Confessions of an Ugly Duckling

The Not So Ugly Duckling

Triple Update 2/3!

Be sure to read till the end to see more about the fun thing I mentioned last chapter!


Youngjae typed away on his laptop, leaning back on the patio chair and eyeing the reaction simulator to see which catalyst and reagents would be ideal for the highest product yield. He let out a sigh, a bit distracted from both the mental and emotional stress. If his mechanism was a success and his proposed alternate version of DNA was really choked up as he made it out to be, he could change the world of medicine. Save so many lives, Cure so many illnesses. And that was all contingent on the fact that he could succeed. He had some success trying out his proposed mechanism, but the yield was too low for it to be of practical use. His mind had been clouded the past few days. He thought that it was simply exhaustion...that and a certain rabbit not even saying ‘hi’ to him, but that was another issue he would not like to dwell upon. He thought perhaps that going out to the company’s patio for some fresh air would help clear his mind. It helped, but he was still distracted like how Zelo is when he sees Jongup walk by with the sleeves of his white button up rolled up. Sometimes the precious child made it so obvious. 

“Hey,” Youngjae lifted his head up to see who the sudden intruder was, only for a frown to form on his face and his eyebrows furrow. “Missed me?”

“Hardly,” Youngjae growled, crossing his arms. “Looks like you’ve finally finished having your man period long enough to talk to me.” Youngjae scowled, watching carefully as Daehyun let out a sigh and sitting in the seat across from him. A small white box placed on the desk. 

“Okay, I deserve that,” Daehyun conceded, knowing that ignoring Youngjae for weeks and then attempting to have a civil conversation was near impossible. “I’m sorry,” Youngjae stared at him confused and slightly shock. Daehyun had apologized. Seriously apologized. Not one of those arrogant quips he likes to do. “I was having...a rough few weeks.” 

“I’m listening.” Youngjae quirked a brow, not letting Daehyun off by simply saying he had a ‘rough few weeks.’ So was Youngjae, but you didn’t see him run to the hills as if his was on fire. 

“You’re a tough cookie, chipmunk,” Daehyun chuckled running his fingers through his hair. A small smile on his face despite Youngjae’s obvious pout, which Daehyun found to make the messy chipmunk look cuter. “My brother was able to convince my father to throw some idiotic rich people party so that we, as in him, can kiss and get more people on his side. My father also thought this was a great opportunity to beat out the biual in me so I can be normal.” Daehyun grimaced as he reminded himself that he had a lot of to deal with the next coming weeks. He wasn’t technically lying to Youngjae since what he said was all true, he just simply cut out the part where he realised that he had feelings for the wild chipmunk. 

“Oh…” Youngjae’s hardened anger towards Daehyun softened, his shoulders relaxed as he understood how messed up and conniving Daehyun’s family could be. “Well you should have at least talked to me...I was worried that you hit your head or something and lost your memory of me.” Youngjae mumbled.

“Pffft, trust me chipmunk. You’re hard to forget, if you get what I mean.” Daehyun smirked, playfully eyeing Youngjae’s outfit with a quirked brow. Youngjae immediately understanding what Daehyun was insinuating.

“You .” Youngjae growled, punching Daehyun in the arm.

“You mention my a lot, chipmunk. If you wanted it that bad, you could’ve have asked.” Youngjae didn’t know how Daehyun wished for his words to be true. But to not creep the chipmunk away, Daehyun kept those wishes to himself. 

“I’d rather be a nun, thanks.” Youngjae rolled his eyes, but a smile still spread on his face. That stung Daehyun a bit, but the smile on Youngjae’s face was worth it. Plus he understood that there was no animosity in his words. It was just how the two were. A game of push of pull that Daehyun had missed so much in the past few weeks.

“Well I guess you don’t want to indulge in this little sinful treat I got you then,” Daehyun opened the top of the white box to reveal a soft decadent delicious green tea mille feuille. Youngjae’s eyes grew wide at the sight, his eyes starry with joy. “Buuut, since I did ignore you for weeks I guess this can repay my debt?”

Youngjae nodded his head rapidly. “Absolutely!” Youngjae smiled with glee as he quickly snatched the cake and began munching on the delicious pastry. 


“Glad you’re smiling, that furrowed brow look of yours doesn’t suit you well.” Daehyun grinned, resting his chin on his hand. Enjoying the site of Youngjae eating with such a happy look on his face. His cheeks puffed up with cake, his eyes turning into cute little crescent smiles, the way his sausage lips made a cute little smile. God, Daehyun felt like everything about the boy was cute, and it was killing him. Him. The Daehyun. Rising star of the business industry was feeling like mush for a cake-filled chipmunk.

“Tell that to the reaction I’m working on. I’m so close to getting the amount of product we need and Himchan made me lead on the project. Uhg, I feel like I’m living 20 lives at once,” Youngjae sighed. He needed this to work. Himchan trusted him so much to make him lead on this project, meaning that Youngjae was the voice and face for this possibly world-changing medicine. Himchan thought it would be a good experience for him, allowing for Youngjae to have a taste of the business world that company research lived in. It would be tough and now politics was thrown into science, but it was a valuable learning experience that Youngjae needed. Plus it would help Youngjae’s debt a whole lot. The money would ensure that Youngjae didn’t have to sell his kidney and part of his liver to cover his school fees. “Speaking of my life problems, I have to pay off some of my student loan debt before I forget,” Youngjae typed away at his computer, staring at his computer in complete confusion at his bank account information. “Huh?”

A small smile spread across Daehyun’s face, knowing the reason for Youngjae’s shock. He innocently (maybe that word didn’t fit Daehyun well) ate bits of the cake, allowing Youngjae to soak in the information that was presented before him. “Is there a problem?”

“All my debt is gone!?” Youngjae must have been going crazy. Thousands of dollars of debt does not simply disappear. Unless some crazy illegal had gone down without his knowledge, in which case he will deny everything, move to Mexico and get a new identity. “How did this even happen? I have to call my bank. I swear if some criminal has gone down then-”

Daehyun quickly grabbed Youngjae’s hand to prevent the boy from panically calling the bank and possible the police. “Breathe, chipmunk,” Daehyun went through the manners of a deep breath with Youngjae, the two of them taking a slow breath in sync. “I took care of it. Your debt that is. Not some illegal . I’m too rich for that.”

“You what!?” Youngjae was so dumbfounded. Why? Why in God’s holy mind would Daehyun pay off Youngjae’s debt? Yes, they were friends, but friends don’t pay off thousands of dollars worth of debt for each other right? Was this a rich people thing that Youngjae simply understand? “Why would you do that?!”

“Huh?” Now Daehyun was confused. He thought Youngjae would be happy. Excited. Jumping for joy and preferably jumping into Daehyun’s arms for a hug. Instead, he got a shocked chipmunk with his jaw wide open with confusion. “Aren’t you happy?” The chipmunk said himself that if he had a sugar daddy he would want him to pay off his college debt.

“No! Why would you do that?” Youngjae was slightly miffed, offended that Daehyun paid off his debt. Daehyun was his friend, not his piggy bank. “Daehyun, I’m not that pathetic that I need my friends to pay off my college debt for me, kay? Even if they are filthy rich like you,” Youngjae rubbed his temples, grateful that Daehyun would do that for him, but frustrated that he did it. “I’ll pay you back.”

“Chipmunk, you really don’t have to-”

“No,” Youngjae placed his hands over Daehyun’s mouth. “You are not going to smooth talk your way out of this one. I will pay you back even if you don- AACK!” Youngjae jumped back, his chubby cheek tinted pink with embarrassment. “W-what they hell you disgusting wolf rabbit!”
 
Daehyun smirked, blowing him a kiss. “Your hand was blocking my beautiful lips so I thought you wanted me to kiss it,” He chuckled, enjoying the blushy Youngjae in front of him that he rarely saw. “Anyways like I was trying to say, you don’t have to pay me-”

“Nope! Not listening!” Youngjae covered his ears, sprinting out of the patio to not hear Daehyun’s word. Daehyun watched at Youngjae’s ridiculous action, finding it hard to believe that the usual snarky scientist would act like a child. But Daehyun could see the playful smile on Youngjae’s face and decided that he would let the chipmunk win this one round.


Daehyun’s brow knitted together as he read the book before him. He thought his plan was foolproof. That Youngjae would be happy that he paid off all his debt and think that Daehyun was a generous guy and fall head over heels. Instead, he seemed to have instill the idea in Youngjae’s mind that he was a rich kid that had no regards for money (which wasn’t entirely a lie). Daehyun would conceded that he wasn’t good or experienced in the whole trying to woo someone over field. It was usually the other way around. But he was Jung f**king Daehyun. He could win any guy or girl over with a simple smirk and a flash of a smile. He could definitely woo over a simple chipmunk that had no sense of style….but had a cute button nose, an adorable pouty face, and soft fluffy- he was digressing again. 

“You okay, Daehyun?” Daehyun jumped at the sound of Jongup’s voice, mistakenly tossing the book aside. Jongup eyed his boss confused, wondering what the hell Daehyun was up to now. And if it involved anything with drag again, Jongup would run to the hills. That or give Daehyun another black eye...whichever was more effective to keep him out of a damn dress. Jongup picked up the fallen book, well actually magazine, a smirk slowly spreading on his face. 10 Ways to Make Him Notice You and Fall for You. Jongup let out a snort, causing Daehyun to quickly snatch the magazine.

“Just fine.” Daehyun glared, a blush creeping on his cheek.

“Suuuure.” Jongup snickered, entertained by the sight of a shy Daehyun. Jongup had an inkling as to why Daehyun was reading the magazine. A certain young scientist in the pharmaceutical department perhaps?  

Daehyun cleared his throat, awkwardly eyeing Jongup. He couldn’t believe that out of all the people he could ask, he was about to ask Jongup for love advice. But he really had run out of options. At least Jongup was on pleasant terms with Youngjae and he had a mutual crush with Zelo (though the two were as slow as snails. He swore he would turn 800 before the two even began to date). “So uh Jongup...theoretically speaking, if I were to let say wanna get a guy to like me….how would I go about that. Like how would you try to get Zelo to like you.” 
Jongup covered his mouth a bit to stifle his laughter. This was gold. A damn Kodak moment. Daehyun. The playboy that literally had a different person in his bed nearly every night was asking him for advice. The universe must be going crazy and pikachu must now exist because this couldn’t be real. 

“Why don’t you do something sentimental?”

“Sentiwhat?” Daehyun raised a brow. Daehyun had never done anything sentimental in his life. Who would he be sentimental with? His father? Like hell. His mother? He didn’t exist to her. His lovers? They were one and done.

“Yes, sentimental. Like give him something he likes-”

“I did do that! I paid off his college debt and he-” Daehyun rubbed his temples remembering his failed plan.

“Money can’t solve everything, idiot…” Jongup sighed, shaking his head in dismay. Daehyun had a lot to learn. Like the fact that normal people aren’t a big fan of people paying off large amounts of debt with no reason. It’s like they’re being looked down upon. “I meant like make him something, get him flowers or something. I don’t know. Something simple, something that has meaning. Like in Zelo’s case I’d give him a skateboard...his last board broke when he was skating to work...” A small blush creeping on the stoic man’s face.

“Awww, Guppie, who would have thought you would be so cute~” Daehyun cooed, causing Jongup to throw a pen at his face. Daehyun scrunched his face, rubbing the spot where the pen smacked. Wrinkles were forming between his brows, thinking heavily on Jongup’s words. “Something that has meaning…” Daehyun chewed his bottom lip, going into deep thought. What would have meaning for the chipmunk? Food? He’s already used the cake card. Money? No, Jongup just said that something like that won’t work. God, being in love was hard…


“Someone looks happy~” Himchan sing-songed, snicker at a bright and smiley Youngjae.

“Of course! I finally found the catalyst needed to get this reaction working! We can start production as soon as the next few weeks!” Youngjae spun in his swivel chair with glee. Everything seemed to be going right. Daehyun and him were finally talking and he now just discovered the perfect catalyst used to synthesize the medication. What more could he ask more? (Besides a y husband of course)

“Hmmmm, it seems things have been on the up in up since you’ve talked to Daehyun a few days ago. Did you guys make up?” Himchan wiggled his eyebrows, implying that the messy chipmunk was growing some sort of feelings for the wolf. 

“Yeah, we’re on friendly terms again,” Youngjae still smiling, humming a bit. On cloud 9 with joy. “I hate to say it, but you were right. He was having a tough time and just needed space.”

“So you guys are on friendly terms, meaning that you’re finally ya know…” Zelo made a circle with one hand and poking a finger through it. 

“Zelo!” Youngjae fumed, bright red. “We are not like that!”

“Oh my Lord, my baby boy has been corrupted!” Himchan eyes went wide, hand on his chest from the utter shock. 

“Yah! Guys I’m 21 not 2! I’ve had !” Zelo growled, crossing his arms with a pout on his lips.

“ing to does not count as .” Youngjae snickered, now it was the baby’s turn to get teased. 

“Uhg! I hate you guys sometimes!” Zelo buried his face in his hands, still blushing red with embarrassment. The two older boys burst into a fit of laughter at how cute their innocent baby boy was. 

“Am I interrupting something?” The sound of knocking immediately halted the laughter and instead filled the brightly filled lab with silence. Youngjae’s eyes went wide at the sudden presence of the man he thought he would never encounter a second time. 

“C-CEO Jung? What can we help you with?” Himchan was also flustered, not expecting to see CEO Woojin Jung at his door. After all the man was in a completely different department. 

“Actually you three can help me,” Woojin flashed the three of them an amicable smile. It bothered Youngjae how nice Woojin was acting. Though Youngjae was usually the type to never judge a book by the words of others, the way Daehyun was frustrated, hurt, and angry around Woojin gave Youngjae enough information that he should tread on eggshells. “I would like to invite you three to the Jung Family party that we will be throwing in a few weeks. You guys have been making a great contribution to the company and I hear you actually have the next big thing for Jung Pharma so we would be honored to have you at our party.”

“Uh won’t we be out of place?” Zelo raised a skeptical brow, knowing that the three of them weren’t exactly the wealthy and privileged type. 

“Of course not. Plus, I believe Mr. Kim is already comfortable with these kind of things,” Woojin flashed him a smile though the sneer on Himchan became obvious. Himchan knew that Woojin was insinuating the past relationship he had with Daehyun. “Anyways, I hope to see you all there,” Woojin placed three envelopes with the invitations on Himchan’s desk. “I will especially be glad to see you there, Mr. Yoo.” Woojin flashed him a sly smile before turning on his heel and exiting the lab. 

“What the hell was that about?” Himchan raised a brow at Youngjae.

“How the hell should I know? The Jung family is all sorts of f**ked up…” Youngjae chew his bottom lip, not liking the creepy little grin that Woojin sent him. 


“You’re not mad?” Youngjae eyed Daehyun’s expression as he blew on his ramen. The two young men making a stop at a ramen shop after a long day of work. Daehyun had practically dragged Youngjae out of the lab, telling him that if he didn’t get food soon he would gnaw off Youngjae’s leg...though Daehyun would rather eat something else of Youngjae’s, but that was for his dirty thoughts and his dirty thoughts alone. 

“Why would I be mad? I would have invited you guys myself if that Woojin didn’t. Or even Yongguk since he’s going to be there too.” Daehyun shrugged, slurping up a chunk of noodles. Okay, he was lying when he said he wasn’t mad. He was furious that Woojin had approached his friends. He approached Youngjae and provoked Himchan. He knew that sly snake would try to do something while he was bombarded with clientele meetings and productions presentations. He just didn’t know exactly what and that was what was killing him. 

“Hmmmm….” Youngjae nodded his head slightly, unconvinced. The wrinkles between Daehyun’s brows gave away the hidden annoyance. But he didn’t want to push Daehyun any further. Any business that involved Woojin, Daehyun wanted it as far away from his friends as possible so if wanted to Daehyun open up he would. If he didn’t then Youngjae would keep mum about it. It wasn’t his place to say anything. Youngjae munched on his noodles then took a sip of his soda when he noticed the little bandages wrapped around Daehyun’s fingers. “Seriously are you a walking punching bag or something? First the black eye and now your hands are covered in bandages?” Youngjae grabbed Daehyun’s hand, examining the injuries. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Love me and take care of me in a cute little nurse outfit?” Daehyun teased, but he partially wanted his words to be true. 

“Yeah and then I’ll add high levels of morphine into your IV drip,” Youngjae stuck out his tongue at Daehyun’s remark. “But seriously, you need to stop getting hurt.” Youngjae gently brushed over Daehyun’s injuries, his eyes soften with concern. He didn’t like Daehyun getting hurt. He didn’t like any of his friends getting hurt. But Daehyun getting hurt bothered him even more. 

“Awww, are you concerned about me chipmunk?’ Daehyun snickered, enjoying the care Youngjae was given him. The attention. If he could, he would bottle it and keep it all to himself. 

“Pfft, of course I am or else who would sign my paychecks.” Youngjae scoffed, releasing Daehyun’s hand before going back to his food. 


“Ouch. Seriously, why must you abuse my sensitive heart?” Daehyun shed crocodile tears in a dramatic fashion.

“The only thing that’s sensitive is your libido,” Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Speaking of paychecks though, I’ll pay for dinner this time.”

“You don’t have to. I can seriously cover-”

“This is not up for discussion.” Youngjae stated bluntly, going on to eat his noodles without leaving Daehyun room to argue. 

“Geez, so demanding. I feel sorry for your future husband,” Daehyun snorted. “Speaking of feeling sorry though...are you really going to wear this type of outfit to the party?” Daehyun eyed Youngjae’s outfit, not liking it at all, but tolerated it since it was on the chipmunk’s body. 

“Yeah? Got a problem, cause I could upgrade to a Hefty trash bag for your fancy party.” Youngjae snorted, a snarky grin on his face. 

“No, I don’t. Apparently my eyes have become desensitized by your ugly outfits,” Daehyun smirked, taking a small shot of alcohol. “But you know how some of those rich pricks are.”

“Yeah I know, I deal with one nearly every day,” Youngjae chuckled as Daehyun made a face at him, not appreciating the little snide remark. “But you’re a special case.” Youngjae chuckled and Daehyun’s heart was immediately soothed. He didn’t understand it. How could Youngjae’s words affect him so much? One moment the chipmunk would make him annoyed and frustrated like no tomorrow and in the next Daehyun was a pile mush by a simple smile. 

“Awww thanks, I really appreciate it.” Sarcasm dripping from Daehyun’s voice, but a smile never leaving his plump lips. 

“Your welcome. Happy to be of service for my lovely boss.” Youngjae did a dramatic bow, eliciting the elder man to playfully punch him in the arm. 


“God I feel so out of place…” Youngjae sighed, sipping on his glass of champagne as he soaked in his surroundings. 

Beautiful human beings were chit chatting with each others in designer clothes that cost more than probably Youngjae’s life. Jewels and expensive cologne/perfume dripping off of them. Small talk, business, talk, flirting, spectrums of conversation that Youngjae did not want to take part in. The high roof ceiling of the grand ballroom that the Jung’s owned seemed to be endless, with it’s skyroof reflecting the beautiful night sky. The fountain in the center ball room was probably not even spewing out normal water, it was probably spewing out filtered fresh waters from the glaciers of the north pole. All in all, everything screamed money. Something that Youngjae was lacking.

“Tell me about it.” Zelo sighed, tucking his hands in his suit, not enjoying the crowd of people. Zelo looked boyishly handsome in his dark blue suit, his pants held up with a pair of black suspenders over his white button up. His fluffy dirty blonde hair styled nicely, highlighting his manly features. He was garnering a lot of attention. Particularly the elderly women who kept trying to pinch his ….he was pretty sure that some creepy old men were trying too. Ick. 

“You guys just need to loosen up.” Himchan chuckled, leaning back against the wall.

“Easy for you to say.” Youngjae rolled his eyes. Himchan looked way too comfortable. His jet black hair slicked back revealing his delicate yet chiseled features. His suit just hugged him oh-so-nicely. And what did Youngjae looked like? Disheveled hair, thicker glasses, an off yellow-gray suit that didn’t fit him well at all. Youngjae looked like a hot mess. Okay not even hot, just a mess. Of course, he would feel so out of place. Plus Himchan had the perfect accessory. 

“I’m actually not too fond of these events either. Too noisy and stuffy.” Yongguk chuckled, a glass of water in his hand. Himchan grinned at his boyfriend, taking away his glass of water and replacing it with a glass of champagne. 

“And that’s why you have me here, Gukkie. To keep the vultures away.” Himchan smirked.

“That and I enjoy your company.” Yongguk flashed Himchan a playful smile. 

“That is a given.” Himchan shrugged.

“Uhg, you guys are disgustingly cute.” Youngjae gagged, crossing his arms bored. 

“Don’t be a bitter old woman, just cause you don’t have a man,” Himchan chuckled. “Ya know, at first I didn’t want Daehyun to have anything to do with you, for obvious reasons, but seeing as how close you two have become I think you two would make a cute couple.” Himchan snickered though the younger shot him a bitter glare. 

“Uhg! I told you, we are just friends! For a genius, you’re kind of dumb.” Youngjae stuck out his tongue in retaliation. 

“You’re as much as friends as Zelo and Jongup are,” Himchan scoffed, but not forgetting his little baby boy. “Speaking of, when are you two getting together? You guys obviously like each other.”

“I-I don’t know!” Zelo’s face began to turn red, and this time it wasn’t because of the alcohol. “Jongup is so mature and kind...and good-looking. He probably doesn’t even think much of me except as an intern…” Zelo mumbled, not liking his own answer. 

“Oh God, not another oblivious couple, what are we are going to do, Gukkie?” Himchan dramatically went into Yongguk’s arms, causing the latter to chuckle.

“Hmph, says the man who practically drooled over Yongguk for months and used his dongsaengs to help him on dates.” Himchan glared at Youngjae who now had a confident smirk on his face. 

“Talk about being whipped~” Zelo contributed with a sing-song voice.

“Gukkie! My kids are ganging up on me again.” Himchan buried his face in Yongguk’s chest. Yongguk let out an amused laugh, gently petting Himchan’s head in a soothing manner. 

“Haha that’s just their way of showing affection,” Yongguk left a small peck on top of Himchan’s head. “But you should think about it, Youngjae. Daehyun talks about you a lot. You should see the sparkle in his eyes when he talks about how hard you're working on your project. He says he really admires you.” Youngjae couldn’t hide the smile and pleasant redness that was growing on his face. Daehyun said those things about him? That was unexpected to say the least. He had expected that the man would go around complaining about his clothing style, not praise him and his work. It was refreshing compared to his last relationship. It seems that his ex only had things for Youngjae to change about himself. 

“I-I…” Youngjae’s words were caught in his throat. Did he like Daehyun? He enjoyed spending time with the man, talking to him. But that could be categorized as friendship. Did he want to have with Daehyun? Yes, but that was just Youngjae being a thirsty hoe. Did he want a relationship with Daehyun? Now that was the real question. Daehyun obviously did not want a relationship with the way he slept around with every pretty . And Youngjae wanted a relationship. He wanted to be loved, cherished. To be someone’s one and only and Daehyun couldn’t give him that. 

“Youngjae, glad to see you here,” Woojin smiled, approaching the group of boys. Yongguk giving the man a slight glare, stepping protectively in front of Himchan, knowing the jab Woojin made at Himchan a couple weeks ago. “Congratulations on getting your medicine approved. I hear that the you’ll be making the presentation soon to the medical board as well as the press.”

“Uh yeah….thanks…” Youngjae smiled politely. He really wanted to push that fact out his mind. He could present his research to Phds not sweat, but a mob of reporters and cameras. Youngjae felt unsettled. They would bombard him with questions that probably had nothing to do with the science of his medicine. This was the politics of the business and science world that Youngjae loathed. Plus millions of people would be watching him, judging him. He really didn’t need any more judging in his life. 

“I would love to introduce you to some people that are interested in your research,” Woojin’s fake smile never leaving. God how Youngjae just wanted to smack that off his face. Both Zelo and Yongguk instinctively stood between Woojin and Youngjae, not liking the man’s sudden interest in their friend. “I promise I won’t bite.” 

Youngjae eyed both Zelo and Yongguk, silently thanking them, but he could hold his own. If Woojin wanted to pick a fight with him cause he was friend with Daehyun, then have at it. Youngjae was ready to kick if needed to….that or poison them with laxative tea. “Sure, I’d love to meet them.” Now it was Youngjae’s turn to toss the fake smiles. 

Woojin’s grin grew wider. Youngjae was definitely interesting. A fighter. And Woojin wondered just how much he had to push to get this fighter to become dust. Woojin extended his arm away, gesturing for Youngjae to walk before him. Youngjae handed his glass of champagne to Himchan before he reluctantly followed Woojin, weaving through the crowd of filthy rich individuals. From the corner of his eyes he saw a familiar face. Daehyun, looking as handsome as ever. His jet black hair was messily neat, his y beauty mark highlighted by the light of the ballroom, and his ears were decorated with simple silver earrings, everything making him look effortlessly good-looking. His dark navy blue suit was tailored perfectly to his body, highlighting all his muscles. He looked like a ‘living Adonis’ as Daehyun had oh-so-eloquently mentioned before. The only thing stunting his gorgeous looks was the obvious frown on his face as he spoke to an equally handsome elderly man and a beautiful woman. From the sneer on Daehyun’s face, Youngjae assumed that the two were Mr. and Mrs. Jung. 

“Here he is, ladies.” Woojin presented several young beautiful women before Youngjae, a look of disgust on their face. Youngjae knew that Woojin was leading him to trouble, but he didn’t think it would be of the female variety. 

“This is him? Really?” A female clad in a tight violet dress, eyed Youngjae up and down, unimpressed. 

“I’ll leave you all to get acquainted,” Woojin made a slight bow. “Youngjae, ladies, I will take my leave. Some other guest seem to request my presence.” A sly smirk flashing on Woojin’s face before quickly disappearing. The ladies may have not seen it, but Youngjae definitely did. 

“I can’t believe Daehyun has been ignoring us for this. I mean look at him.” Another girl scoffed in disbelief, her overly makeuped face forming wrinkles. 

“If you girls are just gonna about me. Then I’m going to leave. I like to keep my ears intact and your high-pitch whiny voices are damaging them.” Youngjae scoffed. 

“What the actual hell!? Excuse me, but you better watch your mouth. We have so much money we can buy you.” Another girl growled. 

“Like I would want to be sold to you. I may be poor, but I have better taste than that.” Youngjae growled. 

“Oh my gosh, Daehyun has lowered his standards to hang out with people like him. Like he reeks of poverty and unsophistication.” The violet dressed girl contorted her face with disgust.   

“I know, right? It’s no wonder his family looks down on him.” The heavily makeup girl chuckled. 

Youngjae was beginning to feel furious. Who gave these es the right to judge someone’s worth based on who they hung out with? Youngjae knew that these types of people existed, but he hoped that the stereotypical rich mold was broken. His hopes were utterly squashed within less than 10 minutes. “You girls can yap all you want, but I bet you’re all just thirsty for Daehyun,” Youngjae scoffed, a smile spreading on his face as he saw the shock on theirs. “And just cause he doesn’t give you the time of day you’re throwing a fit. I guess you girls are what they call one and done, but Daehyun must have been hella intoxicated to get past all of this.” Youngjae gestured with his hand the girls’ entire being. 

“You f**kin wench! You and your poor don’t belong here!” The girl shrieked, throwing her champagne in Youngjae’s face. The boy now dripping in the bitter sweet alcohol. Now all eyes were on him. Murmurs as to why a person like him was here. How could someone let him in. That they should call security for him assaulting the girls. Youngjae could see Zelo, Himchan, and Yongguk approach him from the corner of his eye, but he put his hand up, gesturing to them that they didn’t need to come to his rescue. He just chuckled at all the commotion, running his fingers through his soaked hair. An arrogant smirk spreading on his face as he looked down at the girls. 

“Yeah I don’t belong here and I wouldn’t want to be. Who the hell wants to hang out with the rotted and brain dead?” Youngjae scoffed, turning on his heel and walking off, leaving the es stunned. 



”I’m glad to see you here, Daehyun,” Mr. Jung placed his hand on his shoulder. “And Mr. Moon, thank you very much for taking care of our son. You’re father would be proud.”

“Thank you, Mr. Jung.” Jongup bowed slightly.

Daehyun scoffed and crossed his arms, putting his weight on one leg. “Hmph, he’s only so glad to see us so he can pretend to play happy family for all of our partners and investors.”

“Dae-”

“It’s okay, hunny. No need to be upset over Daehyun,” Mrs. Jung cooed at her husband, rubbing his shoulders. Daehyun wanted to gag. Like could someone please gag him with a spoon. “Shouldn’t you enjoy this night Daehyun? After all you might find your potential wife here.”

“Wouldn’t you like that,” Daehyun growled, glaring daggers at the step-. “A pawn that would own half my assets for you to control.”

“My my, aren’t you imaginative,” She let out a chuckle, a devious smile never leaving her lips. “I just want what’s best for the company. How would the press take it when they find out Jung Corp's. oldest son was a manwhore sleeping around with women and men.” The disgust in her voice was eminent.

“They’d take it a lot better than the - who had an affair with the owner of Jung Corp. and conceived a bastard.” Daehyun snarled back.

This is why he hated these events. He had to see his family way more than the healthy decade dose. Shoving down everyone’s throats the happy family image they will never be. The fake smiles and amicable conversations that were just a mere illusion to the toxicity that was the Jung family. Daehyun felt as if he was cursed at times. That with a family like his how could he even begin to comprehend how to care for another. So why should he even try? He did not want to have someone go through the pain and suffering he went through. But he wanted to try…

“Daehyun,” His father growled, letting out an exasperated sigh. Perhaps it would be best to divert the conversation away from their messed up family life. “I’ve heard that you’ll be launching a new pharmaceutical soon.”

Daehyun clearer his throat, not minding the business talk he had with his father. Despite being a horrible role model and parent, Daehyun would begrudgingly admit that his father was a good businessman. “Yeah, we’ll be running clinical trials after the press announcement.”

“I see. Excellent work.” Mr. Jung took a sip of his champagne. Mrs. Jung a bit miffed that he did not mention Woojin’s achievements.

“Good job, Daehyun,” Mrs. Jung flashed a painted smile before hugging herself closer to Mr. Jung’s body. “Woojin was also able to successfully close a deal with that tech mogul in California. Aren’t our boys excellent?”

“You mean your boy and me. I am not your boy in any sense.” Daehyun’s frown became more imminent.

“Mr. Moon you should watch who Daehyun hangs around with. He’s seems to be surrounded with rude, low class fellows.” Mrs. Jung boredly looked at her nails. Oh how Daehyun wanted to rip those fake extensions out of her hair.

“Daehyun is a grown man, Mrs. Jung. He may choose whoever he wishes to acquaint with. What right do I have to stop him.” Jongup said calmly, knowing that adding more fuel to this wild fire would cause Smokey the Bear to get involved. But that didn’t mean he was gonna let her talk trash about Daehyun. 

“Hmph,” She rolled her eyes. “Oh look there is Woojin.” She waved at her son as he weaved through the crowd, a sly devilish smirk on his face.

“Hello Mother,” Woojin leaned down and pressed a kiss on her cheek before nodding at his father. “Brother.” He flashed Daehyun a smile.

“Asshat.” Daehyun snarled rolling his eyes.

Mrs. Jung shot Daehyun a dirty look before going to her bright smiley face as she addressed her son. “Where have you been, Woojin?”

“Just chatting with some of the scientist from the pharmaceuticals department.The ones doing the press event in a few weeks. I introduced the lead researcher to some of the fellows here.” Woojin shot Daehyun a knowing grin, seeing as how the latter was already beginning to feel frustrated. 

Daehyun hadn’t had the chance to see Youngjae let alone speak to him. He had to go kiss to rich folk. The ones who wanted his influences, the rich es that wanted him to f**k them to no tomorrow, and the rich s who wanted to f**k him. Daehyun just wanted to go home. Or even better, go out and have chicken and beer with Youngjae and co. But no, Woojin saw him instead. Talked to him. Deep down in the pit of Daehyun’s stomach, he knew that it wasn’t a good sign.  

“You f**kin wench! You and your poor don’t belong here!” Suddenly the bustling room fell silent as all eyes were on a group of girls and a drenched chipmunk. Daehyun’s eyes went wide at the instant recognition. Woojin eyed the entire situation with a smug grin on his face.

“What the f**k did you do!” Daehyun snarled at him, but Woojin simply shrugged. That smug grin still plastered on.

“I did nothing. But it seems your friend has riled up our guest.” Woojin snickered enjoying the pure rage on Daehyun’s face. Jongup was also glaring daggers at the man. It seemed that Daehyun confirmed his suspicions that Youngjae was special. And the perfect target to injure Daehyun with.

“I’m gonna f**kin ki-”

“Yeah I don’t belong here and I wouldn’t want to be. Who the hell wants to hang out with the rotted and brain dead?” Daehyun froze his attempted murder, watching Youngjae scoff and leave the girls. A swell of pride entered his heart. That was his chipmunk alright. Daehyun shot Woojin one last glare before turning on his heel to go check on Youngjae.

“I swear you peice of , pull a stunt like this again and I will have your throat.” Daehyun growled, stomping away.

“Well that was exciting, wasn’t it Mother? Father?” Woojin chuckled, grabbing a glass of champagne and taking a sip.



“That bastard!” Himchan shrieked about to run up and claw Woojin’s face off, throw it in a litter box, and have a cat piss on it (luckily Yongguk was holding him back). The bastard had set Youngjae up. And no one messed with Himchan’s kids except Himchan. And Yongguk...but that was only because Himchan gave him permission. 

“I’ll go check on Youngjae hyung.” Zelo was about to go out and follow his hyung when another hyung blocked his path.

“That won’t be necessary,” Jongup sighed, rubbing his temples. God, he was not paid enough for the bull he goes through. “Daehyun went after him.” The three other boys looked at each other, nodding in agreement that it would be better to let Daehyun handle this one. It was Daehyun’s brother after all. 

“Are you okay?” Zelo gently placed a hand on Jongup’s shoulder, noting how tense they were.

“I’m fine. Just another day in the Jung family I suppose.” Jongup shrugged, but flashed Zelo a kind smile. 

“What the hell does that Woo- bastard want with Youngjae?” Himchan growled, still wanting to claw said Woo-.

“He’s noticed how Daehyun has grown fond of Youngjae so he’s probably trying to get to Daehyun that way.” Jongup closed his eyes for a moment in contemplation. Knowing Woojin, he would exploit Daehyun’s weakness even more now that he had confirmed it.

“Are you sure you're okay?” Zelo leaned down to get a better look of Jongup’s face. The guard dog couldn’t help but let out a smile and pinch the giant puppy’s cheeks. 

“I’m fine. I’m starting to wonder who the real hyung is here.” Jongup chuckled.

“I’m taller than you sooooo…” Zelo flashed Jongup a bright smile, causing both boys to laugh.

“That just means you breath nicer air then us lay people.” Jongup playfully and affectionately nudged Zelo’s cheek. 

“Awww Gukkie they’re so cute~” Himchan cooed, pulling out his phone and taking a bunch of pictures. Yongguk chuckled at his affectionate boyfriend, noting which angle and lighting the puppy and guard dog looked best in.

“Thanks for ruining the moment.” Zelo’s face scrunched up.

“We were having a moment?” Jongup raised a brow, kinda wanting to tease the puppy.

“Uh I mean we weren’t-I mean if we were then that’s totally cool, but if we weren’t then-”

Jongup chuckled Zelo, deciding that he tortured the boy enough. “No, we were having a moment.” Jongup smiled, ruffling Zelo’s hair. Now everyone was laughing at Zelo’s expense.

“Uhg! I hate you all.” Zelo groaned, running his fingers through his hair.

“Except me right?” Jongup looked up and flashed Zelo that innocent angelic smile that Zelo didn’t know if he should take seriously or be wary of. Activate flustered Zelo mode.

“Okay, enough teasing my baby. Can we get out of this rich fest?” Himchan rolled his eyes, being sooo done with the entire night.

“Sounds like a plan,” Yongguk grinned. “I know a nice live club that is still open right now. But we’re a bit overdressed though.” Yongguk chuckled noting all of them were wearing suits. 

“I could make you underdressed if you let me.” Himchan wiggled his eyebrows, causing Yongguk to an amused brow.

“Hmmmm, tempting offer. But at the moment I’m satisfied with just having you by my side.” Yongguk kissed Himchan’s temple, causing Himchan to turn to mush.

“You are too f**kin precious!” Himchan buried his face in his hands, hiding the bright blush creeping on his cheeks.

“Uhg, Youngjae hyung was right. You guys are disgustingly cute.” Zelo gagged, but Himchan merely scoffed and stuck his tongue out.

“You kids are just too young to appreciate. Anyways, let's head out the night is still young!” Himchan shouted with joy as he dragged Yongguk towards the exit.

“And he says he is the adult,” Zelo chuckled and rolled his eyes, following his hyung. “Ack!” Zelo jumped feeling his bottom being pinched. Zelo turned around only to see Jongup smiling at him angelically.

“What? It’s not fair that creepy old ladies and guys can pinch, but not me right?” Jongup chuckled, grabbing onto the puppy’s arm and leading the way out. Zelo as red as cherry tomato.


"Ick.” Youngjae grimaced, flicking his arms to get rid of the dripping alcohol that was staining his clothes. The cool night breeze being his natural blowdryer. What a night. Youngjae should have expected something like this to happen. He watched enough kdramas to know that when es got pissed, liquid was thrown. At least the balcony provided him a nice view of the garden and night sky as he waited to dry.

“Hey, you okay?” Youngjae turned around to see a frantic Daehyun, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. Youngjae couldn’t but smile softly at the concern shown on Daehyun’s face. 

“Physically? Yes. But my clothes are ruined.” Youngjae snorted, leaning on the ledge of the balcony and looking out into the garden.

“Then it was a God send,” Daehyun chuckled, coming up beside Youngjae and observing the view as well. Youngjae snorted, lightly punching the other. “I’m sorry.”

“Why are you saying sorry? Was it you that splashed me with champagne cause if so, I’m impressed with your drag.” Youngjae chuckled, making an ok gesture with his hands.

“Pfft, I’m down right y in drag,” Daehyun chuckled and flipped his hair. The two boys laughing again. Youngjae felt as if all his anger had dissipated. His frustration gone, and he had to thank Daehyun for that. “But I’m serious. I should have known that Woojin would have tried something.”

“And what would you have done? Beat the out of him?” Youngjae quirked a brow amused.

“That and drive him out to the middle of Mexico and leave his unconscious corpse in the middle of nowhere with the tattoo ‘Daehyun’s ’ on his .” Now Youngjae was going into such a fit of laughter that his stomach hurt. 

God, Daehyun was the energizer that Youngjae needed. In all holy truth, Daehyun was the last person Youngjae thought he would find solace in. My how things had changed. Now Youngjae couldn’t imagine not being friends with Daehyun. Maybe Himchan was right. Perhaps what him and Daehyun had was more than mere friendship. But Youngjae didn’t want to acknowledge it. If he did then he would also have to acknowledge the fact that Daehyun couldn’t give Youngjae what he wanted. So why would Youngjae try to break the beautiful connection the two had? For what? He’d rather stay in this limbo of status quo. That way they could both be happy. That’s what he wanted to convince himself anyways. 

“Thanks for the sentiment then,” Youngjae smiled at Daehyun, the latter gently ruffling Youngjae’s hair. “But it’s no big deal. I have bigger problems up ahead than some weird rich dude who has a slight obsession with you.” 

“Please don’t say it like that. I can already feel baby throw up piling up…” Daehyun shivered, throwing in the back of his mind that his half-brother may be strangely fixated on him. Praying hard to Jesus that there are no ual undertones to that. “But you’re not nervous about your presentation are you?  The Yoo Youngjae. Bonafide sassy chipmunk is afraid?” Daehyun chuckled. 

Youngjae scoffed. “Nooo, I’m totally stoked about presenting in front of an audience who is more interested in the recent Hollywood scandal than the actual science of things.”

“It’s a private press conference. You won’t even be on TV and no pictures of you will be taken so why are you worried. No one is going to see you dressed like road kill,” Daehyun chuckled, Youngjae kneeing the other in the shin. “Ouch. You know if you need help, I can always tutor you instead of you abusing me,” Daehyun raised a brow, leaning back on the ledge with a playful smirk. “I’m great at conversing and seducing the crowd.”

Youngjae snorted. “And what price would I have to pay for that kind of lesson?” He rolled his eyes at Daehyun’s ridiculousness. 

“Hmmmm, what should it be….” Daehyun playfully tapped his chin as if he was in deep contemplation. Could he say that he wanted Youngjae’s affection or was that too straightforward? 

“It’s fine. Your lessons would be wasted on me anyways. I’m not very ‘charming’ or ‘friendly’ as people put it.” Youngjae making air quote notations.

“Well those people are dumbf**ks so why bother?” Daehyun shrugged. No one had any right to insult his chipmunk. Except for him….and only when it came to clothes. Cause even Daehyun’s affection couldn’t overshadow that. “I’d say you’re charming and friendly in a sassy and snarky kind of way, and I’m not just saying that cause you’re going to bring me a ton of money that I can rub in Woojin’s face.”

“That’s just an added bonus,” Youngjae chuckled. “I’m just hoping everything goes well and I don’t poison the entire population.”

“You won’t. If anything we’ll blame step- and Woojin,” Daehyun chuckled, but the worry was still showing in Youngjae’s eyes. The little chipmunk was chewing on his lower lip the more he thought about the possible things that could go wrong. “Hey, hey,” Daehyun gave Youngjae’s shoulder a small squeeze, and turned the boy so that he would be facing him. “Listen to me. You’ll be fine. No press,. No idiot CEO, No haters, will ever change the fact that you were able to accomplish something that could save lives. And if not now, eventually.” Daehyun smiled at Youngjae, feeling as the younger’s tense shoulders relax. 

“Thanks…” Youngjae could feel a blush on his cheeks. Uhg, he hated how his body was giving away his flustered heart. How much Daehyun’s words affected him. He just told himself that he wouldn’t acknowledge the feelings he had to Daehyun. No name to a face. But Daehyun being the he was, was making it really difficult for him. 

Daehyun took a deep breath. Now was the best time than ever he guessed. He couldn’t believe he was feeling so nervous over something so trivial. If Jongup could see him now, he would call him whipped. Daehyun fumbled in his pocket a bit, finally grasping onto the small light blue box he hid away. “I was going to give you this when you made your press presentation, but hey, I’m an impatient man.” Daehyun shrug placing the box in Youngjae’s hand, suppressing the slight redness that was creeping on his cheeks.

Youngjae raised a confused and curious brow, looking down at the unfamiliar box. A bit skeptical of it’s contents. He glanced up and saw the slight nervousness in Daehyun’s eyes. The way his thick lips were pulled together in a tight line of anticipation. Youngjae removed the lid only to find something he could have never expected. A bracelet. A silver bracelet with accented red and green jewels on it. And what shocked Youngjae the most that it looked as if it was an amino acid chain. An amino acid chain made of silver and rubies and emeralds. Youngjae’s eyes went wide wondering how much Daehyun had spent on this beautiful accessory and why in God’s name was he giving it Youngjae. 

“I wanted to thank you for your hard work and dealing with my beautiful, yet all the time,” Daehyun awkwardly scratched the back of his head. “I tried using the amino acids that made up your name…” Daehyun felt the awkward atmosphere creep in more as Youngjae simply stared at him, mouth agape and eyes wide. Daehyun just wanted the chipmunk to say something so he could stop rambling! “I hope it fits you, it was kind of difficult to twist the metal and-”

“Wait, you made this??” If Youngjae’s mouth could drop further to the floor it would. “How in the- are you secretly a blacksmith or something???”

“Haha, no...A client of mine works in the jewelry industry so he helped me out.” Daehyun chuckled. Getting all those burns and cuts on his fingers was worth seeing the shocked look on Youngjae’s face.

“Wait so those band-aids…” Youngjae was now piecing everything together. 

Now he felt as if his cheeks were on fire. Jung Daehyun. Playboy. Sometimes Asshat. Sometimes nice guy. Had made him. Him who looked like a soaking piece of roadkill. Some jewelry. And not something cliche that had no sentimental value in it. He made him and amino acid chain bracelet based on his name...even coloring the oxygen and nitrogen atoms with rubies and emeralds. Youngjae was speechless. His mind with an IQ of over 130 could not comprehend what was occurring in this one moment. How could the two of them who basically couldn’t stand the presence of each other at the beginning reach this point? Youngjae’s heart clenched, he could feel it beat so hard out of his chest he might have to call the hospital. Because no matter how hard Youngjae wanted to deny it, not acknowledge it’s existence. He had to. He fell for Jung Daehyun.

He fell for the asshat who about his looks. He fell for the snarky, playful guy who could become y to cute in less than a second. He fell for the sweet and kind guy who always looked out for his friends no matter the judgemental stares. He fell hard. And it hurt. It hurt not because Youngjae was in love. Oh no, he wasn’t a sissy teenage girl from a romance novel. What hurt was that he could never tell Daehyun he loved him. 


Thanks for reading! Comments, questions, and critiques are welcomed~

DUN DUN DUUUUUN! Chipmunk Jae has realized his feelings! Or is now acknowledging his feelings cause we all no Youngjae wanted a peice of Daehyun hehe

Importante!

So I was thinking! (And this is totally optional!) I thought it would be fun that at the end of every chapter I could post work that you, the lovely fans and supporteers, have relating to the story of course. So at the end of each chapter after the triple update, I will have the work of you lovelies posted! For examples if you want to do fanart, small little drabbles, poems, etc. Whatever your creative heart desires. I really didn't think that my first daejae story would get so much love and support so I thought it would be fun that we all share the excitement and enjoyment for this story together! Once again this is totally optional and feel free to message me with 'authornim this is too weird let's not do it' or like 'no. I don't wanna do this stuff." I will not get offended. If you guys want to participate just message me the link to your fanart or anything else you guys wanted to share :D 

Anyways since I proposed this idea, here is my own fanart of my own work hahah 

Brings back memories of chapter 3 riiight?

I used a YCH from pintrest cause I'm a lazy , but here is the link to the lovely resource :D 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457326537147378148/