Fangs of a Viper

The Not So Ugly Duckling

“Daehyun, if you keep chewing your pens like that you’ll either break a tooth or run out of pens.” Daehyun was pulled out from his daze as Yongguk let out a small chuckle, placing the documents regarding their next collaboration on the coffee table.

“Ah-sorry…” Daehyun mumbled, tossing the dented pen into the nearby trash bin filled with other unfortunate ink filled victims. 

“Worried about Youngjae I’m assuming?” Yongguk flashed the younger a soft smile.

“How did you know?” Daehyun’s eyes went wide for a moment. 

“You’re literally only stressed about two things: food and Youngjae.” Yongguk quirked an amused brow at Daehyun’s pout. 

“You made me sound like I’m a Youngjae-obsessed fat …” Daehyun crossed his arms as a his pout became a scowl. 

“Am I wrong?” Yongguk let out a low chuckle as Daehyun rolled his eyes. 

“Uhg, what happened to my kind Buddha hyung? Dating Himchan has tainted you,” Daehyun frowned and stuck out his tongue. “In more than one way too.” Daehyun flashed a coy smirk as he eyed the elder’s neck. Little bruises formed a dotted trail. 

“Ahem,” Yongguk let out an awkward cough, pulling the collar of his white button up higher than necessary. “Well my little devil will be with your Youngjae so you shouldn’t worry too much.”

“I hope so….Himchan did guarantee that me that he would lob the asshat’s off if he even looked at Youngjae funny.” A devilish smirk formed on Daehyun’s lips.

“I heard. He asked me if I could pull some favors with the police just in case,” Yongguk let out a grinned. “Speaking of favors, do you need me to pull some strings to see what I can get on this Jinsoo guy?” Yongguk hadn’t received the full story seeing how his boyfriend was unwilling to share it without Youngjae’s approval. All the eldest knew was that the guy was bad news and had hurt his little dongsaeng, which is a punishable by whooping. 

“No, Jongup is using his…’resources’ to do some digging.” Daehyun let out a small sigh. 

“He still keeps in touch with those guys?” Yongguk’s face scrunched up in concern. 

“Yeah, I honestly thought he cut ties with them after what happened to his father, but…” Daehyun ran his fingers through his soft locks. “I feel like he holds on to that part of his life as a reminder of what happened. Like he’s punishing himself…” A small sad chuckle left his plump lips. “And I’m encouraging it by asking him to do the impossible all the time.” 

Daehyun chewed his bottom lip, feeling stress from all angles pile upon him. Whether it would be his concern towards Youngjae or his guilt and concern towards Jongup, Daehyun could feel every mental er punch that was given to him. He knew that it was basically his fault that the guard dog couldn’t be with the young pup. That his and his family’s issues caused Jongup to go astray, to allow his Secretary Moon to get hurt, to make Jongup shackled to the Jung family. As much as Daehyun wanted to set the guard dog free, he was dependent the guard dog. His best friend. His brother. Daehyun was simply too scared to lose someone he held so dear to his heart even if it risked being cursed by the Jung family. 

“You know, if Jongup didn’t want to help you, he wouldn’t. You’re like family to him too so you shouldn’t beat yourself over it…” Yongguk flashed his friend a sympathetic smile.

“Heh…” Daehyun let out a sad chuckle as he grabbed another pen. “Some kind of family I have been…” 



”No way, nu-uh, hell to the no. I’m sticking to you like glue.” Himchan clung to Youngjae’s arm, glaring at the nurse as if she offended him and his mother.

“Himchan, I’ll be fine,” Youngjae let a small reluctant chuckle. As much as Youngjae didn’t want the elder to leave his side, as the supervisor on the project, Himchan had to talk details with the director of the hospital. “Jinsoo is off to go see a patient so I’ll be okay.” Youngjae gently patted the elders hand. Honestly he had to thank the elder for making sure Jinsoo wouldn’t try anything, not that the snake didn’t try. Subtle brushes of the hand, low whispers that somehow only Youngjae could hear. It sent shivers up Youngjae’s spine and not the good kind. Thank heavens that a nurse came to get Jinsoo out if his sights. He wanted to be strong, tell the other to off and die in a hole, but a part of him was still that small Youngjae. Desperate and needy for affection and love, not realizing that the ‘love’ he was feeling was just dependency.

“Okay…” Himchan bit his lower lip, lowering his arms so that they fell to his sides. “If you need anything-”

“I know,” Youngjae chuckled as the elder formed a small pout on his lips. “Now get going before you get in trouble…” Youngjae gently nudged the elder’s shoulder. Himchan reluctantly leaving the younger’s side, glancing back every so often. 

Youngjae let out an exhausted huff of air, running his fingers through is soft locks. The entire ordeal was definitely more tedious than he had expected. He thought facing Jinsoo would perhaps give him the strength to move on, instead it gave him a punch of anxiety and a kick of panic. Though he would give himself a pat on the back for not breaking down in front of the ...Another tiresome breathe left his lips. Youngjae looked down at his lap, his brows furrowing at the memories. 

“Jae, sit here,” Jinsoo gestured for Youngjae to join him and his friends for lunch. Youngjae fidgeted a bit, not very comfortable with Jinsoo’s group of friends. He honestly just wanted to go buy a sandwich and book it back to the lab, but he knew that would make Jinsoo upset. “Come on, Jae, we ain’t gonna bite.” 

“Yeah, Jae~” One of Jinsoo’s friends teased.  Youngjae took a heavy gulp as he pushed up his thick framed glasses, approaching the table cautiously. 

“Here,” Jinsoo patted the seat beside him. Youngjae flashed a small grin as he sat beside the elder. Jinsoo made Youngjae feel secure, like he fit in. That he had a place, even among the elite like Jinsoo. “Have some, you haven’t eaten lunch yet right?” Jinsoo nudged his tray of food towards Youngjae.

“Aww how sweet,” The girl across from Jinsoo smiled sweetly, but Youngjae could tell from the dullness in her eyes that she was after his throat. He was used to it. Those were the only looks he was getting since and Jinsoo became official. He had mentioned it to Jinsoo once, but the latter just said that he was imagining things. “What’s your secret Youngjae, how did you get such a guy like Jinsoo to fall for you?” 

“I don’t know…” Youngjae smiled awkwardly, ultimately not knowing the answer himself. It was odd that the popular grad student would approach a mere sophomore. Youngjae thought the man was playing a trick on him, until he asked him out.

“It’s cause Jae is such a cutie.” Jinsoo grinned, lightly pinching Youngjae’s chubby cheeks. 

“Yeah, cute. Just like a girl.” One of his guy friends snickered. Youngjae couldn’t help but furrowed his brows at that. He hated being referred to as a girl, flashbacks of high school bullies confused about their uality popped into his head. 

“Yep, fragile and delicate. That’s why he needs me by his side, right Jae?” Jinsoo chuckled as he took a bite of his meal. Youngjae slightly frowned at Jinsoo’s response, Jinsoo knowing full well that Youngjae hated being seen as delicate. He didn’t need Jinsoo’s cocky friends getting that idea. “Awww, don’t frown. You know it's true. Can’t help it that you’re my princess.” Youngjae blushed slightly at his words.

Youngjae jumped a bit at the uncomfortable rumble of his stomach. He shook his head at the memory. At the time, Youngjae thought Jinsoo’s words were so sweet and romantic, but now he realized that his ‘sweet’ boyfriend was merely demeaning him, venom hidden under sugar. Youngjae walked up to one of the nurses asking where the cafeteria was. He was starving and dealing with Jinsoo made him want to stuff his face with sweets. Though hospital food wasn’t anything like a 5 star restaurant, it did the job with the mango sorbet calling Youngjae’s name. 

Youngjae grabbed a tray, piling up om the mango sorbet and a simple chicken sandwich for sustenance. A grin spread across Youngjae’s face as he seated himself in a small booth in the corner of the cafeteria. His mouth opened wide to munch on his sandwich when his pocket buzzed. His smile became a full blown grin at the site of the text message. More importantly who sent it.

My Wolf: Everything okay, chipmunk?

Youngjae: Yeah, Himchan has been making Jinsoo keeps his distance.

My Wolf: I wish I could be there ㅠㅠ

Youngjae: No! You have so much work to do! I don’t need you to babysit me :T

My Wolf: I just want to see your precious face instead of Yongguk hyung’s scary one. Or Jongup’s resting face one. o3o

Youngjae let out a snort at Daehyun’s words. He couldn’t believe that the same man who brought a cool million monthly for the company was so needy and affectionate. He remembered just months ago that the elder would just go around screwing around as if he wasn’t afraid how many hearts he broke along the way. Now the CEO was a ball of fluff and Youngjae wanted to say that it was because of him, but he didn’t want to get a big head. Youngjae glanced around, making sure that no one would witness him and his terrible skills. He pulled out his phone and attempted what he would call a selfie. He was never good at doing it. He’d secretly practice in the bathroom, but no matter what angle he’d put the stupid phone, he was never satisfied with the results. 

Youngjae: *photo sent* Satisfied?

My Wolf: Ah! There are my favorite sausage lips!! >3< 

Youngjae: I’m taking that as a yes? 

My Wolf: No, I want more. I’m greedy. 

Youngjae: It’s not fair that I’m the only one that sends them -_-

My Wolf: *sends a photo* 

Youngjae giggled at the photo. Even though Daehyun looked exhausted with his hair parted in the middle, tie missing, and his lips all pouty, the man was still hella attractive. He was slightly jealous at the man’s natural ability to take selcas at whatever angle he pleased and still looked like a hot piece of man. Youngjae, on the other hand, took 40 differents shots at 20 different angles to just get one that he deemed worthy.  

Youngjae: Black and white filter? How artsy fartsy of you.

My Wolf: I am a man of many interest. My main interest being you.

Youngjae: Oh God, that was cheesy! >w<

My Wolf: Cheesy, but loveable so give me another selca as a reward for being so precious. >3<

Youngjae rolled his eyes. Daehyun was right. He was a greedy little bastard. But Youngjae was happy that Daehyun was only greedy for him. The thought that such a powerful, good-looking man thought that Youngjae was his world, made Youngjae’s stomach bubble with glee. Youngjae would be lying if the thought didn’t give him a bit of a power trip, but as Daehyun was wrapped around Youngjae’s finger, Youngjae was wrapped around Daehyun’s. It wasn’t like that with JInsoo. Youngjae wasn’t scared into submission. Forced to give his undying love and loyalty. He happily offered it to Daehyun. Every promise Daehyun had made, every assurance, the elder had pulled through. The insecurities buried within his heart were plucked by a cocky, wolf. Youngjae let out a small chuckle of disbelief. He picked up his phone, attempting another pose. Or several actually.

“I remember when you’d send me those,” Youngjae jumped at the unwanted sound and pushed himself against the wall as the unwanted male slid himself in the booth. “Of course, most of them would be nudes.”

“Only because you forced me to...” Youngjae growled, trying to keep a strong front despite he his attempts to claw the walls. An action his mind thought would allow his escape. 

“I didn’t force you into anything, Jae. It’s so sad that you would think that way,” Jinsoo flashed a sad frown. “I thought you loved me.”

“I did. That is until I realized what a disgusting human you were.” Youngjae hissed, his body trembling slightly. Jinsoo, however, merely hummed, his expression nonchalant. The fear resonating in the pit of Youngjae’s stomach spread throughout his entire body. That nonchalant expression. Youngjae recognized it well. It was a calm before a storm.

“If I was so disgusting, Jae,” A small smile graced Jinsoo’s face as he leaned in closer to Youngjae. Youngjae turning his face away in order to reduce the amount of contact with Jinsoo as much as possible. “Why didn’t you just leave me?”

“You didn’t let me!” Youngjae’s voice cracked, his facade of strength crumbling before his nightmare manifested. 

“Didn’t let you?” Jinsoo slightly frowned once more, his hand reaching and caressing Youngjae’s cheek. Youngjae’s body was shaking, his breaths shallow and quick. Youngjae was internally screaming for help. Begging anyone to come save him. Himchan. Daehyun. Anyone. “You always had the chance to end things, Jae. I never threatened you. Even when Himchan screamed at me to break up with you, I did without a fight,” Jinsoo leaned in, his breath ghosting his ear. “You were the one that chose to stay.”

“I-I…” Youngjae stammered, didn’t know what to say to the other because it was true. Youngjae stayed with him because he loved him. Or at least he made himself believed that he loved him. Despite the abuse, the burns, he convinced himself that he deserved it for being an unfit boyfriend. 

“You came back to me remember?” Jinsoo’s hands ghosted over Youngjae’s thighs. “Begging me to take you back. Saying you couldn’t live without me…” Youngjae let out a small whimper as Jinsoo squeezed Youngjae’s thigh. “You decided to come back. You’re the one that wanted me, Jae,” Jinsoo chuckled. “I just gave you what you wanted,” Jinsoo’s hands began to travel further and further up Youngjae’s thigh. “And I can give it to you again.”

My Wolf: Hey Chipmunk, you okay? I’m still waiting for my reward TT_TT

Both Jinsoo and Youngjae jumped at the sudden buzz of Youngjae’s phone. Jinsoo tilted his head slightly, grabbing Youngjae’s phone before the younger could. His usual perfectly calm demeanor cracking a bit as his brows furrowed and a frowned revealed itself on his face. But as usual, that expression faded into nonchalant confidence. 

“I see you have yourself a new man to keep you busy,” Jinsoo shrugged, placing the phone back on the table. “I wonder if he knows all the naughty things, his dear little ‘chipmunk’ has done,” Jinsoo smirked, removing himself from the booth, leaving Youngjae still huddled against the wall trembling. “Or were you only willing to do that for me?” Jinsoo smiled, putting his hands in the pocket of his white coat. “I have a patient to get to. I look forward to working with you, Jae.” He flashed a sun bright smile before walking down the hospital halls.



“Finished.” Daehyun let out a huff of exhaustion, finally finishing up the last of his paperwork. He had managed to seal 3 deals with overseas clients, finished the paperwork for the joint project with Bang Corporation, and also managed to damage control for the recent scandal. 

“Reward,” Jongup placed a plate of strawberry cheesecake in front of Daehyun. The CEO eyes went wide with anticipation as he his lips. “Board members are impressed with how well things have gone after the scandal.”

“Those old coots better be.” Daehyun grumbled, stabbing his fork into the cheesecake.  

“You seem to be winning their favor, especially after Woojin failed to pull through with his deal with that Japanese CEO.” Jongup flipped through his notes.

“Good. Who told my father to give that such a huge deal to take care of anyway? Woojin may be good at scheming and socializing, but when it comes to the numbers, he has no clue.” Daehyun had done his research on the Japanese CEO, knowing that the man was OCD when it came to the numbers and stats. He had even called some employees to understand what made the CEO tick. “It won’t be long till I can knock them off their high horse.” He grinned, releasing the fork in his mouth with a loud pop. 

Jongup merely hummed, fiddling with his notebook. Daehyun’s cheery demeanor slightly faltering. His secretary was always the quiet type, even when they were kids he didn’t speak much. Well with others that is. But with Daehyun, the usually quiet and shy boy would talk comfortably. It may not be much, but he would talk nonetheless. But recently the boy had hardly uttered a word to him unless it was about work. Daehyun knew exactly why. Even though the CEO’s focus centered around his job and Youngjae recently, he still noticed the tension between the guard dog and the pup. Particularly the huffs of annoyance leaving the pup’s lips as he would turn his attention away from Jongup, frowning in the process. The poor guard dog not even attempting to chase after the giant puppy, instead he opted to just stare as Zelo’s back fades away in the distance. 

“I’m sorry, Gup…” Jongup looked up at Daehyun confused, his eyebrows furrowed. 

“Daehyun what are you talkin-”

“I’m sorry that the Jung family did this to...that I did this to you…” Daehyun flashed Jongup a forlorn smile. 

“Daehyun, I seriously don’t understand what you’re talking about…” Jongup shook his head, trying to wrap his mind around the words that were leaving the elder’s mouth. 

“I was a spoiled brat, not understanding that my mother and I were basically taking away the only parent you had left.”

“Daehyun, stop.” Jongup’s voice became stern, finally comprehending the elder’s intentions.

“I took advantage of your father’s guilt cause I was a jealous idiot....” 

“Daehyun!” Jongup growled, his hands balled around the notes in his hand. 

“You should have left me with those bast-”

“DAEHYUN!” Jongup slammed his notes down on the floor. His chest rising and falling heavily. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“We have to talk about this eventually, Jongup! I can’t let you hurt yourself and your future because of me.” Daehyun’s temper was beginning to flare. He tried hard to maintain his cool, but seeing his best friend, a brother to him, hurt himself...the guilt was eating Daehyun inside and out. 

“‘Me, me, me!’ Well aren’t you narcissistic!? The world doesn’t revolve around you, Jung Daehyun, or your damn family! If I have issues, they are my issues and have nothing to do with you!” Jongup growled, the volume of his voice rising to a level even Daehyun had never heard before. 

“Sure call me narcissistic! I’m sorry that my thinks the world revolves around me! I’m sorry that I feel guilty for hurting you and your father.” Daehyun stood up from his chair, slamming his hands against the desk. 

“Well let me tell you this. My issues with Junhong is not something you can in to relieve your ‘guilt.’” Jongup spat, turning on his heel and headed towards the office door. 

“JONG-” The incessant buzzing of Daehyun’s phone cut the elder off words. “What…” Daehyun groaned, rubbing the bridge of his nose in frustration.

“Daehyun it’s me...are you okay?” Himchan’s voice echoed from the other line. 

“Yeah, I’m fine. What is it?” Daehyun’s voice was unintentionally short and curt, but Himchan paid no mind. The seasoned relationship (non-certified) counselor understood that younger was upset about something. And though it didn’t take much to flare the CEO’s temper, it took quite a toll to make the CEO truly upset. 

“Are you sure? You don’t sound-”

“Himchan just get on with it!” Silence followed after. Daehyun’s eyes went wide for a moment before clenching shut, understanding his fault. “Himchan, I’m sorry. I’m just-”

“No explanation needed,” Himchan’s let out a small sigh. Daehyun relieved that the elder was not angry. “God, dealing with one upset child is enough, but two? I should be a damn nanny.”

Daehyun’s brows furrowed in confusion. “Himchan, what are you talking about?”

“I think something happened to Youngjae…” Himchan paused for a moment, a small bubble of guilt popped in his gut. He was suppose to watch his beloved dongsaeng, yet when he saw Youngjae in the cafeteria the younger looked like he was about to collapse in Himchan’s arms. “I’m sorry, Daehyun. I was suppose to watch him, but I had a meeting and-” Himchan stopped himself, knowing that his excuses was the last thing the younger wanted to hear. “He was silent the whole ride back. His eyes were unfocused…”

“Where is he now, Himchan?” Daehyun’s harsh steely voice melting into concern and panic. 

“We’re at your place…Well he is...” Himchan sighed once more. “The kid locked me out…I’ve been banging on the door, but- you need to come soon.”

“F**k,” Daehyun hissed, grabbing his keys from his desk. “I’ll be there in 5 minutes max.”

“Dae, don’t break any traffic-” Daehyun shoved his phone in his pocket. 


Thanks for reading! Comments are most appreciated! :D 

The story is reaching it's major with Jaejae's past unravelling along with Daehyunnie's and Jongup. And my gosh, poor Jonguppie can get a break. Poor pup has to get upper cuts on both sides TT_TT Don't worry, all will be revealed soon! Hehehe I honestly got the chillz writing Jinsoo's part...like ick. He's such a disgusting character Bleh! But well he has to be disgusting so that he could be hated right? hahaha 

Please comment! And since I've been gone for so long my gift is another Q&A session with the boys! With a cliffhanger like this there are bound to be questions right? So get it from the source hahaha

Daehyun: Do we have to do this in the most dramatic angsty part of the story?

Youngjae: Yes, we owe it to authornim

Himchan: -__- she bribed you with ice cream didn't she...

Youngjae: Bingo :3

Oh here are the selifies Youngjae and Daehyun sent to each other: