My Not so Ugly Duckling

The Not So Ugly Duckling

2 years later…

“The investigations all wrapped up. We’ve managed to clear your name. You’re a free man, Yoo Youngjae.” Himchan’s voice teased, but a hint of sadness was laced with sadness.

“Thanks, hyung…” Youngjae smiled softly as he shoved his paperwork in his bag. “For everything…”

“Your welcome. Ya know for getting Yongguk to get you the best lawyers to keep your out of jail, even though he was hella pissed at you. Aaaaand for getting a getaway car, that Zelo scratched by the way, after your whole display 2 years ago. Oooohhhh and let me not forget that I basically went Jason Bourne on your and managed to get Jongup and Yongguk to help me get you thes sweet gig you got now despite their grumbles of disapproval.” Himchan sing-songed. Youngjae playfully rolled his eyes at the elder’s ridiculousness as he left this lecture hall. 

“Oh thanks, all amazing, powerful and wonderful Himuchan.” Youngjae chuckled, hoping this would appease the elder. It did.

“That’s more like it,” Himchan huffed with pride.

“I’m also sorry that I wasn’t able to come to your wedding…” Youngjae smiled sadly. He was Himchan’s best man yet he couldn’t show up. After all, Daehyun was Yongguk’s. Instead, the younger had to settle with Zelo video taping the entire wedding and sending it to him as well as bringing Youngjae’s present for the newly weds. Youngjae had to remind himself to treat the kid for dinner sometimes. 

“You were hardly missed. We found a prettier flower girl once your was gone,” Himchan teased, the two boys bursting out into a hearty laughter. It was something the both of them missed. Being to laugh so carefree.“So when are you coming back home, hm? Zelo misses ya. Plus Yongguk and Jongup got over their petty anger once they understood the situation. They miss you too.” 

“You know why I can’t come back, Himchan…” Youngjae’s voice became sullen. 

“He went through hell, Youngjae. The least he deserves is to know that you are okay…” Himchan’s teasing voice became soft, as if he were treading on eggshells. 

“What the are you doing?! You plan to die via alcohol poisoning or something!?” Himchan screeched, swiping the bottle of vodka from his hands. Himchan glanced around, the whole condo was strewn with empty bottles of alcohol. Basically an entire liquor store was living here. “Get yourself together, damn it! This isn’t like you!”

“Isn’t like me?” The other scoffed, pushing past Himchan as he went towards his refrigerator to grab another bottle. Himchan immediately rushed over, putting his body in front of the fridge door. The other glare and let out a low growl. “Then what am I like, Himchan? Cause I don’t ing know anymore! I thought I knew...but it was all a delusion. Everything...my confidence, my strength...my love...it’s all a damn pipe dream!” He slammed his fist on the fridge door, startling Himchan. 

“You’ll get through this…” Himchan squeezed the other’s shoulder in reassurance, but all he got in return were eyes pleading with desperation. For sanctuary in the nightmarish hell he has been living in. 

“I can’t Himchan…” Tears began to pool in the other’s eyes and Himchan could feel his heart squeeze with sadness. Never in Himchan’s life had he seen the other so broken and helpless. Lost like a puppet without its string. “Everywhere I go I see him, I hear his voice. I can’t even go to bed without thinking when I wake up, I’ll see him again…” Himchan pulled the other into a tight hug, feeling warm tears fall on his shoulder as he soothingly rubbed th other’s back. Anything for the other to feel a little solace. 

Youngjae’s line went silent. Himchan knew the topic of him was off limits. Before it was okay, the younger would ask how he was doing and if he was okay on a near weekly basis. Obvious concern was laced in Youngjae’s questions, forcing Himchan to hide the worst of his behavior after Youngjae left. Himchan didn’t want to younger to feel more guilty and burdened than he already was, especially when they were all busy trying to clear his name. The questions stopped six months ago when Youngjae had learned that he was engaged. Himchan had knew or at least had an inkling beforehand, but he didn’t dare tell the younger. That’s when the conversations about him ended. Youngjae didn’t even dare to look up news or watch tabloid television in an effort to avoid him completely. No matter how unfair and selfish Youngjae was acting since he had brought this upon himself, he didn’t want to see the other happy in the arms of another. 

“I know, Himchan…” Youngjae sighed, squeezing the handle of his bag tightly. “And that’s why I can’t come back...I don’t deserve to.”


Daehyun had sighed for nearly the tenth time in the past five minutes as he sorted through some paperwork. He felt torn? He couldn’t really name or understand how he was feeling. He was obviously glad that the investigation was over, but the way he was able to clear up the entire mess. Well, he didn’t expect the person who saved his was the one person that hated his guts. Life truly was an interesting yet conniving sometimes.

A year and a half ago…

“Here…” Woojin slid a usb drive across Daehyun’s desk. Daehyun eyeing the device suspiciously. His eyes trained daggers at the man across his desk. If it weren’t for the fact that they were at work, Daehyun would have wrung his neck. It was his fault that Youngjae had to leave him. It was his fault that Daehyun had to suffer like this. It was his fault that every night Daehyun was out clubbing and drinking, trying to forget everything. The man that he hated the most was standing only 3 feet away from him. 

“What is it…” Daehyun cautiously picked up the usb plugging it into his computer. 

“You’ll understand once you look at it…” Woojin’s voice was steady, though his hands being balled up into fist spoke otherwise. 

Daehyun hummed in response, his eyes opening wide as he read through the documents. This was everything. The original documents to the research trials, the actual logs of who accessed the computer and the alterations, everything. The final nail in the godforsaken coffin were audio files. Audio files of the she devil herself, conspiring against Daehyun. The using Youngjae to hurt him. Even bringing in the ass Jinsoo. He should have known that Woojin couldn’t have done this alone, successfully anyways. Woojin was smart, but he was no evil genius. 

“You’ll have to confront my mother for the hard copies of the documents…” 

“Why are you giving me this? You have spiritual epiphany or something?” Daehyun glared at Woojin suspiciously, the man had basically given him the keys to his and his she-devil mom’s handcuffs. 

Woojin scoffed, crossing his arms in front of his chest. “It’s not for you. It’s for the patients…” Woojin sighed. “They shouldn’t have to suffer what goes on between our family….they’re innocent.”

“Woooow, you do have a heart. I wonder where that came from, definitely not your mother…” Woojin glard at Daehyun’s obvious sarcasm.

“Mother...she isn’t thinking straight…” Woojin bit his lower lip. “You know she was always afraid of your mother….she loved father dearly, but she wasn’t of his families status so she was kicked to the curb…”

“And you’re telling me this why? For me to pity her? When she made me and my mother’s life hell!?” Daehyun fumed. How dare the bastard try to make his step-mother even remotely sympathetic. Like she was the victim! It was utterly disgusting that Daehyun wanted to throw up. 

“No, I know exactly what I and my mother have done. I don’t expect any compassion from you,” Even when cornered, Woojin still kept that calm, haughty demeanor. How infuriating. “I just wanted you to understand that your mother wasn’t the only victim to our father’s desires…” 

“You know you’ll be going to jail right? You and your mother…” Daehyun watched Woojin and for the first time Daehyun actually saw Woojin relax a bit. The tension lifting from his shoulders and a small quip of a smile on his lips. 

“I know…” Woojin closed his eyes for moment. “It’s time that I’ve come to accept that I’ve lost I suppose. I don’t want a kingdom in which I must lose myself for me to become king….” Woojin chuckled slightly before putting his hands in his pockets, turning around and heading towards the door. “Plus why would I want a kingdom that has already been sullied by you?” Woojin smirked slightly.

Daehyun let out a snort. “I ing hate you.” 

“I hate you too, brother.” Woojin smiled slightly before closing the door with a click.

It took ages after that to catch the serpent woman. She had lawyered up so quickly that FBI probably got whiplashed. But it was finally over. His step-mother was arrested, Jinsoo was arrested, and shortly after Woojin was arrested. His father nearly got a heart attack from the entire situation. His Jung empire crumbling like stale cookies. He lost his company, he lost his wife, and he lost sons. He was ashamed and humiliated, yet he couldn’t leave the wretched woman. Perhaps his father truly did love his step-mother. It was unfortunate that the feelings of compassion and understanding for the man had died long ago, or Daehyun could have at least attempted to forgive his father. Jinsoo was sentenced for 10 years in prison for assisting in tampering data and endangering the public plus another 15 years for every he committed that the FBI magically happened to find the videos of. His step mother got 15 years for being the leader and Woojin….well he only received 3 years. If anyone had asked if Daehyun had put in a good word for Woojin, he would deny it vehemently. 

“Daehyun, it’s late. You should go home.” Jongup opened the door, a mug of coffee in hand a some snacks. 

“You say that as you bring me coffee and cookies. Are you sure you’re not expecting me to work more?” Daehyun scoffed, getting up from his desk to join the younger on the couch.

“You know, just in case,” Jongup chuckled. “My boss is a bit of a fatass.” 

Daehyun scoffed, chuckling slightly before punching the guard dog in the arm. A small smile crawled on Jongup’s face. He was happy. He was happy that Daehyun was doing okay. Jongup had wanted to kill Youngjae. Throw the elder into a ditch for what he had done to Daehyun. There were moments where he was terrified to leave Daehyun alone, in fear of what the CEO may do. He was frustrated that all he could do was standby as he watched his best friend spiral into alcohol and clubbing. He brought back random strangers. ed whoever, whereever. He didn’t care about his reputation, he didn’t care about how much he was hurting himself, he didn’t care about anything or anyone. It was like the old Daehyun was back, but worse. At least the old Daehyun was playful and in a sense happy. This one was sad and broken. 

Jongup had begged, pleaded, and nearly threatened Zelo to tell him what had happened to Youngjae. But the puppy was a loyal and good friend and refused to tell Jongup a thing. The guard dog remembered the countless fights the two of them had and he almost thought that it would have been over for them. It was as if Jongup was choosing between his boyfriend and his best friend. Zelo had told him that he didn’t have to choose. Zelo had already chosen. Youngjae was his friend and Zelo was not going to abandon his friend. Jongup had to put up with it, whether he liked it or not. So that’s what Jongup did. He put up with it. Their relationship was icy to say the least. It wasn’t till Himchan literally knock some sense into everyone that Jongup had understood Zelo’s defensiveness. 

“Get your ing act together,” Himchan growled, as he glared at Daehyun. The man not giving a damn, in bed with a sleeping supermodel on one side of his bed and another model on the other side. “God, this ing room smells like an STD.” Himchan sneered. 

“Himchan, breathe, your shoulders are tense…” Yongguk attempted to ease the tension in his love’s shoulders, to only have Himchan wave his hand away. 

“How can I not be tense when Daehyun is back to his manwhore ways?” Himchan hissed. “And, Jongup, what happened to your backbone to let him do this?” Himchan glared at the guard dog that looked helpless in the doorway. 

“Why should I?” Daehyun scoffed as he stretched his sleepy muscles. He removed off his bed in manner that didn’t wake the two beside him, putting on a pair of boxers as he strutted out the living room. 

“Why should you?” Himchan looked at him incredulously. “You’ve missed work Daehyun! You’ve missed board meetings! Jung Corps stocks are plummeting!” 

“What do you want me to do about?” Daehyun rolled his eyes. “There’s no point to it anyways….” Daehyun murmured. 

Yongguk wasn’t fast enough to grab onto Himchan as the man went up and clocked Daehyun right in the face. Daehyun fell back, grabbing his cheek in utter shock at the sudden impact. “There’s no point? You know what’s no ing point! Youngjae sacrificing his life for you! For you to have a future! And you’re just ing it away!”  Himchan’s face was red with angry. 

“How is Nayeon?” Daehyun asks, sipping on his coffee and munching on his cookie. 

“She’s...disappointed…” Jongup didn’t really know how to approach this topic. As it was a sensitive one. After all he had never ever expected Daehyun to be engaged of all things. 

“Rightfully so,” Daehyun sadly chuckled. “I’m just a total up aren’t I?”

“Well not totally... you did bring up Jung Corps stock by 5%.” Jongup shrugged and the two broke out into a light chuckle, which was abruptly ended by the sound of stomping feet and sassy ‘move out of the ways.’ The last time the both of them heard that was when Himchan was acting like a groomzilla.

“Jung Daehyun, You and me. We need to talk.” Himchan had his hand on his hip. It was time for Mama Himchan to once again, come to the rescue. He should be a saint for all he has done. 



“Thank you, Professor Yoo,” The student shyly beamed, he scratches the back of his head as he fidgets. Youngjae tilted his head innocently, look at his student in curiosity. “Um I was wondering if...uh…um….”

“Are you okay, Jaebum?” Youngjae chuckled at the floundering student as he was packing up his lecture notes. 

“Um yeah! I’m fine! Totally fine and well uh I just wanted to ask if you were free now to um uh… get coffee?” Jaebum must have figured out that it sounded like he was asking his professor out on a date because he quickly backtracked his statement. “Oh um I mean, I have like questions to ask about that research paper you presented…”

Youngjae chuckled a bit, finding the bashful student quite adorable. Jaebum reminded him of Zelo. “I’m sorry, Jaebum. I can’t today, but maybe you can stop by my office hours tomorrow and we could talk about it.” Youngjae smiled sweetly as the other’s shoulders dropped slightly. The utter disappointment painted on his face. 

“Oh...okay…” Jaebum smiled back. “I’ll see you tomorrow then Professor Yoo,” Jaebum slightly bowed before quickly rushing out of the lecture hall, bumping into a stranger on the way out. “Oh! Sorry sir…” Jaebum bowed before leaving. 

“Professor Yoo.”

“Sorry, but I have to leave. You can email me your question and I’ll-” Youngjae froze as he saw a familiar figure in the doorway of his lecture hall. His heart nearly dropped out of his chest. This must be a dream. This couldn’t be real. Life wasn’t so kind to have this happen to him. 

“Hi, Youngjae….” Daehyun smiled slightly, his hands shoved into his pockets. Youngjae was speechless. What was he to say to the love of his life that he abandoned and now has suddenly appeared into his life. “It’s been a while…”

“H-how?” Youngjae had completely forgot the papers he needed to forget.

“Himchan.” Daehyun smiled slightly. His smile canines appearing, and Youngjae’s heart squeezed. He missed that smile. He his voice. He missed him. 

“Oh…” Youngjae looked away slightly. As much as Youngjae missed Daehyun. As much as he loved Daehyun. He hurt him. He hurt the other terribly and he knew it, no matter how much Himchan tried to sugar coat it. He didn’t deserve to himself back into Daehyun’s life. On top of that, the man was engaged. 

“Professor Yoo...I didn’t think you’d be teaching at a college...just a few hours away from Jung Corps…” Daehyun entered the room, looking around in fascination as he approached Youngjae. 

“I have to thank Himchan and Yongguk for that….” Youngjae murmured, building up the courage to continue putting his stuff away. He wasn’t going to be affected. He couldn’t be affected. He had moved on. He had started his life. At least that is what he convinced himself. 

Daehyun hummed, his fingers lightly touching the podium besides Youngjae. “That boy...he likes you.”

“I hope all my student’s like me.” Youngjae avoided eye contact. He couldn’t look at Daehyun. If he did then he would lose. The elder had matured over two years. He was more handsome, not the same devilish kind of handsome, but that of a well seasoned adult. Daehyun’s chocolate brown eyes, his neatly combed dark brown hair, his more chiseled features. All the changes subtle, but made the elder even more handsome than Youngjae remembered. The air around the elder had changed from the reckless playful man Youngjae had loved before. 

“You know that’s not what I mean. He adores you.” Daehyun leaned against the podium eyeing Youngjae. The younger had become handsomer. Prettier than Daehyun had remembered. Youngjae’s baby fat had disappeared from his face, but his squishy cheeks remained. His hair as soft as ever in a soft messy bedhead. His doe like eyes as beautiful as ever. The sausage lips that Daehyun adored, pink and plush. 

“You’re insane.” Youngjae scoffed, pulling his bag over his shoulder. 

“I’m not. Because he’s giving you the same looks I gave you.” Youngjae froze at Daehyun’s words. His heart beating out of his chest, like it was going to break through his ribcage display itself for Daehyun to see. 

“I-I’ve got to go.” Youngjae dashed out of the lecture hall. Daehyun following shortly after. 



“I want to talk, Youngjae…” Daehyun followed Youngjae’s pace as he sped walk off of campus.

“I don’t, Daehyun.” Youngjae bit his bottom lip. It was more that he didn’t deserve to. 

“At least let me give you a ride home.” Youngjae walked faster, but Daehyun managed to keep his pace. Damn him and his long legs. 

“Not needed. I’m not going home right now anyways.” Youngjae was beginning to feel frustrated. Why couldn’t Daehyun leave him alone? Why couldn’t he let Youngjae forget him? Why did Youngjae love him so much?

“Youngjae,” Daehyun quickly grabbed Youngjae’s arm, stopping the younger’s man in his tracks. Now that Daehyun had stopped him though. He had no clue what to say. ‘I missed you?’ ‘Why did you leave me?’ ‘I thought you wanted to work this out together.’ ‘Do you still love me?’ He went with the default. “How have you been?” 

Youngjae frowned slightly, quickly removing himself from Daehyun’s grip. “I’ve been fine…” Youngjae murmured and stomped down the streets. Daehyun still following after, abandoning his car in the school parking lot. 

The two walked in silence until Youngjae stopped in front a preschool. The sound of children squealing and giggling filled their ears. Daehyun glanced at Youngjae, confused at the sudden stop. He noticed how Youngjae’ expression had softened, his shoulders relaxed, and the doe eyes that Daehyun loved so much was filled with so much adoration. The younger looked so beautiful that the elder wanted to reach out towards him. He almost did, but he held himself back, biting his lower lip. 

“Daddy!” Daehyun’s eyes went wide as a little boy with a mop of light brown hair ran to Youngjae. Youngjae smiling brightly as he picked up the sweet cherub boy. Youngjae chuckled as he lightly tapped the boy’s nose.

“You missed me, Minmin?” Youngjae snuggled up closer to his son. All Daehyun could do was stare in shock, his heart aching at the sight. 

“A whooooooollllleee lot!” Minhyun made a huge gesture with his hands before flashing Youngjae a toothy grin. The two giggled, before Minhyun caught sight of Daehyun in the corner of his eye. Daehyun smiling shyly at the boy before waving. “Daddy, who that? Daddy’s friend?” Minhyun pointed at Daehyun. Youngjae’s smiled falter a bit as he glanced at Daehyun then back at his son. 

“Yeah...he’s one of Daddy’s friends,” Youngjae smiled sadly. “One of Daddy’s precious friends.”

“Your son?” Daehyun wanted to slap himself for the obvious question. Of course the kid, was Youngjae’s son. The boy had called him ‘Daddy.’

“Yeah, he was adopted 6 months ago...I saw him when I was volunteering and instantly fell in love.” Youngjae smiled sweetly at the sleeping child, giving him a peck on the head. Daehyun eyed the pair and his heart melted. They looked like a perfect father and son. A doting parent with an adorable child. And now that Daehyun had a better look of Minhyun he could see how similar he was to Youngjae despite being adopted. He had soft round chubby chipmunk cheeks like Youngjae that were dusted with a pink blush. The small drool dripping from his small pink lips. His small hands clinging onto a stuffed rabbit plush. His soft disheveled hair reminded Daehyun of when he first met Youngjae. It stung Daehyun that a lucky man was able to have such a beautiful boy as a son and a beautiful husband like Youngjae. To have a family with Youngjae. 

“Your husband is a lucky man to have such a beautiful family….” Daehyun murmured, kicking the ground in front of him. Youngjae froze in his step.

“I’m not married.” Youngjae should have lied. He told himself he should have lied. He was opening a door that he thought he wanted closed. 

“Oh…” Daehyun scratched the back of his head awkwardly. The man that used to be a master at sweet talk was now a bumbling idiot. 

“I haven’t dated since….” Youngjae glanced away before walking again, picking up his pace. 

“Youngjae!” Daehyun grabbed Youngjae’s elbow, jolting the younger a bit and causing the little one to stir. “Hey little man...sorry to wake you up…” Daehyun smiled apologetically at Minhyun who rubbed his eyes sleepily.

“It okay. If I sleep too much, Daddy call me a sleeping beauty.” Minhyun chuckles.

“You’re not a sleeping beauty. You’re a handsome prince right?” Daehyun grins, gently petting Minhyun’s head. 

“Yeah! I’m the prince who will save Daddy from all the meanies!” Minhyun puffs out his chest before letting out a small yawn. 

Youngjae’s heart squeezes at wonderful this all seemed. How Daehyun, Minhyun and him looked like a family. It hurt because to Youngjae this was all a fantasy. The next day Daehyun will be gone, married to a beautiful woman who will cherish him while Youngjae was here. Still stuck in the past that he gave up. He couldn’t do it. He wasn’t strong enough. So he had to end this. No matter how much he wanted to savor this he had to leave. 

“Daehyun I’ve got to.” Youngjae began to walk away again, but was again abruptly stopped by Daehyun. 

“I’m not letting you leave me, not again, Jae….” Daehyun looked at Youngjae, pleading for the younger to at least let them speak to each other. Youngjae chewed on his bottom lip like it was taffy. 

“Not here….You can come to my place.”



The sat across each other in the living room. Minhyun resuming his nap in his bedroom. The apartment was small, but cozy. A lot more posh than Youngjae’s old place, but still had that homey feel that Daehyun missed and loved. The tension in the air, however, almost had them suffocating. 

“Do you want water, coffee, jui-”

“I missed you, Youngjae.” Youngjae halted his movement. He hated how Daehyun was like this. Honest and straightforward with his feelings. The opposite of Youngjae. “Did you...maybe miss me too?”

“I...I…” Youngjae was stunned, gaping like a fish. How should he answer this? Lie through his teeth. Or spill the truth out like a gutted fish. That he had dreamed about Daehyun ever since he left, that he had some nights where he would just cry himself to sleep, that when he found out Daehyun was engaged his heart broke. “Of course I did, you’re a good friend.” Youngjae had chosen an in between, refusing to look at Daehyun’s eyes in fear that it would reveal the truth. 

“Youngjae, look at me…” Daehyun slowly approached the younger, kneeling in front of him in hopes of getting a better view of the younger’s face. “Please...I haven’t seen you in two years at least look at me…” 

“I can’t….I won’t…” Youngjae pushed himself further into the couch, creating a space between him and Daehyun. 

“Why?” Daehyun furrowed his brows in confusion. 

“Because I hurt you….I left you…” Youngjae could feel tears begin to fill his eyes. Why did Daehyun have to show up and speak so softly to him? So lovingly? Was it to remind him of something that Youngjae would never had.

“You did.” Daehyun nods and Youngjae looks up to give him a small glare.

“You , you’re suppose to comfort me.” Youngjae frowned. Daehyun chuckled, cupping Youngjae’s face before the younger had the chance to hide it again.

“There’s the Youngjae I know of. The little crybaby.” Daehyun cooed slightly and Youngjae’s frown deepened.

“Who’s fault is that?” Youngjae sneered. “Gosh dang it, what’s wrong with you? I’m suppose to feel bad and guilty for hurting you and you’ve somehow made me annoyed with you.”

“You should feel guilty. You broke my heart, Youngjae.” Daehyun’s eyes flashed a glimmer of sadness in them that left a dent on Youngjae’s heart.

“I’m sorry….” Youngjae mumbled, looking down into his lap. 

“I’m sorry that I put you in a position where you had to make that decision,” Youngjae jolted up and stared at Daehyun flabbergasted. “I’m not mad at you, Youngjae. Yes, at some point I was. I even hated you, if you could believe that. I tried to forget you, move on. Clubbed, drank, went off to have as many flings as I could just to forget you and move on. Then I thought burying myself in work would do, but nothing worked...then I met Nayeon…” Youngjae’s frowned. Nayeon. Daehyun’s fiancee. 

“Speaking of her, shouldn’t you be getting back to your fiance? You neglecting your duties even before the rings are put on? What a shame,” Youngjae scoffed before attempting to remove himself from the couch. Daehyun gripped the younger’s wrist, forcing Youngjae to stay in place. “Yah! Let go, do you manhandle your fiance like this-”

“I broke off the engagement.” Again, Daehyun was a bag of surprises. Youngjae searched Daehyun’s eyes to find any semblance of lies, but all he saw was sincerity. He just didn’t want to believe it. 

“Then what the hell is that? A purity ring?” Youngjae sneered as he gestured towards the ring on Daehyun’s ring finger. 

“This?” Daehyun removed the ring from his left hand and examined it, twirling the piece slowly. Youngjae eyed the ring, there was something familiar about it. “I got this a while ago...I got it the same day I bought a ring for the most precious person in my life….” Youngjae eyes went wide as realization began to set in. “It was a promise that once I got my life together we would get married…” Daehyun chuckled slightly. “Who would have thought that getting my life together meant no life together…” Daehyun gently placed the ring in Youngjae’s hand.  “When I found it on my bedroom nightstand...I was so mad, so angry about being abandoned, but more than anything I was hurt. Hurt from not being able to protect them...I thought that I had managed to move on when I met a nice girl, but I ended up breaking it off with her,” Youngjae could feel tears roll down his cheeks as he looked at the ring. The silver band shining brightly with a small daisy etched onto it.“I told her I couldn’t be with her if my heart wasn’t fully hers. She didn’t deserve that,” Daehyun gently grabbed onto Youngjae’s hand. “I never threw away that ring because I could never get past my first and last love….” Daehyun kissed Youngjae’s hand softly as the younger began to sob. 

“I’m so sorry Daehyun….I’m so sorry that I left you…” Tears kept pouring out like waterworks as Youngjae tried to make coherent sentences. “I-I just didn’t know what to do...you were about to resign and I couldn’t let you do that for me...I couldn’t let your dreams crash because of me…” Youngjae hiccuped, as Daehyun attempted to wipe away the tears that were staining Youngjae’s face. “I was selfish, I was stupid, I-I-”

“We were both selfish, we were both stupid,” Daehyun squeezed Youngjae’s hands gently. Youngjae looking down at Daehyun, sniffling and hiccuping in an attempt to stop the tears. “Remember? No more ‘I’ and ‘I’ll,’ it’s ‘we’ and ‘we’ll.’” Youngjae nodded before throwing his arms around Daehyun, burying his face into Daehyun’s neck. 

“I missed you. I missed you so much...when I heard you were engaged I was….” Youngjae paused his sobbing for a bit, before separating from Daehyun for a bit. “Why didn’t you tell me you broke off your engagement in the first place? You know how much emotional turmoil I was dealing with since you popped up in my lecture hall, you .” Youngjae pouted and Daehyun couldn’t help but stupidly grin at the nostalgic sight.

“Now where would be the romanticism and suspense if I simply told you in the beginning?” Daehyun quirked a brow, that devilish smirk appearing on the elder’s face. 

“You .” Youngjae grunted, slapping Daehyun on the arm.

“Again you forget, it’s you y ,” Daehyun chuckled as Youngjae rolled his eyes. The two stared at each other, taking in everyone of each others features. Youngjae missed those dark chocolate brown eyes so much. The playful glint they had, yet the deep emotions they held. Daehyun couldn’t help but get trapped in Youngjae’s eyes. The small glimmer of sass, yet shyness. It was as if 2 years had never separated them in the first place. It had been far too long, and Youngjae could not help but tear up again. Gosh, dang it the elder had really made him a crybaby. “Hey, hey, you’re crying again,” Daehyun chuckled, gently wiping the tears away with his thumb. “You are really are a crybaby.”

“You .” Youngjae pouted, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand, but the waterworks wouldn’t stop. 

“Daddy?” Minhyun waddled out of his bedroom, rubbing his sleep eyes confused. His eyes soon went wide in shock at seeing his Daddy crying. “Mister! Did you make Daddy cry! You is a villian!” Minhyun ran over, softly punching Daehyun as a way to save Youngjae. 

“I look like a villain, don’t I?” Daehyun chuckled, as he saw Minhyun puff out his cheeks in a pout at his ineffective attacks. 

“No, no, baby. Daehyun did not make me cry,” Youngjae giggled, picking up his baby boy and placing him on his lap. Minhyun let out a huff, not believing his daddy and eyeing Daehyun suspiciously. “Daddy was crying happy tears.”

“Happy tears?” Minhyun tilted his head, his brows scrunched up with confusion. 

“Yeah, Daddy is really happy,” Youngjae looked up to see Daehyun eyeing them lovingly like the man had the entire world right in front of him. “Daehyunnie is going to stay with us if that's okay?”

“The whole night!?” Minhyun’s eyes beamed with the thought of a new playmate. Suspicions out the window.

“If that’s okay with you…” Youngjae blushed slightly at Daehyun.

“It’s more than okay,” Daehyun beamed. “You ready to fight this villain, little prince?” Daehyun playfully roared like a monster.

“Oh no! I’ll protect you, Daddy!” Minhyun shrieked with glee as he jumped into Daehyun’s arm in an attempted tackle. Daehyun hugged the little boy, tickling his sides.

“I got you, little prince,” Daehyun teased. “And Princess Youngjae too.” Daehyun quickly grabbed Youngjae by the waist pulling him closer. Youngjae chuckled and playfully squirmed. 

“Daddy! The villain got you!” Minhyun giggled, clinging onto Daehyun’s neck.

“Yep, it looks like the big bad wolf got me,” Youngjae chuckle as he gently pressed his forehead against Daehyun’s. “I love you my big bad wolf.” Youngjae whispered as he nuzzled his nose against Daehyun’s.

“I love you, chipmunk. Now and forever.” Daehyun grinned, placing a peck on Youngjae’s lips.



3 years later….

“Daehyun….” Daehyun groaned lightly as his body was shaken. “Daehyun,” Daehyun buried himself further into his sheets as the shaking became more aggressively. “Get up you sloth!” The voice hissed.

Daehyun did the exact opposite. Daehyun encompassed the other in the blankets, dragging the other down into the bed with him despite the shrieking and flailing. Daehyun hugged the familiar waist tightly as he rested his chin on top on what was once neatly combed hair. A small hum and smile left his lips as he enjoyed the warmth. “Five more minutes…” Daehyun murmurmed, nuzzling into the soft locks 

“How about zero more minutes. Are you in hibernation or something? The guys will be here soon,” Youngjae scoffed trying to separate himself from the half man. “Wake up, you bum.” Youngjae pinched Daehyun’s nose, causing the elder to scrunch his face. His eyes slowly fluttering open as he let out a yawn.

“Morning, beautiful…” Daehyun grinned looking at his precious Youngjae laying beside him. The man dressed in a simple white shirt and gray sweats and an apron.

“Get up, you cheeseball. I made breakfast.” Youngjae chuckled.

“Breakfast? So cereal and milk.” Daehyun teased. Youngjae’s cheeks flared a bright pink, cause well, the elder wasn’t wrong. 

“That’s it. I’m retracting my morning kisses.” Youngjae huffed, removing himself from Daehyun’s hold and attempted to scramble off the bed. Only to have Daehyun pull him back into bed, pinned to the bed with Daehyun hovering over him.

“Just kidding, I love eating your cereal and milk,” Daehyun grinned cheekily. Youngjae let out a huff, turning his head away with a pout on his lips. “Come on, just one little kiss?” Daehyun played those puppy eyes and pout that Youngjae’s always fell for.

“Your definition of a little kiss ends up being a makeout session.” Youngjae rolled his eyes. 

“That’s because my little chipmunk is just so irresistible,” Daehyun leaned down and placed a small kiss on Youngjae’s cheek. “And so cute,” Daehyun nuzzled into Youngjae’s neck, leaving soft kisses as the younger squirmed.” “And so y when he’s all flustered.” A teasing smirk painted on Daehyun’s face as he gently on Youngjae’s neck, causing soft whimpers. Daehyun’s hands slowly trail up Youngjae’s soft skin, as the younger gripped tightly onto Daehyun’s shoulders.

“Daddy! Papa!” Youngjae flung Daehyun off him so quickly, it was surprising that the elder didn’t break something. “Daddy, Papa, they’re here! They’re here!” Minhyun jumped on the bed, bouncing up and down on Daehyun in attempt to get him to get up quickly. 

“Be careful my little prince, if you keep jumping like that, you’re gonna break Papa’s back.” Daehyun smiled, glad that Minhyun was removing himself from a top of him to sit between Youngjae and him. 

“Yeah, Papa is becoming an old man isn’t he.” Youngjae teased, causing Daehyun to raise an amused brow. 

“Hahaha, Papa is becoming a grandpapa.” Minhyun giggled and soon both Youngjae and Minhyun were a giggling mess. 

“You two little nymphs!” Daehyun enveloping the both of them in blankets, tickling Minhyun until he was breathless.

“Hehehe, come on Papa, wake up so we can open the door for uncles and Junnie!” Minhyun chuckled, before escaping Daehyun’s clutches and running off into the living room. 

“Yeah, come on grandpa, before Himchan kills us.” Youngjae chuckled, but was then suddenly grabbed by Daehyun, landing in the elder’s lap.

“Grandpa huh?” Daehyun’s warm breath fanned Youngjae’s ear. Youngjae’s cheeks and the tips of his ears turning a bright red at Daehyun suddenly low and sultry voice. “Even though you say that, I can assure you I am nothing like that in bed.” Daehyun’s hands slowly traveling south.

“You erted wolf!” Youngjae shrieked, scrambling off Daehyun’s lap and running into the living room as Daehyun was laughing his off. 

“Took you long enough. I was about to call the cops because I thought you guys were dead.” Himchan rolled his eyes as Jun ran past his leg, giving Minhyun a big hug. 

“Daehyun slept in?” Jongup raised a brow.

“Daehyun slept in.” Youngjae smiled.

“At least he woke up this time, remember the last time we came to visit. We were literally sitting outside the condo until Youngjae came.” Yongguk shook his head in dismay, but a smile still spread on his face.

“Junnie! Let’s go play in my room! Papa bought me this new toy set so now we can build two robots!” Minhyun squealed. 

“Yay! Let’s go! Let’s go!” Jun jumped up and down as Minhyun pulled the younger into the playroom. 

“Kids so full of energy. It felt like it was only yesterday that I raised Zelo.” Himchan rested his cheek in his palm, letting out a despairing.

“Again, I don’t ever remembering coming out of your .” Zelo scoffed, placing some baked goods they bought along the way on the kitchen table. 

“I smell pastries.” Daehyun immediately came out of the bedroom, wearing appropriate clothing  as he heads straight towards the box of goodies. 

“And there is my husband.” Youngjae chuckled as he rolled his eyes. 

“Same fat as always.” Himchan scoffed, making himself comfortable on the couch. “Speaking of husbands though, have you guys chosen a date?” Himchan eyeing the two maknaes. 

“We were thinking Fall. It would be nice to see the colors change.” Zelo beamed. 

“Plus it’s Junhongie’s birthday season.” Jongup smiled sweetly, the tall puppy blushing.

“Awww look how sweet they are, remember when we were like that?” Himchan cooed, tugging onto Yongguk’s sleeve. Yongguk chuckled, gently ruffling Himchan’s hair. 

“You guys are still like that. Obnoxiously cute.” Daehyun snorted, taking a seat on the arm rest beside Youngjae. 

“And you still act like horndog. The way you eye Youngjae like you want to screw him over any and every object.” Himchan sneered in disgust. 

“Well you ain’t wrong, I have screwed him over almost any and every object.” Daehyun shrugged, causing both Himchan and Zelo to look at them in horror as Youngjae’ wanted to bury himself in a whole. Yongguk and Jongup had unfortunately been desensitized.

“DAEHYUN! There are children in the next room!” Youngjae hissed, slapping the elder on the arm. 

“I think the only children we got are in here.” Jongup nodded his head. 

“Oh gosh, how did we end up like this,” Himchan dramatically leaned back into the couch. “Yongguk, Daehyun, Youngjae, and I being parents and you two getting married. Just a few years ago we couldn’t even adult properly.”

“I guess we can finally say we’ve matured a bit.” Yongguk grinned.

“Guess it all started with Youngjae-hyung,” Zelo chuckled. 

“And his ugly disguise.” Jongup let out a playful snort, remembering all the hideous outfits Youngjae used to wear.

“Courtesy of Himchan.” Youngjae snorted. 

“Aye it got you a man didn’t it?” Himchan smirked. He would forever tell people that he was the reason the Daejae couple existed. 

“You’re right,” Daehyun chuckled. “It all started with this little ugly duckling.” Daehyun jokingly cooed as if Youngjae were a baby. 

“Bah, don’t act so smug, cause you fell for this ugly duckling.” Youngjae scoffed, a haughty smirk on his face. 

“Yep, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way,” Daehyun grinned, placing a chaste kiss on Youngjae’s forehead. 

Youngjae running into Daehyun in the hall with his trash bag of an outfit. Daehyun fighting tooth and nail to become the Chairman of Jung Corp. The two actually becoming friends and soon falling in love. The rollercoaster of obstacles and joys the two had been through just to be together. All of it seems like it was yesterday. Now Daehyun was the Chairman like he always dreamed and Jung Corps. only seemed to be growing with expansions overseas. Youngjae returning to work at the university doing research and teaching. And the two of them were together, with a son. They had a family. It was everything Daehyun could ever hope for. It was everything that he didn’t deserve.

Daehyun gazed down at Youngjae. The love of his life laughing about some memory or joke that Jongup had just said. Himchan and Yongguk laughing along and even adding their own commentary. Zelo just rolling his eyes with a smile at their ridiculousness. It was Daehyun’s little slice of Heaven. 

And it was all because he fell for the not so ugly duckling. 


Thank you for reading! Comments, feedback, and etc. are most welcomed!

Omg It done it's over! I want to cry with so much joy! I can't believe my first chaptered fanfic is done and well I want to thank you all. I mentioned before that I was basically going to write a whole shpeel about how much I love you all and this story so here it is. First of all, thank you. Thank you sooo much for supporting me and my fanfic so much. I never ever thought this story would get so much love and support that it did. Everytime I was feeling down I would read your guy's comments because they literally brighten up my day. I'm pretty sure that most of you guys are older than me, but I think of everyone of you as my precious little lovelies (this is the 85 year old woman in me talking). You guys are so wonderful, sweet, and so kind as to give my story your time and even giving me such supporting words and patience when I was busy focusing on my studies. I'm not usually the sentimental or emotional type (because I have a heart as a rock XD), but I just want to tell you guys how much I appreciate you all. I am so sad that this story has to end, but I am also happy that we all took this journey together. Love, love, love you all sooo much! These are the true feelings of a lazy panda hahaha.

On a brighter note, I have already started working on my next story! The winner of the poll: My Pet Guard Snail. Be sure to go check it out in the link below!

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1341483

Also the winner from the poll are here:

Shashamato
21blackpearls
Daemchuu
Fandhirahanasha
BAPMatoPlanet
komaxeda

 

Please let me know which member you guys want for your gif, either through comment or just messaged me :)

Another thing! I want to get to know you guys better so I've decided to open this personal chat (idk what I'm doing but hopefully this works). Feel free to talk to me, tell me about yourself, or if your curious ask questions about this crazy panda right here XD I've attached the link below so I'm expecting to see yall's haha jk jk. I'll try to check this chat at least once a day :)

https://www.asianfanfics.com/user_chat/room/53/626ebc

Again, just to reiterate this point. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING/LOVING THIS STORY! I LOVE YOU!