The End of a Friendship between an Ugly Duckling and a Wolf

The Not So Ugly Duckling

 Warning: Hella long chapter....like 26 pages...so be prepared...


“CEO Jung! Do you have any comment about the situation?” 

“Did you really force your lead researcher to sign the documents, not mentioning to him the contents?”

“Mr. Jung! Is it true you signed off on using cheap dangerous chemicals!?”

“CEO Jung! We’ve heard that the FBI is investigating you and your entire department!”

“Mr. Jung, do you have plans to resign from your position as Co-CEO of Jung Corp.?”

Daehyun merely closed his eyes in frustration, pushing past the field of reporters so that he could get into his damn building. The noise and flashing lights were likes knife stabbing his brain. His migraine had a migraine. Jongup and security managed to push the press back enough for Daehyun to get into the lobby in one piece, but all Daehyun wanted to do was to go back home and sleep. Sleep and pray that he was just living a bad dream. But he wasn’t. He was living in hell. Hell and confusion. Cleaning up a mess that he had no clue where it came from. He swallowed his saliva thickly, the fluid grating against the back of his throat as if he was eating sand. 

“They’re like f**king vultures…” Jongup growled, dusting off his clothes as the two of them entered the elevator to their floor. Daehyun simply let out a hum, contemplating how everything had literally and truly gone to f**king . 


“Get that document,” Daehyun immediately ordered Jongup. The younger looked at Daehyun confused, but Daehyun’s expression only hardened. “I don’t care how you get that document Jongup, but get it now.” Daehyun growled, immediately turning off the computer and leaving only silence between the two of them. 

“You can’t believe that Young-”

“Of course I don’t,” Daehyun put his hands together, staring intently in front of him. The gears of his mind going through to find a way to dissipate the situation. “Youngjae has worked too hard for this. And he isn’t an idiot to sign off on tainted drug.”

“I know. But that signature looks legitimate.” Jongup felt disgusted admitting that. But it was a truth that the both of them had to face.

“That’s why I need you to get that document. F**k…” Daehyun ran his fingers through his hair. “And then I need you to make a call to the press…”

“Daehyun...what are you going to do…” Jongup eyed the elder suspiciously, suspecting that Daehyun was about to do something reckless. 

“Damage control. If the public realizes that Youngjae was the one that signed the document his reputation, his accomplishments. All of it will be put in question and be tainted. Not to mention my old man will sue his for all he has.” Daehyun chewed his bottom lip roughly, tasting the slight tinge of iron from the blood that leaked through. 

“Daehyun, don’t tell me you’re gonna-” Daehyun only replied Jongup with a smile.

“Don’t worry about me, Guppie. I’ve handled worst,” Daehyun chuckled. That was a lie. He had never handled something worse than this. Not only was he heartbroken, exhausted physically and mentally, he was now about to become the most hated man in Seoul. “Call Himchan too. Make sure he keeps Youngjae away from the news,” Daehyun flashed Jongup a sad smile. “By tomorrow they’ll find someone else to blame.”


Daehyun slumped in his chair, rubbing his temples in an attempt to soothe his pounding head. For the past week the phone rang continuously, his lawyers telling him to keep mum about the entire situation. His father calling to yell his off again. Threatening to disown him if he didn’t deal with the situation. Ready to throw his son under the bus to save Jung Corp. if authorities were further involved. Investors and board members abandoning him and joining the Woojin bandwagon. Many calling for Daehyun to be dismissed as CEO. Woojin and his mother laughing at his suffering. Daehyun knew if he didn’t resolve the problem soon, he would be out of a job, out of a home, and probably in jail.

“I got the document, Daehyun,” Jongup handed over the paper. Jongup had to use his skills of persuasion in order to obtain the paper from the news network. Though he wasn’t as charming and charismatic as Daehyun, Jongup had his own ways of getting people to do what he wanted. That being very skilled blackmailing. For examples, pictures of the network owner being in a ‘compromising’ situation with a e. A situation involving a school girl outfit. And the e was not the one wearing the outfit. “The signature is off.”

Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows, raking over the document before stopping at Youngjae’s signature. He’d seen this so many times before that Daehyun had practically memorized every curve, every little nuance Youngjae’s signature had. And the signature on that document was Youngjae’s without a doubt. But there was something off about it. Daehyun gently traced the signature taking note on the anomaly. There was no indentation. The signature too clean. As if it was printed instead of written. Daehyun pulled out his phone, dialing a number of a friend that he trusted with the task. 

“You’re in deep-, Daehyun.” Daehyun chuckled, knowing that he must have really messed up to cause Yongguk to curse. 

“Thanks hyung,” Daehyun rested the phone on his shoulder as he continued to eye the document. “How is the whole Youngjae thing?”

“Good thanks to you. Youngjae has no clue that it was his signature on the document. The news has been flooded with you and how you might be kicked out of Jung Corp. and get arrested by the FBI.” Yongguk sighed. God, the gummy bear was stressed out of his mind worrying about his dear friend. He knew Daehyun was reckless, but he would always put work first. His priority. That was what Yongguk could count on. Yongguk just didn’t expect how much Youngjae had an impact on the guy. 

“Seems like I’ve caused you guys trouble. I owe you one.” Daehyun laughed sullenly. 

“You owe me nothing as long as you make this out alive,” Yongguk let out a sad chuckle on behalf of his friend. The line went silent for a moment. “You know he doesn’t believe what they say,” Daehyun stayed quiet, confused at his hyung’s words. “He growls at the reporters all the time and gives them the middle finger.”

“Sounds like him,” Daehyun chuckled. A sincere one. Something he hadn’t done in months. “Just make sure he doesn’t get arrested for assault,” Daehyun’s happiness flowed into utter seriousness, knowing that though the small speck of joy was delightful, he had work to do. “Anyways, I need you to do something.”

“Anything.” 

“I have this document that needs to get checked. Didn’t you have a close friend that used to work for the FBI as a forgery consultant? Do you mind if he checked this out for me. I’ll also send you a reference document to give to him.” Daehyun gestured for Jongup to grab him an envelope and gather the documents he needed. 

“I’ll talk to him, but I’m pretty sure he’ll be happy to help.” A smile spreading on Daehyun’s face at the good news because honestly Daehyun needed it. 

“Thanks again hyung…” Daehyun felt his tense muscles relax just a bit, knowing that obtaining this information would help mediate the chaos he was in. “And please...make sure Youngjae is okay.”

“Okay…” Yongguk went silent for a moment, concerned obviously laced in his voice as he spoke again. “But I’m worried whether you will be okay…” 

“That’s a question that even I don’t know the answer to…” 


“Those f**kin nuisances…” Youngjae growled setting his laptop carrier on his desk, slumping down on his chair. He was damn exhausted trying to pry his way into the building with all those reporters blocking the way. Youngjae hated their presence. Hated their gossip. They reminded him of the group of mean girls back in high school. He hated how they were bombarding Daehyun. How they were blaming Daehyun. How they were practically breaking the man down. He hated how he couldn’t do anything to help Daehyun. What power could Youngjae have?

“God, just because my face is so handsome doesn’t mean they have to bombard me with cameras.” Youngjae scoffed at Himchan who simply flipped his hair and sat at his desk. 

“Uhg, I can’t even skateboard to work anymore cause they’re all in the way…” Zelo sighed, slumping down on his desk, a pout on his lips. “Do you think CEO Jung will be okay?” 

Himchan sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. “I don’t know...I’ve never seen Daehyun so tense. He’s always laughing and flirting, but now he’s kinda dead inside. Even Yongguk is swamped trying to figure out how to mediate the situation for him.”

“Yeah, I see Jongup run around the building with this tense expression on his face like he’s gonna kill someone….” Zelo furrowed his eyebrows, remembering seeing the elder walk down the hall. Phone in hand with a hardened expression on his face. He was so into the conversation that he didn’t even notice Zelo waving at him.

“It’s probably all that bastard’s fault…” Youngjae chewed on his lower lip, knowing who might have caused Daehyun all this strife. Woojin. Who else would it possibly be? Youngjae refused to accept the media saying that Daehyun had ordered those tainted drugs. Daehyun wasn’t the perfect man, but when it came to business you can bet that he was close. He would have never let anything such as tainted drugs get even close to the Jung Corp. name. But how to prove it. That was another problem. 

“That f**king bastard...I always hated him.” Himchan scowled. He hadn’t met Woojin very often. In actuality the two never formally met till recently. Even when Himchan and Daehyun were in a relationship. Himchan would often go to the family parties with Daehyun, getting side-eyed by Woojin with an obvious look of disapproval. He didn’t know if it was because he was gay or he was of poorer statues. Either way, that bastard could kiss his poor gay .  

‘What is his problem anyways?” Zelo growled, wanting to smack Woojin with his skateboard.

“Probably has some inferiority complex.” Youngjae growled. Everything was put on halt. His research. The company’s work. Everything was put in a standstill. And it was all because Woojin couldn’t grow a pair and face Daehyun head on, instead resorting to cheap tactics. 

Youngjae wanted to go comfort the elder. Ask him if he was okay….nevermind, that was a question. He knew Daehyun wasn’t okay. He knew that Daehyun was facing enemies on all sides, and his father was probably going to disown his if the problem didn’t go away. Daehyun was probably feeling like his life was falling apart. It hurt Youngjae’s heart to think that Daehyun had to take all of this on his shoulders. He knew that Jongup would be by his side, shouldering some of the burden. But he wanted to as well. He wanted to ease Daehyun’s pain. His hurt. But what was stopping Youngjae? His fear? His fear that Daehyun would reject him and say that it was none of his business. God, when did Youngjae become such a wimp….he wasn’t. He was going to grow a pair, put on his big boy pants and go check on Daehyun. Yep. That’s what he was going to do. Now if only his feet would start moving. 

“Huh? Where are you going?” Himchan looked up at Youngjae confused when the boy suddenly bolted up from his seat. 

“I’m...I’m going to grow a pair…” Youngjae mumbled, determination in his fist, taking in a big breath. 

“Grow a pair? A pair of balls? I thought you’ve done that already since you know...you’re like 26 years old.” Himchan eyed Youngjae’s crotch, quirking a brow. 

“Don’t be mean, Himchan hyung. Youngjae hyung just might be a late a bloomer.” Zelo snickered slightly also eyeing Youngjae’s crotch.

“UHG! You guys are f**king deplorable!” Youngjae groaned stomping off and out of the lab.

“Good job, Zelo.” Himchan hi-fived the younger.

“It’s obvious that Youngjae hyung wanted to go check on CEO Jung. He just needed that little push.” Zelo chuckled, leaning back on his chair.

“Push? More like shoved by a damn bulldozer driven by the both of us.” Himchan grinned, knowing that more than ever Daehyun needed a friend. Needed a confidant. Needed a Youngjae. 


“Are those guys 12 or something…” Youngjae grumbled, stomping down the hall towards Daehyun’s office before bumping into a small figure. 

“Oh sor-Hi Mr. Yoo.” Jongup straightened up, holding onto Youngjae’s arms slightly to make sure the other was stable.

“Hi Jongup…” Youngjae uncomfortably smiled. Jongup was Daehyun’s best friend. Youngjae had hurt that friend. It was expected that Jongup would not be happy to see him. Hell even hate him. But Youngjae had to take it. He made the decision to reject Daehyun so he had to take the consequences.

“Where are you going in such a hurry?” Jongup smiled at the boy, causing Youngjae to look at the him with wide confused eyes. Jongup chuckled at the elder’s expression and gently patted his shoulder. “I’m not mad at you, hyung. Daehyun is an adult and can handle his own relationships. And trust me when I say I like you more than Daehyun’s other lovers. Even Himchan, but don’t tell him that.” Youngjae stifled a giggle, imagining the elder ranting how he was a damn good lover and how Daehyun should be grateful. 

“I won’t,” Youngjae grinned, enjoying the amicable atmosphere. How he wished he and Daehyun could be like this again. To be laughing. To be happy. “Uhm, I was looking for Daehyun. Have you seen him around?”

Jongup’s light hearted expression instantly fell. “He’s in a meeting with the directors.” 

“I see…” Youngjae stood there in silence, leaning back and forth on his heel. Jongup’s sharp eyes read the other, seeing his intentions. Though he wasn’t mad at Youngjae he did not want him to hurt Daehyun any further. Daehyun was literally running until his body broke down. He was already emotionally broken by Youngjae, by his father, his brother. Now he was physically breaking down and he did not need Youngjae to open old wounds. 

“He’s in room 6283…” Youngjae’s expression immediately brightened at the information. Jongup letting out a sigh of relief. Perhaps Youngjae was the ball of sunshine Daehyun needed right now. 

“Thank you, Jongup! I promise I will put in a good word to Zelo for you!” Youngjae grinned, heading off towards the direction of room 6283.

Jongup chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. He initially thought that Daehyun and Youngjae were complete opposites of each other. Almost incompatible. But he was wrong. And he was happy that he was. “Mr. Yoo!” Youngjae turned around and looked at Jongup a bit confused. “Please, don’t hurt him…” Youngjae’s eyes grew wide, a sad smile spreading on his face, nodding his head in affirmation. 


Youngjae stood in front of room 6283, swallowing his saliva to soothe his dry nervous throat. He decided to sit beside the door, waiting for Daehyun’s meeting to end. But the more he sat and waited, the more his nerves were shooting up. He was beginning to bite his nails again. The poor things getting so beat up it looked as if a tiger had gnawed on them. His curiosity was getting the better of him as he could barely hear the voices coming from conference room. He was ‘unconsciously’ leaning closer and closer to the door, trying to get a better hear. 

“I call for a meeting for Daehyun’s dismissal as CEO.” Woojin smirked as he eyed Daehyun from the other side of the table, the other man seething with anger. His glare stabbing daggers at Woojin. But Woojin did not mind. He quite enjoyed seeing that hatred.

“I agree, have you seen Jung Corps. stocks? They’ve fallen by 5 points since the start of this investigation.” A board director spoke, shaking his head in dismay at the loss of money.

“We shouldn’t jump to conclusion. How do we know this isn’t some misunderstanding or some plot to damage Jung Corps. reputation?” Another spoke out in Daehyun’s defense. 

“How can you be so naive? Even if this was a ploy, CEO Jung here already admitted to being responsible for this nightmare.” Another voice growled.

“Exactly as a CEO should. What did you expect him to do? Sweep it under the rug? Are we a business or the mafia.” The more the board directors argued and squabbled, the less likely a concise decision could be made. 

“Enough,” Daehyun growled, tired of the squabble. The noise. Tired of seeing his father’s face of disappointment. Tired of seeing Woojin's smug grin. He was just f**king tired and wanted a damn nap with a glass of milk with brandy in it. “We cannot make a decision if we keep fighting like this. Father,” Daehyun turned to his father. The elderly man eyeing the group of directors with a harsh glare. “What is your decision?”

Mr. Jung turned his attention to Daehyun. One would expect a fatherly expression of concern. Of mercy for his boy. Hah, what a laughable thought. Daehyun received none of that. He instead got a look of obvious disappointment. Oh but not at Daehyun, at himself thinking Daehyun could run his business properly. That his ‘kinder’ side got the best of him and allowed Daehyun a seat of power. Daehyun could see all of that in his father’s eyes and a small part of him wondered if this is what his mother felt like. Everyday looking into the eyes that told you that you were worthless. An abomination. A burden. Unloved. If so, he could understand why his mother went insane. He just didn’t understand why she loved him. Or at least tried to love him. Because Daehyun obviously couldn’t.

“Daehyun should take responsibility for his actions,” Mr. Jung glared, his words cutting the air like a knife. “In two weeks we will have a vote pertaining to Daehyun’s dismissal. Hopefully by that time, this issue is resolved.” The directors nodded at each other in agreement, knowing full well that even if they were against it, their words would fall on deaf ears. Deaf, but powerful.

“Do you have any qualms with that, brother?” Woojin leaned in and resting his chin on the top of his hands. 

“No,” Daehyun glared, immediately standing up from his chair. “You are all adults. And I am hoping educated ones….well maybe except for one fellow,” Daehyun eyeing Woojin, slightly pleased seeing the agitation on the other’s usually arrogant face. “And I hope you will make the right decision. And whether you believe me or not that this company is my life’s works and I would never do anything to tarnish it, is up to you.”

“You’ve already tarnished it.” Mr. Jung glared at Daehyun.

“I see. Then it looks like I’ve lived up to your expectations, Father.” Daehyun returned his father’s glare with equal disgust and hate. He quickly bowed, but an obvious scowl was painted on his face as he stomped out of the room. Not even looking back.
”Holy shi-” Youngjae toppled over as the door to the conference room opened abruptly, revealing a fuming Daehyun. 

“Youngjae?!” Daehyun looked down at the younger confused, seeing as Youngjae was on his and rubbing the back of his head. “What are you-” Daehyun stopped mid-sentence upon hearing the voices of the other board members. The voices getting louder as they approached the door. “Come with me.” Daehyun practically growled, grabbing Youngjae by the arm.

“O-ow! Daehyun that f**kin hurts!” Youngjae hissed as Daehyun dragged his all the way out onto the patio. 

“What were you doing there?” Youngjae flinched at the sudden harshness of Daehyun’s words. He had never heard that coldness and viciousness directed at him. It was foreign to him and he never wanted to hear it again. Daehyun must have noticed the boy’s sudden fear since his expression soften, his voice gentler. “I’m sorry…” Daehyun looked away, pulling out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. He placed the cancer stick between his lips and lit it.

“You smoke?” Youngjae cautiously looked at the other, knowing the intense tension he had been put through. 

“I quit a while ago…” Daehyun still refused to look Youngjae in the eye as he puffed out a cloud of smoke. He wasn’t mad at the younger persay. He was mad at the world. Mad that he allowed Woojin to manipulate him so easily. Mad that he tried so hard to live up to his father’s expectations when his father never had any for him. Mad that he was so affected by Youngjae. Mad that he f**kin fell in love. 

“But then why are you-”

“How much did you hear?” Youngjae mummed at the return of Daehyun’s cold voice. This is what he had feared. This is what he wanted to prevent. The coldness and distance that made him feel as if he was buried neck deep in the pits of Antarctica. 

“Enough…” Youngjae mumbled, knowing that eavesdropping was wrong, but not entirely regretful that he did it. 

“I see...” Daehyun took another drag of his cigarette, his brows furrowed tightly together. God, this was the last thing he wanted Youngjae to see. For anyone to see. To see him trapped. Cornered. Weak. He felt disgusted with himself. 

“They won’t dismiss you.” Daehyun’s eyes went wide for a moment before quickly looking at Youngjae. Sheer determination was in the boy’s beautiful doe, brown eyes. Eyes that were staring Daehyun down. Breaking down to the very core. But there was no hate, no anger, no judgement. Just care, just concern, just affection. 

“H-how do you know…” Daehyun’s voice broke, feeling as if the strength he built was falling apart. Just by Youngjae’s simple words. Simple presence.

“Cause you’re Jung Daehyun,” Youngjae smiled, seeing Daehyun’s harsh facade slip away reassured the boy that Daehyun didn’t hate him. That there was nothing for Youngjae to be afraid of. He just had to keep pushing. Keep showing Daehyun that he was not alone and then maybe, just maybe the Daehyun he knew would return. “And like hell you’ll go down without a fight.” Youngjae reached out and gently removed the cigarette from Daehyun’s mouth and tossing the cancer stick in a nearby ashtray.

“Youngjae…” Daehyun’s eyes softened, his heart melting at Youngjae’s words. He remembered why he fell for the boy. Why it was so hard to move on from him. Why he could no longer go back to the old Daehyun. 

“Well I didn’t expect to see you here, Mr. Yoo.” Daehyun’s harsh, rigid demeanor returned as Woojin strode onto the patio, casually resting his hands in his pockets. 

“I can be anywhere I want you f**k-”

“Youngjae leave.” Daehyun ordered, boring holes into Woojin.

“I am not leaving you here with this-”

“Youngjae. Leave.” Daehyun snarled, his eyes glued onto Woojin, not noticing the slight flinch Youngjae had. Youngjae hesitantly looked at the both of them before sending an obvious harsh glare at Woojin. The f**ker just brought Daehyun back to his cold demeanor that Youngjae was trying oh-so-hard to break. 

“Hmph, you’re making your weakness soooo obvious,” Woojin chuckled, striding towards Daehyun. “I wonder how you’ll protect him again when another incident occurs.”

“You damn f**ker!” Daehyun grabbed Woojin by the collar, snarling at him like a mad wolf. But Woojin didn’t care. In fact, seeing the usually calm arrogant Daehyun broken down to a primitive violent state was entertaining to Woojin. “What the hell is your problem!? You and your of a mother basically have my father bent over for you guys. What the f**k more do you want.”

“What I want?” For the first time that Daehyun had ever known Woojin he saw the man’s expression turn dark. Vicious even. A contrast to his usually smug and calculating demeanor. “What I want is to see you suffer,” Woojin snarled, pushing Daehyun away. “I want you to suffer just like I did.”

“Suffer? What the f**kin are you talking about. Father dearest always ran to you and your mother’s side every chance he could get.” Daehyun growled, wanting to sock Woojin in the face, but held himself back on the account that they were still at the company. 

“You’ll never understand,” Woojin glared, now reaching out and grabbing Daehyun by the collar. “You’ll never understand what it feels like to never be acknowledge. To not even exist. To forever live in the shadows, never being allowed to even claim that I am our father’s child. To always be the second best bastard to the true son. The true heir to the Jung family,” Woojin released Daehyun, breaking out into maniacal laughter. “But you’ll find out exactly how that feels soon enough.”



Daehyun let out a small groan as he peeled himself off the couch. His back making unpleasant pops as his spine readjusted itself. He reeeaaallllyyy missed his bed, his comfy pillows, his squishable chipmunk plush. Unfortunately for him, he was stuck at the office for the past weeks and with the upcoming meeting for dismissal encroaching he had a lot to do and very little time. His drowsy senses were awaken by the sweet scent of hot coffee and some sort of breakfast treat. A danish? A croissant? At the moment he didn’t care because he was hungry and was about to gnaw off his own leg. 

“Morning sunshine,” Yongguk chuckled as Jongup placed the cup of coffee on Daehyun’s desk. “Thought I’d bring you something to cheer you up.” Yongguk handed the box of goodies to Daehyun. 

“Thanks, I honestly need all the cheering up I can get,” Daehyun sighed and bit into a blueberry danish. “And more of these danishes. Definitely more of these.”

“I think that can be arranged,” Yongguk smiled, sitting besides Daehyun. “But I didn’t come here just to bring danishes.”

“Woah, woah, Yongguk. I love you, but as a brother. Like how the way I love Jongup and you’ve already got Himchan so-”

“Is now really the time to be joking, idiot.” Jongup and Yongguk said in unison as they smacked Daehyun lightly on the back of the head. 

“With all hell breaking loose, I thought it would be a nice way to break the tension,”  Daehyun smiled slightly before taking another bite of the danish. “So what do you have for me?”

“This,” Yongguk handed over an envelope from his back pocket. “The results of the info you wanted.”

Daehyun quickly grabbed the envelope from his friend’s grasp, prying the letter open. Daehyun got up from the couch, pacing back and forth as he read the results meticulously. His suspicions were right. There was some foul play at hand since there was no way Youngjae would knowingly sign something that would cost both him and Daehyun their careers. 

“Is it what we thought it was?” Jongup raised a brow, sipping on his own cup of coffee. 

“Yeah, it is a forgery. The signature is Youngjae’s but the lack of indentations show that his signature was somehow printed on this document.” Daehyun had no clue how Woojin was able to do this, but he wouldn’t put it past his brother to use illegal means to do so.

“So the culprit had to come into this building to get this signature from Youngjae…” Jongup concluded, Daehyun replying with a slight nod of affirmation as he leaned against his desk.

“Let’s go review the security footage and see what we have. Youngjae dated the document so at least we know which day this bastard came.” Daehyun placed the paper down on his desk. 

“I’ll catch up with you guys later.” Yongguk smiled, glad that some progress was being made in clearing both Daehyun’s and Youngjae’s name.

“Going to meet Channie~” Daehyun teased, causing the elder to flick him on the forehead.

“Let’s see who’s teasing when you go googly eyes on Youngjae.” Daehyun’s cheeks heated as he gripped the spot Yongguk flicked, a small pout on his lips.

“Touche, hyung…”


“Gukkie!” Himchan cheered wrapping his arms around Yongguk. Both Youngjae and Zelo responded with unison gags. Himchan sneered at the both of them. “What is a big shot CEO like you doing here?”

“Just wanted to see how Daehyun was doing.”  Yongguk grinned and placed a chaste kiss on Himchan’s forehead. 

“Oh I see. You came here to see Daehyun. Not me. I see where your priorities are.” Himchan mocked scoffed in offense, turning his back on Yongguk.

“Awww, Channie, are you being pouty?” Yongguk giggled, knowing full well that Himchan was just playing.

“No,” Himchan turned around and grinned. “I am a devilishly handsome educated young man that wouldn’t get mad over such petty things.”

“You sure about that?” Zelo and Youngjae snickered, earning each a smack on the head from a sneering Himchan.

“Anyways, how is he?” Himchan returned his attention back to Yongguk, obvious concern in his eyes for Daehyun. At Himchan’s question, Youngjae immediately fell silent. He wanted to hear about this as much as Himchan. Heck, even more than Himchan.

“Better. He finally got something besides coffee in his stomach.” Yongguk smiled forlornly knowing that his good friend probably hasn’t had a proper meal in months.

“Jung Daehyun. The Jung Daehyun has not eaten? Oh God, he’s farther gone than I thought.” Himchan placed his forehead in his hand and shook his head in dismay.

Youngjae chewed on his nails, remembering the last time he saw Daehyun. The young man had gotten so thin, so pale. His eyebags had eyebags and the continue grimace on his face indicated he was in some sort of physical discomfort. Youngjae rarely saw Daehyun leave his office, only Jongup running back in forth. Sometimes with a cup of coffee in his hands another time with paperwork. Zelo even told him that Jongup had asked Zelo if he knew any simple quick healthy smoothies or protein shakes. Apparently that was the only way Daehyun was getting some sort of nutrients now a days. 

Youngjae furrowed his brows in frustration, furious that Daehyun was not taking care of himself properly. Yes, the company was important. Youngjae wholeheartedly understood that. At the same notion, Daehyun can always build a new company. He cannot build another Daehyun. Youngjae got up from his seat to everyone’s surprise. All eyes trained on him slightly confused.

“What’s got your boxers in a twist?” Himchan raised a brow.

“I’m just going to get lunch…” All three boys looked at each other with slightly confused expressions, seeing that it was a bit too early to be eating lunch.

“Be sure to get a vanilla latte.” Zelo chirped, smiling brightly at his hyung. Himchan and Yongguk grinned as well understanding exactly who this lunch was for.

“Also the beef kalbi sandwiches they have in the cafeteria are delicious.” Himchan smile spread as he noticed Youngjae looking at them a bit confused, but still mentally jotting down their words.

“Oh and don’t forget to finish off with cheesecake.” Yongguk grinned.

A small blush creeped on Youngjae’s cheeks once he realized what they were up to. He wordlessly mouthed a thank you as he left the lab. He was going to make Daehyun eat. Even if he had to shove the food into the those beautiful plump, kiss-he was digressing.

Yongguk, Himchan, and Zelo released the small bubble of laughter that they held during Youngjae’s presence, fearing that they would anger the chipmunk. The three young men giving each other a well-deserved high five for being excellent friends.



”Hello?” Youngjae peaked his head into Daehyun’s office. Nope, nada. Not a single person. Youngjae opened the door wider, allowing him to enter the premise. It wasn’t as if he had never been in Daehyun’s office before. He had been here plenty of times when him and Daehyun happened to overwork and the latter refusing to let Youngjae leave without him. The CEO even took his cellphone once and hid it in one of his many drawers. But those times were always with Daehyun. Now that he was alone in Daehyun’s office he felt as if he was doing something wrong. Violating his privacy.

Youngjae eyed the disheveled office, particularly noting the crumpled jacket and pillow at one end. Youngjae assumed that it was the pillow and blanket Daehyun was using during his nightly work. Youngjae placed the brown bag that held Daehyun’s lunch on the coffee table and folded the jacket, placing it neatly on the couch. He picked up some papers that had fallen from his desk and straightened them out. He neatly laid them down, only to notice a document. A document with his signature to be exact.

 Youngjae picked up the paper, raking over it’s contents. He didn’t remember signing this. And why would he ever sign such a thing.  He had a Phd in organic chemistry he knew how vital pure, clean reagents were in any experiment, let alone one involving humans. He felt so confused, wondering how in God’s name did he sign such a document. But there it was, staring right up at Youngjae. His sin. He clenched the document, feelings of fury and anger building up in his chest.

“Tell them to put the rest of the video on a digital file and I’ll watch them-Youngjae?!” Daehyun jumped slightly seeing Youngjae in his office.

“Why didn’t you tell me…” Youngjae snarled at Daehyun, causing the latter to scrunch his face in confusion. Until he noticed the document in the younger’s hand.

“Youngja-”

“Why didn’t you tell me!” Now Youngjae was shouting. Pissed. Pissed at himself. At his own stupidity. That he was the cause of all the suffering. Cause of all of Daehyun’s suffering. That he was the damn damsel in distress that needed saving. “Did you think I couldn’t handle this!? That I’m that helpless that I couldn’t own up to this!?” Youngjae threw the paper at Daehyun, him not even bothering to dodge. “How long did you think you could handle this!? Huh!? The FBI is on your ! You might go to f**kin jail!” Youngjae knew he should stop. Keep his mouth shut. But all the self-hatred, self-loathing he felt was pouring over.

“Young-” Daehyun couldn’t even manage to get a word in before Youngjae stomped out of the room. 

“Do you want to go after him?” Jongup picked up the paper from the floor. Mad and frustrated at Youngjae for yelling at Daehyun like that. Daehyun had gone all through this hell for Youngjae. Had to face public condemnation and humiliation for Youngjae. Had all his actions and works questioned for Youngjae. And Youngjae had promised him he wouldn’t hurt Daehyun.

“No…” Daehyun slumped down on the couch, grabbing the bottle of advil and downing a few pills dry. “I have a few more meetings and press conferences. Then I have to-”

“Daehyun…” Daehyun looked up at Jongup forlornly, gently grabbing the younger to sit next to him.

“Just let me nap here for a bit…” Daehyun rested his head on Jongup’s shoulder, snuggling into the familiar scent, closing his eyes to get a semblance of peace and rest as the younger gently pet his head.



”Youngjae! Come on, Youngjae! You can’t hide in your apartment all day!” Himchan banged on the door, but Youngjae ignored the pounding, snuggling in his blanket cocoon of sorrow.

“I can and I will!” Youngjae hissed, squishing himself further in his dinky couch. 

“Youngjae, don’t be mad at Daehyun. He was only trying to help!” Yongguk knocked as well, but less psychotically than Himchan. 

“You guys were in on it too!?” Youngjae growled. “Now I’m definitely not leaving, you traitors!”

“Uhg, what are we gonna do with that stubborn boy…” Himchan sighed, rubbing his forehead. “He’s been holed up in there for 4 days. And where is f**king Daehyun when we need him!”

“He’s been busy taking care of the directors of the board. The meeting is in less than a week.” Yongguk sighed as well, not knowing what to do. A part of him felt like Jongup and was mad at the younger for treating Daehyun like this, the other part understood the shock and frustration Youngjae was going through.

“Now it’s time to use the big guns. Maknae I choose you!” Himchan pushed Zelo forward. The younger gently knocking on the door.

“Hyung?” Zelo’s voice was calmer and softer than the older two.

“You know Jongup wouldn’t be happy to see you here. He’s probably really mad at me right now…” Youngjae pulled on the blankets tighter, knowing that it was his own fault. Jongup had every right to be mad at Youngjae.

“Well you know the phrase, before…” Everyone stayed silent, waiting to see how the younger would manage this one. “...able ?” Everyone bursted out into laughter at Zelo’s ridiculousness. Youngjae silently thanking the younger for the much needed smile. 

“Thanks for checking on me guys…” Youngjae’s voice was soft, almost inaudible to the others. He got up from his spot on the couch, shuffling over to the front door and opening it slightly. “I just need more time….I promise I’ll be back to normal,” Youngjae softly smiled at them. “Now begone peasants.” He chuckled as Himchan ruffled his hair, Yongguk giving him a slight nudge on the cheek, and Zelo hugging the portion of Youngjae that was within his reach. 

He let out a small sigh and wave good-bye as the three left down the hall. He closed the door, shuffling back to the spot on the couch. He the TV hoping he would find a distraction to all this chaos. Instead he got that chaos shoved right down his throat. All the trash about Daehyun endangering the public, how he should be put in prison, removed from Jung Corp., how they were counting down to his dismissal. The pit of Youngjae’s stomach felt heavy again and he wanted nothing more to throw up. He watched as Daehyun suffered for Youngjae’s mistake. 

“Trash,” Youngjae grumbled, throwing the remote at the TV. He was about to bury himself in the blanket again when he heard another knocking. He stomped over towards the door, opening it again. “I told you to begone pea-”

“Hi…” Youngjae froze at the sight of the person in front of him. There was Daehyun standing before him in his dingy apartment hallway.

“How did you-”

“Himchan gave me the address…” Youngjae made note to strangle his hyung later. 

“Why are you here…” Youngjae turned away, knowing that if he looked into Daehyun’s pleading eyes he would cave. He was still too mad at himself to deal with Daehyun without upchucking at his own self-disgust. 

“Can’t we talk?” Daehyun wanted to reach out and pull the younger into a hug. Youngjae’s puffy eyes, his dark panda circles, he looked like he hadn’t gotten any sleep.

“No we can’t. Now go tell Jongup to take you back.” Youngjae tried to keep his voice strong, but the obvious hurt in Daehyun’s eyes made him falter.

“Jongup’s back at the company. I came here by bus.” Youngjae couldn’t help but let his eyes go wide as he faced the other.

“You took the what!?” Youngjae’s mouth was agape.

“I’m rich, not a complete .” Daehyun smiled slightly at Youngjae’s expression. Youngjae quickly turned away, knowing how that smile affected him. It was as if his smile was electromagnetic waves shooting his bright red cheeks to the next energy level.

“Well glad to hear that…” Youngjae grumbled, crossing his arms. “Now you can take the bus home.”

“Chipmunk…”

“Oh no, don’t you dare chipmunk me!” Youngjae snarled. “You’re the one who said we couldn’t be friends! You’re the one who said we should just keep things professional!” 

Youngjae could feel hot, angry tears form in his eyes. He hated this. He didn’t want to feel this dependent on anyone again, to feel small ever again. To feel worthless ever again. And here he was feeling all those emotions. But it wasn’t Daehyun that was making him feel this way. It was himself. Himself that was making him feel like and beating him to the core. 

“So why did you tell them that you told me to sign that!? Why did you take the blame!?” Youngjae angrily rubbed his eyes, refusing to let the tears fall. Daehyun reached out trying to cup the boy’s cheek. “Don’t touch me!” Youngjae swatted Daehyun’s hand away. “Is this some kind of revenge!? You making me feel guilty for rejecting you!?”

“Youngjae, you know that’s not-”

“Leave!” Daehyun didn’t budge. “I said leave!” Youngjae’s voice was beginning to sound desperate. Almost pleading the older. “Fine, do what you want, but that doesn’t mean I have to see your face.” Youngjae slammed the door, slumping down against it. 

He growled at his own weak state as he rubbed away the threatening tears. He was revolted by himself. He had no right to yell at Daehyun the way he did. He had no right to push Daehyun away, but he did. And he prayed it was enough for Daehyun to revoke his statement and reveal the truth. Youngjae looked up to see the dark clouds forming out of his window, droplets of water hitting against the glass. Great, it was raining...how kdramaesque. Youngjae rolled his eyes, resting his chin behind his arms as he hugged his knees close. Rain...Youngjae’s mind began to wander a bit. Daehyun had come here by bus and the bus only arrives every 15 minutes. Daehyun couldn’t have gone outside could he? Youngjae opened his front door just a crack to see if anyone was still there. No one. Youngjae closed his eyes shut, squeezed them so hard that it hurt. He had just basically ended everything with Daehyun. Broke whatever ties the two of them once had. Did he have the right to go out and give him an umbrella? Oh f**k it. He’ll just quickly throw it at the back of Daehyun’s head then run in the opposite direction like his was on fire. 

Youngjae went to his coat closet, pulling out a small duck yellow umbrella. Closing the door quietly, letting out a determined sigh before turning around to head- “Holy !” Youngjae threw the umbrella in the air, dumbfounded at the presence of Daehyun in his living room, sopping wet. The window wide open. 

“What? Do you think this was some K-drama and I would depressingly walk in the rain, hoping you would chase after me?” Daehyun smirked, breathing heavily. “F**k that.”

“How did ya-I’m f**king calling the police.” Youngjae spazzed, grabbing his cell only to have his actions impeded by Daehyun gripping his wrist. 

“Fire escape. And you need to lock your windows.” Daehyun grinned slightly.

“I wouldn’t need to lock them if I didn’t have to deal with erts like you!” Youngjae hissed, writhing his arm out of Daehyun’s grasp. Daehyun’s breath becoming more ragged, his body more heavy. 

“I said I wanted to talk Youngjae. I will not let us end lik-” Daehyun leaned onto Youngjae, his body finally giving out. 

“Hey! Hey!” Youngjae began to panic, Daehyun suddenly becoming dead weight. “Hey, playing dead won’t make me forgive you.” Youngjae shook Daehyun gently. When he didn’t respond, Youngjae paled, quickly putting Daehyun on the couch. Youngjae examined Daehyun briefly. 

Daehyun breath was short and ragged, his chest rising and falling rapidly, sweat beading down his forehead. Youngjae placed the back of his head on the elder’s forehead, cringing at the sudden heat. Daehyun’s fever was insane. Youngjae frowned, mad that Daehyun had allowed himself to get like this. Mad that he only simply added onto Daehyun’s stress. Youngjae ran into his kitchen, grabbing a dry towel and soaking a clean rag in cold water. He quickly dried off Daehyun as best as he could before he began to pat Daehyun’s forehead with the cold rag. Youngjae could only frowned sadly, not enjoying seeing Daehyun in pain. Not enjoying seeing the man he fell in love with in such agony. And for what? For who? For him. And that’s what made Youngjae sick. He didn’t want to be a burden to Daehyun. To anyone. But it seemed that that was the only thing he was good that. His family thought so. His ex boyfriend thought so. Even he started to think so.

 “What do I do…” Youngjae gently caressed Daehyun’s cheek, before running his fingers through Daehyun’s soft dark brown hair that was matted against his forehead due to the sweat and rain. 

BRIIIIING!

Youngjae jumped at the sound of the sudden ring, pulling him out of his thoughts. He glanced down at his phone and saw that it was blank. He looked over at Daehyun, noticing his pocket vibrating. Youngjae reached for the phone, seeing who the caller was and taking a deep breath. This was going to be difficult. “Hello?”

“Daehyun! Where are you? You said you were going to be out a bit and-”

“Hi Jongup…” The line went silent. Unbearably silent for Youngjae. He was about to open his mouth to say another word, but the younger beat him to it. 

“Hi Mr. Yoo...Daehyun with you?” Youngjae let out a held breath, relieved that he heard no malice in the younger’s voice. 

“H-He passed out. He has a high fever…” The line went silent again. Only hearing annoyed grumbles before an exasperated sigh. 

“That idiot...I told him he needs to rest. He’s been overworking himself…He’s been overworking himself for you…” Youngjae took a large gulp. “Mr. Yoo...I know you don’t believe that Daehyun loves you, but he does.”

“But-”

“Please let me finish, hyung,” Jongup took a deep breath. “You were mad at him taking the blame for you. He only did that because he only wanted to protect your work and reputation. He knew that if the public or the committee found out you were the one that signed that paper you would lose everything. Your status, reputation, you’d also be in jail. Daehyun couldn’t let you do that…” Jongup let out a small chuckle. “The idiot has been running his body to the ground just trying to find who did this so he beat his for putting you in this mess. I want to be so mad at you right now for making him go through this. Making him go through his own hell even though you don’t love him. But I can’t. I can’t get mad at you because I know you care about Daehyun,” Youngjae’s heart clench, remembering the toxic words he just spewed at Daehyun not long before. “I’ve never seen Daehyun so lively and happy till he met you. He loves you. I don’t know how many times he and I have to say it to make you believe, but he loves you. So much he’s willing to risk everything. He wants to protect you, and there is nothing wrong with trying to protect the one you love even if they don’t love you back.” 

Youngjae stayed silent, soaking the lecture he was given. “Thank you…” Youngjae only murmured, before glancing over at Daehyun, a small smile gracing Youngjae’s face. “And...I’m sorry. For breaking my promise.”

“Me too. For being mad at you,” Youngjae could swear that the younger was an angel under that manly, bulky exterior. “And hyung, can you promise me one thing?”

“Anything.” Youngjae could almost see the sweet guard dog’s smile. 

“Promise you’ll never stop caring about Daehyun.” Youngjae gently grabbed Daehyun’s hand, rubbing small circles. 

“I promise.” Youngjae smiled, kissing the top of Daehyun’s hand. 


“Momma! Momma!” Little Daehyun cried out, teddy bear in hand as he roamed the halls of his cold empty house. “Momma! Papa!” Nothing. Daehyun was crying to no one. His voice was hoarse, his breath ragged, and his temperature was through the roof. He didn’t care though, all he wanted was a soothing hug from his mother and father. 

Daehyun continued to wander, his little feet dragging his heavy body across the cold marble tile of the hallway. His eyes were full of salty tears due to the fear of his missing parents and the pain in his body. He wandered aimless, wondering where his father might be. Where his mother was. He had been in pain all week, but he had tried his best to not show it. Still getting all A’s, still taking advanced classes, and getting awards. The more good things he did the more his mom and dad would smile. The more they would hug him. The more they would love him. Right?

“Momma?” Daehyun peaked through a dimly lit room, seeing his mother on the phone. Her silky dark brown hair resting over one shoulder. A phone glued to her ear. 


“What do you mean you aren’t coming home tonight?” His mother whined, her hands trembling as she gripped the phone tightly. 

“B-but I miss you. I want to see you,” Her entire body was trembling. “I’m your wife. Can’t I want to spend time with my husband!?” Her tone was getting louder, her voice more vicious. “You’re cheating on me aren’t you! You’re having an affair!!” She screamed hysterically into the phone, shouting out profanities. “You heartless pig! I gave you everything!” She threw her phone against the wall, the small device making a loud crack as it fell to the floor.

“Mommy?” Daehyun cautiously entered the room, teddy clutched tightly.

“It’s all your fault!” She hissed at Daehyun, glaring at the small boy with such hatred that it could bore holes into the small child. “You’re not winning enough awards! You’re not doing good enough in school! That’s why your father is never home! That’s why your father doesn’t love me! Love us!” She raised her hand about to swing it down at the small boy.

“Mrs. Jung!” Secretary Moon quickly grabbed little Daehyun, moving him away from Mrs. Jung’s wrath. Daehyun’s mother’s eyes went wide for a moment, as if sudden realization broke in. Her wrath and anger quickly shifted to hysterical crying, burying her face into her hands.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. My baby. How could I have tried to hit my baby…” She wailed, burying her face further into her hands. “How could I do that...that’s why he doesn’t love me. Why can’t he love me? I love him so much…” She looked up at Secretary Moon with such pleading eyes the other man had no words to say. 

“I know, Mrs. Jung.” He gently patted her on the shoulder. Daehyun watching his mother in slight fear. 

“My baby…” Daehyun’s mother reached out towards him, but the young boy flinched slightly in fear that she may attempt to hit him again. “My baby, I’m so sorry…” She broke out into more tears. 

“Mrs. Jung, why don’t you take your medicine and go to bed. It’s getting quite late,” Secretary Moon placed Daehyun down. “Jongup!” Little Jongup waddled into the room, stuffed pikachu in hand. “Can you please take Daehyun back to his room?” Jongup nodded and smiled brightly, taking his hyung’s hand. 

The two children waddled back to Daehyun’s room. The elder of the boys feeling hot tears pour down his cheeks again. “Does momma hate me?” Daehyun whimpered, squeezing Jongup’s hand.

“Nu-uh, all mommies love their kids.” Jongup smiled at Daehyun, nodding his head with resolution. 

“Then why does my mommy get angry when she see’s me,” Daehyun sniffed, rubbing the snot that ran down his nose with his sleeve. “And then she starts crying.”

“Daddy said that mommies get this thing called stressed. And when they get this big bad stress they become all sorts of crazy.” The boys managed to get to Daehyun’s room, the two boys crawling up to the top of the giant cushiony bed. 

“S-so if I make the bad stress thing go away, my mommy will be okay again?” Jongup was now wiping the tears of the elder with his sleeve. 

“Mhm,” Jongup nodded. “You’re really strong and cool, hyung, so you’ll make that stress thing go away like poof!” Jongup did a grand gesture, causing both boys to giggle. 

“Jongup,” Secretary Moon entered Daehyun’s room, a glass of warm chocolate milk and a small cup of medicine for him. “It’s time for Daehyun to go to bed.”

“Awwww, can’t I stay? We can have a sleepover!” Jongup pouted, hugging Daehyun tightly. 

Secretary Moon’s eyes softened. “That’s a great idea, Gup, but Daehyun isn’t feeling too well. He needs some rest,” Jongup pouted, but complied since he noticed how exhausted Daehyun looked, and how ragged the boy’s breath was. “Here Daehyun, this will help make the pain go away,” Secretary Moon sat on the bed, assisting the young boy as Jongup crawled onto his lap. Daehyun swallowed the bitter viscous medicine begrudgingly, before washing the taste away with chocolate milk. “Good night Daehyun.”

“Good night, Mr. Moon. Good night, Guppie.” Daehyun waved, tucking himself into bed. 

“Night Daehyun!” Jongup waved eagerly, a grin on the boy’s face. 

Daehyun closed his eyes, attempting to allow sleep to take him over. It did. But only for a few short moments. His body was feeling hot again, his throat scratchy every time he swallowed. His muscles were sore and his breath was so warm, so hot he felt like he was burning on the inside. It was too hot for him to wear his blanket, but the moment he took it off he was cold again. The little boy wriggled around, tears filling his eyes again as he was whimpering in pain. He wanted anyone. He wanted his mom. He wanted his dad. He wanted Mr. Moon. He wanted Guppie. He wanted someone to just hold him and comfort him, tell him he was going to be okay. But there was no one. No one but complete and utter darkness. 

During Daehyun’s internal struggle, he heard the door of his bedroom slightly open. He opened his eyes slightly to discern who the figure was, but he couldn’t tell. It was too dark and his eyes were burning and filled with too much tears. The figure approached the bedside, making an indent as it sat down on the bed. Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows, squinting very hard to see who this person might be. The figure spoke no words as it reached out, gently petting Daehyun’s head. The action alone seemed to have soothed Daehyun. He quit squirming and his breathing had started to go at a steady rate. 

“I’m sorry…” The figure murmured. “I’m sorry, my baby….” 

“Mommy?” Daehyun called out. Suddenly the figure’s touch disappeared, it’s outline slowly fading away into the darkness. “Momma!? Momma!!”


“Holy !” Youngjae jumped back as Daehyun suddenly sprung up from the bed, cold sweat dripping from his body and his eyes were in a frenzy. “You are going to give me heart attack someday…” The younger clutched his chest as he placed the small bowl of chicken soup on the nightstand. 

“Youngjae?” Daehyun looked at Youngjae dumbfounded, disoriented from passing out. 

“Your fever has gone down.” Youngjae sat beside Daehyun, placing the back of his hand on the elder’s forehead. 

“I passed out.” Daehyun looked up at Youngjae, his memories starting to piece themselves together. 

“Bingo. And I, being the gracious kind Youngjae that I am, dragged your back to my bed instead of leaving you on my couch. And I changed your clothes, just cause I’m a saint.” Daehyun eyed Youngjae curiously as the younger reached out for the soup, blowing on it so Daehyun wasn’t going to burn his tongue. Daehyun didn’t know if he was still in lala land or this was heaven on earth. But he and Youngjae were talking. Talking like they used to be. 

“Youngjae about before-”

“Hush up and eat the soup. I worked hard to make it.” Youngjae extended the spoon out to Daehyun, the older looking at it a bit skeptically before eating the soup. 

“It taste like water and salt…” Daehyun noted. Youngjae’s face scrunched together. He thought that he finally made this dish right. Or at least decent.

“Fine, if you don’t want my soup then-” Daehyun quickly grabbed Youngjae before the younger could get up and dump the soup in the sink. 

“It’s fine. I like it.” Daehyun smiled, opening his mouth wide so that Youngjae could feed him more soup. 

Youngjae snorted, but complied and fed him more soup. “You’re sick not handicapped.”

“I’m the patient so you have to be nice to me.” Daehyun smirked, enjoying the perks of being ill. Beside the pain, uncomfortableness, feeling like a piece of that’s been ran over by a herd of smelly goats. 

“I don’t have to be nice to anyone. Didn’t you know it’s a free country.” Youngjae stuck out his tongue. The two boys went into a small bubble of laughter. Until Daehyun began coughing up his lung. Youngjae quickly placed the bowl of salt water down and soothing rubbing Daehyun’s back. Once the coughing fit was done, the awkward silence between the two eased in. 

“So can we talk now?” Daehyun looked up at Youngjae, a look of a kicked rabbit all over his face.

“No,” Daehyun’s expression immediately became a pout. With a slight irk of irritation since Youngjae was smiling. “Jongup already gave me an earful,” Youngjae chuckled, leaning back on the bed a bit, admiring his ceiling. “Thank you...for saving my sorry . I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

“I’m sorry for saving your sorry without your sorry ’s permission.” Daehyun smiled slightly. Youngjae scoffed, punching Daehyun lightly on the arm. 

“I was just mad at myself…” Youngjae smiled forlornly, playing with his thumbs a bit. 

“Why? It wasn’t your fault. You must have known that Woojin probably did something.” Daehyun adjusted himself so that he could get a better look on Youngjae’s face. The boy was smiling, but it was sad. Tired. 

“I know. I know that. But…” Youngjae let out a sigh, turning so that he was now facing Daehyun. “I hate that I was used to hurt you. I hate that because of my carelessness you’re getting the brunt of the pain. I hate that I’m the cause of your suffering.”

Daehyun smiled, reaching out to attempt to caress the boy’s cheek. But he was hesitant. Was this action okay? Would Youngjae hate him more? He used to have with people with no hesitation, but now he can’t even touch Youngjae’s cheek. He was about to retract his hand when Youngjae willing pushed himself forward so that his soft, squishy cheek was resting in Daehyun’s palm. Daehyun’s eyes went wide for a moment at the sudden affection, but he didn’t question it. Rather he reveled in it, his smile spreading. He had only dreamed that the two of them could be as they used to. Laughing, joking, being themselves. Instead of the hollow empty shell that they both were these past weeks. 

“I’m a big boy. I can handle all this ,” Daehyun chuckled, placing his hand on Youngjae’s other cheek and squishing the two cheeks together. “I’m Jung f**kin Daehyun. Remember?”

Youngjae smiled, despite his cheeks being squished. He would usually throw a fit when this happened since he didn’t enjoy people playing with his face. But for Daehyun, he would make an exception. “I know. Your ego kinda shoves that info in my face everyday,” Youngjae giggled. “I just...don’t like seeing you hurt.”

“Why? You’ve wounded my heart plenty with your words, chipmunk.” Daehyun raised a brow as Youngjae gently removed Daehyun’s hands from his face. Daehyun was now staring at a Youngjae. A beautiful, sassy, cute, doe eyed Youngjae. One that was staring at him with such eyes of endearment that Daehyun felt as if he was melting. 

“That’s my special privilege,” Youngjae chuckled, balling his hands into fist, readying for the long-due leap of faith. A leap that Daehyun deserved despite all of Youngjae’s denial. “And because I love you.”

 Now Daehyun was stunned. Absolutely frozen. He must be dreaming right? Or was he deaf? He must have misheard? Yeah that’s right. He must be going insane. Great, now how was he suppose to convince people he could run the company properly. The blush and fidgeting of Youngjae told him otherwise. It told him that this was real. That Youngjae was real. That Youngjae’s words were real. That his feelings were real. That everything that Daehyun had hoped for was coming into fruition. 

“Say something…” Youngjae began to pout, not liking the sudden silence. He swore to Jesus that if Daehyun suddenly broke out in laughter saying that it was a joke, he would bury him alive in cheesecake and throw him in the damn Han River.

Daehyun didn’t say a word, instead he leaned in and crashed his lips against Youngjae’s. The younger jumped at the sudden contact, but of course didn’t reject it. The kiss was brief and so chaste. Something out a Daehyun’s style. It was the mere pressing of lips, but to the both of them it was like a cherry on top of a sundae. Daehyun’s lips were soft and pillowy against Youngjae’s. The younger fangirling on how perfect they were. How well they felt against his lips. How soft they were. And Daehyun? The boy was doing flips inside his head. Finally he could have his favorite sausage lips all to himself. And he was now sober to enjoy them. His lips against Youngjae’s, it seemed to just click. That it was just something natural. Nothing forced, no unneeded lust. Just affection.  

The two separated from the brief kiss, a grin on their faces. “Gosh dang it, Daehyun, you’re gonna get me sick.”

“Nu-uh, didn’t you hear? Science says passing sicknesses helps ease the pain.” Daehyun grinned as Youngjae rolled his eyes. 

“Pfft, you know what kind of science that is? Bull science.” Youngjae chuckled, feeling Daehyun pull him closer. Now that the chipmunk was all is he wanted to relish in the other’s company. 

“Bull or not. I believe it,” Daehyun nodded his head in confidence. “Soooooo.”

“Sooooo?” Youngjae quirked a brow.

“Let’s keep kissing till I feel better.” Daehyun grinned brightly.

“You idiot.” Youngjae rolled his eyes, flicking Daehyun’s forehead. The older pouting in return. 

“Hey, I thought you loved me!” Daehyun whined, making a kissing face to make Youngjae comply. 

“I do love you,” Youngjae pecked Daehyun on the nose. “But I’m not getting sick for you.” 


Thanks for reading! Comments, critiques, and questions are really appreciated!

Well this is the last chapter guys....hahah jk jk! I'm pretty sure y'all would kill me! But the title probably fooled ya didn't it haha. It is definitely an end to a friendship and a start to a beautiful relationship. But my goodness a lot of stuff went down in this chapter. Soooooo many cute Daeup moments like even though they aint the main couple they cute as hell! Oh and a part of Daehyun's past has been revealed! Dun dun duuuuuun! And let's not forget, ahem...

THE CONFESSION! Daejae have now 100% officially became a couple heehee (took long enough right?) And going through all the angst and pain was worth it right? haha let me know what you think XD