II : I

Want You Back

PART TWO
"I  W A N T  Y O U"
II : I

Baekhyun woke up to fresh sunlight and new bed sheets, snuggling into his covers as he yawned. He rolled onto his side and spotted the time, groaning when he realized that he'd have to take his morning jog instead of sleeping in.

If only New Year's Resolution wasn't a thing, and if only Baekhyun wasn't fully committed to staying fit then maybe he could've buried himself in his blankets and went straight back to sleep. But alas, his dreams were legitimately ruined as he threw the covers off of him and went to his washroom, cleaning himself up for the morning.

He ran his hand through his newly dyed pastel purple hair, picking up a strand and staring at it through the mirror. To be honest, he didn't really fancy the colour, but after ten years of staying with black hair, he had decided that he should change it up a little.

Once he threw on a pair of loose pants and his favourite zip-up hoodie, he was already out the door and in the elevator, a pair of sneakers on his feet.

There, he was greeted by the presence of a stranger; someone taller than him with blond hair. He looked menacing but Baekhyun knew that looks couldn't possibly describe an entire person, so he decided not to come to a conclusion so soon. He was probably Baekhyun's neighbour, and the shorter wanted to think that his neighbours were nice.

"I'm Baekhyun," he introduced curtly and the other nodded.

"My name's Zitao. I see that you've just moved in?"

This time Baekhyun nodded, finding the other man to be nice company. Baekhyun didn't talk to strangers as much, mostly because strangers have been complete s ever since he was born.

The ride was completely silent the rest of the way, both of them too busy thinking to say anything. When they reached the lobby a few minutes later, they left in opposite ways.

Baekhyun decided then that he needed a water bottle, sweeping his eyes through the common area and finding fewer people than yesterday afternoon, leaving the vending machines and couches nearly vacant. There were only two other people there, one at the vending machines and the other working with a laptop on the couch.

Baekhyun made his way over to the machines, pulling out the spare change that he had shoved into his pocket earlier. The man in front of him—tall, dark hair and dressed similarly to himself—punched in the number of his drink, waiting for the vending machine to drop the drink into the zone where he could retrieve it.

When he bent down to get it, Baekhyun noticed that his legs were bowed, finding imperfection number one.

The man left without ever giving Baekhyun a chance to stare at his face, leaving the shorter to buy a water bottle.

Baekhyun watched the guy's back until he left out the door, wondering why he was so drawn to him when all he saw was his back.

He shook his head, buying his drink before proceeding with his morning.

Baekhyun's jog took place in the park in front of his apartment, giving him the chance to become acquainted with the new setting.

The place he had just moved into belonged to an apartment complex of four buildings. The other apartments around Baekhyun's weren't as classy as the one he had chosen, but they were far from being ordinary too. The apartments were all shaped like perpendicular V's, allowing them to surround a well-kept park, multiple benches littering the spaces and making it seem like college grounds instead of ordinary city sites. There were pathways to run and walk along with drinking fountains, making Baekhyun regret buying his water bottle.

He remembered spotting the vending-machine-guy from earlier, entering the apartment opposite from Baekhyun, and he briefly wondered why the man couldn't just use his own vending machine.

The rest of his jog was uneventful and Baekhyun got back half an hour later, washing up and heading over to his parent's building where he would most likely have to listen to endless facts about management and tricks on "how to be successful".

Baekhyun sighed.

He didn't even want to be the next CEO to his dad's company, because in all honesty he didn't give a crap for fast retailing or any of the stuff that his parents did.

Not like he had a choice, anyway.

~

Sometime during the afternoon, his simultaneously old and new friend called him up, asking him if he wanted to go eat out.

"Since you just moved, we should celebrate this somehow, right?" his best friend, Luhan, suggested over the phone.

Luhan was someone that he met through his parents, and since they were partners in business and Luhan had the same views about the boring profession, it allowed them to bond quickly.

They've been friends for four years now, and Luhan knew all about Baekhyun's life and the same could be said vice-versa.

"Sure," Baekhyun agreed without hesitation. "How about this afternoon? We could meet up downtown."

Luhan confirmed the time and they set a place, giving Baekhyun the chance to change out of his suffocating suit.

Soon after, Baekhyun made his way downtown, getting to the heart of the city. Since high school, the place had changed and some of Baekhyun's favourite places were closed down and replaced with other things, leaving him to reminisce the old times.

"Baekhyun!" He heard someone call, and he quickly turned around. "It's been such a long time since I've seen you personally!" Luhan said as he ran up to Baekhyun, "Damn, you're really rocking the hair. What is it, lavender-coloured?" 

Seeing Luhan made Baekhyun immediately happier, something that his past friends could never do even if Baekhyun tried to fake it.

Baekhyun laughed, "I don't know. I asked for a nice shade of purple and they gave me this one. I do have to admit, it's not terrible."

They strolled through the streets together, glad that they met after such a long time. They talked about random things that have been happening in their lives and Baekhyun felt like a weight was getting lifted off of him, smiling easily and enjoying Luhan's presence as usual.

"Have you heard of the new restaurant that opened just across the street? Viva Polo?" Luhan questioned as he pointed to the said restaurant.

Baekhyun pursed his lips as he shook his head. "Nope, but it looks interesting."

On the outside, it looked plain, dull even, but on the inside, it was all incredibly modern with fluorescent and cool-looking lights, the seating looking terribly comfy. Baekhyun marveled at the restaurant and read the sign that it was actually half bar, half restaurant.

They were seated at a corner table by someone who looked familiar, his expressive eyes and his chubby cheeks difficult to forget.

Baekhyun didn't know who it was until he read the name tag, and he nearly left the restaurant when he realized that this was Kim Minseok.

The pastel-haired man wanted to tell Luhan about who this person was, but the moment he saw the look in Luhan's eyes he refrained himself. He had seen that look in Luhan's eyes before and he recognized that Luhan was interested in him.

Minseok walked away after giving them cups of water, and both of them watched as he greeted other people similarly, doing his job efficiently.

"Was his name Minseok?" Luhan asked nearly dreamily and Baekhyun snorted at his friend.

"Yup."

He would've told Luhan that Minseok was one of his old "friends", but it had been ten years, and what if Minseok changed?

It was at that moment that someone else appeared at their table, dressed in the staff clothes with a notebook in hand. He was charming, and he already fit one of the criteria that Baekhyun had ever since high school—him being tall.

"Yifan!" Luhan greeted when he saw who was approaching, "I didn't know that you worked here!"

Baekhyun looked over his figure, unable to stop himself from searching for imperfections and everything else. He actually kind of looked like his new neighbour, but a taller, thinner version.

"You never asked," the waiter answered and Baekhyun laughed to himself at Luhan's expression. 

When Yifan realized that he was supposed to be doing his job, he gave Baekhyun a smile to introduce the place, his eyes giving Baekhyun a once-over. "Welcome to Viva Polo, here are the menus."

Baekhyun decided then that he didn't like the guy's voice, and the smile he gave Baekhyun was a little unsettling.

Yifan left moments later and Baekhyun let his gaze trail after him, watching as he conversed with other people with a straight face.

"I see that look in your eyes. You want his number, don't you? You scheming fiend," Luhan scolded and Baekhyun shrugged.

Baekhyun's past ten years weren't spent entirely alone, and he had been casually dating people here and there. Most of his partners were boring and dull, even if they were attractive and usually wealthy.

Luhan knew of his mission to find someone who fit his tastes and he usually helped him out, this time not being an exception.

"I barely even know him yet, Luhan. Plus, his voice is a little weird," Baekhyun said as he folded the napkins.

"Oh come on, give him a break. I've known him since I was small and he's not that bad," Luhan replied, giving Baekhyun an encouraging smile.

Baekhyun didn't answer, thinking about this Yifan guy. He gave Baekhyun weird vibes.

Minutes later, the man in question was back, asking both of them what they wanted that evening.

"Whatever is good," Baekhyun replied, not knowing the place.

The taller smirked, thinking that Baekhyun was flirting with him and attempting to find out what kind of food he liked.

"Then... I suggest you get the steak. Our chef-manager is amazing at cooking," he complimented and Baekhyun nodded, a strand of his purple hair invading his face. "He also works the bar sometimes, he's incredibly talented."

"Okay, I'll get the steak, then."

"What's your name?" he asked and Baekhyun realized that the guy was more interested in him than he originally thought.

"Baekhyun."

"I like your name. You can call me Kris by the way," he said with a wink, and Baekhyun took a sip out of his drink to refrain saying "tacky".

Kris left to get their food and when—luckily—Minseok came and dropped off their food, Baekhyun was already feasting on the steak like it was his last meal. Even if he was really bad at flirting, Kris hadn't been lying. Whoever made the food was a genius.

Luhan, on the other hand, was watching the short waiter with sparkles in his eyes.

"If you like him so much, ask him out on a date," Baekhyun shrugged.

"Shut up, you haven't been able to ask Yifan out yet, and we've known them for the same amount of time."

"Well I'm sorry, I have a little pride. He's going to have to ask me out. I might not even accept, though."

Luhan stabbed his duck with his fork, resisting to do the same to Baekhyun.

"Everything okay here?"

Baekhyun turned and saw Kris, realizing that he was visiting their table more than a waiter usually did. He gave him a polite smile and he nodded, the other nodding back. "After having steak, drinking some wine is highly recommended. We have top quality choices over there at the bar."

"That seems like a good idea," Baekhyun mentioned, only talking with Kris to avoid any awkward silence.

"Would you like to get a drink with me?" Kris asked, and Baekhyun had to find an excuse the fastest he had ever needed to, now wanting to spend an uncomfortable evening with one of Luhan's old friends (who was constantly hitting on him).

"You're still working, you should probably tend to other customers," Baekhyun replied as casually as he could, congratulating himself for sounding convincing.

"Ah, so you're a sensible guy. Maybe next time then," he smiled cheekily and Baekhyun's eye twitched. There was something about this guy that Baekhyun didn't like. Maybe it was that he was way too easy.

When they were both finished with their food, Baekhyun dragged Luhan to the bar, honestly in the mood for some wine.

"Be right back, gotta take a piss," Luhan said and Baekhyun punched his arm.

"More like 'ask out that waiter'."

Luhan didn't reply as he went in the opposite direction of the washroom sign, and Baekhyun sniggered at Luhan's behaviour.

Soon after, he sighed as he thought about his experience here. The restaurant was good; the interior design and the menu were exceptional, though the waiters could've been chosen better.

He was swimming in his thoughts, not noticing the kitchen door opening until he saw someone else.

A tall man walked out, drying his hands on a cloth before lightly fixing his perfectly styled hair. He was wearing his chef clothes but —, they looked so good on him. The simple white, long sleeved shirt fit him perfectly, accentuating his perfect biceps, and the sleeves were folded until the bend of his arm, revealing one hell of a forearm. His long legs were clad in fitting black jeans, his white shirt tucked neatly underneath the waistline.

Baekhyun mentally cursed as the man tossed the cloth onto the counter, his eyes locking onto Baekhyun's.

Those dark eyes were captivating, and Baekhyun couldn't even take his eyes off of him to appreciate the rest of his features.

When the man smiled at him, Baekhyun snapped out of his trance, giving a shy smile back.

The guy was tall, maybe not as tall as Kris but still tall, and his nose was perfect, not flat nor sharp. Paired with his doe eyes, he seemed as if he could pass as someone younger than him, but Baekhyun just thought that it was hot.

"What can I get for you today?" he asked, and Baekhyun nearly melted at his voice.

His voice has to be illegal, there's no way that it can sound that good.

"I—Um..." Baekhyun cleared his throat, unable to form correct sentences in front of this man. "What do you have?"

"Well," he began, and he listed off many drinks that Baekhyun didn't even know existed. Granted, he was barely paying attention, only squirming in his seat as the man's voice gave him shivers down his back.

The chef's voice was probably ripped straight out of Baekhyun's fantasies, deep and smooth and god, Baekhyun would do anything to hear him every day.

He abruptly stopped, and Baekhyun once again snapped out of whatever spell the man had put on him. When he chuckled, Baekhyun flushed.

"You weren't even listening, were you, Baekhyun?" he asked, and Baekhyun's eyes widened when the man knew his name.

"You know me?" Baekhyun questioned, feeling prideful that this guy knew him. That only meant he was that much closer to scoring a date with him.

"Why wouldn't I know Byun Baekhyun?" he answered as he casually went on and started arranging some cups.

"Well... I guess I am known around here."

The bar tender laughed, and Baekhyun couldn't help but feel that he looked a little familiar, mostly when he laughed. His smile was wide (but not at all unattractive) and when he laughed his eye twitched, forcing Baekhyun to have to hold back a smile.

"Mhm," the taller hummed, "You haven't changed at all, I see."

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. Have they met before? Surely, he would remember someone as attractive as this guy.

"I'm sorry I don't... Have we met...?" Baekhyun asked, and the other just ran his hand through his black locks, managing to look ing perfect without even trying.

He leaned his forearms on the counter, getting close to Baekhyun and making his breath hitch.

"Who do you think I am?" the dark-haired man asked, tilting his head to the side.

It wasn't a question to trick Baekhyun, the man was simply curious if the shorter could remember him just as much as he remembered Baekhyun.

Baekhyun opened and closed his mouth three times, completely clueless. This couldn't be anyone from high school, Baekhyun argued with himself, trying hard to remember who he was.

When it was evident that Baekhyun didn't know who he was, the giant leaned back and started casually cleaning the counter again.

"Park Chanyeol," he introduced himself.

Park Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol...

It didn't take long for the memories to come rushing back, escaping from the figurative box that Baekhyun had shoved them in. He remembered the caramel hair, the braces, and the funny glasses, he remembered the soft lips and cute eyes and most of all, he remembered his voice, which had changed so drastically.

What the .

With other people, Baekhyun would've had to think for a little longer before he remembered them. But with Chanyeol, it took less than two seconds. The name was something that was deeply embedded in his mind, and his heart clenched unexpectedly.

Baekhyun looked at him again, at his perfect smile, the disappearance of his glasses, the colour of his hair, his height—

Holy , Park Chanyeol.

"It's nice seeing you again, Baekhyun."