I : V

Want You Back

PART ONE
"I  R E G R E T  Y O U"
I : V

Chanyeol found Baekhyun waiting at the front eagerly (just like he had expected) and he walked over to him, lugging the two skateboards that he had brought from his home.

"Where were you?" Baekhyun asked and he was nearly pouting, upset that Chanyeol made him wait for at least ten minutes.

Chanyeol laughed and shook his head, "I had to go back to my house to get my skateboards, and... I didn't really have a way to tell you that."

It was then that they both noticed that they didn't have each other's phone numbers.

They saw each other so often during school that the use of phones to communicate was completely forgotten, until now.

"Um, do you want to... maybe, can I have your phone number?" Baekhyun questioned awkwardly, and he cursed his inexperience at this stuff. Usually, it was people asking Baekhyun for his phone number and he definitely has experience brushing them off—but asking other people for their phone number? Nope.

Chanyeol shrugged and got his phone out of his pocket, handing it to Baekhyun.

The elder snorted when he saw the iPhone that came out three years ago, along with an ugly fading case with Rilakkuma on it.

"Password?"

"1127."

Baekhyun looked up from the screen once he got in. "I didn't expect you to actually tell me... And why is it 1127?"

"It's my birthday," Chanyeol answered sheepishly and Baekhyun laughed again, wondering how the guy survived these days.

"You really need to change your password. And your case. Your phone too," he said as he entered his number into Chanyeol's contacts, adding himself as "ByunByun".

He texted himself using Chanyeol's phone, feeling the telltale vibration on his left thigh. He gave Chanyeol his phone and began to walk away, waiting for him to follow him.

When he realized that Chanyeol wasn't walking beside him, Baekhyun turned and found the other staring at his phone as if he was in deep thought.

"Chanyeol?" he questioned as he walked up to him, getting up in his face and staring into his eyes. He noted that Chanyeol had gotten a little taller.

"Oh. Right," the other blinked and put his phone into his pocket, following what Baekhyun had done a couple of minutes ago, the situation reversed from before.

"Hey! You can't just walk away without me!" Baekhyun whined and ran to catch up with Chanyeol, staring at him as they walked.

"Baekhyun?"

"Yes?" he answered almost automatically, since he had been expecting Chanyeol to say something.

"What are we?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun stopped walking at the abrupt question. It seemed as if they were figuring out a lot of things today (first, about the phone numbers, and now, about this). "I mean, you've called me your boyfriend before but I'm guessing that was all just impulsive..."

"Well, not really... I guess—um, yeah, I think of you as my boyfriend." Baekhyun kicked a rock on the ground, avoiding Chanyeol's gaze. He didn't really know what to answer.

Sure, he had called Chanyeol his boyfriend on multiple occasions, but the truth was that Chanyeol was just an experiment for the future.

He wondered what would happen if Chanyeol figured out about this fact, and he quickly shook his head as an image of Chanyeol's sad eyes appeared in his mind.  

"We're boyfriends then," Chanyeol announced and Baekhyun looked up into Chanyeol's eyes, spotting a mischevious glint. "Because after all, majority rules and both parties agree that the other is their boyfriend."

"God, you and your formal talk," Baekhyun rolled his eyes, the dilemma in his mind earlier completely gone as they continued their walk to the nearby park.

Baekhyun smiled to himself and took a peek at Chanyeol, feeling something light in his chest when he thought of the words boyfriend and Chanyeol.

After a solid two minutes of staring at Chanyeol from his peripheral vision, Baekhyun saw Chanyeol struggling with the skateboards, seemingly wanting to hold both of them with one hand.

"It seems like you're having trouble," Baekhyun pointed out, clearly amused.

Chanyeol huffed, shaking his head. "Mind helping out? One of them is for you, anyway."

Baekhyun was about to deny before he saw that Chanyeol was seriously struggling, and he wondered why Chanyeol even wanted to hold two with one hand.

So without thinking, he grabbed one (the prettier one, without weird stickers on it,) and rolled his eyes. "There. Happy?"

"Very."

The second Baekhyun switched to his opposite hand because he was getting tired, he felt a feather-light brush on his free hand, nearly jerking away when he thought it was a bug. Before he could react like he usually would—screaming bloody murder and dropping everything before running—he felt fingers intertwine with his own.

He was nearly about to drop everything and run, but this time because of a different reason.

Chanyeol was holding his hand.

The idiot made Baekhyun hold a skateboard so they could hold hands.

He refused to admit that it was kind of a charming move.

Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol who was already staring at him, and he kept his gaze there.

"Is this okay?" Chanyeol asked, squeezing Baekhyun's hand gently to show what he was talking about.

Baekhyun didn't have anything to say—did he ever have anything to say when Chanyeol was acting so... so cuddly?

So he only nodded, feeling the blush rise on his cheeks, realizing that he was like one of those thermometers.   

 

The rest of the walk was strangely quick, and they arrived at the park before Baekhyun was ready to say goodbye to Chanyeol's hand.

He couldn't even lie to himself and say that the handholding wasn't enticing (because holy crap, it might be Baekhyun's new favourite thing) and he found himself unconsciously holding Chanyeol's hand tighter.

Chanyeol's hands were larger than Baekhyun's, and although they were rough, they were simultaneously soft—which Baekhyun found impossible, but hey, Chanyeol managed impossible things. His fingers made Baekhyun's own completely warm, and he'd usually be ticked off but he appreciated it because it was spring and the wind was stronger than he anticipated.

They both decided against the fancy ramps and chose to start off on the walkway, at the top of the slant in the small hill.

Since it was still a weekday, there was nearly no one there, leaving them at peace and without risk of accidents.

Chanyeol set his skateboard down and Baekhyun did the same, both of them making sure that it didn't roll down without them noticing.

They were still holding hands, and it seemed as if now, the two didn't know what to do.

Chanyeol decided to be the hero and he broke the silence, choosing an alternative that Baekhyun hadn't thought of. "How about we help you get used to getting onto the skateboard first?"

Baekhyun nodded and Chanyeol pushed his skateboard back, making sure that if Baekhyun failed he wouldn't roll down the hill on the way.

The shorter placed one awkward foot onto the skateboard, feeling wobbly as he stepped up and added the other, accidentally reaching out when he was losing balance. Chanyeol's other hand was suddenly on his arm, and their previously intertwined hands were now just cupped together, to help Baekhyun stay on the contraption.

Chanyeol slowly backed away to test the waters, watching with amusement when Baekhyun reached out for him again, nearly falling when he tried to adjust his feet.

"You lied," Baekhyun said, the grip he had on Chanyeol's bicep nearly killing his blood circulation. "This is really hard."

"You're just not good with your feet."

Baekhyun scoffed, "Explain why I'm on the soccer team then."

"Because you can kick balls."

"True that," Baekhyun grinned and Chanyeol laughed. "Okay, but I take hapkido, and this should be a jiffy for me. It's rigged," he finalized and Chanyeol only shook his head, finding Baekhyun's frustration lovable.

"Watch me," Chanyeol said as he slowly let go of Baekhyun again, "Oh, and don't fall off in awe."

Baekhyun laughed incredulously but he nearly fell off with just that, deciding to plant one of his feet back onto the ground.

Chanyeol grabbed his own skateboard and set it down so that it would roll down the hill, and he placed one of his feet on with ease, lifting himself on and starting to make his way down.

Around a quarter of his way down, he did some "magic stuff" (Baekhyun's definition) and jumped, switching his legs so that he was going backwards, staring at Baekhyun as he spread his arms open, waggling his eyebrows.

"You're a loser," Baekhyun called and Chanyeol shook his head, turning back around and cruising the rest of the way.

If they had been at the ramps, Chanyeol could've done much more, but there wasn't much to do at the place he liked to call the "beginner's hill".

He made his way back up to Baekhyun and found the other crossing his arms, still looking just as frustrated.

"I don't get it. How do you do it?"

"Just don't be scared and go for it," Chanyeol said, wondering how he could make Baekhyun succeed in skateboarding. "Since you're—what the—Baek—"

Baekhyun had placed one foot on and pushed off with his other, the position of his first foot creating a mess of his limbs and he swore his life flashed before his eyes as he started going down the hill.

Of course, he didn't register the fact that he needed to fit both of his feet onto the thing equally, so placing his primary foot in the middle really wasn't helping. Plus, when he finally got his other foot on, it created unbalance in the board and he was tipping back at an alarming rate. 

Before he could fall and crack his head on the cement, he felt two arms fit themselves under his own, lifting him up and off the skateboard, and with that momentum he accidentally kicked his skateboard, giving it the boost it needed to go the rest of the way down the hill... Without him, of course.

He watched the skateboard glide slowly down, and when it hit into the trunk of a tree at the bottom, he turned to look at Chanyeol who had already placed him down, his hands still lingering near his waist in case Baekhyun decided to do something idiotic again.

Baekhyun snorted as he thought of what he just did, and when he replayed the scene in his mind it just seemed funnier, making him laugh louder. His head tipped and he placed his forehead onto Chanyeol's shoulder, laughing without any restrictions.

He nearly felt like crying at how funny the scene was, and he now understood why thirteen-year-olds enjoyed watching "Fail Army" so much.

"Baek," Chanyeol said, patting his head as he tried to get him to stop laughing. "You almost killed yourself."

Baekhyun stood straight again, wiping at the tears that were gathering in his eyes and he shook his head. "You're over exaggerating, and by the way, I'm still here aren't I?"

Chanyeol sighed, looking genuinely worried as he stared at Baekhyun from top to bottom, making sure that he didn't hurt himself anywhere.

He patted Chanyeol's cheek mockingly (even if the action made both of them blush) and grinned. "Why not just enjoy whatever just happened and store it in your 'things that Baekhyun does to embarrass himself' jar?"

"I don't have anything like that," Chanyeol reassured and Baekhyun tsked him.

"Well, I do. And I still remember when you ran into a bookshelf."

Chanyeol scrunched up his nose at the memory and Baekhyun laughed, freeing himself from Chanyeol's light hold and picking up Chanyeol's skateboard.

"Baekhyun you're going to hurt yourself again."

"Correction, 'I'm going to hurt myself.' Since I didn't hurt myself before so there should be no again."

Chanyeol clucked his tongue at his smartass boyfriend, watching as Baekhyun set the skateboard down in place, and instead of standing on it, he sat his down, crossing his legs and making sure that he wasn't touching the ground. He wasn't facing the right way, still staring at Chanyeol as he prepared himself for takeoff.

"I may not know how to skateboard or snowboard, but I do know how to go sledding, and how to have fun."

"I will actually immobilize you," Chanyeol warned and Baekhyun stuck his tongue out.

"If you can catch me, loser!" Baekhyun exclaimed dramatically, pushing himself with his hands and going completely off-track on the first go. He didn't even succeed in going on the walkway, going into the grass instead.

And if there was one thing Chanyeol knew, it was that skateboards used as sleds, on grass, wasn't the fastest thing in the world.

So, that was the story of how Baekhyun ended up inching down the hill with Chanyeol walking by his side, trying not to laugh as Baekhyun swore repeatedly, his eyebrows furrowed and his arms crossed as he ordered the skateboard to go faster.

It ended with Baekhyun getting tired and doing a terrible backward summersault off the skateboard, making it flip and hit him in the head.

"Ow!" Baekhyun exclaimed as he held the spot on his head, wondering what he did to the Skateboard God for it to want Baekhyun to fail every single time.

He sat and sulked on the grass, his legs halfway crossed and his black hair messy and sporting some blades of grass. He was still holding the spot he was hit, feeling a tiny bump start to form.

Chanyeol kneeled down in front of him and picked out the green from his hair, smiling at Baekhyun cheekily.

"And this is why you listen to your nerd-of-a-boyfriend."  

"Ah..." Baekhyun suddenly said, and Chanyeol was worried that something else hurt, but Baekhyun paid no mind to his injuries.

Instead, he was staring at Chanyeol, definitely awestruck and definitely taken aback at the fast pounding of his heart.

He looked bright and nice under the sunlight, and Baekhyun seemed to run out of fancy words to describe Chanyeol, because everything with him was simple.

Chanyeol understood him easily, and he laughed at Baekhyun's jokes, and he called him cute, and he tried teaching him things, and he took care of him—and he was legitimately the perfect boyfriend. 

And Baekhyun over here, was alarmed that he really, really, liked the thought that Chanyeol was his boyfriend.

No one else's.


I hope you enjoyed :)