II : IX

Want You Back

PART TWO
"I  W A N T  Y O U"
II : IX

Baekhyun was nervous.

After all, it wasn't considered a normal thing to break up with your boyfriend at his workplace for his boss, who was also your ex-boyfriend.

Baekhyun bit his lip as he replayed the scenario through his mind over and over again, making sure that his breakup plan was the least damaging as possible. According to Luhan, Kris didn't mind abrupt things (unless he truly liked the person a lot) so that was exactly what Baekhyun was going to do. Break up with him abruptly and quickly.

There was going to be no fancy "goodbye date"; Baekhyun was going to talk to him after his work was over without beating around the bush, since Kris also apparently didn't like to be pitied with some high-class restaurant food.

He unclasped his hands nervously, wiping his palms on his jeans and wondering why the entire situation made him so anxious. He had never been like this with any other of his partners—but maybe it was because Kris was actually a good guy, unlike the other s Baekhyun had the unfortunate luck to date.

Autumn was just around the corner and the shadows covered the streets earlier than usual, the weather consequently becoming colder in the evenings. Baekhyun waited outside of Viva Polo, wondering why he hadn't just stayed in his car to spot out Kris as he left.

Kris' shift usually went until 7 PM and it was currently 6:45 PM, meaning that he only had a few more minutes before he could finish his business and leave. He heard the sound of heels clicking on the floor and he turned, spotting Wendy at the same time as she spotted him.

"Oh hey," she greeted casually and Baekhyun did the same, wondering why she stopped instead of entering the restaurant like he knew she had planned. "Waiting for Kris?"

Baekhyun nodded and he immediately felt awkward standing there, mostly because he knew that Wendy knew that he and Chanyeol had been doing things in the kitchen last time. She didn't seem to be bothered, asking Baekhyun what he did and where he worked.

They talked for a little while, the male a little confused as to why Wendy was so insistent on knowing more about him. On the way, Baekhyun figured out that Wendy worked at Luhan's company as the accounting manager, which made sense since she could afford his apartment's penthouse. He wondered why Luhan never mentioned her before.

Before he knew it, Kris came walking out the door and he nearly walked by the two, if not for Baekhyun calling him.

"I'll leave now," Wendy said, saying goodbye with a small salute.

Once she was in the restaurant and there weren't many people around them, Baekhyun was starting to feel even more nervous, knowing that in just a few seconds he would break up with Kris.

"Hey Kris..." Baekhyun trailed off and the taller raised an eyebrow, already suspicious of Baekhyun's awkward tone. Before he could question it any further, the shorter spoke up again. "I think we should break up."

Kris' eyes widened surprised at this quick turn of events. He didn't remember doing anything wrong, so that could only mean one thing. "There's someone else, isn't there?"

When Baekhyun nodded meekly, Kris sighed, distraught but trying hard not to show it. After all, he was the "cold city guy".

"Is it my boss?" he suddenly questioned, and Baekhyun was glad that he wasn't drinking anything or it would've spilled with the way his jaw dropped.

"How—what..." Once he composed himself and made sure he wasn't some blubbering mess, he cleared his throat. "Yeah... How did you know?"

"Well, Luhan kind of warned me that you were only using me as a distraction and I was okay with that I guess, since I was using you too," he admitted without any guilt and Baekhyun nodded, processing this information slowly. "And after seeing you stare Chanyeol's way the entirety of the Viva Polo get-together, I kinda already knew."

Baekhyun groaned, wondering when he had become so obvious in what he was thinking. My dad did not raise me this way. But it was to be expected, since Chanyeol singlehandedly flipped everything in his life back in senior year, so it made sense that he could do it again.

"So I guess this is the end?" Baekhyun asked and Kris shrugged. He didn't seem too bothered and Baekhyun was glad that things had gone extremely smoothly compared to what he had expected. "Hey, if you still need a distraction or whatever, I think I've got the perfect person for you."

Kris laughed without any humour but stared at Baekhyun with a tinge of interest in his eyes. "And who is that?"

"Huang Zitao."

~

It was quite a funny turn of events but Baekhyun should've expected it from Luhan, his over-eccentric and idiotic friend.

"We are not going to see Annabelle 2. I refuse," Baekhyun declared as they stood in front of the ticket selling counter, looking over at all the movie choices.

"What, are you scared?" Wendy taunted and Baekhyun groaned.

Curse Luhan.

Upon finding out that Wendy, his coworker and acquaintance, was the girl Baekhyun thought was Chanyeol's girlfriend, Luhan wasted no time and the next time he saw the girl, he invited her out on a "double date but not really".

It would really just be two coworkers and their best friends who had a past together and possibly a future—shoved into a movie theatre while watching some trashy rom-com (at least, Baekhyun wished that it was a rom-com. He didn't want horror).

He couldn't believe that Chanyeol had actually agreed to come, his dark hair styled up attractively as he stood there in dark fitting jeans, his torso adorning a white shirt under his zip-up jacket.

The two hadn't talked about where their relationship would go after Baekhyun broke up with Kris three days ago, but the short male figured that they could talk about it some other time, when Baekhyun wasn't freaking out about a horror movie that he might have to watch.

Baekhyun bit his lip and told himself to stop staring, even when those pants really accentuated his long legs.

"Don't worry," Chanyeol spoke up in that deep voice of his, snapping Baekhyun out of his thoughts and catching the shorter's gaze in his own. "I'll protect you."

Baekhyun's heart sped up and he honestly felt like some school girl but who could blame him? This was Park Chanyeol for 's sake.

Wendy smacked Chanyeol on the arm and the giant laughed, obviously indicating that he had been joking when he said those words.

But Baekhyun, on the other hand, was sold.

"F–Fine," Baekhyun said. "Let's watch that damn movie."

"Hell yes!" Luhan exclaimed, going up to the counter to buy everyone their tickets.

While glaring at the back of Luhan's head and swearing to haunt him in his sleep, he overheard Wendy and Chanyeol talking about how excited they were for the movie. Baekhyun inwardly sighed. He couldn't relate.

Sure, he said that he wasn't afraid of ghosts anymore but that was only because he avoided watching anything and everything about them! He was scared but he just didn't remember what the hell he was scared of.

He would now be reminded.

He was sure that both Luhan and Wendy were out to get him, else Luhan wouldn't have planned this and Wendy wouldn't have exclaimed her like for horror. He felt like curling up into Chanyeol's arms and disappearing since he was the only one who hadn't betrayed him (and Baekhyun also had an obsession with his arms but he wouldn't ever admit to that).

Luhan came back with the tickets a few minutes later, along with a pass to get a large popcorn and medium drink. They got all their stuff and Baekhyun bought candy for himself, putting some extra butter onto his popcorn to distract himself and put off his oncoming death. He couldn't believe that he had to watch a horror movie, and in the dark too.

They made their way to Theatre 4 and Baekhyun winced when he saw the poster for the movie, already mentally crying as he saw the creepy graphics.

He was so done for.

Say goodbye to your reputation, Baekhyun said to himself, knowing that he was legitimately going to jump at every jump-scare (he truly lived up to the name) and he may even let out some unmanly yelps that he'd have to deny for the rest of his life.

They entered the theatre and Baekhyun felt a little reassured that the lights were still on, though dimmed and certain to turn off when the commercials were done. The theatre was surprisingly packed considering it was one of the last days of showing, and they made it just in time to get a seat near the front in the middle.

Baekhyun sat down with Luhan on his right, Chanyeol on his left with Wendy next to the giant. He sat there, tense as he counted down the commercials. He usually counted them down in impatience for the movie to start, but now he wished for everything but.

As the movie theatre's own commercial finished, Baekhyun noticed with dread that the lights were slowly turning off; a timer before Baekhyun would have to face the worst thing in his life.

Why dolls? Was his last thought before the movie started.

~

Baekhyun heard whispers behind them, knowing that the people were talking about how loud they were even when it wasn't even that scary. They were probably seen as scaredy-cats but honestly, Baekhyun couldn't care anymore.

It was way too funny.

Every time something minor would happen, Chanyeol would jump in his seat and make a sound that Baekhyun couldn't even believe he could make, considering his deep voice and all. Luhan and Wendy were holding in their laughter the entire time and so was Baekhyun, who could barely even find the movie scary with the way Chanyeol freaked out at every eery noise.

It was the funniest when something scary was obviously going to happen and Chanyeol would mutter profanities under his breath, covering his eyes and peeking through his fingers before yelling when the scary thing did happen.

Baekhyun found the movie the best experience he had ever had with a horror movie, having only flinched at some scenes whereas he was laughing at Chanyeol for the rest. It was weird how when someone was more scared than you, you felt invincible.

Annabelle 2 ended with Baekhyun having to wipe a few tears from his eyes because Chanyeol had said extremely loudly "Thank god that's over," and the entire place had burst into laughter, the other viewers obviously just as amused as Baekhyun.

They left the theatre and Baekhyun realized that the movie didn't have that bad of a plot, since this time he wasn't focused on the scary things and just on the movie itself.

"I'm gonna go to the washroom," Luhan said and Baekhyun followed him, leaving Chanyeol and Wendy standing there, staring after them.

When they were out of earshot, Wendy turned over to Chanyeol.

"'The hell was that?" she questioned though there was a grin on her face, "You're never scared of horror movies. Hell, you love them!"

Chanyeol shoved his hands into his pockets, shrugging as he stared at Baekhyun's retreating figure. "When someone's more afraid of something, you usually feel less scared."

Wendy pondered the thought for a second, her gaze following Chanyeol's before she caught on, smacking Chanyeol on the back of his head. "So you embarrassed yourself the entire time just for that Byun kid not to be scared?"

Chanyeol smiled without taking his eyes off of "that Byun kid", thinking about the small yelps that Baekhyun had let out during the film that Chanyeol had masked with his louder yells. "I did say that I would protect him."

"You're ing whipped."