II : XVI

Want You Back

double update, so please read the previous chapter if you haven't!

and thank you so much to the people who actually enjoy this story. ily and i hope i don't disappoint :)


 

Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol would say those words, yet he was still unprepared.

He was embarrassed, sad, angry, happy to see Chanyeol—in all, he was a mess.

It was even worse that Chanyeol didn't seem to be affected by anything that was happening, his gaze remaining stoic as he stared at the shorter. Baekhyun turned to face the wide windows that showed the view of the city, not wanting to let Chanyeol see his tears.

"Can I..." Baekhyun trailed off. "Can I ask why?"

There was silence for a few moments before Baekhyun heard the voice he had become extremely attached to, speaking in a way that he never thought it would.

Baekhyun knew Chanyeol was here to break his heart, but he couldn't have foreseen what the taller said next.

"Payback."

The word was poison; filled with spite and malevolence—so deadly that it killed any remaining confusion left in the shorter.

"What?" Baekhyun asked, turning when he heard that one unbelievable word.

Chanyeol stood his ground, looking the same as before even when he spotted Baekhyun's red-rimmed eyes.

"Are you ing serious?" Baekhyun questioned, fully facing Chanyeol now. He let out a loud, unbelievable laugh when the other didn't deny. "You... You did all of this for payback?" Baekhyun was trying to seem calm because he didn't want to lose to Chanyeol's cool demeanor, but his voice was already shaking and his fists were already clenched, his heart stopping and racing all the same.

He couldn't believe his eyes nor ears.

It all made sense now. All of it. The questions that hadn't been answered, they were just answered in one word.

Why did Chanyeol take him back so easily?

He never intended to fully do it.

Why did it seem like Chanyeol was taking Baekhyun's role from the past?

He was.

Why was Chanyeol here now, after ignoring him for all of these weeks?

He wanted to completely break Baekhyun's heart.

Why did Chanyeol seem to be so in love with Baekhyun even when he hated himself?

He wasn't.

"I can't believe you!" Baekhyun exploded, his emotions taking control of his every word and action. "You bastard, you jerk, you said—"

Baekhyun stopped, his breath hitching in his throat when the memories became too much. In that moment, he remembered the way Chanyeol had held him close and told him that he forgave Baekhyun.

"You're a ing liar," Baekhyun seethed.

"And you aren't?" the other retorted, making the angry flame in Baekhyun grow twice as big.

"That was ten years ago! Ten ing years, Park! You lied to me! You said you'd forget—you said you forgave me and you... you said that you were okay being with me again."

Baekhyun was crying again—and for a second there he thought that Chanyeol's expression changed for a split second, but his blurry tears were just distorting his vision.

"...Did you really have to go this far? Isn't it enough to know that I wanted you back even after all these years? I want you so damn much." Baekhyun wiped at his tears, his heart aching so much that he believed he could faint and pass on right at that moment. "Isn't that enough?" 

He received no answer, unless silence and a disheartening gaze counted as one. Chanyeol wasn't doing anything, and that only proved to Baekhyun that what he was saying was absolutely right.

Baekhyun's arms dropped to his side, finding it worthless to try and wipe away all of his tears. He might as well cry a river that could drown out his feelings.

And Chanyeol, he was just standing there. He didn't say anything, and it seemed that he didn't need to. Baekhyun had explained everything perfectly.

As the final, heartless blow, Chanyeol backed up and turned, planning to leave without saying anything else.

Baekhyun wanted to tell him to stop, but he knew better than that. Chanyeol was done with him and Baekhyun should just move on before things became worse.

But it was already worse. He hated it, but after all of this, he still felt incredible sadness that this meant he wasn't Chanyeol's anymore. He wouldn't be seeing Chanyeol anymore. He wouldn't observe his cheesy cooking. He wouldn't cuddle with him anymore. He wouldn't watch dumb chick flicks with him anymore. He wouldn't talk to him anymore. He wouldn't wake up to Chanyeol anymore. He wouldn't kiss him anymore.

God, if only he knew that their kiss at Viva Polo would be their last one.

He would've held on forever.

"You were right about one thing," Baekhyun said, his words only loud enough to reach Chanyeol who had already pulled open the door to leave.

"Everyone's an once in their life."

 

 

The door closed with a click.

 



 

END OF PART TWO
"I W A N T Y O U"