the smaller even when deep inside, he knew that he already had. He tried to make his best friend the only thing he thought of, without knowing that Baekhyun was doing the exact same thing.

Even on the opposite side of the room, Baekhyun heard Chanyeol's voice, the deep tone standing out from all of the others that were currently invading his senses. He bit his lip and tried hard to focus on the talk Kris was currently having with Sunggyu and his boyfriend Woohyun, but they were talking about a show that Baekhyun didn't watch, leaving him to feel left out.

After another half-hour or so of constantly feeling that unmistakable bout of jealousy for Wendy and Chanyeol, all while being left out from the conversations he had, he decided it, wine didn't seem like such a bad idea after all. He poured himself a drink and downed at least half of it in one go, returning to Kris' side as he decided to talk a little more to the others. He started up a conversation that had nothing to do with the previous, making sure that it was something general that most people including him knew. The three didn't seem to mind and went with it, entertaining Baekhyun and actually making him feel like he was having a conversation.

The two glasses of wine seemed to give Baekhyun the kick he needed to not feel so bored anymore, but his feelings were starting to become more prominent as the alcohol made its effect on Baekhyun's small body. He didn't drink anymore after that because he was too busy thinking about Chanyeol and Wendy, or more importantly just Chanyeol. The barrier he had before was gone even if he wasn't entirely drunk (he was bordering on tipsy), which showed just how weak his resistance to the subject was in the first place.

He sighed as he stared at Chanyeol again, briefly wondering how long the damn get-together would be before he could go home.

He didn't want to upset his "boyfriend" and leave early, since Kris seemed to be enjoying himself.

When he turned back to the conversation with a small frown on his face, he didn't realize that Wendy and Chanyeol left the room, only talking about how stupid the phrase Netflix and chill was.

"Do you want me to put away your glass?" Kris asked when it was evident that Baekhyun wasn't going to drink anymore. Baekhyun shook his head.

"I can do it myself," he smiled, "Where do I put this?"

"Just come with me," he said and Baekhyun nodded, his feet taking him there whereas his mind was still on Chanyeol. He should get himself together, sometime soon would be nice.

Kris grabbed his hand and Baekhyun's eyes widened at the gesture, since he had never done that before. He pulled Baekhyun along and pushed open the door labeled Kitchen. When Kris suddenly stopped, saying something that sounded like "Oops, interrupting something," Baekhyun peeked over his shoulder from behind.

The two that were already in the room looked like they were in the middle of something, with Wendy sitting on the counter and Chanyeol standing right in front of her. The giant froze when he saw Kris stepped in, his hand holding onto Baekhyun's who was just as shocked as the taller.

Kris pulled the smaller along, leading them to the sink where Baekhyun put down his cup, his gaze on anything but the two others in the room.

"Come on," Kris said as he lightly pulled on Baekhyun's hand to snap him out of it, and Chanyeol couldn't hold back his frown when he saw the skinship this time.

No one but Wendy noticed it, who worked fast and suddenly spoke up, jumping off of the counter once Chanyeol moved.

"Hey Kris, there's this thing that Yeol and I can't grab in the storage room. Wanna help?" she asked and Kris, already a little tipsy, only shrugged when she grabbed his arm and dragged him out.

"Wait—" Baekhyun began but the door had already closed when he snapped out of that little bit of surprise.

Chanyeol wanted to groan because why did Wendy keep doing these things? She always said she was helping Chanyeol when the giant felt as if it was the opposite. How was leaving Baekhyun, the ex he probably still had feelings for and himself in a room alone, going to help?

Baekhyun knew he should've left already but he felt rooted into place, much like Chanyeol who was at a loss of words. Chanyeol opened his mouth to speak but stopped when he realized how stupid the words actually were.

Baekhyun could only think about what Wendy and Chanyeol were doing. If he hadn't stepped in then, would they be making out? Were they already making out? As mentioned before, the small filter he had regarding Wendy and Chanyeol had already disappeared and all kinds of thoughts infiltrated his mind.

When it came to Chanyeol, Baekhyun forgot about the entire act he put up, becoming reckless and doing things he usually wouldn't.

The thought of Wendy and Chanyeol kissing made his blood boil more than any other thought, his fists clenched at his side.

"So," Baekhyun suddenly spoke up, the alcohol making him feel a little more fearless, "Wendy seems like a nice person."

"Yeah," Chanyeol replied, "Kris is a nice guy too."

Baekhyun thought that he was imagining it when he heard the sharp tone in Chanyeol's voice, brushing the thought off as he stood there awkwardly.

The tension in the air was high, the two of them feeling endless amounts of jealousy for the person they assumed the other loved. "I'm glad that you found someone," Baekhyun nearly grit out, the silence having dragged on for too long. He glanced at Chanyeol and found him staring back, his gaze getting caught in the taller's. "She probably won't break your heart. She seems to like you a lot."

Baekhyun honestly didn't know what kind of hole he was currently digging himself into, but after three weeks of thinking about how Wendy and Chanyeol had something so much better than what Baekhyun and Chanyeol had, he couldn't stop himself.

"And you like her too—"

At Baekhyun's words, Chanyeol suddenly seemed frustrated, running a hand through his hair. "What are you trying to do right now?" Chanyeol suddenly questioned and Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, wondering what he was talking about. "This whole... being happy for my relationship thing."

"Are you saying I shouldn't be happy for you?"

"I mean, the entire reason you left me was because you weren't happy with me, so why would you be happy for me?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun winced at the words.

They were obviously too high strung to think about anything rationally, being led by their raw emotions of jealousy and frustration, creating something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

"I'm trying to fix things. Weren't you the one who said you wanted to forget everything?" Baekhyun answered, remembering the hurt as he thought back to what Chanyeol said back then.

Chanyeol crossed his arms, momentarily taken off track when Baekhyun bit his lip, and he suddenly had thoughts that had nothing to do with the conversation.

"Yes—but you didn't seem to want to cooperate," the taller pointed out after recovering, "You haven't spoken to me since."

It was immature, what they were both doing, but after countless hours of thinking of the other and an evening filled with bitter smiles and sneaky glances, it seemed to be the only thing that was normal.

"I didn't think that you'd care, after all, you have Wendy."

Chanyeol was getting sick of Baekhyun mentioning Wendy, and before Baekhyun even knew what was going on, he was pushed up against the sink's counter, Chanyeol's arms on both of his sides

The giant suddenly leaned in and Baekhyun stood there, pressed against the cool granite with wide eyes as Chanyeol's breath fanned against his ear. "I think you forgot the fact that I like boys."

He leaned back a little and stared at Baekhyun, who seemed to have gotten over the initial shock of Chanyeol pushing him up against the counter. The moment Baekhyun flicked his tongue over those pink lips, the tension snapped and all of the jealousy and frustrations were turned into yearning—complete and desperate longing.

Chanyeol swooped down and slanted his lips over Baekhyun's, the shorter letting out a noise as his pretty hands made their way to Chanyeol's hair, holding on as if it would keep him sane. It had been years but Baekhyun's lips were still as sweet and as soft as before, fitting with Chanyeol's perfectly and driving the giant crazy. He pressed himself closer to the shorter, addicted to the way that Baekhyun whimpered when he ran his tongue over his bottom lip.

Chanyeol's hands trailed down his sides and eventually lifted him onto the counter, the smaller having no qualms as his thighs encased Chanyeol's waist and the taller deepened the kiss, Baekhyun's lips parting as their tongues met in a flurry.

Baekhyun let out a strangled moan when their hips pressed against each other's and he pulled away to breathe, only to pull Chanyeol back in again as he missed the warmth already.

They continued on like that, stealing small, pleasing noises as they got their fill of each other—which, even after Baekhyun pressed himself impossibly close, wasn't enough.

And as Baekhyun drowned himself in the feeling of Chanyeol's hot breath mixing with his own, his lips claimed and his body shivering whenever their skin made contact, he realized why he couldn't be like Chanyeol—why he couldn't forget Chanyeol and his dumb smiles, Chanyeol and his lame jokes, Chanyeol and his entirely different appearance.

It didn't matter if it was now or back then, but Baekhyun knew.

He wanted Chanyeol and his everything.