A Promise Between...

The Not So Ugly Duckling

Youngjae let out a little hum as he gently swayed his legs that were lazily hung over the armrest of Daehyun’s couch. The warmth of his laptop keeping his stomach toasty as he read a recent research article about DNA polymerase mutations that his favorite professor recently published. He snuck a small glance at Daehyun, watching the elder lean against the frame of his large glass wall that overlooked Seoul. His white dress shirt hugging him in all the right places, matched with equally fitted black dress pants. His hair had gone from polished and prim to wild and rugged and the playfulness in his voice had become authoritative. If it weren’t for the fact that the elder was on a business call right now, Youngjae would have jumped that hot piece of . But he would have to keep that thought to himself, after all Daehyun’s inflated ego did not need to be the size of a damn air balloon. The elder had a light-hearted, yet professional expression on his face as he discussed stats and money math that Youngjae didn’t really comprehend.

“Yes, Mr. Anderson. Our tech team has finalized all the programs and codes,” Daehyun chuckled a bit. Youngjae took a slow gulp. God, hearing Daehyun speak another language always made Youngjae all hot and bothered. Youngjae nearly flipped a smart car the first time he heard Daehyun speak not one but three different languages at a company party they all had to attend. It just simply reminded him that his CEO boyfriend was not only easy eyes, but got a y brain to go along with it. “By the end of this month we can expect an increase of revenue by 5%. Yes….it was good speaking to you too as well sir. I look forward to our continued collaboration.” 

“Done?” Youngjae hummed, placing his laptop down and gestured the other to come over as he sat up right. 

“Yep, sorry about that, chipmunk.” Daehyun let out a small sigh before placing a soft kiss on Youngjae’s forehead. 

“For what?” Youngjae quirked a brow as the elder plopped down on the couch, making Youngjae bounce a bit, before resting his head on the younger’s lap. 

“For bringing work home, when I should giving you all my attention.” Daehyun flashed Youngjae a cheeky grin, only causing Youngjae to scoff and pinch the elder’s nose. 

“God, you make me sound a needy, clingy leech.” Youngjae chuckled as he played with Daehyun’s soft locks.

“And you’re acting as if you’re not.” Youngjae playfully glared at the elder and flicked him on the forehead. 

“Funny. Maybe you sleeping on the couch is even funnier.” Youngjae huffed. 

“Not even married yet and you’re already punishing me to sleep on the couch.” Daehyun chuckled.

“Speaking about punishment, you lost the bet, remember,” Youngjae cooed as Daehyun let out a groan, praying and hoping that the younger had forgotten. “You better wear the most hideous outfits the starting this weekend, mister.” 

“Not the diarrhea sweater!” Daehyun whined at the hideous thing. He swore he thought he burned the thing, but like freaking Chucky the thing kept coming back to haunt his and apparently getting its revenge. 

“Yes the diarrhea sweater.” Youngjae giggled, leaning down and placing an Eskimo sweaters. “Speaking about pieces of , how are things going with the meeting with the Board.”

“Great segway, love,” Daehyun chuckled as Youngjae merely shrug, grinning a bright, chubby cheek smile. “Well father managed to postpone back a few weeks. I don’t know how that’s going to help his fate, but maybe he’s buying more time to smooze the board member’s asses,” Daehyun said nonchalantly. “You know the old prick called me in a few days ago. Questioning me about how could I ruin the Jung family. Me, of all the damn people.” Youngjae gently ran his fingers through Daehyun’s hair, feeling the frustration in the other build up. 

“Why did you call me, daddy dearest?” Daehyun sneered, seating himself in the dark green leather arm rest as he watched his father seated behind his desk. 

“Is there a reason for a father to want to see his son?” His father’s voice was cold. Just like how Daehyun remembered it when he was a child. 

“For you? Yes. You never do anything unless it was for your own interest.” Daehyun scoffed incredulously at his father. Did the old man actually think that he cared for Daehyun? Please. The bat didn’t care about Daehyun then, why would he care now?

“I am just wondering why you’ve decided to go against your father and start this little rebellion against me with this so called meeting you’re putting together.” Mr. Jung glared at his son, watching Daehyun’s every move like a hawk. 

“Rebellion? More like pushing for the inevitable,” Daehyun scoffed in amusement and frustration. “You know there aren’t many things I can say about you father, but the one thing I will say is that you’re a damn good businessman. That was the one and only thing I admired about you, but you let the she- and her son even ruin that for you.” Daehyun spat back. 

“Watch your tongue, Daehyun.” Mr. Jung growled, clenching his hands together given a harden glare at his son. 

“Or what, father? You know it’s the truth,” Daehyun returned the glare. “Jung Tech, Jung Style line, and even Jung Entertainments. All of their stocks are dropping and you know damn well why.”

“So instead of trying to save our family, you’re trying to ruin it?” Daehyun immediately stood up and his father’s words. How dare he tell Daehyun that he ruined the family. The temper Daehyun had held back, flaring like a embers in a chimney. 

“Me? Ruin our family?” Daehyun let out a maniacal laugh, unable to hold back the sheer humor from his father’s audacious words. “You did that the moment you abandoned me and mother for that !”

“I didn’t abandon you or your mother.” Mr. Jung stood up as well, staring coldly at his son. His lips forming a tightline. The stress and the anxiety had seemed to stress the elder, his handsomeness fading into wrinkles and under eye bags.

“So what the hell do you call leaving her and me in the mansion? Alone. For months to visit that woman, huh? A damn vacation!” Daehyun clenched his fist, his teeth gritted together as every fiber of his being was wishing to punch his father. 

“You don’t understand! Life isn’t as simple as you want it to be, Daehyun!” The usually cold and calm voice of Mr. Jung had grown in volume and fiery.

“It’s simple to me. You seduced my mother then the moment you found out about her illness you dumped her like a wet rag! Oh and me, little ol me was the offspring of that ‘defect,’ you couldn’t risk that I was a screw up too so you go off and have a bastard with your !” Daehyun felt a stinging pain on his cheek as he saw his father glare daggers into his son. The stinging on Daehyun’s cheek was nothing compared to the pain and anger he had built up for years.

“I did what I had to do to get where I am. Sacrifices had to be made so I made them.” Mr. Jung’s voice returned to being calm, but the tone dropped to something even colder and mechanical than before. 

“Lesson learned, father,” Daehyun growled, stepping closer to his father so now they were basically nose to nose. Daehyun’s fierce staring boring holes into the man he called father. “Sacrifices have to be made so I will make them.” Daehyun flashed a vicious smile before pushing past his father and exited the elder’s study. 

“Dae,” Youngjae’s voice was slightly above a whisper as he saw Daehyun tense below him. Eyebrows furrowed, lips in a tightline, and his jaw stiff. “You’ve worked so hard for this,” Youngjae cupped the elder’s cheeks squishing them slightly, causing a small smile to escape the younger’s lips. “The company, its employees, they are very lucky to have someone who cares about them as much as you do.” 

Daehyun’s anger immediately melted. His anxiety and stress flew away like one bird. He never understood how Youngjae could do that. Make his complicated world so simple, so clear. It was if all the hell he went through was nothing, that Daehyun could plow through every obstacle. Daehyun had remembered the days where he was a mere intern, working nearly 18 hour shifts a day. Being degraded, demeaned. Basically someone’s with no acknowledgement or recognition from his father. The times he spent all night finishing up projects and reports for impromptu presentations. Making calls at all hours of the night in order to book deals with clients. All of it seemed like pebbles on his shoulder, knowing that Youngjae was beside him. Cheering him on no matter what he did. He felt appreciated. He felt that everything he went through was acknowledge. He felt loved.

“I’m lucky to have met you,” Daehyun gently reached up and pulled the younger towards him so their foreheads were pressed together. “I’m so lucky that you let me be a part of your life.” Daehyun grinned widely, enjoying the warm puffs of Youngjae’s breathe against his messy hair. 

“Well aren't you a lucky duck,” Youngjae giggled, playfully rubbing his forehead against Daehyun’s. “Now hurry up and go shower my lucky duck.”

“Don’t wanna,” Daehyun slightly whined, enjoying the comfort and warmth of just being near his chipmunk. “Too comfortable.”

“Come on ya big baby,” Youngjae chuckled, sitting back upright and nudging Daehyun. “I am not cuddling with a stinky wolf.”

“It’s called a manly scent, chipmunk.” Daehyun nodded his head proudly.

“Well your ‘manly’ scent is terrible so hurry up and shower,” Youngjae rolled his eyes, a bright smile on his face. “We have to wake up early tomorrow and help Yongguk hyung at the orphanage tomorrow.” Youngjae lifted Daehyun up slightly so he could slide himself out from under the elder.  

“I offered to throw Yongguk a party for his birthday, but he kept insisting on going to the orphanage,” Daehyun lifted himself from the couch, sitting criss cross applesauce as he watched Youngjae close his laptop. “The man truly is a saint.”

“Which is why I am so surprised he is dating Himchan and is your best friend.” Youngjae giggled until he felt strong arms wrap around his waist and pulled him against a firm chest.

“What does that suppose to mean, chipmunk?” Daehyun playfully growled, gently nipping Youngjae’s ear. 

“It means that it really does take a saint to date a diva and befriend the big bad wolf.” Youngjae continued to tease. 

“Ouch. I am so telling Himchan you said that.” Daehyun giggled, nuzzling his nose into the back of Youngjae’s head.

“Not if you love me.” Youngjae smirked.

“Low blow, playing the ‘L’ card like that.” Daehyun pouted, placing a small peck on Youngjae’s cheek nonetheless. 

“As you know, I don’t play fair,” Youngjae removed Daehyun’s arms from his waist and turned to face Daehyun with a grin, bopping his nose. “Now go shower,” Youngjae whined, pushing lightly on Daehyun’s chest. “I’m tired from working on the investor presentation for our new medicine so I want cuddles. Now.” Youngjae let out a huff causing Daehyun to lift up his arms in surrender. 

“I know you’ve been working hard, babe,” Daehyun cupped the back of Youngjae’s head pulling him close to place a soft kiss on Youngjae’s forehead. “Thank you,” Daehyun grinned. “And I will happily comply to my princess’s commands.”

“You better, peasant.” Youngjae flashed a haughty grin causing Daehyun to chuckle. 

“Oh Lord, you sounded so much like Himchan I think I pissed my pants a little.” Daehyun gently scratched his head, heading towards his master bathroom. 

“Good to know. Now I know how to scare the out of you.” Youngjae chuckled. Daehyun simply rolled his eyes at the younger. Why he was in love with such diva prince?  Oh yeah, cause he was whipped for the chipmunk. 


“Can you two put your phones down!?” Himchan let out an exasperated sigh as he glared at the two boys sitting in the middle and back row of the minivan Yongguk had rented for their almost literal family excursion. If one were to take a snapshot it would look like a mother scolding her oldest and second youngest son as the middle son slept and the youngest silently watching the whole scene, the father laughing at the entire situation. 

“Just give me a minute,” Daehyun put his hand up in a sign for Himchan to hold his tongue for a moment. If it wasn’t for the fact that it was a business call Himchan would have bit the younger’s finger off. Himchan simply wanted a fun, stress free outing. As in no damn work. “Yes...yes...there will be about…”

“Fifty.” Jongup quietly mouthed as he was also on the phone, getting work done as well.

“Fifty investors….the presentation will be open to the press so be sure to account for the extra guest.” Daehyun rubbed his forehead. Too many things were going on at the moment. From his business dealing with the upcoming presentation for investors for the new medication, to his dealing with his board meeting, to helping his good friend with...well that was a surprise. 

“Make sure that all guest have an ID tag….the list should be in your email…” Jongup let out an exasperated sigh. If the CEO had a lot on his plate so did the guard dog. It was an unfortunate package deal from hell. Buy one and get a ton of work for free. 

“Can’t you two do something about this?” Himchan pleading look at Youngjae and Zelo who sat by their respective partners. Zelo and Youngjae looked at each other before shrugging at Himchan. What were they suppose to do? Their boys were hard at work bringing in the mula. And what both Zelo and Youngjae have learned as poor college students was do not get in a way of income. 

“Just let them be, babe,” Yongguk placed one hand on Himchan’s as he drove to the orphanage. “You know how important this presentation is.”

“I know, Guk. I’m part of it,” Himchan rolled his eyes, but smiled nonetheless. “I just want work to be left behind. Especially on your birthday.” Himchan pouted. Yongguk glanced at Himchan and flashed him that gummy smile that always made the younger swoon. 

“It’s okay. I have my loved ones with me. That’s enough for me.” Yongguk gently squeezed Himchan’s hand, causing the other to nearly squeal with adoration. Himchan smiled sweetly at his gummy bear and leaned over to give him a quick kiss when Youngjae’s hand stopped him.

“Ah-ah! No distracting the driver. I don’t wanna die via minivan,” Youngjae snickered, which earned him retaliation from Himchan via the elder Youngjae’s palm like a 5 year old. Youngjae cringed and quickly wiped his palm on his sweatshirt as if the elder’s saliva was sulfuric acid. “You nasty.” Youngjae hissed, but Himchan didn’t care. The elder even had a triumphant smirk on his lips. 

“Come on, Guppie. Let’s just appease our Umma for once.” Zelo chuckled, gently squeezing Jongup’s hand. The guard dog looked up at the puppy, an amused of the brow and a grin on his lips. When did Himchan become his mother? Well Jongup guess by default since he was dating Yongguk...but if Zelo is Himchan’s child and Jongup is dating Zelo….would that technically mean he was dating his ‘brother?’ This damn family tree was too complicated. 

“Hey, how come Zelo can call you Guppie, but I can’t?” Daehyun frowned slightly, finally removing himself from his phone after finishing up his business. 

“Cause he’s Junhongie and well...you’re not.” Jongup rolled his eyes. 

“I see where your loyalties lie, Gup.” Daehyun playfully glared, only causing Jongup to poke the space between Daehyun’s brows to push his face away from his. Zelo’s chuckles filled up the backseat of the van. 

“Um excuse me? Aren’t you neglecting someone?” Youngjae pinched Daehyun’s cheek, causing the elder to whine a bit. “Now stop bothering the maknaes. God, am I dating a child?” Youngjae rolled his eyes. 

“I am 100% a man, chipmunk,” Daehyun huffed, but then a sly smirk spread across his face. “But you of all people should already know that.”

“You erted man child!” Youngjae shrieked as his face turned bright red, smacking Daehyun’s shoulder as the elder chuckled. 

“....I liked it better when they were quiet…” Himchan glanced at the back row from the rear mirror watching as Daehyun and Youngjae bicker. Daehyun then teasing Jongup, which earned him snap remarks or smacks to the head. His poor baby boy Zelo being in the middle of all the madness. 

“Here you might want these.” Yongguk opened the console in between him and Himchan and pulled out a pair of ultra sound proof ear buds that his company developed. 

“I knew there was a reason I loved you.” Himchan chuckled, leaning over and giving Yongguk a quick peck on the cheek before shutting out his noisy children. 


The children piled out of the orphanage, squealing with joy at the sight of the boys and grabbing onto the boys’ legs. They were jumping, laughing, and just down right excited at their new play friends. They honestly look like baby chicks peeping and fluttering around. If the sight didn’t melt the boys hearts then they would be dam-language-dang lying. The owner of the orphanage smiled sweetly at the boys, happy that they had arrived safe and that the children would be able to make new friends. Yongguk grinned at the elderly owner, quickly going over to the owner and speaking with her about today's itinerary. Yongguk knew the owner very well since he often visited the orphanage during his free time, building the kids playhouses or taking them on little field trips. Not to mention the boat loads of money he donated. He always enjoyed this place better than the bustling city of Seoul. How it was just slightly outside of the districts limits, rested on top a small valley surrounded by nature and serenity. The orphanage was basically an extension of Yongguk’s family. The kids even called him Uncle Gukguk, which he will fully deny, if you ask him, is his alarm noise (Himchan’s voice was his ringtone). 

“Okay children, I need to talk to the boys so please go back inside,” The owner ushered the little children to enter the orphanage, in which all the little chicks let out a unifying ‘aw.’ Youngjae just wanted to pinch all of their cute dumpling cheeks seeing them pout like that.”I just wanted to thank you all for coming here,” The owner grinned sweetly at them. “I told Yongguk that there was no need to since it was his birthday, but the boy is just too stubborn.” She chuckled. 

“Tell me about it.” Himchan giggled, knowing Yongguk’s stubborn streak first hand. The nights where Himchan literally had to harass Yongguk to come home from working overtime. No matter how much Himchan grumbled, the elder still managed to stay overtime without coming home to a locked bedroom and bed spread on the couch. 

“Are you guys talking bad about me?” Yongguk came behind them, a smile on his lips and a quirk of his brow. 

“N-no.” Himchan tried to play it off. It would have worked. If his children didn’t betray him. 

“Yes.” The rest of the boys said in unison. The bastards.

“I guess, you’ll have to get a timeout then.” Yongguk had a playful smirk on his face and Himchan swore that if they weren’t in front of this sweet old lady that could basically be his grandmother he would jump on Yongguk right now and ride-

“Okay, ew you two. Not in front of the kids.” Youngjae gagged, before gesturing to Jongup and Zelo. 

“Kids? Who was the one whining about Daehyun’s attention not to long ago?” Zelo quirked a brow a cheeky grin on his face as Youngjae stuck his tongue out at him. 

“You’re not helping your case, chipmunk.” Daehyun snickered, earning him a punch on the arm. Daehyun was his boyfriend hence he should be on Youngjae’s side. That’s how it worked in Youngjae land anyway. 

“Okay, kids stop bickering,” Yongguk shook his head in amusement. Though all the boys were grown men physically, mentally well...Yongguk would akin them to elementary school kids. Middle school kids if they were actually serious. “We are going to have a little party for the little ones cause…” Yongguk paused for a moment, taking out his phone and opening up a window he bookmarked. “We’ve got a meteor shower tonight,” A grin spread on Yongguk’s face as a twinkle sparked in the boys’ eyes. “So assignments...Daehyun and Himchan, you guys will be making the food and snacks. Youngjae and Jongup will be in charge of making decorations and Zelo and I will be setting up...Daehyun stop making that face.” Yongguk let out a small sigh at Daehyun’s pouty face.

“How could you be so cruel as to separate me and my chipmunk hyung.” Daehyun began to shed crocodile tears. 

“It’s not like I’m all too excited to be paired up with you either…” Himchan scoffed, rolling his eyes at Daehyun’s act.

“You know you love me, Channie.” Daehyun cooed, enjoying teasing the elder. Daehyun seemed to never learn. 

“I love you like ethidium bromide.” Himchan hissed. Yongguk was sympathetic to his boyfriend for dealing with his best friend. But out of the six of them, Daehyun and Himchan were the only ones who knew how to cook and Yongguk did not want to give the children food poisoning. 

“But come on, Yongguk, you know my poor chipmunk is gonna miss-” Daehyun gestured to Youngjae to make his point only to find Youngjae and Jongup happily talking about what decorations to make, heading into the orphanage for the supplies. 

“He seems fine to me.” Himchan snickered, putting his face besides a jaw dropped Daehyun.

“You’re not helping your case, Daehyun.” Youngjae smirked, chuckling as he and Jongup entered the building. 

“They are quite a rambunctious bunch aren’t they.” The owner chuckled, gently patting Yongguk on the back. 

“You have no idea, Mrs. Li.” Yongguk chuckled, stuffing in his hands into his pockets and watching his chaotic family. 


“So how are you and Zelo?” Youngjae giggled, seeing the usual stoic face Jongup turn a crimson red. 

“We’re...we’re good.” Jongup murmured. Unlike Daehyun, he wasn’t the type to be openly affectionate or speak about his relationships so publicly. His past teaching him that speaking too much lead to eventual pain. 

“Have you taken him on a date yet?” Youngjae quirked a brow, placing a finished paper star in a jar. 

“Um...the both of us have been kinda busy…” Jongup fumbled with the strip of paper in his hand/

“Jongup! You guys have been dating for 2 weeks and you haven’t gone a single date yet?” Youngjae’s jaw nearly dropped to the floor. Poor Zelo is such a patient pup. Jongup attempted to open his mouth to rebuttal, but Youngjae stopped him, knowing what he was going to say. “And lunch dates at the company don’t count.”

“It’s just…” Jongup began fiddling with his fingers. “I’m not very good at the dating thing…”

“Who is?” Youngjae smiled sweetly at the boy, understanding that Jongup may not understand how the transition from friendship to romantic relationships actually worked. 

“Daehyun.” 

“He’s a special case…”

“Himchan.”

“He’s also a special case.”

“Yong-”

“Okay enough with the name listing,” Youngjae chuckled, patting the guard dog on the shoulder. “You don’t have to do anything grand or special, Jongup. Zelo is head over heels for you. Small gestures from simply going on a walk with him while holding hands to even a homemade dinner would work. Just make some time for him you know?”

“Yeah...I guess I’ve been kinda busy with the presentation and everything.” Jongup sighed, realizing he had been neglecting his duties as a boyfriend. He hasn’t even been able to go on their usual lunch dates together. Zelo was so kind and so bright though. He wouldn’t even voice a single complaint to Jongup. He would just have that slight blush on his cheeks as he would sit on the couch in Jongup’s office, watching the elder intently work. Jongup would often apologize to Zelo for how boring the whole situation was, but Zelo would simply wave it off and say that he was content. 

“Ah! You know what we can do to up the romance for you two?” Youngjae grinned as the edison light bulb in his brain lit up. Jongup eyed Youngjae hesitantly. If Youngjae was anything like Daehyun, then his ideas would be...something. Jongup had to admit though that his plan for Yongguk today was actually a good one, if it worked out that is. Youngjae took the initiative and grabbed onto Jongup, pulling the younger so that he could whisper in his ear about his oh so amazing plan. Youngjae’s plan was a lot tamer than Daehyun’s, but their humbleness was about the same. 


“Why am I paired with you again?” Himchan grumbled, dicing up some sharp cheddar to make a cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese.

“Cause fate has a lovely sense of humor.” Daehyun snickered breading some chicken with potato chips to put in the fryer. 

“Fate, huh?” Himchan let out a snort. His eyes gazing out of the open window in front of him, Yongguk and Zelo chit-chatting on where to put the streamers on the tree. The children running around their feet, wanting to help as well. Their cute chubby legs bouncing up and down in attempt to reach the tall branches. Himchan let out a sigh of content seeing that bright grin on Yongguk’s grin as he picked up one of the kiddies, lifting her up so she could put a paper star in on the tree. Yongguk chuckled gently squishing her cheek, eliciting a giggle from her lips. Himchan knew that Yongguk would make a great father. Something unpleasant coiled in the pit of Himchan’s stomach. A father. A role that Himchan could never give him. As long as they were together that is. 

“Yah, Himchan!” Himchan jumped at the sound of Daehyun’s voice and his firm grip on his wrist. “Watch out, you almost cut yourself…” Daehyun let out a sigh, glancing down and seeing the large blade just a few centimeters from Himchan’s fingers. Thank the heaven almighty that he was checked up on the elder or else Himchan could never flip off anyone ever again. 

“Ah! Sorry...I wasn’t paying attention…” Himchan murmured, setting the knife down and sighed again looking outside the window.

“Clearly,” Daehyun chuckled, earning him a punch from Himchan. The CEO quickly wiped his hands on a clean towel before standing beside Himchan, resting his arms on the table and supporting himself. “So what’s on your mind?”

“Nothing.” Himchan mumbled, letting out another sigh.

“It’s obviously not nothing,” Daehyun chuckled, placing a hand on Himchan’s shoulder. “Our relationship may have not been well...an actual relationship, but I can tell when your upset, Chan.” 

“I’m selfish, aren’t I…” Himchan bit his lower lip. His eyes fixated on Yongguk and Zelo playing around with the little kids. From pretending to be monsters to playing helicopter. Everything was so precious that it physically injured Himchan. He swears that he has bruises where his heart is. 

“What are you talking about?” Daehyun furrowed his brows in confusion. In what context was Himchan speaking about because if Daehyun took the wrong turn in this conversation he would earn a kick in the groin….

“I can never give him that…” Himchan gestured towards the scene before. Daehyun let out a breath of relief, seeing that the situation wasn’t as serious as he thought. As in Daehyun junior gets to live another day. 

“He’s not asking that from you, Chan.” Daehyun gave Himchan’s shoulder a comforting squeeze.

“Because he’s a damn saint. But both you and I know that he wants kids. He wants a family and I can’t give him that.” Himchan began to rant hysterically. He knew he was being unreasonable. Yongguk loved him and he knew that. He was grateful for the other man’s love, yet no matter how much Himchan tried to push down his insecurities. They were there. They existed. The almighty Himchan could deny them all they want, but they were eating him alive.

“Himchan, listen to me,” Daehyun turned the elder so now he was facing the CEO. Daehyun staring seriously into Himchan’s eyes, something he rarely saw in the younger unless it had to do with business. “All both you and I know is that Yongguk loves you. Never doubt that,” Daehyun flashed Himchan a small smile. “I’ve never seen Yongguk so happy and carefree until he met you. He knew exactly the limitations that the both of you would face in future, but he also knows the possibilities you two can share. If you can’t have a traditional family, you guys can always adopt. Nothing is set in stone. So trust Yongguk, okay?” Daehyun grinned, gently patting Himchan’s teary eyes with a napkin. 

“Oh God, who would have thought there would be a day where you of all people would comfort me?” Himchan let out a snort and chuckled as he wiped away the rest of his insecure tears. Daehyun was right. Nothing was set in stone. There were no rules demanding them to live a certain way. Surrogacy, adoption, there were many options for them and though it may not be exactly what they wanted it was something. And something was always better than nothing. “When did you get so mature, huh?”

“I have always been mature,” Daehyun scoffed. “But you can thank Youngjae for giving me a push in the right direction.”


“Hmmm, I knew I raised my children right.” Himchan chuckled. Both Daehyun and Himchan bursting out into laughter.


 “Tadah!” The boys shouted as the lit up the star shaped lanterns that adorned the yard of the orphanage. The children stared in awe at the streamer and banners that decorated the trees. Rainbow colored star lanterns shining above them and star origamis decorating the table. Platters of yummy food resting on the tables along with an array of desserts. The children jumped in glee. Running up to the boys and hugging their legs tightly, planting wet kisses on the boys’ cheeks if they got the chance. The boys heart couldn’t help but swell at the sweet children. 

The children immediately sat down at the table, eagerly awaiting for the delicious food. Both the boys and the kids had a blast as they awaited for the meteor shower. Yongguk and Himchan playing little hands with the kids, Zelo and Jongup playing pretend with Jongup and Zelo acting as Godzilla. The little boys were having a kick out of the game. Pretending to be fighter pilots or cops to stop the monster that was giant Zelo and muscular Jongup. Youngjae and Daehyun were a giggly pair, helping some of the younger kids eat their meal. Wiping the crumbs off their chubby cheeks to feeding them spoonfuls of macaroni and cheese. Youngjae would wholeheartedly admit that this was one of his favorite moments in life. The kids were so sweet and innocent. They had to face the harsh realities of the world at such a young age yet they always had a bright smile on their face. Youngjae admired them and adored them so much. 

“Okay, everyone! The meteor shower is starting!” Yongguk cheered, grabbing Himchan’s hand and pulling him towards the center of the yard. Jongup and Daehyun glanced at each other, signalling to get the plan rolling. Zelo scrunched his face in confusion as Daehyun and Jongup suddenly slipped past them. He eyed Youngjae for answers, but the elder was also confused. The attention was soon pulled to the streams of light that adorned the night sky, decorating the dark blue galaxy with streaks of light. A collective wow and jaw drop was made. Himchan couldn’t help but feel giddy, bouncing up and down like the kids beside him. 

“Yongguk this is amazing!” Himchan cheered, staring at the beauty in front of him, and this time he wasn’t talking about himself. Yongguk grinned, gently squeezing Himchan’s hand as he stared lovingly at his boyfriend. 

“There is one more thing I wanted to show you though…” Yongguk flashed Himchan that gummy grinned he adored as Himchan tilted his head in confusion. What more could the elder show him? The moon becoming cheese or something? 

Suddenly the lantern lights turned off leaving the darkness of the night sky and the lights of the meteor shower to illuminate them. Himchan looked around in confusion as to what in holy cosmetics hell was going on. The children below him giggled as he felt one of them tug on his pant leg. Himchan turned around to see Jongup push a cake decorated with fireworks towards them. Himchan was now utterly confused. Was Yongguk giving a surprise to himself? The diva was all for treating yourself, but even this he had to admit was weird.

“Yongguk, what is going on? Are you giving yourself a cake for your birthday?”

“No, silly. It’s for you...well us, I guess.” Yongguk chuckled as he rummaged in his pants pocket. 

“Us? Um, babe, last time I remembered I was born on April 19th and you were born on March 30th….not exactly the same day...or even month.” Himchan wanted to tap Yongguk on the head to make sure everything was okay up there. He knew he shouldn’t have let the elder work so much overtime. 

“It’s not for a birthday,” Yongguk grinned. “It’s for this…” Yongguk nodded for Himchan to turn around. Himchan nearly fell over and gagged at the sight in front of him. There written out in star shaped lanterns was the last thing Himchan ever expected. ‘Will you marry me, Kim Himchan?’ Himchan was already spewing out ugly tears of joy as Youngjae and Zelo stared at him excited and shocked at the sudden pop of the question. 

“I told you to trust, Yongguk, right?” Daehyun, who was standing beside the lanterns with the power plug in hand grinned. 

“I wanted to ask you in front of the people you and I most cared about,” Yongguk gently turned Himchan around, wiping the tears that were pooling out of the younger’s soft brown eyes. “I’m sorry that this came out of nowhere and it’s not super romantic, but the kids really wanted to know who my queen was.” Yongguk chuckled. Himchan quickly shook his head, a smile growing on his face. 

“No, this...all of this was perfect. You’re perfect.” Himchan sniffled, chuckling and wiping away tears as the children gathered around them. The kids patting Himchan’s knee in attempt to comfort him for crying. 

“So can I take that as a ‘yes?’” Yongguk chuckled, pulling out a light blue velvet boy to reveal a simple silver band with words ‘My one and only’ engraved them. 

“Of course!” Himchan screamed with joy, wrapping his arms around Yongguk’s neck and going through another round of happy tears as Yongguk soothingly rubbed the other’s back. 

“So you were on this and didn’t tell me?” Youngjae raised a brow as he stood beside Daehyun, a smirk on his face. 

“Yeah, that’s a low blow. I feel betrayed, Jongup…” Zelo crossed his arms and pouted at the guard dog. 

“It wasn’t meant to be a surprised and tadah, surprise.” Daehyun chuckled, wrapping his arm around Youngjae’s shoulder.

“We could have helped, ya know.” Zelo rested his chin a top of Jongup’s head. 

“It was Daehyun’s plan so nag him.” Jongup chuckled, gently ruffling Zelo’s hair. 

“You planned this? Wow, you do actually have good plans.” Youngjae chuckled, placing a small kiss on Daehyun’s cheek, proud of his boyfriend as he watched how overjoyed Himchan was trying on the engagement. 

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that.” Daehyun chuckled, returning Youngjae’s peck with a kiss to his soft hair. “Okay, now who wants cake!” Daehyun cheered and immediately the man was bombarded by a mob of preschool to elementary children.


“Hey…” Jongup shuffled his feet beside Zelo, now that the two were kinda alone. Yongguk and Himchan were speaking to the owner about marriage plans, life plans, stuff engaged people do as the little kids were playing near them. Himchan holding one of the youngest in his arms, cooing at how precious the chubby kid was. Daehyun and Youngjae had run off somewhere. Jongup internally prayed that Daehyun knew better than to do any….’activities’ at an orphanage. Hopefully. Maybe he should give one more prayer.

“Hey, Jonguppie? You okay?” Zelo tilted his head confused at the elder’s odd behavior. Jongup was many things. Obvious. Stoic. Badass. But shy? That was more of a Zelo thing. The changes started when they began dating. Jongup used to have the audacity to tease Zelo and playfully push the younger’s buttons, but now? Now it was if Jongup was walking on eggshells and a small part of Zelo was upset at that. He didn’t want the elder to act as if it was a struggle to date him or that Jongup had to force himself to be with him. That’s not what Zelo wanted. He wanted Jongup to love him as much as Zelo loved him. 

“I’m fine...I just…” Jongup took a deep breath. God, why was he such a whale blubber at relationship. He swore that catching the legendary Mewtwo in Pokemon Red was easier than this. “Here!” Jongup suddenly shoved a stack of paper slips in front of Zelo. 

“Uh? Tissues?” Zelo glanced down at the paper. He felt appreciative? He guessed? 

“No its uh….just read it…” Jongup mumbled. Zelo took the stack from his hand and his eyes went wide in surprise. His cheeks turning a crimson red. They were coupons. Handmade coupons by Jongup. Some saying ‘Stop working and pay attention to me card,’ ‘lunch date card,’ ‘dinner and a movie card,’ etc. Zelo looked at Jongup then back at the stack then back at Jongup again. “I know I’m not very good at this whole boyfriend thing...and I’ve been neglecting you cause of work and well….Youngjae-hyung told me this would be a good idea.”

A small frown appeared on Zelo’s face at Jongup’s words. It sounded like the elder forced himself to do these things for him just to appease him.  “Jonguppie, I don’t want this if it feels like a burden to you….I feel like since we started dating all you’ve been doing is forcing yourself…” Zelo placed the papers on the table. 

‘It’s not like that!” Jongup shocked by his own sudden loudness. “It’s just...I don’t want to screw this up…” The guard dog murmured. Zelo looked up at Jongup in surprise. “I like you a lot, Zelo. More than I would probably like to admit, but I’ve also hurt you so much. You still loved me though and chose to be with me and well…I feel like now that we are together the last thing I want is for you to feel any kind of pain again. Especially because of me.”

Zelo grinned, grabbing onto Jongup’s hands and giving them a small squeeze. “It’s okay, Guppie. You don’t need to treat me like glass. I love the you who would tease me and play stupid jokes with me. I love the you who is protective of me and can sometimes be clumsy with their emotions. I love every part of you so it’s okay to be you. Even when you’re a workaholic sometimes.”

“Hence the coupons. I worked hard on those.”

“They’re made from construction paper and crayons….”

“A for effort….I even drew a dog on them.”

“It looks like a racoon.”

“When did you get so cheeky?”

“When I started dating you.”

“Damn. I thought Daehyun was the only bad influence.” The two started bursting out into laughter at their own silliness. 

“So can I use one of these now?” Zelo grinned pulling out one of the coupons and placing it in Jongup’s hand. Jongup looked down at the paper and a grin spread on his face as he read the contents. 

“Of course.” Jongup chuckled, leaning up and placing a soft kiss on Zelo’s lips. 


“If you don’t tell me where you’re taking me I’ll consider this kidnapping.” Youngjae let out a huff as he attempted to keep up with Daehyun.

“It’s called eloping, darling.” Daehyun chuckled, tugging Youngjae a little bit further from the yard. They were still within the vicinities of the orphanage, but just a bit off so that they could have their own privacy. The lights from the stars and meteor shower above as their companions as the soft grass of the field gently brushed their leg. The sound of laughter and cheers could still be heard from the party in the yard. 

“I don’t remember ever agreeing to elope with you.” Youngjae scoffed. 

“Ouch. Again you wound me so.” Daehyun shed crocodile tears as he sat down on the grass, patting the spot next to him for Youngjae to sit. 

“I’m surprised you haven’t learned yet with all the times you’ve been ‘wounded.’” Youngjae giggled, sitting beside Daehyun and lying down in the grass to look up at the stars. 

“I like tough love.” Daehyun shrugged, laying down as well. 

“Masochist.” Youngjae snorted.

“Only for you, babe.” Daehyun chuckled at Youngjae’s scrunched up face. 

“Ew no,” Youngjae lightly bopped Daehyun on the nose. “It was really nice what you did for Yongguk and Himchan…” Youngjae turned to his side so he could face his boyfriend. Youngjae etching out the edges of the handsome man’s distinct profile. Memorizing every dip and curve. 

“It was the least I could do. I honestly was planning this thing to be on a yacht of some sort, but the orphanage is a lot better,” Daehyun grinned, turning so he could face Youngjae as well. “Have you ever thought about it?”

“Hm?”

“You know, kids? Marriage? White picket fences with a dog?” 

“No actually...It never crossed my mind,” Youngjae hummed. Thinking back, Youngjae had surrounded himself with academics and books. Himchan being the only person who had considered family. At some point in time he had thought Jinsoo would become his family and well, he saw where that got him. The concept or idea never crossed his mind since he never really had a family to reference off of. That is until he met Daehyun. And Zelo. And Yongguk. And Jongup. They and along with Himchan were his family now. His family that loved and cared for him no matter what and he too returned the same sentiment. “But now...now seeing Yongguk and Himchan so happy and seeing all those sweet little children...I can definitely picture having a family. How about you?”

“Never really crossed my mind either…” Daehyun smiled slightly. Family. The word was foreign to Daehyun as if it were a different language entirely. What was family? Was it blood ties or was it something that bonded people together? Daehyun never knew nor could grasp the concept. He considered Mr. Moon and Jongup his family, but they weren’t his blood relatives so were they really his family? His father, brother, and step-mother were legally his family yet they were as unknown to him as the Black Sea. He never cared for the concept of family since all it did was bring him suffering and pain. But here he was with his ‘family.’ With people who cared for him, loved him, stood by his side whether he be a beggar or a millionaire. He knew he wasn’t alone anymore. “Until I met you…” 

“How cliche…” Youngjae chuckled, feeling his fingers intertwine with Daehyun’s. 

“Worth a shot,” Daehyun chuckled, bringing their hands up so that he could kiss the back of Youngjae’s hand. “I’m serious though, Youngjae. Before I met you, I didn’t care about wanting a family, wanting a future, wanting a relationship. All I wanted to was to rule the Jung Company and go about my days living on this never ending high,” Daehyun smiled against the back of Youngjae’s hand. “Then you literally crashed into my life...twice.”

“Those were on accident.” Youngjae grinned. 

Daehyun rolled his eyes, but continued with his speech. “You with your frumpy sweater and ugly glasses and...if I keep going I’ll be going on a rant,” Daehyun chuckled. “Anyways, no matter how poorly I treated you, you still treated me as a friend and I think that’s when I knew…” Daehyun gently released their hands so that he could softly grasp Youngjae’s fingers. Youngjae stared in confusion as he saw Daehyun slip on what looked like a ring, but it was simply a daisy tied in a simple loop, on Youngjae’s ring finger. “I couldn’t spend another day without you…” 

“Dae…” Youngjae looked up to see pools of chocolate sincerity stare back at him. Every ounce of love, adoration, and respect Daehyun had for the younger poured out him just by a simple look. His eye unwavering from Youngjae.

“Now this isn’t a proposal,” Daehyun chuckled. “Himchan would kill me if I tried to upstage him.”

“Yeah, please don’t die. I’m not into necrophilia.” Youngjae giggled. 

“Good, I like freaky stuff, but not that freaky stuff.” Daehyun and Youngjae both into laughter. The voice melding in the soft sounds of the night. 

“So what is this then, Dae?” Youngjae couldn’t help but stare at the simple little flower with such love. 

“A promise,” Daehyun scooted closer to the younger so that he could wrap his arms around him. “A promise that after I settle all this with my father that I will make you mine Yoo Youngjae.” Daehyun placed soft kisses on the younger’s forehead. 

“I’m already yours, Jung Daehyun.” Youngjae looked up and place a soft kiss on Daehyun’s plump lips.

“Well then more officially and legally mine,” Daehyun and Youngjae chuckled as they cuddled closer to each other. “Thank you for crashing into my life, chipmunk.” 

“And thank you for intruding mine, my wolf.” Youngjae snuggled into Daehyun’s chest. The two enjoying the night sky shining above them.



“You called me mother?” Woojin entered his father’s study where his mother awaited him. His father was out, hoping to persuade the other members of the board not to vote him out of office. Whether he was successful or not, Woojin had no clue. 

“Yes,” Woojin’s mother grinned, pressing her hand on the front door of the study. “I’ve brought a little friend of yours.” She opened the door, revealing a still battered, but healing Jinsoo angrily pacing the room. 

“Why did you guys bring me here!? Haven’t you ed up my life enough?” Jinsoo hissed, marching straight to Woojin. “You said it would be so easy to seduce Youngjae back. You never said that I’d be dealing with that psychotic brother of yours! I’m still healing from the ing beating his goons gave me and I’m being shipped off to the boonies!” 

“Well who told you to be a terrible seducer? Huh? I’ve seen snails woo mates better than you!” Woojin snapped back, not tolerating Jinsoo’s impertinence. 

“Now boys, listen,” Mrs. Jung’s voice cut through the air like a knife. “You want your revenge against Daehyun and his lover? I’ll give it to you. Free of charge.” Mrs. Jung grinned sweetly at Jinsoo. 

“What is the catch?” Jinsoo eyed the woman cautiously. He knew a snake when he saw one and she was the queen of snakes.

“The catch? No catch really…” Mrs. Jung sat herself down at Mr. Jung’s desk, fiddling around with one of his pens. “You just have to do one simple task that’s all. You’ll have your revenge and you’ll get your position in the hospital back.”

“Mother what are your pro-”

“Hush child,” Mrs. Jung hissed. “Let mommy take care of this, okay?” She smiled sweetly at her son before turning her attention back to Jinsoo. “I just need you to simply play around with the results collected from the clinical trials. You know make the impossible possible?” Jinsoo’s eyes widened. He knew exactly what she was asking for. Falsifying data. Something that could ruin a person’s career and reputation if found guilty. 

“Mother, I want to get rid of Daehyun as much as you do, but falsifying this data….the people in the clinical trial. They’ll be pulled off from the trials and the medication even though it’s actually working-”

“Do you want this company or not!” Mrs. Jung hissed. “There are times in which sacrifices need to be made. If you can’t stomach that reality than shut up and let me handle this.” Woojin’s eyes grew wide in shock. He couldn’t believe his mother would endanger innocent people who had nothing to do with the Jung family. Well at least he was trying to convince himself his mother would never do that. But deep down he knew. He knew how cold and calculative the woman could be. Afterall, she raised him. 

“Um excuse me, not to ruin this family moment here, but I’ve been removed from the case remember? I can’t access any files.” Jinsoo frowned.

“You can’t, but…” Mrs. Jung eyed her son. “My son can. Woojin, I need you to give Jinsoo all the access codes and information he needs to get this job done okay?”

“Mother-”

“UNDERSTOOD?” She growled, causing Woojin to flinch a bit, but ultimately concede with a forlorn nod. “Good, good,” She smiled that sweet smile once again. “Now you two hurry off and do what you need to do. I still have some work done,” She shooed them away as she grabbed a disposable cell phone from the drawer and dialed away. Woojin looked back his mother one last time. As despicable as Woojin may be he couldn’t handle the thought of outsiders being colateral to their family feud. The elderly patients, the child patients, they had nothing to do with Daehyun. They were simply victims of bad timing. And that was a hard pill for even this snake to swallow. “Yes, hello?” Mrs. Jung twirled the pen in her hand. “Did you get the instructions I sent you? Good good,” The tune of Ring around the Rosie playing off her lips. “Take as many pictures as you can. The more intimate the better,” She swung the pen back and forth as if she were conducting the song to an entire orchestra. “I expect to see excellent results with the next week or so… Excellent. I will call you back for updates,” She placed the disposable phone back into the drawer and grinned sinisterly as she leaned back in the leather chair. “Ashes. Ashes. They all fall down.” 


Thanks for reading! Comments and feedback is most appreciated!

I AM BAAACCCKKK FROM THE DEAD! Hahahaha I am so happy to be back from that nightmare of a test week >o

Soooo I've been thinking and based on how things are so far and there might be about 4....5ish more chapters left till this is done TT_TT But one end leads to another beginning, right? Hehehe :3