The Not So Ugly Duckling

The Not So Ugly Duckling

Triple update 3/3!


“Stooooppppp, are you a head researcher or a hairstylist?” Youngjae swatted Himchan’s hands away from his hair. 

“Well aren’t you a grumpy cat,” Himchan rolled his eyes and scoffed. “Are you mad that Daehyun isn’t here to see you all prettied up?” 

Youngjae glared and punched Himchan lightly on the arm before adjusting his dark gray blue suit. Today was the day. The day where he would present and like hell he would look like a slob. Finally the normal Yoo Youngjae was back. His jet black hair was styled up, his glasses tossed aside, his clothes fit him so well he looked like he walked off Paris Fashion Week. His dark sultry eyes now free for all to see, his pink sausage lips were pressed into a tight line. He would be lying if he said that he wasn’t a little miffed that Daehyun wasn’t there to cheer him on, but he understood that Daehyun had work to do. Important work. More important than cheering his friend, he guessed. Okay, he was a little hurt. The only good thing that came out of it was that Youngjae could dress normally without the worry of Daehyun. Youngjae would admit that he loved Daehyun and had affections for the man, but that did not mean what so ever that he would allow Daehyun to jump on him and have his way. And knowing his penchant for pretty things, Daehyun would do exactly that. But it wouldn’t be because he loved or wanted a relationship with Youngjae. It was because Youngjae was a nice peice of . 

“The crowd is all yours,” Zelo smiled as he peeked through the curtain. “Good luck hyung!” 

Youngjae took another deep breath. Opening the curtain to be presented by a crowd of reporters and bombarded Youngjae with a crowd of questions. Youngjae’s eyes squint at the sudden presence of bright light. God he hated this. He hated these vultures attacking him with incoherent words and questions. He hated feeling as if he was pushed up against the wall. He hated this, but he refused to let him overwhelm him. Too many people were supporting him. Himchan. Zelo. Jongup. Yongguk. Daehyun. His friends had his back and he would not let them down. He would not let himself down. 

“Hello ladies and gentleman,” Woojin stood beside Youngjae. A business polite smile painted across his lips. “I’d like to present to you the lead researcher of our upcoming medication, Mr. Yoo Youngjae,” The crowd enclosed upon Youngjae. “You clean up nicely, Mr. Yoo.” Woojin whispered in the younger’s ear, Youngjae gagging in disgust. 

Youngjae snorted at Woojin. Like he would let this prick make him nervous. Youngjae puffed out his chest and began talking, going through the powerpoint presentation with ease. Noting how the medical board was absorbing all his words and scrutinizing every one of them. How the press were frantically writing every word he said as if they were from the Holy Bible itself. His flow was going well, everything seemed to be going well. His confidence was swelling. His rapid heart beating outside of his chest, but the smiles on Himchan’s and Zelo’s faces soothing his fears and insecurity. But he truly wished Daehyun was there. That smug look on his face would make Youngjae feel at ease. His beautiful smile, making a smile grow on his own face. He flipped to the next slide of his presentation, ready to continue his shpeel, only to find the slide blank.

Youngjae’s eyes went wide with shock. He knew he planned and set up his powerpoint ahead of time. He double checked. Tripled check. Hell he would have guarded the powerpoint projector if it didn’t make him look insane. But now it was gone. The slide detailing his results, findings, all his data. Gone. Without his proof, his words were mere fluff. All talk and no bite. Youngjae’s mind went blank. His eyebrows furrowed and the press was looking at him confused. The medical board giving Youngjae a hardened glare. He felt sweat began to form on his forehead, his rapid heart beat began to increase again. Youngjae glanced to see a smug look on Woojin’s face at Youngjae’s panic. Youngjae glared at said man. Knowing exactly where his missing slide went. 


Daehyun was silent during the ride to the airport. His mind distracted. Usually at this time he would be thinking about what strategy he would use to win over the client. Go over the client’s recent works and accomplishments. Brush up on the client’s native language. But he was doing none of that. Instead his mind was focused on Youngjae. The slight pout the younger gave when Daehyun informed him his trip. Daehyun felt bad. He felt guilty. And Daehyun never felt guilty. He had done some very questionable things in his life. Slept with some very questionable people, but never in his life had he ever felt guilty about it. But here he was, feeling terrible for missing the chipmunk’s press conference. And since the press conference was private, he couldn’t even monitor what was going on on the TV.

“Jongup…” Daehyun tapped the other on the shoulder, Jongup glancing back at Daehyun quickly since he didn’t wish to keep his eyes off the road for very long. “Drop me off at Jung Corp. for a moment.”

“Daehyun, our flights is 30 minutes. Are you really thinking what I think you’re thinking?” Jongup sighed, knowing the upcoming trouble that was approaching. 

“It doesn’t hurt to at least show my face at the press conference right? I mean who wouldn’t want to see this beautiful mug,” Daehyun struck a pose, causing the other to roll his eyes. “I’ll just show my face for a few seconds and we’ll head out. Promise.”

“For an ace businessman, you’re not acting like one.” Jongup snorted, redirecting the car towards the direction of Jung Corp.

“But I am acting like a friend.” Daehyun grinned, anticipating the chipmunk’s reaction at his sudden presence.


Daehyun peeked open the door to the conference, sneaking in undetected. Jongup following after him. Daehyun looked around to see Himchan and Zelo on the sides. Their faces contorted in anger and panic. The anger directed towards Woojin who had a cocky smile on his face. Daehyun glared at him, not liking the look on his face. That only meant trouble. Daehyun turned his attention to the presenter, expected to see his wrangled chipmunk with his bedhead and disgusting sweaters. Daehyun was stunned to see the young man on stage. The beautiful young man on stage. His chipmunk on stage. 

Youngjae’s soft, flawless skin, his sultry yet cute doe eyes, and his pink sausage lips. The neat dark gray blue suit that hugged his lean yet muscular frame. His hair now neatly combed to the side hair, revealing his earrings, instead of mishandled like a bird’s nest. Daehyun couldn’t believe that was his chipmunk. He was so pretty, so Daehyun’s type. He wondered how he could have missed such a hidden gem. But despite the big reveal, nothing in Daehyun’s heart changed. Yes, Youngjae was more physically appealing to him, which made him want to f**k him more. But it didn’t make him love him more. Because the chipmunk couldn’t make him love him anymore. If he did, he’d think his heart would swell to much for his affection towards the chipmunk that it would become physically painful. Though the physical change was an added bonus. And God, did Youngjae look y. God, how Daehyun just wanted to rip that suit off his body and make him moa-his mind was trailing towards the gutter… He adored his sassy, snarky, cute chipmunk. Whether he was an ugly duckling or a beautiful swan. Either one, it was still his Youngjae. 

But Daehyun’s admiration at the other’s beauty faltered when he noticed the distressed look on Youngjae’s face. The panic in his trembling eyes. Daehyun glanced up to see the blank powerpoint and pieced the entire situation together. Knowing full well that Woojin had once again messed with Youngjae. Woojin wanted to hurt Youngjae, with full intentions of Daehyun being hurt in the process. He wanted to ruin Jung Pharma. One of Daehyun’s largest and most successful departments. He wanted to ruin Daehyun. 

“Uh...um….I…” Youngjae was fumbling with his words, having no clue how to salvage the situation. He was already nervous. Terrified of this entire situation. But now he wasn’t terrified. Oh no, he was now emotionally scarred and would probably have PTSD after this. Youngjae could feel a slight tug on his arm as Woojin pulled Youngjae slightly back. A sinister grin on his lips.

“I must apologize for Mr. Yoo and the presentation. It seems that we must end this press-”

“Actually, I would like to thank all of you for coming and would love to end this press meeting with our findings,” Youngjae stared at Daehyun stunned as the latter basically pushed Woojin aside, bringing Youngjae to the front. Youngjae was frozen. Stunned. Youngjae had completely forgotten that Daehyun was seeing him in all his Youngjae glory. No ugly mask to hide behind. But at this moment he didn’t care. What was Daehyun doing here? Had the man gone mad!? He was missing his flight! Missing his important business deal! Daehyun glanced down and flashed Youngjae a bright and reassuring smile, placing his hand behind Youngjae’s back. “As you can see from Dr. Yoo’s results,” Suddenly the data popped up on the screen, causing Youngjae to be even more confused and flustered. Youngjae looked into the crowd to see Zelo and Jongup off to the side with a computer in hand connecting it to the projector.

 “I read over your research report the night before so I still have the file,” Daehyun whispered into Youngjae’s ear, explaining to the boy how he had had the result data in the first place. 

“You know what, I think it would be best that Dr. Yoo explain the science to you. I’ll just stand here and look pretty for you all.” Daehyun grinned, filling the room with laughter. The tension in the air dissipating. 

“Thank you…” Youngjae mouthed, a slight blush creeping on his cheeks. 

“Go get em, chipmunk.” Daehyun grinned, lightly punching the other on the shoulder. He glanced back at Woojin, giving him the finger with a smug grin. This was his chipmunk. And he was not going to let no snot nose, momma’s boy hurt his chipmunk. 


“What are you doing here!?” Youngjae was in complete in utter shock, wanting to bombard Daehyun with thousands of questions once they were behind the curtain. 

“To save my chipmunk apparently.” Daehyun smirked, ruffling the other’s hair and taking in the other’s appearance now that he was closer. Now his sausage lips were even more delectable to Daehyun than they were before, using every fiber of his being to not touch them. 

“Are you crazy!?” Youngjae flailed his hands up in the air. He couldn’t comprehend what the hell Daehyun was thinking?! Had the man been conked so hard on the head he lost all common sense!? He left a client. Left an important multimillion dollar client! “What the hell are you thinking! You left your client and possible ruined your business deal!!” Youngjae wanted to shriek, the other boys slowly approaching the two of them when they noticed the panic.

Daehyun was starting to get annoyed. He had expected Youngjae to be ecstatic to see him. To see Daehyun’s pretty mug supporting him and saving him. Instead he seemed to have a flabbergasted Youngjae that was angrily bombarding him with questions. Daehyun was about to open his mouth to defend himself when his phone rang with all too familiar and unwanted ringtone. “Father?”

“WHAT THE F**K WERE YOU THINKING!?” Daehyun cringed at the his father’s tone, loud enough for both him and Youngjae to hear. “Woojin told me you didn’t get on the plane to meet the client in Birmingham! Do you understand how difficult it is to get a meeting with her!? Do you understand how much she is worth!?” Daehyun shut his eyes tight, not being able to retort his father’s words. He knew he f**ked up. He knew he may have cost Jung Corp. a huge business deal. He knew all of this, but he didn’t regret his decision. “God! I had hoped you weren’t a f**kin idiot like your damn mother! But you’ve just proven to me that you are as useless and pathetic as her!” Daehyun clenched his fist, the white of his knuckles apparent while his nails dug into his palm, dealing with every blow his father was dealing him. “I can’t even believe that I have a son like you.” His father spat his final piece of venom before ending the call. Daehyun’s eyebrows furrowed, looking up to seeing the eyes of his friends glued on him. Hearing every word of the conversation. 

“You idiot…” Youngjae felt his heart run rampant. He appreciated that Daehyun had come to his rescue. Came to support him despite the consequences. But he hated Daehyun for being so reckless. He hated that Daehyun’s father treated him that way. He hated that Daehyun had to hear such venomous and toxic words. He hated that Daehyun had taken 12 steps back from his goal instead of taking 12 forward. He hated himself for being the cause it. “Why did you come here!?’ Youngjae seethed, the anger in his words were his own self-hatred. 

Daehyun snarled. Frustrated. Angry. Exhausted. Hurt. His mind was filled with so many emotions he felt like he was drowning. Drowning with no lifesaver. “BECAUSE I F**KING LOVE YOU!” Daehyun seethed, chest rising and falling rapidly, his fist clenched. He was so f**king done. 


Thanks for reading! Comments, questions, and critiques are much appreciated!

This chapter was short, but omg did go down! Poor Daehyun, his father basically chewing out and Youngjae basically mad and confused by the whole situation. AND THE CONFESSION! The confession and appearance reveal occured haha.

Here is the second fanart I made :D 

A little cute to cut the drama


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457326537152337366/