I : III

Want You Back

PART ONE
"I R E G R E T Y O U"
I : III

"Ow! !" Baekhyun exclaimed, rubbing his head as he sat up slowly.

He looked at his surroundings and saw that he wasn't in his bed anymore, rather he was on the ground. The blankets were tangled at his feet and the first rays of sunshine were peeking through his curtains, telling him exactly what had just happened.

Baekhyun groaned, laying back down on the ground and sighing.

Not only did he make weird, overly ual noises in his sleep, he also moved around way too much. It was actually a normal occurrence that Baekhyun woke up on the ground, and more often than not, he could go straight back to sleep.

But that day was weird, because he couldn't sleep even when he had an entire hour left.

The only thing he could do was close his eyes, his thoughts still completely awake. It was a miracle that he had even slept yesterday.

He could only think about one thing, and well, even if it hurt his ego to admit it, that one thing was Chanyeol.

That guy was weird.

He wasn't supposed to make Baekhyun feel nervous, nor excited, nor special... yet here he was.

After ten minutes of doing nothing, Baekhyun decided that he should wake up anyways. It was always good to have some extra time getting ready.

He walked leisurely to his bathroom, and for the first time in a month, he saw his mom in the morning, looking completely different from her usual appearance.

"Baekhyun? Am I dreaming or something? Why are you out of bed this early?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, scoffing, "Boy problems, that's why."

His mom let out a shrill laugh and shook her head, making her way to the washroom she shared with her husband.

Baekhyun entered the smaller washroom, also known as Baekhyun and Baekbeom's washroom.

As he was brushing his teeth and getting ready in general, he rethought the entirety of yesterday, wondering why he reacted that way.

He shook his head and decided not to dwell too much on the mess-ups that happened at the café—it was bound to happen sometime.

The moment he looked at eyeliner he scoffed, remembering what kind of troubles it brought to him not more than 24 hours ago. Anyone normal would've dropped the eyeliner and thought: well, if so-and-so thought I was cute without it, why would I wear it?

But Baekhyun's wasn't such a simpleton.

Unfortunately—or fortunately—Chanyeol's opinion didn't equal that of the entire school.

He wasn't just going to drop his reputation just because Chanyeol said he looked cute...

Okay, well, he did contemplate it yesterday night, but that didn't count!

All that counted was that he wasn't going to reveal a part of himself that he had hidden three years ago, just because of one boy.

Baekhyun finished putting on his needed makeup and clothes, deciding that he could arrive at school early that day.

At that point, his mother had already left and his dad was still snoring, because being the CEO of his company = CEO of his sleeping schedules.

Baekhyun made sure that he had everything he needed before he grabbed his car keys, entering his Mercedes and blasting the radio. For some reason, he was in a good mood that morning.

The ride to school could only be described as uneventful, and when he pulled up into his destined parking spot, he saw the person whom he thought he'd only see at lunch.

Quickly cutting the engine, Baekhyun unbuckled his seatbelt and threw his backpack over his shoulder, making his way over to the funny frame.

"Hey," Baekhyun greeted as he fell into step beside Chanyeol. They were nearly the same height, so it wasn't such a hard thing to keep up with him—even if he seemed to start walking faster when he noticed that Baekhyun was beside him. "Chanyeol?" Baekhyun called, checking to see if he was wearing earphones.

He wasn't.

"Hi," Chanyeol replied, a lot more monotonous than he usually was.

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun asked again, completely confused because of this personality flip. Chanyeol was usually the talkative one, not him.

"Walking," he replied, pulling his backpack a little higher up.

"Oh."

The silence that followed them through the doors of the school was deafening, and in most cases, Baekhyun would've waited for the other person to start a conversation. He believed that if the other person didn't want to put any effort into talking to him, why should he?

But in this case, he felt as if he'd never get Chanyeol to talk first. He was being oddly distant.

When they were turning the corner, Baekhyun tried to talk, only to be cut off. "Are you—"

"Look, I have to go to the library, okay? I'll see you sometime."

Baekhyun stopped following Chanyeol and watched as he quickly walked away from the ravenette, leaving him utterly confused.

"What the hell?"

~

It bothered Baekhyun.

He shouldn't be bothered—he shouldn't be thinking about Chanyeol for the entirety of the morning, but alas, he just couldn't stop thinking about how weird everything was.

Baekhyun doodled on his notebook, drawing some type of animal into the margins of his page.

Did he do something?

More importantly, why was he worried that he did something?

When he realized that he was drawing a ferret with hipster glasses, he immediately stabbed the drawing with the tip of his pencil, scaring the girl beside him and making Jongdae stare at him weirdly.

He scribbled out the drawing and set his pencil down, staring at the clock and sighing rather loudly when he noted 30 minutes until the end of class.

"Do you have a problem, Baekhyun?" the teacher asked and Baekhyun took his gaze off of the digital clock, staring at his teacher.

"Yes, I do."

~

He didn't expect to have to stay back in class for 20 minutes (AKA a third of his lunch break,  you, teacher,) but when he was out, he was grabbing his lunch, making his way to the cafeteria.

He spotted Chanyeol easily, making his way over to the other and sitting down without an invitation.

The entirety of his "thinking time," as the teacher described it, was spent thinking about what he was supposed to do the next time he saw Chanyeol. He figured that he should just find out what was wrong with the other, instead of beating around the bush like most couples did nowadays.

He settled into the chair and put both of his elbows on the table, his chin in his hands.

"Did I do something?" Baekhyun asked as he stared straight into Chanyeol's eyes.

During this brief period in time, he noticed that Chanyeol had rather long eyelashes, and that without his glasses, he could've actually been kind of... attractive. He pushed the thought to the back of his mind and instead tried his best puppy eyes, wondering if the charm worked as well on Chanyeol as it did on others.

Chanyeol seemed to be contemplating whether or not he should tell Baekhyun, and after a few seconds of staring at Baekhyun's pleading face, he sighed.

"Well, I mean, you weren't exactly a gem yesterday either."

Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed as he processed Chanyeol's words, watching as the orange (blond? caramel?) haired-boy ate his sandwich.

"You mean like... at the café?" Baekhyun questioned, and when he got a nod from Chanyeol, he was even more confused.

He was quite a gem at the café yesterday, unless Chanyeol was talking about—

"Ditching someone around a quarter through a date isn't really the right way to do things." He placed his sandwich down and stared at Baekhyun with an eyebrow raised. "Shouldn't you know this? Since you date so many people?"

"Well... um..." Baekhyun trailed off, leaning back in his chair when he felt uncomfortable in his previous position. He tried to make it seem like it was no big deal, but for someone of his status, it kind of was. "You're my first boyfriend."

Chanyeol contemplated Baekhyun's words for a second before he deemed them stupid, scoffing.

"Haha," he said dryly, "Very funny."

"No... seriously," Baekhyun looked away from Chanyeol's gaze, staring instead at his hands on the surface of the table . "I've never dated anyone before..."

Anddd, this is the beginning of the cliché books that I always read.

The pregnant moment of silence was finally broken when Chanyeol spoke up again, seeming less irritated and more confused. 

"So... yesterday you left because... I was your first date?" he questioned, trying hard to piece everything together.

Baekhyun shook his head and he sighed, slumping in his chair. "No, I..."

He gnawed on his bottom lip as Chanyeol urged him to continue, growing more curious every second that passed.

"Well... I freaked out because I'veneverbeencalledcutebefore..."

"What?"

"Don't make me repeat myself!"

"No but seriously, what did you say?"

"I'll only tell you if you get that -eating grin off of your face! I swear to god all of you in this school are the same!"

"What, everyone here likes doing homework more than going to parties?"

"No," Baekhyun groaned, tempted to kick Chanyeol's shin from under the table.

To distract himself from Chanyeol, he pulled out his food, shoving a spoon of bland rice into his mouth in childish anger.

"You need to accept people's compliments sometimes, you know."

Baekhyun swallowed the food in his mouth, rolling his eyes. "I get compliments every day, just not... those types."

"Well get used to them, because I'm a man of many words."

Baekhyun laughed, shaking his head in disbelief.

This time, the silence around them was bearable—better yet, it was actually comfortable. Baekhyun didn't find Chanyeol weirdly annoying nor did he find him an embarrassment to human kind.

While Baekhyun was eating, Chanyeol was watching. After a few seconds, he leaned forward, similarly to Baekhyun earlier. He placed his chin in his hand as Baekhyun took a drink of his water, glaring at Chanyeol when he noticed that he was staring at him intently.

"What?" Baekhyun asked, wondering if he had something on his face.

"Nothing."

"Bullshi—"

"You're cute."

It was amusing to see Baekhyun so flustered, mostly with the way that the tips of his ears would become red, his gaze immediately going elsewhere.

Baekhyun was one second away from making up another crappy excuse and leaving the table— until he remembered how that had made Chanyeol upset earlier.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, had expected Baekhyun to go right back to insulting him in some way... but instead, Baekhyun just said a very quiet, and undeniably adorable:

"Thank you..."

When Chanyeol gave him a huge grin, Baekhyun found himself thinking that maybe this whole "dating experience" hadn't been a bad idea after all—

That maybe... he could get used to this.


oOPS? I haven't updated in like years?

Anyway um

Not even sure anyone's reading this book but whatever?? I'll just publish chapters anyway??